Duluth East vs CEC

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who you got?

Hounds
70%
Jacks
30%

Total votes: 27

Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

Why would they vote twice, anyways? View the results, and then give Randolph the chance to confuse the Cambridge and St Francis coaches into voting for Esko using Cochran's OJ/Chewbacca defense? If it's all based solely on section record and nothing else, why not just seed purely on section results/standings?

No hate at all, either, btw. Hats off to the Legendary Randolph. The way he uses technicalities to get what he needs, so consistently, he is a terrific lawyer. I would love this character to be backing my program.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Bayside Tigers wrote:Why would they vote twice, anyways? View the results, and then give Randolph the chance to confuse the Cambridge and St Francis coaches into voting for Esko using Cochran's OJ/Chewbacca defense? If it's all based solely on section record and nothing else, why not just seed purely on section results/standings?

No hate at all, either, btw. Hats off to the Legendary Randolph. The way he uses technicalities to get what he needs, so consistently, he is a terrific lawyer. I would love this character to be backing my program.
Yeah, not sure why they can't have the discussion before voting, but it's how it's been done since the dawn of time.

And while Randolph is certainly a capable lobbyist, I'd give the wily man in purple some credit, too. Despite the regular season results, I'm sure he'd still rather play a rival he knows well in the semis than Elk River. He's also the one responsible for dropping Elk River a couple years back when they deserved the 1-seed but didn't get it...I think he gave them the 4 or something like that.

Esse is also 4-2 against Randolph in head-to-head playoff matchups, though the odds are certainly longer this year than they were in most of those mid-00s tilts. Time to go see what they've got...
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

karl(east) wrote:
Bayside Tigers wrote:Why would they vote twice, anyways? View the results, and then give Randolph the chance to confuse the Cambridge and St Francis coaches into voting for Esko using Cochran's OJ/Chewbacca defense? If it's all based solely on section record and nothing else, why not just seed purely on section results/standings?

Yeah, not sure why they can't have the discussion before voting, but it's how it's been done since the dawn of time.

And while Randolph is certainly a capable lobbyist, I'd give the wily man in purple some credit, too. Despite the regular season results, I'm sure he'd still rather play a rival he knows well in the semis than Elk River. He's also the one responsible for dropping Elk River a couple years back when they deserved the 1-seed but didn't get it...I think he gave them the 4 or something like that.

Esse is also 4-2 against Randolph in head-to-head playoff matchups, though the odds are certainly longer this year than they were in most of those mid-00s tilts. Time to go see what they've got...
If QRF was better for hockey it would be nice to use. They have a tiebreaker margin when head to head comes into play. Just doesn't seem to fit for hockey Vs football and BB.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Just for those who don't have the link for the game today , here it is.. It's only audio, but better than nothing

https://www.network1sports.com/station/wklk
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Anyone watching this game? Pretty quiet in here..

East scores first on a breakaway. 1-0 East after 2. Shots 25-8. Much closer play than the shots would indicate. Cloquet plays a good team game, breaks out well and supports the play. They hit a post. They need to draw a penalty. East has 3 pp to cloquets 0.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

north_bear wrote:Anyone watching this game? Pretty quiet in here..

East scores first on a breakaway. 1-0 East after 2. Shots 25-8. Much closer play than the shots would indicate. Cloquet plays a good team game, breaks out well and supports the play. They hit a post. They need to draw a penalty. East has 3 pp to cloquets 0.
AS a East Alum, this sucks to say/hear on the radio but it seems like CEC has been getting some bogus calls... East needs to get something going to get some points on the board so Esse and the CEC faithful don't have a play or 2 to fall back on saying that was the reason they didn't win
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I would say that whoever was at Amsoil today was treated to two pretty exciting games. Fans got their moneys worth today.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

GPGT wrote:

AS a East Alum, this sucks to say/hear on the radio but it seems like CEC has been getting some bogus calls... East needs to get something going to get some points on the board so Esse and the CEC faithful don't have a play or 2 to fall back on saying that was the reason they didn't win
You mean bogus pp's? It seemed fairly called to me. Cloquet only had 2 pp chances.

Hats off to cloquet for a very nice performance. Hard fought. They were right on the verge of scoring many times. Fans definitely got their money's worth today. Best two games I've seen here in quite some time.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

north_bear wrote:
GPGT wrote:

You mean bogus pp's? It seemed fairly called to me. Cloquet only had 2 pp chances.

Hats off to cloquet for a very nice performance. Hard fought. They were right on the verge of scoring many times. Fans definitely got their money's worth today. Best two games I've seen here in quite some time.

Well that's what I said... cec got some bad calls that they shoudn't have got'
grindiangrad-80

GPGT wrote:
north_bear wrote:
GPGT wrote: AS a East Alum, this sucks to say/hear on the radio but it seems like CEC has been getting some bogus calls... East needs to get something going to get some points on the board so Esse and the CEC faithful don't have a play or 2 to fall back on saying that was the reason they didn't win

I don't think he was trying to disagree. He just wasn't sure if you meant CEC got the bad end or the good end of a couple calls. I think that's what he was getting at.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

yep, re read that and it was not clear.. cec got some bad calls, which they shouldn't have... Hopefully the Hounds can prove their worth, by taking down Rapids and showing people they should be there
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

GPGT wrote:yep, re read that and it was not clear.. cec got some bad calls, which they shouldn't have... Hopefully the Hounds can prove their worth, by taking down Rapids and showing people they should be there
East has beaten Cloquet three times this year, and blew out Rapids 5-0. They have more than proven their worth. They are the favorites now.
grindiangrad-80

GPGT wrote:yep, re read that and it was not clear.. cec got some bad calls, which they shouldn't have... Hopefully the Hounds can prove their worth, by taking down Rapids and showing people they should be there
I think the Hounds will be more than ready. Should be another wild one.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Money's worth? I'd say so. The first game was a blast to watch--I arrived planning to be neutral. That lasted until the first puck drop and then I realized I wanted Rapids to win. North hockey, that king of thing, you see. :) At 2-0 Elk River I turned to my brother and said "it's over".

Not even close. That third period eruption was a thing of beauty.

East-Cloquet seemed rather calm in comparison. Don't think my blood pressure got high until the final three minutes, despite the close score.

Hounds and the Jacks seemed a step below Rapids and Elk in terms of talent. How East will deal with a fired up Rapids team, I have no idea. Will be very tough to do.

Oh, and a shoutout to the Cloquet fans with their "Let's Go Rapids" chant after their team's season had (once again) ended. Nice class, but I expect no more or less. They might not be East's biggest rival in terms of talent, but they sure are from an emotional standpoint. We had dinner in Cloquet to celebrate and it took all my restraint (and a bit of sense) not to wear my Hound Hockey sweatshirt up there to Pedro's. 3>0 :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Slammer wrote:
East has beaten Cloquet three times this year, and blew out Rapids 5-0. They have more than proven their worth. They are the favorites now.

I graduated east in the late 90s... and have followed them ever since.. the 5-0 Rapids blowout imo was a fluke ( and yes Im a big East fan.. ) GR beat the #1 tem in the state..... Any East fan/ Hockey player should not take them lightly with the mentality that they beat them 5-0
norcon

Post by norcon »

The second game was close but from an entertainment standpoint it was a bit of a sleeper. I'm sure it didn't feel that way to the Hounds and Jacks fans but the playmaking and skill level was not near what we saw from the first game.
Very impressed by ER. Perbix is the best complete defenseman I've seen in sometime. Too bad someone had to lose. I know East will be ramping it up a bit for Thurs nights showdown with the Thunderhawks, looking for a little revenge from last years final. A lot of people have forgot Rapids was without two of their top d-men when they met back in Jan.
kniven

Post by kniven »

GPGT wrote:
north_bear wrote:
GPGT wrote: AS a East Alum, this sucks to say/hear on the radio but it seems like CEC has been getting some bogus calls... East needs to get something going to get some points on the board so Esse and the CEC faithful don't have a play or 2 to fall back on saying that was the reason they didn't win

I am sick of loosing. "Sigh". I need a long break away from hockey. It won't get any easier with Germantown moving into 7AA next year. No more home playoff games and semi-finals for CEC.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

This one wound up being a pretty nervy game. East really only had one good period (the 2nd); they started very slowly and also had to fend off a strong Cloquet push toward the end, including a late power play after an ill-advised penalty. Thankfully, Meierhoff was well-composed in net.

Of greater concern is the status of Ian Mageau, the Hounds' leading scorer, who crawled off the ice in the first period, and only had one wobbly shift thereafter. This team isn't really healthy right now, and really hasn't been playing its best hockey of late. They'll need to dig deeper on Thursday.

At any rate, fun to see the Jacks relevant and this game getting a big crowd again. As it should be. Best time I've had for Semifinal Saturday since, well...probably ever, as East was on the losing end of all those ones when I was in high school. :)
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I lived up to my username and sent a warmuo mix to the DJ at Amsoil that was based off of music from the Ducks, Kings, and Sharks warmups(I used the soundhound apps in the arenas on a Wild trip) and the mix was used for warmups of CEC/East.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I lived up to my username and sent a warmuo mix to the DJ at Amsoil that was based off of music from the Ducks, Kings, and Sharks warmups(I used the soundhound apps in the arenas on a Wild trip) and the mix was used for warmups of CEC/East.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Very nice to see Cloquet back in the thick of things in 7AA. Should be a fun couple of years coming up. Looks like the fans at Amsoil got a nice show yesterday.
Last edited by BigWorm on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
grindiangrad-80

kniven wrote:
GPGT wrote:
north_bear wrote: You mean bogus pp's? It seemed fairly called to me. Cloquet only had 2 pp chances.

I am sick of loosing. "Sigh". I need a long break away from hockey. It won't get any easier with Germantown moving into 7AA next year. No more home playoff games and semi-finals for CEC.
I feel your pain Kniven but the next few years in Cloquet are looking strong. They made a heck of a run this year and will be very hungry when the season rolls around next year.
kniven

Post by kniven »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
kniven wrote:
GPGT wrote:
I feel your pain Kniven but the next few years in Cloquet are looking strong. They made a heck of a run this year and will be very hungry when the season rolls around next year.
Thanks indiangrad. Yea. I'm probably to much fan of CEC hockey for my own good. Single A sounds really good about now.