8AA play-offs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Green and White Fan wrote:It was scheduled for today and that is what I have been thinking all day, but found out the coaches agreed to wait until Friday morning.
The SI Swimsuit Edition came out today. Obviously they're busy till Friday.
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

Goldyismoldy wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:It was scheduled for today and that is what I have been thinking all day, but found out the coaches agreed to wait until Friday morning.
The SI Swimsuit Edition came out today. Obviously they're busy till Friday.
I'll bet that was the Wizard of Aus' idea :roll:
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

I know rankings should be based on section results, but find it interesting that St. Mike's beat PageStat #64 Farmington in OT last night.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

Green and White Fan wrote:I know rankings should be based on section results, but find it interesting that St. Mike's beat PageStat #64 Farmington in OT last night.
I don't find it interesting how much you whine and cry. Give it a rest, if you wanted to be ranked higher than stma you should have beat them when they made the long trip to you. Perhaps you didn't play your best refs that game 😀
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
Green and White Fan wrote:I know rankings should be based on section results, but find it interesting that St. Mike's beat PageStat #64 Farmington in OT last night.
I don't find it interesting how much you whine and cry. Give it a rest, if you wanted to be ranked higher than stma you should have beat them when they made the long trip to you. Perhaps you didn't play your best refs that game 😀
Roseau has always used out of town refs for section games. For this game they were from Warroad. As to stma it is a little confusing as to how everyone pencils them in to a top three spot when they have one win over the other top 4 in the section. Sure they have a good record but it'd be hard not to with the schedule they play. Yes teams like Roseau and Brainerd took a few lumps but at least they played all the other top teams twice. Roseau has two wins over brainerd and wins over Bemidji and Moorhead as well. Brainerd has a win over Moorhead and two over Bemidji. Both seem more impressive than stma wins over Roseau and the bottom three seeds. Not to mention a loss to Buffalo.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Just looked at Roseau's schedule, not very challenging. Pretty hard for them to expect a high seed.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

More challenging than stma schedule by far. Just look at the section records and the teams they schedule. STMA has one win over top section opponents. The rest of their wins are against the bottom three seeds. I'd put them at 5.
silentbutdeadly3139

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
Roseau has always used out of town refs for section games. For this game they were from Warroad. As to stma it is a little confusing as to how everyone pencils them in to a top three spot when they have one win over the other top 4 in the section. Sure they have a good record but it'd be hard not to with the schedule they play. Yes teams like Roseau and Brainerd took a few lumps but at least they played all the other top teams twice. Roseau has two wins over brainerd and wins over Bemidji and Moorhead as well. Brainerd has a win over Moorhead and two over Bemidji. Both seem more impressive than stma wins over Roseau and the bottom three seeds. Not to mention a loss to Buffalo.
Green and white made a new user id !! You should get out of your cocoon a little, or at least be a little informed before making statements so don't look, well .... misinformed. Though I like how you phrased it, 1 win against top 4, the truth is a little better. They are 1-1-1 against top 3 in section including win over YOUR team and tie against Moorehead. And I know it doesn't play into your weak schedule narrative, but instead of playing them a second time, they chose to stay closer to home and played Holy Family, Breck 2 times and Burnsville. Must have been Ok, they do have higher pagestat. Just beat'em and you didnt. Yeah, I have also seen refs leave in their Roseau gear
Last edited by silentbutdeadly3139 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:More challenging than stma schedule by far. Just look at the section records and the teams they schedule. STMA has one win over top section opponents. The rest of their wins are against the bottom three seeds. I'd put them at 5.
Those North Dakota teams really make their schedule tough!
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Yeah Elliot we all know how much you like to hate on the success of the Roseau program. Fact is you've never seen Roseau refs leave a section game(at least in the 25 years I've been watching)and if you're implying that Roseau is the only town that schedules in town refs for out of section games you're only fooling yourself. But fine how about record of top 5 in the section versus each other? Moorhead 4-2-1, Brainerd 3-4, Bemidji 3-5, stma 1-1-1, and Roseau at 4-3. Oh and stma the only team with a loss to a 6-8 seed. Is that informed enough Elliot? The ND teams on Roseau schedule are the holiday classic which is their biggest fundraiser and they've always struggled to get good teams to come to. And what about Farmington, St Francis, Princeton, Monticello, North Branch, Cambridge-Isanti, Anoka, Mounds View, Chicago Lakes, and Rochester John Marshall on stma schedule? They thought those teams were worthy of taking instead of section games too?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:Yeah Elliot we all know how much you like to hate on the success of the Roseau program. Fact is you've never seen Roseau refs leave a section game(at least in the 25 years I've been watching)and if you're implying that Roseau is the only town that schedules in town refs for out of section games you're only fooling yourself. But fine how about record of top 5 in the section versus each other? Moorhead 4-2-1, Brainerd 3-4, Bemidji 3-5, stma 1-1-1, and Roseau at 4-3. Oh and stma the only team with a loss to a 6-8 seed. Is that informed enough Elliot? The ND teams on Roseau schedule are the holiday classic which is their biggest fundraiser and they've always struggled to get good teams to come to. And what about Farmington, St Francis, Princeton, Monticello, North Branch, Cambridge-Isanti, Anoka, Mounds View, Chicago Lakes, and Rochester John Marshall on stma schedule? They thought those teams were worthy of taking instead of section games too?
How did I get in the middle of this thing - never, ever said I saw refs leave in Roso garb.
I never said you were not informed. From what I can see you have only made a couple of posts here. Hardly enough to know if you are informed or not.

I have never made a comment about ND teams or Roso's schedule.

I have never commented on SMA's schedule and have nothing to do with how it is created.

I have posted my opinion on how I think the coaches will rank teams based on how I feel the rankings will go. I have posted info from ranking systems.

I do have a comment on your posts now...
What the hell you talking about???!!!???
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Not sure about the seeding but there is somewhere between 2 and 11 people in this thread. :)
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

My bad Elliot. Was replying to the previous two posts.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:My bad Elliot. Was replying to the previous two posts.
Ok, we are all capable of that.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Not sure about the seeding but there is somewhere between 2 and 11 people in this thread. :)
:lol:

Well, there is me and more than 1 other or someone is arguing with him or her self.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Its quite entertaining...Image
Green and White Fan

Oh my Lord! I have one account on here and one only. What went from a friendly post between people giving opinions on the 8AA seedings, turned into a crazy show when a hockey mom from I guess STMA got all bent out of shape because little Johnies team got called into question! What we can agree on, St. Mike's has a nice team. I think we all can agree that of the top 5 teams in the section, St. Mike's has played the weakest section schedule (if you don't agree with that assessment, you have been kicked in the head by a mule). Of those top 5 teams St. Mike's ranks low as they have only won 57% of the section games they played. Of course none of us here have a vote, but if I was a coach, I would have to take a hard look at the team who played the weakest, of the 5, section schedule and only managed to win 57% of those games. Now crazy hockey mom, relax and take a deep breath, unless St. Mike's lays an egg tonight, they will probably be the second seed and you can tell your little Johnie that all is well in the world!
Green and White Fan

Just wanted to throw out a stat for the people that say they see Roseau jackets on the refs as they leave Memorial Arena. Be thankful, at home this year opponents have had been whistled for 52 penalties and the Rams have been whistled for 74! How is that for home cooking??? On the road the Rams have had 30 penalties and the opponents 32. We get better cooking on the road than at home! Time to hire more out of town refs I guess, LOL!!
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Green and White Fan wrote:Oh my Lord! I have one account on here and one only.
Sure OGEE, gotcha! :wink:
silentbutdeadly3139

Green and White Fan wrote:Oh my Lord! I have one account on here and one only. What went from a friendly post between people giving opinions on the 8AA seedings, turned into a crazy show when a hockey mom from I guess STMA got all bent out of shape because little Johnies team got called into question! What we can agree on, St. Mike's has a nice team. I think we all can agree that of the top 5 teams in the section, St. Mike's has played the weakest section schedule (if you don't agree with that assessment, you have been kicked in the head by a mule). Of those top 5 teams St. Mike's ranks low as they have only won 57% of the section games they played. Of course none of us here have a vote, but if I was a coach, I would have to take a hard look at the team who played the weakest, of the 5, section schedule and only managed to win 57% of those games. Now crazy hockey mom, relax and take a deep breath, unless St. Mike's lays an egg tonight, they will probably be the second seed and you can tell your little Johnie that all is well in the world!
Not a hockey mom but a couple mom's, Green and White hockey and 7TIMECHAMPS seemed to have their panties in a bunch because they have a hard time dealing with the possibility that a non-traditional hockey school STMA might be higher ranked than their little Johnie's team. Just thought I would point out that you had your chance to beat them fairly recent. I guess you are just nervous about how your team is playing and who you may have to play in first round, that's ok. I actually respect Roseau and other section 8 teams, fun hockey to watch. I'll leave now.
backcheck9

Post by backcheck9 »

Green and White Fan wrote:Oh my Lord! I have one account on here and one only. What went from a friendly post between people giving opinions on the 8AA seedings, turned into a crazy show when a hockey mom from I guess STMA got all bent out of shape because little Johnies team got called into question! What we can agree on, St. Mike's has a nice team. I think we all can agree that of the top 5 teams in the section, St. Mike's has played the weakest section schedule (if you don't agree with that assessment, you have been kicked in the head by a mule). Of those top 5 teams St. Mike's ranks low as they have only won 57% of the section games they played. Of course none of us here have a vote, but if I was a coach, I would have to take a hard look at the team who played the weakest, of the 5, section schedule and only managed to win 57% of those games. Now crazy hockey mom, relax and take a deep breath, unless St. Mike's lays an egg tonight, they will probably be the second seed and you can tell your little Johnie that all is well in the world!
You raise a valid point about STMA's schedule but how do you propose to fixing the problem? Logistically it would be impossible to play everyone twice. Not enough Saturday's to go around. I'd like to see this section play each other once and only once for various reasons but I know that would create more problems for the northern teams. Probably no easy fix. I wonder why STMA and Brainerd couldn't get a game scheduled this season? This will be entertaining to see how it plays out. There are legit arguments to be made all over this section.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Being Roseau and St Mike are close. Head to head prevails, end of story!
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

mulefarm wrote:Being Roseau and St Mike are close. Head to head prevails, end of story!
Should you use the same for Bemidji and Brainerd being they have a similar section record. How about Bemidji and St. Mikes should head to head prevail. What happens if rogers wins tonite. I would say this year there is no end of story.
Green and White Fan

Not very worried at all. Roseau could be from 2nd to 5th, but just fun to speculate. Been having fun speculating on seedings for more than 20 years, probably before STMA had a hockey program. It is a fun time of the year. Instead of getting your undies bunched up, make your predictions and give your reasons and see if you are close. The mom's on here seem to think STMA is a lock at 2nd and I have shown reasons why that could be in doubt. The section is very spread out and it is difficult to play everyone twice. This year, 4 of the better teams happen to be on the north side of the section and by them playing each other twice has benefited STMA who plays the weaker sections teams twice. Nobody can dispute that. Another year the balance of power might be in the southern part, but we are having to seed this year. I am curious, if STMA somehow lost to Rogers tonight (hypothetical) since it is the last game of the season does that put Rogers ahead of STMA?? If you looked at head to head being the factor and the 2nd game being the only one that matters in some eyes, then I guess that would have to be the way it went. My guess is that won't happen, but using the hockey mom's logic, that's the way it would have to go. To question of how to improve this, maybe every section team needs to play each other at least once, preferably mid-January and on. If you play a team twice then the second game is the only one that can be used for seeding purposes to have it somewhat fair.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Green and White Fan wrote:Not very worried at all. Roseau could be from 2nd to 5th, but just fun to speculate. Been having fun speculating on seedings for more than 20 years, probably before STMA had a hockey program. It is a fun time of the year. Instead of getting your undies bunched up, make your predictions and give your reasons and see if you are close. The mom's on here seem to think STMA is a lock at 2nd and I have shown reasons why that could be in doubt. The section is very spread out and it is difficult to play everyone twice. This year, 4 of the better teams happen to be on the north side of the section and by them playing each other twice has benefited STMA who plays the weaker sections teams twice. Nobody can dispute that. Another year the balance of power might be in the southern part, but we are having to seed this year. I am curious, if STMA somehow lost to Rogers tonight (hypothetical) since it is the last game of the season does that put Rogers ahead of STMA?? If you looked at head to head being the factor and the 2nd game being the only one that matters in some eyes, then I guess that would have to be the way it went. My guess is that won't happen, but using the hockey mom's logic, that's the way it would have to go. To question of how to improve this, maybe every section team needs to play each other at least once, preferably mid-January and on. If you play a team twice then the second game is the only one that can be used for seeding purposes to have it somewhat fair.
Logic dictates
Moorhead (no one seems to argue this one)
Bemidji
St Mikes
Roseau
Brainerd

If St Mikes loses tonight, 3rd is definite and an argument for moving Roseau to 3 could come up (assuming they do not lose tonight).

Of course there is an argument for St Mikes to be 2nd but not likely to happen.
Modified points will be:
Moorhead 56
Bemidji 34
StM 33 (assuming they win tonight)
Roseau (assuming they win tonight) 27
Brainerd 23