Section 7A (2016-2017)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:33 pm

rainier wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:Good analysis / section summary's so far! It surprises me how far Denfeld has fallen. I know they graduated some numbers, but why can't they pull in more kids from the youth levels? Do other teams in the section have this issue? Is it time for a change at the top?
Denfeld does seem to have some decent youth teams going right now, so if they keep their talent they should get back into the top 4 soon.
The problem is that almost all of the top kids on their youth teams are going to school at Marshall. And many good young players are playing at Hermantown. I don't see Denfeld in the top 4 anytime soon, if ever.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Alex beats Greenway in OT 5-4.

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:16 am

greenwayraider wrote:Unfortunately it's been confirmed. Troumbly is out for the season.
That sucks. Feel bad for him having to miss the rest of his senior season. :cry:
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:57 am

Greenway is not a top 10 team without him. The kid could put the puck in the net. They sure could have used him last night. Lot of scoring opportunities but couldn't finish. Alex never gave up and dominated the OT.

ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:12 am

Looks like they flirted with the most dangerous lead in hockey not once but twice?
Once you have a team by two you better put the dagger thru the heart!
They didn't and it nipped them in the butt.

Not sure how much is to blame on the goalie but it also looks like they need a goalie or a goalie coach?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 am

greenwayraider wrote:Greenway is not a top 10 team without him. The kid could put the puck in the net. They sure could have used him last night. Lot of scoring opportunities but couldn't finish. Alex never gave up and dominated the OT.
It is a significant loss for sure, but they have competed well without him against top ten teams, as evidenced by a win over Hibbing and an OT game vs Alex. They're still generating plenty of offense, the goaltending just needs to be more consistent.

It's eight weeks until playoffs begin. Doctor said no chance he could make it back by then?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:27 pm

The time frame given for Troumbly is 12 weeks. Bad jagged break that require surgery. He and Lantz worked so well together that Greenway plays at a different level when those two are on the ice. Against the quality teams they make the difference between winning versus just competing.

I can't blame the goalie for last night's loss. All of sudden Alex was having open passing lanes and room to manuever in the offensive zone. Hard to say whether Alex was moving the puck better or Greenway broke down defensively in their zone. The penalty that allowed Alex to get back into the game was the turning point.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Alex leads Hibbing 1-0 after one. Shots 14-4 Hibbing.

Hibbing has controlled play for the most part, but Alex's freshman goalie has been solid.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:09 pm

3-2 Alex after 2, shots 20-17 Hibbing.

Alex wins that period. Their top line and pp are very good.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:Curiosity question for those that know it well......if Hermantown does move up to AA......using youth hockey results or whatever other info and history available.......what year coming up lines up as their best chance for their first trip to the AA tourney?
I just got done watching Hermantown's JV squad literally dominate CEC 7-0. I've seen Hibbing and Virginia and Hermantown varsity. I honestly think Hermantown JV would be favored in 7A if they played varsity. So impressive that program is there in Hermantown. WOW!!!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Greenway and Rosemount tied 3-3. Greenway lost another player (forward) for disciplinary reasons. He got a misconduct last night for saying something to the ref. The defensemen sat out another game. A second defensemen got a misconduct today for saying something to the ref. Lot of attitude with some of these players. I don't envy Coach Clafton. Hope he can knock some sense into theses kids.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Tied 4-4, headed to OT. Great game. Shots 32-28 Hibbing.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Alex wins 5-4 in OT. Some controversy on winning goal, as I was close the net and it never appeared to go in. Wish I could see a replay.

Anyhoo, Alex's top line is fun to watch. Congrats to their team on the northern sweep!

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:20 pm

kniven wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:Curiosity question for those that know it well......if Hermantown does move up to AA......using youth hockey results or whatever other info and history available.......what year coming up lines up as their best chance for their first trip to the AA tourney?
I just got done watching Hermantown's JV squad literally dominate CEC 7-0. I've seen Hibbing and Virginia and Hermantown varsity. I honestly think Hermantown JV would be favored in 7A if they played varsity. So impressive that program is there in Hermantown. WOW!!!
I'll be sure to put Hermantown's JV at #2 in my next rankings. :D

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:32 pm

rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
#2? Who's better, greenway or Hibbing? Interesting. I'd put it Hermantown JV #1, Greenway #2, Hibbing #3, VirginiaMIB #4.

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:40 pm

kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
#2? Who's better, greenway or Hibbing? Interesting. I'd put it Hermantown JV #1, Greenway #2, Hibbing #3, VirginiaMIB #4.
I think Hermantown varsity still might have a slight edge over the Hermantown JV in 7A.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:30 pm

rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
I think Hermantown varsity still might have a slight edge over the Hermantown JV in 7A.
Of course they do! I'm saying Hermantown JV takes the varsity teams spot in 7A.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:22 am

kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
rainier wrote:
kniven wrote:
Of course they do! I'm saying Hermantown JV takes the varsity teams spot in 7A.
That begs the question of where would their varsity team rank in AA?

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:39 am

Wet Paint wrote:That begs the question of where would their varsity team rank in AA?
At this point? No better than 6 or 7. They lost to struggling Wayzata, tied good-but-not-great Lakeville South, and have only one real quality AA win, and that against a Minnetonka team that hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. After tying Cloquet and barely beating Roseville, I don't think Delano would be a top 20 team in a 2-class ranking right now. Maybe some teams will emerge down the stretch, but as a whole I'd say Class A is down some compared to where it often is versus the AA field.

Whataboutely

Post by Whataboutely » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:26 pm

Shout out to section 7A and how well the teams did in the recent holiday tournaments.

Hermantown and Marshall 1st and 2nd respectively in their tournament
I Falls took 1st in its tournament beating Warroad
North shore and Ely 2nd and 3rd respectively
Proctor and Eveleth going 2-1 in their tournament

Strong showing for the Northern teams

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Whataboutely wrote:Shout out to section 7A and how well the teams did in the recent holiday tournaments.

Duluth Marshall is a 7AA hockey program, which began last year. Hermantown is the 7A program.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Whataboutely wrote:Shout out to section 7A and how well the teams did in the recent holiday tournaments.

Yes! 218 hockey :)))

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Duluth Marshall is a 7AA hockey program, which began last year. Hermantown is the 7A program.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Here are the latest 7A rankings.
Overall record and 7A record are given for each team.

1. Hermantown- 8-1-1 (0-0) The Hawks had a great holiday week, as they beat Bemidji 4-0, Delano 4-3, and Duluth Marshall 3-1. By beating the #1 team in A Delano (while outshooting them almost 3:1), Hermantown will ascend to the #1 spot and likely stay there the rest of the season, as the only real threats left on their schedule are AA teams.

Hermantown and their fans will finally get to experience this strange thing called a “section game” this week, as they host Greenway, and after that they will travel to St. Cloud Cathedral. Neither team is likely to put a scare into the Hawks, but the chance does exist that the little pond-dwelling big fish from suburban Duluth may get caught looking ahead to the following week’s big showdown with GR, so they might only win each game by 4 or 5 goals.

If there were only some way for Hermantown to avoid having to play all these awful Class A schools so that they could play better competition throughout the season and into the playoffs, like they do at the youth levels. If only the MSHSL offered some type OPTion that would let them OPT UP to an OPTimal level to match their skill. Instead of playing all these C and D graded programs, wouldn’t it be great if they could somehow play against grade A teams, or better yet, teams that are so good they could be graded AA? :)

2. Greenway- 9-2-1 (5-1) The Raiders had a semi-rough week, as they lost to Alexandria in OT 5-4, beat New Ulm 3-2 in OT, and tied Rosemount 3-3. As uninspiring as these on-ice results were, the worst news of the week was that they lost top forward Troumbly to a foot fracture. However, Greenway beat Hibbing and took Alex to OT without Troumbly, so it’s not as if the sky is falling.

Greenway still has 7A games vs Hermantown, I-Falls twice, North Shore, and Virginia remaining, so as long as they beat the teams they should beat, possible non-section losses to GR, SPA, or Duluth Marshall shouldn’t hurt them come seeding time, and a win in any one of those games should lock the #2 seed down.

This week they travel to Hermantown and North Shore.

3. Hibbing- 7-4 (3-1) The Bluejackets had a decent week, as they beat New Ulm 4-0, lost in OT to Alexandria 5-4, then beat Virginia 5-3. I considered moving Hibbing ahead of Greenway due to their comparatively better performances against New Ulm and Virginia, but Hibbing does not have a signature win yet, and Greenway has the solid EGF road win under their belt. Hibbing’s losses are to Roseau, Cloquet, Greenway, and Alexandria, all teams that are Class A top ten caliber teams, but that big win still eludes them. Given that the only remaining signature win possibilities on Hibbing’s schedule are GR, EGF, and Hermantown, the Bluejackets may need Greenway to have a bad loss in order to pass them.

This week Hibbing travels down south to take on Mayo and Albert Lea, and should be the favorite in both games. A rematch with Virginia looms the following week.

4. Virginia- 5-7 (3-2) The Blue Devils didn’t fare well this week, as they lost to Alex 3-0, New Ulm 3-0, and Hibbing 5-3. While losing to Alex and Hibbing were likely, to the loss to New Ulm stings, particularly when you consider they outshot the Eagles 64-30.

But, all is not lost for Virginia, as it is still conceivable they could move up to #3, given they have two games vs Hibbing and one game vs Greenway left to go. The rest of 7A still awaits the return of Seitz to see how good this Virginia team actually is. Hopefully he returns before their next battle with Hibbing on 1/12, as a loss in that game would make the #4 spot their ceiling.

Their only game is a road trip to Eagan on Saturday.

5. Eveleth- 6-6 (4-3) The Golden Bears finished strong this week, as after losing to Fox Cities (wherever that is) 5-3, they beat Coon Rapids 4-3 and Austin 7-3. They remain behind Virginia due to losing the first head-to-head matchup with the Blue Devils. Eveleth still has a chance of moving up and/or solidifying their current position, as games against Hibbing, Virginia, and North Shore (twice) still await.

The Bears also head south this week to take on Mayo and Albert Lea.

6. North Shore- 7-2-1 (2-0) The Storm went 2-1 on the week, beating Red Lake Falls and Redwood Valley 6-0 and 7-1, respectively, and lost to Rice Lake 5-1. I think they had a good week, but I really don’t know how good their competition was and I’m far too lazy to find out.

They take on Superior this week, but the following week they finally start playing the higher tier 7A teams, starting with Greenway. This should give us a much clearer idea of where North Shore fits into these rankings.

7. Proctor-6-7 (1-2) The Rails had similar results to Eveleth, as they beat Coon Rapids 2-0, Austin 3-1, and lost to Fox Cities 7-1. Remaining games vs Eveleth, North Shore, Virginia, and Hibbing still give Proctor and chance to improve their position.

This week they take on Denfeld.

8. I-Falls- 4-8 (0-4) The Broncos may have had the second best week of any 7A team, as they beat Osseo 6-4, Grafton 8-6, and Warroad 3-2, which is their first victory over the Warriors since 2002! Proctor still holds the head-to-head advantage over I-Falls right now, but the schedule the rest of the way is loaded with potential huge 7A wins. (Virginia, Greenway twice, North Shore twice, Eveleth, Hibbing) I-falls has shown some real pluck in a couple 7A losses, so if this week was indeed a turning point, then they may have a run up the rankings in store.

They play Ely in their only game this week, and the following week they will face Virginia and Greenway.

9. Denfeld- 1-12 (0-3) The Hunters’ woes continued as they lost to Sheboygan 7-0, Mankato West 5-2, and St. Louis Park 6-2. Unfortunately, their schedule the rest of the way is ridiculously hard as they still have games against Duluth East, Hermantown, Duluth Marshall, Cloquet, Hibbing, and Grand Rapids. Oof!

This week though, the Hunters take on Proctor, so perhaps they can snatch a victory.

10. Ely- 5-4 (0-2) The Wolves beat Redwood Valley and Legacy Christian, but lost to Rice Lake. They are above .500 and still have four games against lower tier 7A opponents in which to make some noise.

The 7A Game of the Week: Greenway at Hermantown. The slim hopes of upsetting the Hawks became razor thin with the Troumbly news, but the Raiders did put a scare into Hermantown last regular season in a 2-1 loss. Do they believe in miracles? I do, but I’ll still take the Hawks 5-1.

Whataboutely

Post by Whataboutely » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 pm

My bad, should be the other way around with those 2 teams but lets not go there