AA state champs 2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is state champs (other than Stillwater)?

Edina
16%
Elk River
20%
Grand Rapids
27%
Hill Murray
9%
Moorhead
5%
Centennial
9%
Write in below..
14%

Total votes: 44

elliott70

AA state champs 2017

Post by elliott70 »

About half down with the season.
Other than Stillwater, who do you pick to be state champs?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Why "Other than Stillwater"?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Why "Other than Stillwater"?
Because they would get the most votes as they are the favorites today.
I want to see who people think can beat them...
same for Single A
kniven

Post by kniven »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Why "Other than Stillwater"?
Hermantown
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I think STA has a real shot at the title. Great coaching, great goaltending, good D, a couple of snipers and a relatively easy section. Look out for this team.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:I think STA has a real shot at the title. Great coaching, great goaltending, good D, a couple of snipers and a relatively easy section. Look out for this team.
I agree they will be a threat and definitely have the easiest road to state based on their section (although I thought that last year too). I just dont know if they have enough firepower up front to beat 3 good teams in a row. A lot can change still but would guess their goalie might have to steal a game or two give them a chance.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Who has three of the best snipers/top scorers in the state? Two of the best goalies? Two of the best D men? And has experience getting through the toughest section, and at the XL venue .. There is your answer...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Edina
It's amazing how Edina has reloaded after losing so many players the last few years...
They'll also probably improve the most as the season goes along.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

WestMetro wrote:Who has three of the best snipers/top scorers in the state? Two of the best goalies? Two of the best D men? And has experience getting through the toughest section, and at the XL venue .. There is your answer...
Assume you will be at the game Friday with GR vs HF?
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

MrBoDangles wrote:Edina
It's amazing how Edina has reloaded after losing so many players the last few years...
Who are you and what have you done with the real Bo?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I agree with MrBo on this one. Edina has been very good in the games I have watched. Hill Murray is quietly having a nice season too.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Face09, yes will be there

GrindianGrad-80----abandoning your own Thawks so soon?

Anyway, one big edge to GR down the stretch is experienced returning elite starting goalie with playoff experience. And if he gets hurt, another elite one.
grindiangrad-80

WestMetro wrote:Face09, yes will be there

Anyway, one big edge to GR down the stretch is experienced returning elite starting goalie with playoff experience. And if he gets hurt, another elite one.
No, not at all. They have as good a chance as anyone to win it all. There just seems to be quite a few others in the same boat. If GR makes it to state I think they will win it. Getting out of 7AA is going to be the hardest part.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

WestMetro wrote:Face09, yes will be there

Will GR stay alternating goalies? or will they settle in on one very soon? Seems to me they are both playing very well and might give the edge to the one with "zero" playoff experience.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

The dads aren't all metro sexuals like I've noticed in the past... Some even drink whiskey!

They might have something to say about best first line in the state..
CakeScout17

State Champs? Meandering CAKE...

Post by CakeScout17 »

Hoping the Xmas tourneys would bring clarity, alas they did not.
Yes, 'Karl East' is the best with spot on summaries and logical rankings - he sees a lot. 'Green4' is deeply knowledgeable on the Edina front along with Mr Bo - that said, bear with me re: my take on recent CAKE...

Edina was dealt a tough early schedule for such a young squad but thats how you develop - The Edina Classic proved that, esp at hands of GR...the young Hornets bounced back and trounced ER which caught me by surprise only to be throttled a by a highly motivated EP squad that had to avoid a 0-3 Edina Classic weekend. The net week I caught the STA @ EP tilt and was impressed by the physicality and size of STA - good teamwork, good defense and last but not least Atticus Kelly was sharp. 2-2 OT tie with EP. I left thinking Edina was not in either of their leagues - at least not this year.

I predicted Schawns Cup would be out of reach for the Hornets thinking they'd be 1-2. And BRAM! They played hard, fast and tough all 3 games and win the Schwans hardware highlighted by Bram Scheerers' highlight reel breakaway vs. STA. Soon as you think you know where this season is headed it changes. At times Edina appears overmatched and others they just steamroll, however, my eye test puts Stillwater, GR and STA above the Hornet. And why do I feel like EP is just yawning until Sections start? That team will have its say as they chase state hardware not a Xmas tourney nobody remembers in March...???

Overall though? The top teams each seem to have 1 top, solid line and then a significant drop-off...bit watered down? Maybe Im wrong...but as good of a run as Edina is on I feel like their youth holds them back as the defensive turnovers and lapses in energy are hard to figure out...feels like lack of leadership from upperclassmen. Sammy is fun to watch, Bram is a talented cherry-picker but neither are physical...zero 'sandpaper' some might say...thats kind of this team overall...earlier this winter a post said Hornets seemed a 'year away'...I agree. The plethora of Sophs will be older, seasoned, bigger, thicker and grittier. Brinkiman hopefully stays at least through his Junior year ('17-'18) as he is a 3-sport star and Sammy W returns as a senior to avoid the WHL too early before becoming a Gopher. Then add in a handful of elite Bantams (N. Williams, Cole Cavanagh & Ben Dexheimer) and off they go!
My cake take was proven tonight (Tues 1/3/17) versus B'ville. Up 4-1 by Lewis Crosby's hatter Edina coasted into 3rd period, played on their heels and booked 2 trips to the sin bin, one a 5 minute major by Crosby, and a pouty Bram with a 2 min boarding call - as they BARELY ESCAPED a determined, vengeful Braves squad 5-4. Poor discipline, cruise control mode...thats yout (the Malmquists, Nannes and Fiddlers wouldn't stand for this though).
One other note: Brinkman seems about 80%...less physical last 2 games?maybe he's got lingering injury? Watch out for trap game this Thursday vs. WBL...with H-M, Centennial and 2 dates each with EP and Wayzata you simply can't afford to coast. Bring the heat every game, ALL GAME - But make no mistake - the Hornet speed is fun to watch..damn good cake, but it will rise even higher next year!
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Getting out of 7AA is going to be the hardest part.
That's funny. And also a bit delusional.
TheMayor

Re: State Champs? Meandering CAKE...

Post by TheMayor »

CakeScout17 wrote:Sammy W returns as a senior to avoid the WHL too early before becoming a Gopher.
He won't be going to the W if he wants to be a Gopher.
grindiangrad-80

TheMayor wrote:
Wasn't trying to be funny. Just my opinion.
rainier

Post by rainier »

TheMayor wrote:
GR could very well have to play East and ER in the 7AA semis and final, and then at state they could face Roseau, Lakeville South, and EP, for example. That's one scenario among many where I'd say winning 7AA would be the hard part.

As the rankings stand right now, if GR beats ER to go to state, then facing Stillwater at the X is the only way state would be tougher than 7AA.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:I think STA has a real shot at the title. Great coaching, great goaltending, good D, a couple of snipers and a relatively easy section. Look out for this team.
I agree Blue. STA has a very nice mix going. Their forwards move as well without the puck as any group I have seen in some time. Coaching must be sinking in for the Cadets because what they do is definitely NOT pond hockey. Having 2 good goalies helps as well. As most have noted they should get to State, and then it's a matter of getting hot like anyone else. The 3-games in a row thing at State shouldn't be lost on anyone. Makes the one-line teams more vulnerable for sure. I will say this year should be one of the few where all 8 teams who make it to State, barring some serious upsets, should have a legitimate shot at winning their quarterfinal games. Let's assume seeds from section champs are as teams currently ranked by Karl. Stillwater 1, ER/GR 2, Edina 3, STA 4, Cent. 5, LVN 6, EP 7, Roseau/MH 8. With the exception of Roseau/MH maybe, a lower seed has as good a chance as ever to beat a higher seed.
green4

Post by green4 »

Edina looks good, but there is a lot of time left in the season for something to change. Crosby has stepped up a lot and the D is promising. I don't agree with the above comments about Walker being a no-sandpaper type player. I think taking into account his size he does quite well going into dirty areas or lowering a shoulder, moving his feet and rushing to the front of the net. You don't have to throw a big Brinkman sized hit to be a player who plays with an edge.
As an Edina fan I still worry about Wayzata, they have the talent to win one final game. I can already picture the Trojans finishing the year 7-16 or something and beating Edina in the section final, but I'm a bit of a pessimist.

Probably too early for me to decide upon a front runner for a championship. Im expecting some upsets in sections so I think at least one of the favorites will be missing. I guess if I had to pick one team it might be STA, but I'll come back to this question in February
CakeScout17

Hornet follow-up

Post by CakeScout17 »

Correct - if Sammy stays on Gopher path or any college path then no WHL unlike his brothers. I think Lincoln Stars own Sammys 'rights'? Hoping he stays for senior year and plays in Lincoln for a '18-19 then Gophs. He's a terrific talent but needs some weight and muscle for D1 puck to be sure.

Green4 spot on. Love Sammy, fun to watch, fast and such a playmaker...always plays with his head UP! Surely wasnt knocking him specifically for lack of sandpaper...just kind of an overall take on the Edina skill players like Sammy, Bram, Jett Jungles...talented, speed, scorers but no grit on those front lines or wings for that matter. You're right though - Crosby has really come on this year, hat trick last night and almost a 4th goal twice over...Crosby really showing some speed and deft scoring touch lately. Nice to see his development. He plays with an edge and gets in the corners. Again, just a bit smaller team overall but speed kills. February will prove all. And yes, totally agree could be upset central in sectionals. Wayzata and EP will have much to say in late Feb/early March...'sleeping giants'? I think so.
Enjoy the ride!
BlueLineSpecial

in soviet russia...

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I am really high on STA. I'm very interested to see if Hill can hang with them tomorrow night. If they do, it'll give me hope the pioneers can play with the best in the state, and have a legit shot at the title. My concern, as it has been for the last 3 years....where will the scoring come from on a consistent basis? They might have an outburst here and there, but a lack of consistent high end scorers is hurting Hill badly. If Hill scores two goals or less (an apparent trend against very good teams) and/or gets beat by a couple or more, it'll unfortunately re-enforce my belief that this year's pioneers just don't have the offensive punch to compete for a championship.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Green 4

I think Crosby is the most over performing under reported AA player this year,

(With the possible exception of Stillwaters Stanton.)

I believe Crosby is still the team leading scorer , even though he has four D1s elsewhere on the team. Ironic-love it!!

Ps I see Grand Rapids has now passed up elk river in the polling