7AA Quarterfinals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Any upsets?

No
40%
Marshall over Cloquet
40%
Andover over Rapids
10%
Both of the Above
10%

Total votes: 10

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 pm

hermantown2000 wrote:Caught some the highlights on the news of the Cloquet-Duluth Marshall game. How many seconds were left when Cloquet tied it?

http://www.kbjr6.com/story/34564570/lum ... greyhounds

http://www.wdio.com/sports/prep-hockey- ... ?cat=12696

https://youtu.be/t2NBhBs4Z3s

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... -double-ot

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 am

Listened to the GR/ Andover game on KOZY. I couldn't find any video for it. GR came out of the gates with lots of energy and scored 28 seconds in. That was big because the Andover goal tender was on top of his game. Even though the Injuns out shot them by a wide margin, the Huskies came up with some excellent scoring attempts and did knot it up halfway through the 1st.

Like was previously mentioned earlier in the thread, GR did a nice job of staying out of the the box. They won this game because they played good smart hockey.

I would also argue that Holum had a nice night between the pipes. Most of the game was played on the other end of the ice. He needed to come up with some big saves after long stretches of nothing. Not easy to do.

Saturday should be interesting.

ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 am

karl(east) wrote:I nearly made the trip to Cloquet tonight, but some stuff came up that would've kept me from making the 7:00 start...still wish I'd made it. Sounds like it was a thriller, and much more entertaining than the snoozefest I watched at Heritage.

Hard to believe this will be only the 2nd East-Cloquet playoff meeting in the past 9 years, after going through a stretch where they played 7 times in 9 years preceding that. And that one meeting in 2013 was a weird and pretty dead one, as off-ice stuff seemed to drain any enthusiasm around the CEC program that season. This year, looks like a different story, and while the two regular season meetings weren't close, the Jacks seem to be trending up while East has been a bit flat lately...it has potential, at the very least.

Between that rivalry renewal and what should be a great GR-ER matchup, this is shaping up to be the most compelling 7AA Semifinal Saturday in a while.
Cmon Karl, you sure can spin it like Don King.

You, I and your Coach know you will blow out CEC on Saturday. That's what the #2 seed East team earned right? You now the easiest road to host the section finals game. :oops:

Sometimes in sports its better to be lucky than good. :wink:

Good Luck vs CEC I sure hope you guys can pull that one out. :roll:

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 am

karl(east) wrote:I nearly made the trip to Cloquet tonight, but some stuff came up that would've kept me from making the 7:00 start...still wish I'd made it. Sounds like it was a thriller, and much more entertaining than the snoozefest I watched at Heritage.

Hard to believe this will be only the 2nd East-Cloquet playoff meeting in the past 9 years, after going through a stretch where they played 7 times in 9 years preceding that. And that one meeting in 2013 was a weird and pretty dead one, as off-ice stuff seemed to drain any enthusiasm around the CEC program that season. This year, looks like a different story, and while the two regular season meetings weren't close, the Jacks seem to be trending up while East has been a bit flat lately...it has potential, at the very least.

Between that rivalry renewal and what should be a great GR-ER matchup, this is shaping up to be the most compelling 7AA Semifinal Saturday in a while.
I have yet to see two exciting semifinals since I've started attending four years ago. I'm afraid these two games will not be one goal games. Elk River is at the top of its game. The Rapids defensemen still make poor decisions at the blueline. I'm not convinced Rapids can effectively move the puck out of their zone either. Andover had more odd man rushes than they should have. The only way I see Rapids making this an interesting game is if Stejskal keeps them in it. As good as the East/Cloquet rivalry is, I'm not expecting a close one here either. Hope I'm wrong and Cloquet and Rapids make it worth the trip down.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 am

Unfortunately, Grand Rapids season ended the day they got the 4 seed. Saturday's game will not be interesting.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:03 am

Slammer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The same thing happens every year. A DE final and everyone is predicting them to lose. GRHS hockey online predicts a win, and the Rapids faithful all have hope.

Well, sorry Rapids fans. It's over before it even started. But you knew that didn't you? ITS BEEN SEVEN YEARS IN A ROW!

Hounds easily win, 5-3 EN.

Elk River may very well roll on Saturday. They are very good.

I just thought I would remind you of last years prediction.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am

Hahaha ^^^ people don't forget
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 am

Slammer wrote:Unfortunately, Grand Rapids season ended the day they got the 4 seed. Saturday's game will not be interesting.
You put the 'ouche' in d*****! :D
Hunt|Fish|Hockey

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 am

Slammer wrote:

Hounds easily win, 5-3 EN.
I always love that. "Easily" and you need an empty netter.

Where's that "tool" smiley?

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am

My role on this forum is to be the bruiser who gets everyone riled up. Every forum needs one.

Most of my comments are sarcastic, but it's hard to see that in the screen!

I feel as misunderstood as DJT. Fake news!

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

Slammer wrote:My role on this forum is to be the bruiser who gets everyone riled up. Every forum needs one.

Ken "the Rat" Linsman :)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:40 am

Slammer wrote:My role on this forum is to be the bruiser who gets everyone riled up. Every forum needs one.

Well said! We should go fishing sometime. :)

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:39 am

Every village needs an idiot.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:

I thought that was JoeLPB's job.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:36 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:

I thought that was JoeLPB's job.
The bigger the village, the bigger the idiot needed.