Where in the heck is the 7AA chatter....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I thought Andover would be better. They must be one year away yet. FL is a work in progress. Coach Loo will have to keep the kids moving foward.[winand a tie] chisago is a must winif Rangers are going to the DECC in Feb.
kniven

Post by kniven »

old goalie85 wrote:I thought Andover would be better. They must be one year away yet. FL is a work in progress. Coach Loo will have to keep the kids moving foward.[winand a tie] chisago is a must winif Rangers are going to the DECC in Feb.
I have a feeling that Andover will be a very interesting team in the 7AA hierarchy with that Bantam team coming through the ranks the next couple years. Anybody have details on that group of kids? Thanks
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

kniven wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:I thought Andover would be better. They must be one year away yet. FL is a work in progress. Coach Loo will have to keep the kids moving foward.[winand a tie] chisago is a must winif Rangers are going to the DECC in Feb.
I have a feeling that Andover will be a very interesting team in the 7AA hierarchy with that Bantam team coming through the ranks the next couple years. Anybody have details on that group of kids? Thanks
No info on that group, but this year's PeeWee AA team is very impressive as well. Andover could be very good if they can hang on to their players.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I think one of the high school coaches has a kid or two coming in . Some kids around them that have enjoyed some success. My 9th grade son played the BAA team a few times last year. Very strong goalie as well. This season East and Rapids will dominate. Jackes a close third. Elks ???????? seem to self destruct since Sars left.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This was brought up on the YHH podcast, but what happened to GR defenseman Hunter Huson? He was a solid D-man last year and he's not on the roster.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
norcon

Post by norcon »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This was brought up on the YHH podcast, but what happened to GR defenseman Hunter Huson? He was a solid D-man last year and he's not on the roster.
Didn't make the final cut.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

norcon wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:This was brought up on the YHH podcast, but what happened to GR defenseman Hunter Huson? He was a solid D-man last year and he's not on the roster.
Didn't make the final cut.
:(
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

elliott70 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:*Sigh* I guess I'll roust myself from my slumber...

Hard to say too much about East yet, as the two teams they've played are probably the two biggest surprises in AA over the first week and a half. (One a good surprise, one not so good.) Nor do I think the Cloquet game will be a very good barometer, since that one's almost always close regardless of talent level. Marshall may be the same way, based on our sample size of one from last year. From a ranking standpoint, the games with Bemidji, Lakeville North, and Centennial over the next couple weeks will be the most valuable.

Andover has certainly looked decent in the early going, so that game with East on Saturday is worth keeping an eye on. If they continue to improve, they could easily join Cloquet and Marshall and maybe East in that middle tier. They're a young team, so the big question with the Huskies (as with Cloquet and Marshall and to some extent East) is how well those kids develop over the course of the year.

Looks like Flake will be hanging out with the Cambridges and St. Francises of the world this year.

Just hard to say too much yet. GR is really the only top team that has been tested against known quantities, and basically performed as expected.
Can East win any of these?
GR might win one of these, but I am thinking 7AA is overrated.
Nice evening for 7AA.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Last night on KOZY they said GR forward Jack Burnsin returns to the lineup vs Eden Prairie. This will be the first game of the season that GR will have their second line together, meaning first look at GR's forward depth. (Ahem YHH podcast)
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Well that should probably lock up the 1 seed for Rapids. :D
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I would think the Elks should be in the drivers seat. Congrats to them on a good tournament.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

alcloseshaver wrote:Well that should probably lock up the 1 seed for Rapids. :D
Worked last year :lol:
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Seeds come out in 9 more Wednesdays. Until then, as Mike Tice would say, "Enjoy the season".
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Just a little sarcasm DJ, North Bear thought it was funny and for that matter so did I :)
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I recognized the humor. My comment was of the "on another note" variety. I seem to remember GR was super overrated and lacked the heart of a champion according to some section 1AA fan after this game last year. This year I don't see too much knee-jerk reactions to one game. I saw the big picture and knew when GR settled on Holum in goal they would go on a run. This year it is obvious who the top 3 are in 7AA. What order will they finish who knows. Whomever gets the 1 seed better watch out for Cloquet. Esse has enough talent to work with to get ready thru the season and have primed to pull an upset at Amsoil. Duluth Marshall could also be that team. They also have an experienced coach who has been around long enough and probably has the talent not to reach state, but for one game to hang around long enough with one of the top 3 to score a late goal and steal a win. This week ER and GR both proved they can play good for 51 minutes and the next night make you wonder what happened to them. Still waiting for a chance to watch Karls Greyhounds, but they appear to have decent goaltending, solid D, a good top line and forwards as a whole that are on the verge of scoring more often vs top teams. I think we could see all of the top 3 teams on a roll going into sections. As for seeds, again that is a topic I'm kinda bored with until February. It's kind like Karl's response to a season where East is off to a slow start: "yawn".
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Last nights 3-1 loss to Elk River is further proof how top heavy this team really is. The 2nd and 3rd lines pose no offensive threat. The key to beating them is holding the first line to under 3 goals. As good as the goaltending is, the defenseman will try to rush the puck and turn it over and create good scoring chances for the opponents.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Last nights 3-1 loss to Elk River is further proof how top heavy this team really is. The 2nd and 3rd lines pose no offensive threat. The key to beating them is holding the first line to under 3 goals. As good as the goaltending is, the defenseman will try to rush the puck and turn it over and create good scoring chances for the opponents.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

north_bear

Post by north_bear »

^^^ Could you post it a few more times for the people that missed it the first three times?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

hadenuf wrote:Last nights 3-1 loss to Elk River is further proof how top heavy this team really is. The 2nd and 3rd lines pose no offensive threat. The key to beating them is holding the first line to under 3 goals. As good as the goaltending is, the defenseman will try to rush the puck and turn it over and create good scoring chances for the opponents.
First loss of the year and a top 3 or 4 team in the state. Not quite time to hit the panic button yet. For the most part the 2nd and 3rd lines have held their own and have contributed on the score sheet. I think they are doing better than some anticipated going into the season. The defense does like to carry the puck, especially stampohar who does it with ease, but there hasn't been near as many defensive breakdowns and turnovers that create scoring chances the other way compared to last year.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I recognized the humor. My comment was of the "on another note" variety. I seem to remember GR was super overrated and lacked the heart of a champion according to some section 1AA fan after this game last year. This year I don't see too much knee-jerk reactions to one game. I saw the big picture and knew when GR settled on Holum in goal they would go on a run. This year it is obvious who the top 3 are in 7AA. What order will they finish who knows. Whomever gets the 1 seed better watch out for Cloquet. Esse has enough talent to work with to get ready thru the season and have primed to pull an upset at Amsoil. Duluth Marshall could also be that team. They also have an experienced coach who has been around long enough and probably has the talent not to reach state, but for one game to hang around long enough with one of the top 3 to score a late goal and steal a win. This week ER and GR both proved they can play good for 51 minutes and the next night make you wonder what happened to them. Still waiting for a chance to watch Karls Greyhounds, but they appear to have decent goaltending, solid D, a good top line and forwards as a whole that are on the verge of scoring more often vs top teams. I think we could see all of the top 3 teams on a roll going into sections. As for seeds, again that is a topic I'm kinda bored with until February. It's kind like Karl's response to a season where East is off to a slow start: "yawn".
Yea. Elks, Indians, and the Greyhounds are clearly locked into the top 3 in 7AA. Cloquet, Andover, and Duluth Marshall fighting for that final home game. Objectly, I think the Elks of Elk River will finish on top. Indians second, and Greyhounds third in the section. 4-6 will be a dog fight. :)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East beat Marshall 4-1 tonight, shots 28-24 East. Marshall came out hard in the first few minutes, then East settled in and popped a few off some poor turnovers they create, and responded well when Marshall grabbed a goal. It was 3-1 after 1. Marshall had some moments of sustained zone time in the 2nd but couldn't quite generate enough, and then the Hounds put them away in the 3rd.

Right now, Marshall is certainly better than Cloquet. No real overwhelming talent at this point, but they're feisty and came out hitting. You could tell how much this game meant to them.

The Hounds have taken care of the 4-6-ranked teams in the section, which is a pleasant change of pace from the past two years. Now for the hard part in 7AA. Marshall never really let them get totally comfortable, but they made up for it by working hard and not doing stupid things. Meierhoff in goal has been a real bright spot so far, too...he has a .968 save percentage right now.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'm going to be watching tip ups tomorrow morning between Oconto and Peshtigo on The Bay. Was wondering if Syd and The Crew were making their way up to Injun Town to watch Da Worriers?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Holy moly 21 penalties in the GR - Brainerd game? What's up with that?