2AA/6AA Semi's

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The51

2AA/6AA Semi's

Post by The51 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:35 am

Not sure if I missed it on here but does anyone know when they select which games are at Braemar and which games are at BIG for these section semis on saturday?

The51

Post by The51 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 am

sorry meant to say and at what time for all the games

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:06 am

If the seeding plays out and that can be a big IF it will most likely be:

EP - PL Noon at Braemar

Cretin - Wayz 4:00pm Braemar

Holy Fam - Tonka 3:00pm BIG

Edina - BSM 7:00pm BIG

It seems in the past they split the 2 districts but I think last year they had District 2 at Braemar and District 6 at BIG

The51

Post by The51 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 am

WarmUpTheBus wrote:If the seeding plays out and that can be a big IF it will most likely be:

EP - PL Noon at Braemar

Cretin - Wayz 4:00pm Braemar

Holy Fam - Tonka 3:00pm BIG

Edina - BSM 7:00pm BIG

It seems in the past they split the 2 districts but I think last year they had District 2 at Braemar and District 6 at BIG
Thank you, seems like a tough decision on which game to go to between the Cretin/Wayzata & HF/Tonka

I wish they made both 2/3 games the Noon and 7pm and had both 1/4 games going at the same time so you could skip one of those with the 2/3 games more often than not being the closer games

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Only change that I would guess is Edina-BSM/SLP game may be the 3PM game at BIG rather than the night game, due to the possibility of Edina girls may be playing in the state title game that night.

Not that the girls game will get huge numbers, but I'm sure quite a few students would go.

I think they'll keep both 6AA games at BIG & the 2AA games at Braemar like last year.

blueblood

2AA - 6AA

Post by blueblood » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:25 pm

The games times are determined by the highest seeded coaches preference and alternates every other year.

Section 2AA had priority this year and Coach Smith selected the noon Braemar slot since they were seeded 1st in 2AA with no QF game

Coach Giles will get the next pick, provided they get past Hopkins. [-o<

Edina, by rule, cant play at Braemar, so they will pick from the BIG time slots.

gitter

Post by gitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
I think they'll keep both 6AA games at BIG & the 2AA games at Braemar like last year.
According to the MSHSL website, the 2AA 2/3 game will be at BIG and the 6AA 2/3 game will be at Braemar.

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am

Nice catch.

According to MSHSL.org,

6AA:
-Cretin vs. Wayzata, 4PM @ Braemar
-Edina vs. SLP, 7PM @ BIG

2AA:
-EP vs. PL, 12PM @ Braemar
-HF vs. Tonka, 3PM @ BIG

blueblood

2AA / 6AA

Post by blueblood » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:08 am

2AA
Ep over PL (4-1)
HF over Tonka (4-2)

6AA
Edina over SLP (6-1)
Wayzata over CDH (2-1)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:38 pm

A great 2A semi game at Braemar.

Congrats to Eagles for the 2-1 win. Casey is spectacular, especially in the high school close up viewing arenas, even with 3 guys hanging on him. In the the end as usual , EP depth and size prevailed. Their big forwards wear down a team by the third period.

Congrats to Danny Long in goal for keeping the Lakers in the game, and all the other Lakers, especially the seniors weve been following since bantams, and to Jack Jutting with a hilite reel breakaway shorty goal and who has great Laker future ahead of him.

The51

Post by The51 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Minnetonka just completely dominated the second period and then Holy Family scores with 20 seconds left. 2-0 HF after 2

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:43 pm

WestMetro wrote:A great 2A semi game at Braemar.

Congrats to Eagles for the 2-1 win. Casey is spectacular, especially in the high school close up viewing arenas, even with 3 guys hanging on him. In the the end as usual , EP depth and size prevailed. Their big forwards wear down a team by the third period.

Congrats to Danny Long in goal for keeping the Lakers in the game, and all the other Lakers, especially the seniors weve been following since bantams, and to Jack Jutting with a hilite reel breakaway shorty goal and who has great Laker future ahead of him.
It was a defensive minded game for the first two periods. Prior Lake did a great job holding EP in check, with the Eagles registering a combined 14 shots over the first two periods before EP's offense came alive in the third period. Prior Lake struggled to get anything going offensively. Their lone goal came on a shorthanded breakaway after Nicky Leivermann mishandled the puck at the point during an offensive attack. Mittelstadt looked very good even with two or three guys draped all over him all game. He managed two assists.
Last edited by ryguyMN on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 pm

The51 wrote:Minnetonka just completely dominated the second period and then Holy Family scores with 20 seconds left. 2-0 HF after 2
Missed the first period of this one in-transit between Braemar and BIG and BIG's inefficient ticket selling process. At 3 pm, the scheduled start time for Holy Family and Minnetonka, there was still a long line out the main entrance. A suggestion to the folks that run BIG, set up a table with multiple ticket sellers. Two ticket windows aren't enough when the building is at capacity. It doesn't help when you have rink employees in the background of the ticket office doing nothing but staring at patrons. Have them sell tickets! The folks at Braemar finally got it right this year.

Enough venting...I never felt in doubt about Holy Family winning this game. I still don't know how Minnetonka outshot Holy Family in the second. It seemed like most of the action was down in Minnetonka's end for the second and third periods. Towards the end of the game, it appeared that a repeat of the ending between Bemidji and Brainerd was going to happen, but the officials did a great job keeping the game under control in the closing seconds. Got pretty chippy and dirty.

The Badgers are getting a solid player in Almquist. He'll be in the Mr. Hockey discussion next year.

EP and Holy Family at Mariucci will probably end up being the game of the entire playoffs. Arguably the two top teams in the state.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 pm

ryGuyMN

Excellent perspectives on both games.

eazy98

Post by eazy98 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:37 am

A little added commentary on the EP/PL game...

Prior Lake did an outstanding job through the first 2 periods. They won puck battles, blocked shots, made big saves, clogged up shooting and passing lanes, and were opportunistic. The Jutting breakaway goal is a perfect example.

EP came flying out of the gates to start the 3rd. They had numerous grade A chances on the first couple shifts. You could feel the momentum start to shift. After the Jensen goal things seemed to calm down.

Interesting sequence leading up to the 2nd EP goal. The top 2 lines had completed their shifts then there was an EP PP. They stack the PP (Mittelstadt, Leivermann, Sullivan, Johannes, and Jensen) and they were out for nearly the entire PP. EP then took a penalty right after the PP expired. So, the same guys were out on the PK. The penalty expired and the puck was in the PL zone. They badly needed a change and to get the 3rd line on the ice. Mittelstadt created a turnover behind the net, kicked it into high gear, fed Leivermann, who fed it to Erwin who unleashed a big slap shot from the point that found the back of the net. Obviously this was the turning point, but EP could have easily snuck out of the forecheck for a line change.

The atmosphere was prototypical for semi-final Saturday. The excitement of the Prior Lake fans was unreal. Jutting's mom was sitting in front of us and there were plenty of hugs to go around when he scored. Hopefully there's more to come from them. The fans certainly deserve it.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:57 am

Third line center for EP Olson has played very well in games I have seen lately but coach Smith only played 2 lines for the last half of the game. If they continue to play 2 lines I believe they would be better with Olson in the top 6. IMHO

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 am

All things being equal......shouldn't Jutting and Lieverman be at Mankato West?