7AA Semi-finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who moves on?

East and Elk River
45%
CEC and Elk River
14%
CEC and Rapids
14%
East and Rapids
26%

Total votes: 42

Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Slammer wrote:ER doesn't play well at amsoil.

GR and DE move on tomorrow for the almost annual final meeting.
#TootingMyOwnHorn
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Wow, what is there to be said after a comeback like that one? Rapids sure flipped the switch, and I agree that Klatt, whether by design or not, had things set up perfectly there for the late run. The Elks went from near-total control to a wide open mess, their disciplined systems just torn up by that GR top line. It was fun to watch.

My condolences to our ER friends...I really do feel for you after that one, not that it probably means much to an East fan. We were all just watching that happen in awe. The curse gets worse.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Congrats to the Thawks. I had said the other day to Grindian and others earlier in this thread that Thawks were the dark horse to win 7 and win it all at the X! Now the first step has happened. Keep it up Coach and Boys, this is now your year.

Congrats to Elks on great season, saw them play 3 or 4 times and I couldnt have been more impressed. Good luck to boys headed for college hockey!
Also great season of postings from AlCloseShaver, and looking for him to keep us posted on the Elk boys starting next August and Sept at the Elite leagues.

Section 7 playoffs are the best!!!

Kniven, we will need you to livestream the final next Thursday!
I'll be locked and loaded boys. Periscope..
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Slammer wrote:Anyone want to play a 7AA semifinal thread drinking game for the coming ER comment storm?

One shot every time someone says bus legs, road game, or unfair.
Stay classy, bud. Congrats to Rapids. Every year, I meet different GR fans and so far they have all been friendly, entertaining, and knowledgeable about their team.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

That was probably the most insane semi-final I've attended in my life. I felt Rapids just needed one in the third to get going, but when ER scored with 4 min left I thought it was over. I really do feel bad for the ER community, their run at Amsoil Arena has been so bad how could you script a worse series of playoff games? I hope ER gets put in 5AA, you poor souls need a change of scenery.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Kniven , Will u be providing a direct link?
Last edited by WestMetro on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

east hockey wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: OMG. 2 goals in 11 seconds.
I've never heard a place go from so quiet to complete bedlam so fast. The Rapids faithful sitting below us in the first deck went nuts. And again four more times that period.

I walked by some of the Elk fans afterward and they were about as despondent a group as I've seen in a long time.

Lee
I almost made the trek from Green Bay to Duluth yesterday but decided against it. Turned out to be a bad move. The atmosphere you describe there was exactly how it was in my living room. Listening to game on KOZY I was pretty much getting used to fact that the season was over and the Elks were moving on. When GR popped those two quick ones in I couldn't believe it. Just didn't seem like the kind of game where that could happen. Then as DJ mentioned, when Perbix gave them a 3-2 lead I figured it was over but was happy for the comeback. Then it happened again and I pretty much burnt up all my Old Spice over the next few minutes.

I can understand how the Elks and their fans feel as GR has been kicked in the gut more than once in that tournament too. It definitely takes awhile to move on after that.

I still say that the 7AA playoff creates some of the most memorable games played year after year.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
east hockey wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: OMG. 2 goals in 11 seconds.
I've never heard a place go from so quiet to complete bedlam so fast. The Rapids faithful sitting below us in the first deck went nuts. And again four more times that period.

I walked by some of the Elk fans afterward and they were about as despondent a group as I've seen in a long time.

Lee
I almost made the trek from Green Bay to Duluth yesterday but decided against it. Turned out to be a bad move. The atmosphere you describe there was exactly how it was in my living room. Listening to game on KOZY I was pretty much getting used to fact that the season was over and the Elks were moving on. When GR popped those two quick ones in I couldn't believe it. Just didn't seem like the kind of game where that could happen. Then as DJ mentioned, when Perbix gave them a 3-2 lead I figured it was over but was happy for the comeback. Then it happened again and I pretty much burnt up all my Old Spice over the next few minutes.

I can understand how the Elks and their fans feel as GR has been kicked in the gut more than once in that tournament too. It definitely takes awhile to move on after that.

I still say that the 7AA playoff creates some of the most memorable games played year after year.
Wow.

That was definitely worth the drive. Ironically, before this game one of the best comebacks I've ever seen came against GR in the tourney about ten years ago when Burnsville scored three goals in three minutes to tie the game before GR pulled it out in OT.

When GR scored to make it 2-1, Elk River had played so well that I expected the game to end with that score and the tying goal 11 seconds later was a shock. Then young Perbix danced through the GR defense and gave ER the lead and I knew the game was over. Three goals later the game was over and my jaw was on the floor. One of the best games I've ever seen.

Elk River was the better team for most of the game, the two Perbix kids really stood out for me. GR was having trouble completing passes, getting shots past the ER defense and stopping the ER forwards, which made the comeback even more improbable. I don't think I've ever seen a team fight back like Rapids did to tie the game, give up a backbreaking goal with 2 minutes left, and then fight back again to win it. That takes heart, determination and skill. Kudos to Rapids, and no offense to East, but I really hope we get to see GR down here in St.Paul next week.
It's hard to win when you always lose.