8AA play-offs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Ram Hockey
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:58 pm
Location: Roseau, Minnesota
Contact:

Post by Ram Hockey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 am

Green and White Fan wrote:From what I have gathered, Bemidji and Brainerd ended up tied and they decided it with a coin flip. Not certain if that is true, but only what i am hearing.
Yes, it was done with a coin flip after both teams split and after each team throwing out seed they gave each other.

backcheck9
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Post by backcheck9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 am

You can argue that STMA benefited from only playing the northern teams once but as GWF pointed out, logistically it is very difficult to play all of them twice. It has nothing to do with avoiding them or trying to be smart! I suspect this will be the case as long as they stay in the same section together. Teams will need to understand the weight of a single game head to head match-up. I would love to know why Brainerd and STMA never played this season. Obviously that game would have been a big factor in this also.
Maybe they really did draw them out of a hat! :lol:

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 am

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

WOW, the travesty of these seeding! How could the Great Northern Coalition let a "Cities " team get a high seed/home game.

Every year its the same whining, last season discussion could have been copied an placed here and it would have fit perfectly, Woe is me.

Everyone has a Conference that they have to play in and like it or not, the teams in it are the teams you have to play either good or bad. Some have good teams and play them 2x a year so it's not like they are doing for a sectional seeding, its part of your conference.

Moorhead's, Roseau's, Bemidji's are lucky enough that they have strong teams & they are in their section.

Brainerd's conference is weak for section play with only St. Cloud in the section so since they are a northern team it seems logical they would want to play other Norther Coalition teams. They played Centennial's, St Francis's, Jefferson's, Buffalo's as really the only teams south of St.Cloud

STMA played a weak conference and the only 2 they played 2x were section opponents, Buffalo's and Rogers's. Last year their first in mighty 8AA they were able to get Roseau's and Moorhead's to add games after they were switched from 7AA along with their 2 conference teams.

Since STMA is a nobody in MN hockey they were lucky enough to get teams like BSM's, Breck's, & Holy Family's to do a home and home (along with Anoka's) then this year added B'Ville's, HTown's and Farmington's. You can not predict very well how a team may drop off with graduations/early departures 2 years out so its a crap shoot.

My son is out of HS and I know that I really don't want to see the same teams play all the time so a variety is good to see and that is a benefit of being close to the "cities".

Just remember that if your team is really better than a team seeded higher than you, show it by beating them instead of whining on a forum. :lol:

Syd Barrett
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 pm

Post by Syd Barrett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 am

elliott70 wrote:Moorhead vs Rogers
Brainerd vs Bemidji

STMA vs St Cloud
Roseau vs Buffalo

About the only sure pick is the Moorhead game.
The other 3 while not toss ups are surely subject to upset.

Brainerd - Bemidji is probably a toss-up.

I will predict
Hey Elliott, Bemidji is a shoe in :-$ The Wizard can't win playoff games outside of the 494-694 metro ring [-(
Semi Finals will be:
Bemidji at Moorhead
St. Cloud at Roseau
:-k
Sorry STMA :-({|=

elliott70
Posts: 13097
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Syd Barrett wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Moorhead vs Rogers
Brainerd vs Bemidji

STMA vs St Cloud
Roseau vs Buffalo

About the only sure pick is the Moorhead game.
The other 3 while not toss ups are surely subject to upset.

Brainerd - Bemidji is probably a toss-up.

I will predict
Hey Elliott, Bemidji is a shoe in :-$ The Wizard can't win playoff games outside of the 494-694 metro ring [-(
Semi Finals will be:
Bemidji at Moorhead
St. Cloud at Roseau
:-k
Sorry STMA :-({|=
Yeah, I said at the beginning of the year its Moorhead's to lose and will be for a few years.
Cheering for the Jacks, then Roseau then, Brainerd, then Moorhead...

Bemidji has a shot.
But good luck to all of 'em and may no one get hurt.

Green and White Fan
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 pm

It will be a good section playoff. I truly believe other than Moorhead, every other higher seed has potential to be upset in the quarters. I am hoping for a few upsets and seeing the Lumberjacks and Rams in the final. Probably wishful thinking, but ones got to have hope!

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4043
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm

A section that any of the teams could win.. I wouldn't take any of these lower seeds lightly.

CornerBar
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:32 am

Post by CornerBar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Heard a rumor that Mitch Bourgerie of STMA had quit the team. He is their leading goal scorer. But if you check the hub he is still listed as the teams leading scorer, but he is no longer on their roster page, nor does he have a player profile. Big loss for the Knights.

backcheck9
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Post by backcheck9 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:26 pm

CornerBar wrote:Heard a rumor that Mitch Bourgerie of STMA had quit the team. He is their leading goal scorer. But if you check the hub he is still listed as the teams leading scorer, but he is no longer on their roster page, nor does he have a player profile. Big loss for the Knights.
It's not a rumor it's all true. He did quit his team, he was/is the leading scorer and he is no longer on the roster. One might say it's a big loss for the Knights.....or one might not? CornerBar has his finger on the pulse of 8AA.
:wink:

elliott70
Posts: 13097
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:24 am

backcheck9 wrote:
CornerBar wrote:Heard a rumor that Mitch Bourgerie of STMA had quit the team. He is their leading goal scorer. But if you check the hub he is still listed as the teams leading scorer, but he is no longer on their roster page, nor does he have a player profile. Big loss for the Knights.
It's not a rumor it's all true. He did quit his team, he was/is the leading scorer and he is no longer on the roster. One might say it's a big loss for the Knights.....or one might not? CornerBar has his finger on the pulse of 8AA.
:wink:
I hope the kid does not regret it or better, decides to come back.

Post Reply