Edina Classic

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Eden Prairie will be in home whites vs GR. Tomorrow GR will be in home whites vs Elk River.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
boblee

Post by boblee »

Just when we've thought Rapids was on to something, they've been boatraced in this game against EP. Hopefully they can avoid that tonight.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I arrived the moment GR made it 3-1, so all my thoughts are based on after that moment.

-Edina is a much better team than last year. I thought Brinkman was the best player on the ice, but Edina was careless with the puck & he was flat footed when was able to score the winner. But I don't think 1 mistake was indicative of how he played. He was a lot more assertive than I remember him last year. Perhaps it was because he was coming off an injury or was a freshman & more concerned about defensive responsibilities. But he seems to jump into the play at the right moments. He's an absolute stud!
-I really was surprised at the outcome after Edina was able to tie it up. They really seemed to control the play from 3-1 until it was 3-3. That's not to say GR didn't have some opportunities; they definitely did. But after it was 3-3, you just had the sense. But it seemed that GR kind of found a 2nd wind or something from that point & seemed a lot more in control (not in the game, but of themselves) from that point forward. Definitely odd. I don't know if they changed something up or what, but it seemed Edina had a little more difficulty with the puck in their own zone & the neutral zone. The way it ended after Edina tied it did surprise me.
-I thought GR's goalie was the biggest difference. He made a lot of great saves.

I think it will be interesting to see how GR & ER approach today's games. To be honest, I think their game is more important than Friday's games are. I wouldn't call it a throwaway game today by any means & beating Edina or Eden Prairie is definitely a feather in the cap, but perhaps not roll 2 lines & do every single thing possible to get the win, if that makes any sense? I know it's hard to turn on & off, but for sectional purposes, Saturday's game is more important.
As far as Saturday's ER/GR goes the section implications are overrated. History shows that beating GR or East in the regular season means little by seeding time. ER defeated GR handily last year and still was seeded behind them. The theme in 7AA is body of work and how you are playing now if it benefits your seed at the time. I am going to enjoy the season and not put section implications ahead of that.
Disagree. The only reason it came down to body of work last year is because the three top teams beat eachother during the regular season, therefore neutralizing everything. (ER beat GR, DE beat ER, GR beat DE). In that circumstance, it should come down to body of work and who is hot now. If ER, for example, beat DE, they probably would've got top seed. Saturday's match up is certainly not overrated.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I arrived the moment GR made it 3-1, so all my thoughts are based on after that moment.

-Edina is a much better team than last year. I thought Brinkman was the best player on the ice, but Edina was careless with the puck & he was flat footed when was able to score the winner. But I don't think 1 mistake was indicative of how he played. He was a lot more assertive than I remember him last year. Perhaps it was because he was coming off an injury or was a freshman & more concerned about defensive responsibilities. But he seems to jump into the play at the right moments. He's an absolute stud!
-I really was surprised at the outcome after Edina was able to tie it up. They really seemed to control the play from 3-1 until it was 3-3. That's not to say GR didn't have some opportunities; they definitely did. But after it was 3-3, you just had the sense. But it seemed that GR kind of found a 2nd wind or something from that point & seemed a lot more in control (not in the game, but of themselves) from that point forward. Definitely odd. I don't know if they changed something up or what, but it seemed Edina had a little more difficulty with the puck in their own zone & the neutral zone. The way it ended after Edina tied it did surprise me.
-I thought GR's goalie was the biggest difference. He made a lot of great saves.

I think it will be interesting to see how GR & ER approach today's games. To be honest, I think their game is more important than Friday's games are. I wouldn't call it a throwaway game today by any means & beating Edina or Eden Prairie is definitely a feather in the cap, but perhaps not roll 2 lines & do every single thing possible to get the win, if that makes any sense? I know it's hard to turn on & off, but for sectional purposes, Saturday's game is more important.
As far as Saturday's ER/GR goes the section implications are overrated. History shows that beating GR or East in the regular season means little by seeding time. ER defeated GR handily last year and still was seeded behind them. The theme in 7AA is body of work and how you are playing now if it benefits your seed at the time. I am going to enjoy the season and not put section implications ahead of that.
Disagree. The only reason it came down to body of work last year is because the three top teams beat eachother during the regular season, therefore neutralizing everything. (ER beat GR, DE beat ER, GR beat DE). In that circumstance, it should come down to body of work and who is hot now. If ER, for example, beat DE, they probably would've got top seed. Saturday's match up is certainly not overrated.
CakeScout17

Edina Classic Thurs nite Edina/GR tilt

Post by CakeScout17 »

Unfortunately I was only able to catch last 5 minutes of EP/ER...but forum provided great info. Losing Leiverman is a big deal and I agree that they did look gassed. But that was their first matchup versus top tier team. ER appeared to have some size, bulk and very disciplined. However, EP needed to lose and maybe that sleeping giant is now wide awake? Always fun to see what CM will no next...

ok, onto Edina/GR. Wow. Speechless. Having missed the EP/ER game I couldn't believe the intensity and pace right from the start. Immediately noticed GR has some serious size and bulk for HS kids...their starting G? Stejskal? every bit of listed 6'4" and 200? Impressive skills as well. Great eye for puck and quick twitch G. Fun to watch. Micah is Micah. wow. can he fly. picks his spots and OFF HE GOES! Just a bur. Solid as Brinkman is I think Micahs go-ahead-goal in 3rd caught him by surprise. Cant fault the kid. talent is talent and Micah has it.

Edina, being a younger team overall (sans, Scheerer and 3-4 other role players) with boatload of sophs showed a lot of sandpaper and heart. Good to see. I agree wholeheartedly they are better than last year albeit with younger team...Jett Jungels get better with every game and has serious upside and bright future...good speed. Sammy Walker is a joy to watch in the open ice...scary speed and stick handling...knows where to be a pass ahead, a play ahead. Lot of young players to watch here though...Brinkmans' lineman, jake Boltmann (future Gopher) is a 9th grader and looks like a junior. Edina goalie...seemed bit nervous. Needs to settle in...but ways to go there.

GR is the real deal. Size, intensity, scorers in Micah Miller, McLaughlin and really impressed by Gavin Hain (NoDak commit)...good D and solid goalie with size and skill. They will be a tough out. Cannot wait for tonight's entertainment...$7 and unreal competitive hockey with pure speed. Buckle up EP and Edina cuz the boys from up North bring it hard and never stop!

So fun!

PS - one more thing...and I know with all due respect...they are HS kids...even some seniors still have lot to learn and room to grow, but I have to put this out there...there is a player who will remain nameless and numberless here as these are HS kids...but if you have seen Edina so far this year or caught any of the Fall Elite league games - there is a player that is displaying a pouty, whiny attitude and 'flopped' twice in the GR game...pretty weak. Youre an upperclassmen son...you have experience, height and some skills...so be A SENIOR and LEAD! Not sayin, just sayin. But rumblings among fans? People are noticing...Not sure how / why Giles puts up w/ this...but time will tell.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

sanryam wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:

I get that, ER could have been the 2 seed though and few years ago they beat East in regular season and still were seeded behind them. Just saying head to head means less in this section.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I don't have audio on the stream. Is it just me?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I don't have audio on the stream. Is it just me?
Working fine here.
grindiangrad-80

Scoreless after 1. Both teams with some chances. I would call it it an even period.
grindiangrad-80

karl(east) wrote:
Working fine here.
I got it about half way through the period.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

The sync between picture and sound is off a bit on mine.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Audio's working fine for me.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Sound is a bit quicker than video here, but not bad.

Pretty even first period. Some good chances from both teams. Still getting used to how easily the nets come off at braemer.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Audio's working fine for me.
Try - http://pointstreaksites.com/view/lph/bo ... f-the-week
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

There goes that Grand Rapids top line scoring all its goals again. Too unbalanced. :P
grindiangrad-80

karl(east) wrote:There goes that Grand Rapids top line scoring all its goals again. Too unbalanced. :P
They do seem to find a way to score. It looks to me like a very even game though. Holum has been very good. The goalie tandem has been real good. Mittlestadt is something to watch.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Does Middlestadt seem a little off his game?
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

GR up 3-0 after dman Anderson buries a nice feed from dman Heitkamp.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

north_bear wrote:GR up 3-0 after dman Anderson buries a nice feed from dman Heitkamp.
There's a little bit of secondary scoring for them.

I don't know if Mittelstadt is off; he's had some fine flashes. I do think the Eagles as a whole look awfully individualistic, though. Much like last season, they just don't seem like they have a ton of chemistry, and haven't done much to correct that. You can't blame that all on Leivermann's absence, either.

GR, on the other hand, has taken steps to fix up its weaknesses. The defense beyond Stampohar may not be blessed with incredible skill, but they don't do dumb things anymore, and the goaltending has been the difference-maker.

If ER wins tonight, the early game tomorrow could plausibly be #1 vs. #2.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

karl(east) wrote:
north_bear wrote:GR up 3-0 after dman Anderson buries a nice feed from dman Heitkamp.
There's a little bit of secondary scoring for them.

I don't know if Mittelstadt is off; he's had some fine flashes. I do think the Eagles as a whole look awfully individualistic, though. Much like last season, they just don't seem like they have a ton of chemistry, and haven't done much to correct that. You can't blame that all on Leivermann's absence, either.

GR, on the other hand, has taken steps to fix up its weaknesses. The defense beyond Stampohar may not be blessed with incredible skill, but they don't do dumb things anymore, and the goaltending has been the difference-maker.

If ER wins tonight, the early game tomorrow could plausibly be #1 vs. #2.
ER might be in for a handful, Cake put 50 shots on GR last night. Meyers will need to play well again, history has shown some inconsistency in the the past but has been solid this year.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Another high caliber top 5 Minn HS hockey game tonite.

GR kids must had extra bottle of energy drink compared to yesterday.

SOGs pretty even . Thawks got 3 by Wiencek , vs Gabe just about got a shutout. What a pair of goalies they have!

Lots of bodies on CM again , whereas no bodies could slow down the Blake McGlaughlin show. The kid was on fire!

I'd say about 500 GR fans, despite the weather. Pretty neat.
grindiangrad-80

Very nice showing for GR. That Eden Prairie hurdle was a big one. 10-0-1 was nice to overcome. I also understand the importance of Lieverman being out.

As a Gopher fan I am looking forward to Mittlestadt and McLaughlin for a couple years. Should be a few highlight goals there.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elks getting knocked around some, need to utilize their quickness if they have the legs. Meyers keeping them in it with one of the best saves ever.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

alcloseshaver wrote:Meyers keeping them in it with one of the best saves ever.
That one should be on ESPN tomorrow. Unreal.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Almost unwatchable with how easy the nets come off at Braemer.