Referendum for a new Arena in Proctor

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Proctor Hockey

Referendum for a new Arena in Proctor

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Duluth News Tribune article about the proposed new Arena in Proctor. Let's hope we can get it done.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/e ... facilities

kniven

Re: Referendum for a new Arena in Proctor

Post by kniven » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Proctor Hockey wrote:Duluth News Tribune article about the proposed new Arena in Proctor. Let's hope we can get it done.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/e ... facilities
Agreed. I've filmed plenty of hockey games the last several years at the Proctor rink. Yes, Proctor Hockey needs a new home rink for sure....

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 pm

I'm curious to know what the design is like. When spending that kind of money on a new facility I hope they don't commit tragic errors of some rinks such as putting a walkway between the boards and the first row of seating. The first row should be like at Heritage or the IRA Civic Center, slammed up against the boards and glass and the walkways should ALWAYS be behind the last row of seating.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Here are links to what the Arena will look like from the outside and also the floor plan.

http://www.proctor.k12.mn.us/ourpages/a ... 0arena.pdf

http://www.proctor.k12.mn.us/ourpages/a ... usSite.pdf

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:36 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I'm curious to know what the design is like. When spending that kind of money on a new facility I hope they don't commit tragic errors of some rinks such as putting a walkway between the boards and the first row of seating. The first row should be like at Heritage or the IRA Civic Center, slammed up against the boards and glass and the walkways should ALWAYS be behind the last row of seating.
I would agree with that. The only reason I can think of for not having it that way is the added expense of adding an elevator to make it handicap accessible.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Proctor Hockey wrote:Here are links to what the Arena will look like from the outside and also the floor plan.

Looks awesome! What season would it be ready for if the referendum passes?

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:16 pm

kniven wrote:
Proctor Hockey wrote:Here are links to what the Arena will look like from the outside and also the floor plan.

Looks awesome! What season would it be ready for if the referendum passes?
The earliest estimate from one of the contractors is that it would be ready in December of 2017. That seems a little bit ambitious but I suppose is doable. It might be safer to assume the 2018-2019 season.

blueblood

Proctor

Post by blueblood » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Good luck Proctor. Looks like a great rink

Proctor Hockey

Re: Proctor

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm

blueblood wrote:Good luck Proctor. Looks like a great rink
Thanks Blue! We're optimistic, but you never know for sure how these things will go.

blueblood

Proctor

Post by blueblood » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:15 pm

Get Lee pumping up the community :wink:

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am

blueblood wrote:Get Lee pumping up the community :wink:
We'll take any help we can get!

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 pm

You should really reconsider the walkway, and no you don't need an elevator to have adequate ADA seating. The ADA seating could go at the corners elevated a couple feet via a ramp and platform. I would think sightlines would be something to take pride in when building a new venue. A walkway in front of the first row will be the worst option no matter what. No one likes to have people constantly obstructing their view for visits to the restroom or concessions.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:You should really reconsider the walkway, and no you don't need an elevator to have adequate ADA seating. The ADA seating could go at the corners elevated a couple feet via a ramp and platform. I would think sightlines would be something to take pride in when building a new venue. A walkway in front of the first row will be the worst option no matter what. No one likes to have people constantly obstructing their view for visits to the restroom or concessions.
Something tells me a post on this bored won't have much pull when determining the layout of the new arena.
The U invented swagger.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Are you kidding? They still see me as an outsider, a Cake. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:11 pm

east hockey wrote:
Are you kidding? They still see me as an outsider, a Cake. :)

Lee
Plenty of Greyhounds alum in Proctor Lee. Everyone is welcome. And I like German Chocolate if you're buying! :)

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:23 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:You should really reconsider the walkway, and no you don't need an elevator to have adequate ADA seating. The ADA seating could go at the corners elevated a couple feet via a ramp and platform. I would think sightlines would be something to take pride in when building a new venue. A walkway in front of the first row will be the worst option no matter what. No one likes to have people constantly obstructing their view for visits to the restroom or concessions.
I guess it's something I've never thought of personally, but that's probably because I always sit up high when I go to games. I don't like watching through glass if I don't have to. I will pass on the suggestion to those with the ability to change it. Could be something people don't think about.

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Referendum Passes. Brand New, $10.5 Million Arena for Proctor! Estimated completion date is February, 2018.

State of the Art Arena for one Association. Great shot in the arm for our Program.

Also $1.3 Million for turf for the Football and Baseball fields and $250,000 for improvements to youth facilities in the area.

Great Day to be a Rail!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Proctor Hockey wrote:Referendum Passes. Brand New, $10.5 Million Arena for Proctor! Estimated completion date is February, 2018.

State of the Art Arena for one Association. Great shot in the arm for our Program.

Also $1.3 Million for turf for the Football and Baseball fields and $250,000 for improvements to youth facilities in the area.

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

:D

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:40 am

elliott70 wrote:
Proctor Hockey wrote:Referendum Passes. Brand New, $10.5 Million Arena for Proctor! Estimated completion date is February, 2018.

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

Well done Proctor! :)

goaline

Post by goaline » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:11 am

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

Great for Proctor Hockey but whatever architect put the player boxes on the same side of the already small seating has no idea what they are doing... And locker rooms sharing a hallway and bathrooms with crowd flow + no separate player/ team entrance... If you're going to spend 10 million, have a hockey arena adviser making sure it gets done right

I'd be concerned

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:46 am

goaline wrote:
kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

Great for Proctor Hockey but whatever architect put the player boxes on the same side of the already small seating has no idea what they are doing... And locker rooms sharing a hallway and bathrooms with crowd flow + no separate player/ team entrance... If you're going to spend 10 million, have a hockey arena adviser making sure it gets done right

I'd be concerned
There won't be any crowd flow by the Youth Locker Rooms and Rest rooms. That is the player entrance and a Vestibule for players/coaches only. The Main entrance is on the opposite side of the Arena, that is where the public rest rooms are. High School locker rooms have their own rest rooms. I have yet to see crowd flow be a problem at a youth game in 40 years, but I suppose that would be a good problem to have.

goaline

Post by goaline » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:50 am

Proctor Hockey wrote:
goaline wrote:
kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

I'd be concerned
There won't be any crowd flow by the Youth Locker Rooms and Rest rooms. That is the player entrance and a Vestibule for players/coaches only. The Main entrance is on the opposite side of the Arena, that is where the public rest rooms are. High School locker rooms have their own rest rooms. I have yet to see crowd flow be a problem at a youth game in 40 years, but I suppose that would be a good problem to have.
crowd flow means your fans use the same hallways and common spaces as the players -- poor design

Its not too late to put the players boxes opposite the seating and sightline issues

Proctor Hockey

Post by Proctor Hockey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:18 am

goaline wrote:
Proctor Hockey wrote:
goaline wrote:
kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

Great Day to be a Rail!
Congrats!

I'd be concerned
crowd flow means your fans use the same hallways and common spaces as the players -- poor design

Its not too late to put the players boxes opposite the seating and sightline issues
Good point. I do know that the design is not final yet, so maybe that can still be addressed.

Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Congrats! At the very least put benches on opposite side of bleachers. If you don't the sight lines will be bad for 40 percent of the bleachers. Other people have said this and it's critical-if you have crowd entering from bottom to go up creating a walk way in front of first row, you will be forever disappointed. Flow has to be from top down! The extra expense for an elevator is worth it in a 10 million dollar building.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 pm

The design discussion always cracks me up.

Has to be a top 5 design list after building thousands of f'ing rinks.