7AA Semi-finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who moves on?

East and Elk River
45%
CEC and Elk River
14%
CEC and Rapids
14%
East and Rapids
26%

Total votes: 42

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I agree that ER is going to be tough to beat. When I watched them play Eden Prairie in Edina early on, I still think that it was one of the best displays of high school hockey I have ever witnessed. The way those 2 teams transitioned from offense to defense to offense was really something. It looked more like D1 hockey to me.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

It looks like I'm finally going to make it up to Duluth for a Section Saturday. I'm hoping boblee's wrong and the games match up to some of the great tilts I've seen at Braemar, the BIG, Aldrich and the Coliseum on past Section Saturdays. Even if the games are one-sided, I'm expecting to enjoy a good atmosphere with a rivalry game (DE-CEC) and a pair of top end teams matching up in the other game.

How likely is it that this will sell out? The Amsoil has a capacity of about 6700 and we're planning to get up there around 11ish so I'm guessing we'll be OK, but don't want to drive all that way to just hang out in some breweries and brewpubs. Then again, that might not be that bad...
It's hard to win when you always lose.
grindiangrad-80

I have gone there the last few years for semi final or final and have always been able to get a ticket. It does get to be a fairly packed house but not over crowded. You will enjoy it.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Last couple years it hasn't even been half full. It has no chance of selling out. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere on semi final saturday
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Slammer wrote:Last couple years it hasn't even been half full. It has no chance of selling out. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere on semi final saturday
I agree. It's a very sterile environment.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

greenwayraider wrote:
Slammer wrote:Last couple years it hasn't even been half full. It has no chance of selling out. It's a pretty laid back atmosphere on semi final saturday
I agree. It's a very sterile environment.
DECC was always better.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

ChrisK wrote:It looks like I'm finally going to make it up to Duluth for a Section Saturday. I'm hoping boblee's wrong and the games match up to some of the great tilts I've seen at Braemar, the BIG, Aldrich and the Coliseum on past Section Saturdays. Even if the games are one-sided, I'm expecting to enjoy a good atmosphere with a rivalry game (DE-CEC) and a pair of top end teams matching up in the other game.

How likely is it that this will sell out? The Amsoil has a capacity of about 6700 and we're planning to get up there around 11ish so I'm guessing we'll be OK, but don't want to drive all that way to just hang out in some breweries and brewpubs. Then again, that might not be that bad...
He's alivvvve.

I thought you lived in a brew pub.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

ChrisK wrote:It looks like I'm finally going to make it up to Duluth for a Section Saturday. I'm hoping boblee's wrong and the games match up to some of the great tilts I've seen at Braemar, the BIG, Aldrich and the Coliseum on past Section Saturdays. Even if the games are one-sided, I'm expecting to enjoy a good atmosphere with a rivalry game (DE-CEC) and a pair of top end teams matching up in the other game.

Won't sell out.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

elliott70 wrote:

He's alivvvve.

Ack! He is!

And apparently no longer Sparlimbs good luck charm.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Goldyismoldy wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

He's alivvvve.

Ack! He is!

And apparently no longer Sparlimbs good luck charm.
Sparlimb would argue that I haven't been good luck since a puck dropped from the Coliseum sky into a Hill net several years ago.

I live NEAR several brewpubs, but setting up residence in one of them would violate codes. Which doesn't stop me from trying.

And thanks for the feedback, it sounds a bit like the section finals at Mariucci, which are generally a bit sterile but can be intense with the right crowd.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

north_bear wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Sorry to drag the conversation back to substantive things, but GR faithful, what were the lines in the Andover game? Looking at the scoresheet, Burnson and Miller combined on a couple of goals, so am I right to guess the Big Three were on different lines?

If so, I will continue to maintain my somewhat lonely position that this is their best hope for making it out of the section. That, and finding fluid ways to break out...we've talked a fair amount about GR's lack of discipline down the stretch, but as far as I'm concerned, an even bigger red flag is consistently giving up 40+ shots against good competition. With their goaltending they can steal a game or two that way, but it's hard to string together the sort of streak a team needs to win a section.

On the flip side, I think the game plan for ER is to just apply steady pressure offensively and let their blueliners do their thing.
During 5 on 5 play the big 3 remained separated during the Andover game and most of the last half dozen games. PP they play together. 1st line was Mclaughlin-Hain-Stefan and 2nd line was Burnson-Miller-Graeber. I liked those combinations. Stefan and Burnson/Graber played very well alongside there D1 counterparts. Burnson is probably the smallest guy on the ice most of the time but he sure is quick. A big key for Rapids will be breaking out of their end cleanly and maintaining an effective and energetic forecheck. If they can play like they did against Andover they have a chance.
Good take, and I agree these are the best possible lines for them. Spreading the Big 3 out over three lines (which they did occasionally) spread them a little too thin. McLaughlin and Hain are an obvious pairing, and Miller is capable of carrying his own line, and pairing him with Burnson, their 4th most skilled forward and a fellow speed merchant, makes a lot of sense.

Having attended both in the past few years, the comparison of Amsoil for semis to Mariucci for the 2AA/6AA finals is pretty accurate. A bit large and not conducive to a raucous atmosphere, but it could be good with the right teams.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Elks favored if Murray is 100%, which appears is the case.

However, Rapids is dark horse to win 7, and take it all at the X. Three of consensus top forwards in state , a couple top quality Dmen, capable people next tier behind them, two of best goalies in state, playoff experience, etc.
Breaking News: Coach Klatt and Captains have been seen at pharmacy in Rapids buying PTMP (Playoff Team Motivation Pills), and they are planning to Make Rapids Great Again.

Duluth East 1 year away?

My only question is whether Kniven is going to livestream the 7 finals? I need to know this to decide how many trips to make out of the West Metro over to Aldrich.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I'll spot Kniven a 50 if he can find a way to live stream this game.
blueblood

Section 7

Post by blueblood »

Attendees can use the app called Periscope to live stream the games. Followers can log into Periscope and see the action
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Slammer, about 10 of us I know watched Knivens broadcast last year, we are desperately hoping for a repeat , 50 spot or not. While I was watching, I turned down volume and listened to KOZY

Grindian80 just read your earlier post about the Elk / EP game in December.
It was jaw dropping to see level skill execution in that game , not to mention size of many of the kids , I thought I had mistakenly gone to the X to watch the Wild vs Bhawks!
grindiangrad-80

No doubt WestMetro- that game had a smooth and steady flow.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Elks favored if Murray is 100%, which appears is the case.

However, Rapids is dark horse to win 7, and take it all at the X. Three of consensus top forwards in state , a couple top quality Dmen, capable people next tier behind them, two of best goalies in state, playoff experience, etc.
Breaking News: Coach Klatt and Captains have been seen at pharmacy in Rapids buying PTMP (Playoff Team Motivation Pills), and they are planning to Make Rapids Great Again.

Duluth East 1 year away?

My only question is whether Kniven is going to livestream the 7 finals? I need to know this to decide how many trips to make out of the West Metro over to Aldrich.
I am not feeling well so I won't be going to Amsoil tomorrow. If I'm feeling better tomorrow, I will be going to Amsoil though. , and trying to watch the action on tv. I probably could setup my ipad and record the tv broadcast of the two games using periscope. I've never used it before, but it seems easy enough.
Last edited by kniven on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

kniven wrote:

Duluth East 1 year away?

I am not feeling well so I won't be going to Amsoil tomorrow, and trying to watch the action on tv. I probably could setup my ipad and record the tv broadcast of the two games using periscope. I've never used it before, but it seems easy enough.
They are locally broadcasting the game?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Slammer wrote:
kniven wrote:

Duluth East 1 year away?

I am not feeling well so I won't be going to Amsoil tomorrow, and trying to watch the action on tv. I probably could setup my ipad and record the tv broadcast of the two games using periscope. I've never used it before, but it seems easy enough.
They are locally broadcasting the game?
i think so, yes. not sure what channel yet though. nothing is showing up yet on the broadcast schedule tomorrow.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I'm checking all of the local broadcasting and I don't see it.
grindiangrad-80

I see where WDIO is televising the championship game on Thursday night but I can't find anything for today.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Well, if anyone is there and can periscope or high school cube it, please do!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well last year for the final game, Kniven was kind enough to set up a low-tech approach in his living room. He simply set up his WebCam on the local TV channel broadcast. It was the biggest favor that anyone in the metro could've ever asked for!!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

WestMetro wrote:Well last year for the final game, Kniven was kind enough to set up a low-tech approach in his living room. He simply set up his WebCam on the local TV channel broadcast. It was the biggest favor that anyone in the metro could've ever asked for!!
Knivvy's set up last year was one of the all time greatest. Especially liked his exuberance for East in the background.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Well last year for the final game, Kniven was kind enough to set up a low-tech approach in his living room. He simply set up his WebCam on the local TV channel broadcast. It was the biggest favor that anyone in the metro could've ever asked for!!
I am home sick today. But I don't see the games today on tv. If they are, I will periscope. Koby radio online has the Rapids game audio. WKLK online will have Cloquet -East.