Class A Rankings 2-5-17

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins section 6A?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:21 am

Alexandria
38%
Cathedral
50%
Fergus Falls
13%
Little Falls
No votes
Sartell-St Stephen
No votes
Someone else
No votes

Total votes: 16

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 2-5-17

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 am

We're getting toward the end of the season and not much is changing at this point. It looks like Hermantown may be the best team in the state and there is a clear divide between the top 4 and the rest of the state. Hopefully someone can give Hermantown a game at the X.

1. [1] Hermantown (18-1-1)
The Hawks shut out Virginia and Cloquet on the road then crushed Mahtomedi on the road.

2. [2] Delano/Rockford (18-2-1)
The Tigers beat Orono and New Prague handily.

3. [3] Breck (17-3-2)
The Mustangs crushed Mahtomedi and beat Greenway and Providence academy.

4. [4] St. Paul Academy (18-3-0)
The Spartans beat Blake, Minnehaha Academy and Mankato West.

5. [5] St. Cloud Cathedral (16-4-2)
9-0 shut out over Little Falls.

6. [6] Mahtomedi (11-10-0)
Lost to Breck by 6 and Hermantown by 7. Important game with Cathedral this week...

7. [7] East Grand Forks (12-6-2)
Beat Crookston and shut out Warroad, both on the road.

8. [9] Sartell (13-5-3)
Shut out Little Falls and beat Wilmar on the road.

9. [10] Alexandria (13-6-3)
Lost to Brainerd. 2 important games coming up this week in Little Falls and Sartell.

10. [8] Totino-Grace (10-9-1)
After running hot for a while ending with a win over Spring Lake Park, the Eagles lost to Irondale.

11. [11] Hibbing/Chisholm (13-7-0)
Beat Proctor and International Falls, both on the road.

12. [12] Orono (12-8)
Only game last week got crushed by Delano.

13. [15] Fergus Falls (14-8-1)
Lost by 2 on the road to St Cloud.

14. [-] Blake (11-9-0)
Lost by 1 to SPA and beat Minnehaha by 1.

15. [13] Northfield (14-4-2)
Started the week losing to a team they'd previously beaten, then shut out two teams.

Kinda_Normal_Tendy

Re: Class A Rankings 2-5-17

Post by Kinda_Normal_Tendy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:We're getting toward the end of the season and not much is changing at this point. It looks like Hermantown may be the best team in the state and there is a clear divide between the top 4 and the rest of the state. Hopefully someone can give Hermantown a game at the X.

1. [1] Hermantown (18-1-1)
The Hawks shut out Virginia and Cloquet on the road then crushed Mahtomedi on the road.

2. [2] Delano/Rockford (18-2-1)
The Tigers beat Orono and New Prague handily.

3. [3] Breck (17-3-2)
The Mustangs crushed Mahtomedi and beat Greenway and Providence academy.

4. [4] St. Paul Academy (18-3-0)
The Spartans beat Blake, Minnehaha Academy and Mankato West.

5. [5] St. Cloud Cathedral (16-4-2)
9-0 shut out over Little Falls.

6. [6] Mahtomedi (11-10-0)
Lost to Breck by 6 and Hermantown by 7. Important game with Cathedral this week...

7. [7] East Grand Forks (12-6-2)
Beat Crookston and shut out Warroad, both on the road.

8. [9] Sartell (13-5-3)
Shut out Little Falls and beat Wilmar on the road.

9. [10] Alexandria (13-6-3)
Lost to Brainerd. 2 important games coming up this week in Little Falls and Sartell.

10. [8] Totino-Grace (10-9-1)
After running hot for a while ending with a win over Spring Lake Park, the Eagles lost to Irondale.

11. [11] Hibbing/Chisholm (13-7-0)
Beat Proctor and International Falls, both on the road.

12. [12] Orono (12-8)
Only game last week got crushed by Delano.

13. [15] Fergus Falls (14-8-1)
Lost by 2 on the road to St Cloud.

14. [-] Blake (11-9-0)
Lost by 1 to SPA and beat Minnehaha by 1.

15. [13] Northfield (14-4-2)
Started the week losing to a team they'd previously beaten, then shut out two teams.
The fact that your number 6 team in the state lost to number 1 by 7 goals and number 3 by 6 goals makes me already start picturing how ugly some of the first round games are going to be at this years tournament. Everyone is going to throw a fit about how bad 1A 3A and 5A are because the only one who is likely to not get completely blown out is whoever draws the number 3 seeded team, and even they might. The top 3 for sure (maybe 4) teams seem to be capable of beating teams that round out your top 10-15 pretty handedly. I don't mean for this post to sound like I'm saying these sections are as strong as others because I think everyone knows that they aren't as of right now, but I'm just trying to point out that I think the majority of A teams in the state would struggle to give them a game at the tournament not just whoever makes it out of these three sections. Hope I'm wrong.

BP

Post by BP » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 am

The fact that your number 6 team in the state lost to number 1 by 7 goals and number 3 by 6 goals makes me already start picturing how ugly some of the first round games are going to be at this years tournament. Everyone is going to throw a fit about how bad 1A 3A and 5A are because the only one who is likely to not get completely blown out is whoever draws the number 3 seeded team, and even they might. The top 3 for sure (maybe 4) teams seem to be capable of beating teams that round out your top 10-15 pretty handedly. I don't mean for this post to sound like I'm saying these sections are as strong as others because I think everyone knows that they aren't as of right now, but I'm just trying to point out that I think the majority of A teams in the state would struggle to give them a game at the tournament not just whoever makes it out of these three sections. Hope I'm wrong.[/quote]

The problem is, Mahtomedi is not a top 10 team. They are .500 now. A .500 team should not be top 10. When you get shutout by Tartan, and have running time vs. Breck and Hermatown, you are 11-14 in state. There are teams from 7-15 that have played those same teams with better results. SPA walks through their section.

That said, there will be a some blowouts with the 1A, 3A, and 5A teams. But if it played out, state would look something like this:

(2) Breck or Delano (I think Breck wins it) vs 1A/3A/5A
(3) SPA vs. 1A/3A/5A
(1) Hermatown vs. 1A/3A/5A
4 seed vs. 5 seed (this will be a great game - most likely Cathedral vs EGF)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Kinda_Normal_Tendy wrote: The fact that your number 6 team in the state lost to number 1 by 7 goals and number 3 by 6 goals makes me already start picturing how ugly some of the first round games are going to be at this years tournament.... The top 3 for sure (maybe 4) teams seem to be capable of beating teams that round out your top 10-15 pretty handedly. I don't mean for this post to sound like I'm saying these sections are as strong as others because I think everyone knows that they aren't as of right now, but I'm just trying to point out that I think the majority of A teams in the state would struggle to give them a game at the tournament not just whoever makes it out of these three sections. Hope I'm wrong.
I don't think you are.
It doesn't seem like anyone can play with the Top 4 (and one of them can't make state) and Hermantown first game that doesn't go to running time will be in the final.

The first round will have 1 good game. The consolation bracket should be even ability teams. The semifinals should be 1 good game and 1 lopsided game. And the finals should be good.
BP wrote:The problem is, Mahtomedi is not a top 10 team. They are .500 now. A .500 team should not be top 10. When you get shutout by Tartan, and have running time vs. Breck and Hermatown, you are 11-14 in state. There are teams from 7-15 that have played those same teams with better results. SPA walks through their section.
What are your thoughts on Cathedral? They lost in regulation to SPA early in the season and lost 1-7 to Hermantown. I'm also aware they lost 2-4 to Breck and 4-8 to Delano.

So you're saying that losing 7 games to AA teams makes you not a good Class A team? I definitely think the shut out losses to Cretin and Tartan seem odd, but the rest of their season has been good. Their record against Class A is 6-3, with the 3 losses coming to 3 of the Top 4 teams in the class:
4-5 L SPA
7-1 W SSP
7-1 W Simley
7-5 W TG
3-0 W Sibley
3-0 W Blake
3-0 W TRF
1-7 L Breck
2-9 L Hermantown

Who has done better against these teams? You could include Hill/STA/Buffalo/Cretin/etc if you'd like.

Games against MV, STA and Cathedral will be a good measuring stick this week.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:13 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:What are your thoughts on Cathedral? They lost in regulation to SPA early in the season and lost 7-1 to Hermantown. I'm also aware they lost 4-2 to Breck and 8-4 to Delano.

So you're saying that losing 7 games to AA teams makes you not a good Class A team? I definitely think the shut out losses to Cretin and Tartan seem odd, but the rest of their season has been good. Their record against Class A is 6-3, with the 3 losses coming to 3 of the Top 4 teams in the class:
5-4 L SPA
7-1 W SSP
7-1 W Simley
7-5 W TG
3-0 W Sibley
3-0 W Blake
3-0 W TRF
7-1 L Breck
9-2 L Hermantown

Who has done better against these teams? You could include Hill/STA/Buffalo/Cretin/etc if you'd like.

Games against MV, STA and Cathedral will be a good measuring stick this week.