The "Blind Placement" Section 5A Title Game

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:Am I the only one confused by the outrage over alleged recruiting of a team that may or may not make the tournament, that has never made the tournament before, from a weak section? This team is 66-90-5 from 2010-2016, so if they are recruiting players for a run to state, they've done a horrible job. It would be one thing if they were winning the section year after year with these "recruits" putting up 100 point seasons, but 2015 was their first section final. Maybe I am alone in this, but I don't understand why anyone is getting bent out of shape about this.
Imagine the uproar if a 7AA or 6AA team brought in as many exchange students and helped them to the title game.. Had a yearly top five scorer and this year tried their luck with four!!
Didn't have the seeds with 1900 students and dropped down to A.... Then this?!?
It matters to the kids not knowing who the other team is going to bring in after playing them since mites.. Think deeply..

Very surprised YOU don't get it.... :shock:
I can understand if you're within the program, that having a kid who has been a lifer in the program to get pushed out because of an outsider coming in would be frustrating to most. My point is that this team has never played in a state tournament, and the section is traditionally weak. If these were players of D1 caliber, carrying a team to a chance at winning state, it might be more eye-popping. Larger metro schools have players transfer or move in all the time, and it does upset people, but it's the nature of the game. Exchange students are different in theory, but good players looking for greener pastures happens frequently as we all know. It's just hard to imagine elite level players looking to play for Monticello. Whether or not folks within the program are seeking out players is another discussion, but my point is just that I don't see these alleged exchange students making a huge difference for this team.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 pm

puckdreams wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
puckdreams wrote:Quote:
How about some facts Mr BoDang?

Who are these four recruited players?
Where did they come from?
Under what guise were they imported to put MAML over the top?

Mr. BoDangles,
I will ask one last time for you to provide the details for your assertions, by answering the questions above. If you choose to continue to play the game you have been, I shall no longer participate.
Regards,
Again, your opinion will change if there's four?
Mr. BoDangles,
To be clear, I have not offered or formulated any opinion on this situation at all. I have merely asked for you to produce specific details to support your assertion that recruiting of foreign exchange student/athletes by MAML has taken place.

I can make no forecast or guarantee as to what my opinion is on this alleged recruiting violation situation without the requested detailed information.

Unfortunately, your refusal to share the answers to my repeated questions does tend to cause me to form the opinion that you are not being truthful or forthright in this regard.
Glad you see the light, puck dreams. I don't want to put names on here.. But if you go through the roster you will see the new seniors if you back reference. There are also articles in their local papers about them and attend different schools in the co-op... It's how they were able to come up with so many..

- as to you proof of recruitment: The coach has to see that he's getting an influx of exchange hockey players! He has to pull back on those reigns... If he doesn't... Then he's obviously in on it..

I think Finland, Ireland, Czech Rebublic and Slovakia were the countries mentioned in the googled newspaper articles.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:20 pm

MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:Am I the only one confused by the outrage over alleged recruiting of a team that may or may not make the tournament, that has never made the tournament before, from a weak section? This team is 66-90-5 from 2010-2016, so if they are recruiting players for a run to state, they've done a horrible job. It would be one thing if they were winning the section year after year with these "recruits" putting up 100 point seasons, but 2015 was their first section final. Maybe I am alone in this, but I don't understand why anyone is getting bent out of shape about this.
Imagine the uproar if a 7AA or 6AA team brought in as many exchange students and helped them to the title game.. Had a yearly top five scorer and this year tried their luck with four!!
It matters to the kids not knowing who the other team is going to bring in after playing them since mites.. Think deeply..

I can understand if you're within the program, that having a kid who has been a lifer in the program to get pushed out because of an outsider coming in would be frustrating to most. My point is that this team has never played in a state tournament, and the section is traditionally weak. If these were players of D1 caliber, carrying a team to a chance at winning state, it might be more eye-popping. Larger metro schools have players transfer or move in all the time, and it does upset people, but it's the nature of the game. Exchange students are different in theory, but good players looking for greener pastures happens frequently as we all know. It's just hard to imagine elite level players looking to play for Monticello. Whether or not folks within the program are seeking out players is another discussion, but my point is just that I don't see these alleged exchange students making a huge difference for this team.
But you get it!! 👍 And you have to admit they were hoping for better players!

*You hardly ever see exchange players at AA schools.. Mostly recruited to A where they know they'll usually make contributions. Many are good players but not stars over in Europe. MAML has seemed to find the better producers (fact) in the state over the years...

gitter

Post by gitter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:08 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

*You hardly ever see exchange players at AA schools.. Mostly recruited to A where they know they'll usually make contributions. Many are good players but not stars over in Europe. MAML has seemed to find the better producers (fact) in the state over the years...
7AA in the early-mid 90's.
Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

It happens. That was just for one team.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:17 pm

gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

Did they contribute? If so, ouch! Not right and looks pretty obvious what was going on.

gitter

Post by gitter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

Did they contribute? If so, ouch! Not right and looks pretty obvious what was going on.
Considering Petrov went on to play at UMD, I'll let you decide if he contributed. Bottom line exchange students happen everywhere and you're not going to stop it.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

Considering Petrov went on to play at UMD, I'll let you decide if he contributed. Bottom line exchange students happen everywhere and you're not going to stop it.
We can imagine what the other 7AA teams were thinking... Grow up knowing your opponents and then that..

I was overseas those years.

Signing out
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

It never gets old jumping inside your brain! I'm out of the loop, but here's my take... North Branch is a single small a school and MAML is a Class AA recruiting co-op machine trying to steal Little Bo's thunder?

gitter

Post by gitter » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

We can imagine what the other 7AA teams were thinking... Grow up knowing your opponents and then that..

I mean I get it. But its reality...what are you going to say - foreign exchange kids can come over here for school but they are not allowed to participate in extracurricular school activities? No band, theater, athletics? It is what it is. I'm sure other teams in 7AA were like WTH...but then they'd just go and get a kid from Virginia or Silver Bay to come join them...it happens everywhere...so there's no point in whining. Life's not fair, accept it and move on.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
gitter wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Henning Melhus
Sergei Petrov
Sasha Petrov
Tommy Edlund

I mean I get it. But its reality...what are you going to say - foreign exchange kids can come over here for school but they are not allowed to participate in extracurricular school activities? No band, theater, athletics? It is what it is. I'm sure other teams in 7AA were like WTH...but then they'd just go and get a kid from Virginia or Silver Bay to come join them...it happens everywhere...so there's no point in whining. Life's not fair, accept it and move on.
100% agree! But it becomes obvious what they're after when happens every year.

They're shredding the "Blind Placement" rules/laws of governing.

I know now that it won't happen!! :wink:

Out

jpiehl

Post by jpiehl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes, 2015-16 was the first year they opted down. Though if you believe the number of students on their Hockey Hub profile, they are losing students at a very alarming pace from year to year. 1869 last year to 1200 this year, all while they are expanding their schools...

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 pm

jpiehl wrote:
Yes, 2015-16 was the first year they opted down. Though if you believe the number of students on their Hockey Hub profile, they are losing students at a very alarming pace from year to year. 1869 last year to 1200 this year, all while they are expanding their schools...
Don't believe.. It said an enrollment of 1915 up until a few weeks ago.. Changed it to 1200 when the heat started coming.
Shows how bad they know it is.

6-1-1 against AA programs and many of the wins were against their former 8AA opponents that they said they couldn't compete with.. Add in that they had the highest enrollment and what looks like the highest median home income, when compared to these other "AA" programs.

Sob story turned into a gift wrapped fake plastic trophy!!

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:33 pm

According to the MSHSL web site enrollment (9-12) is 1115

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:39 pm

greybeard58 wrote:According to the MSHSL web site enrollment (9-12) is 1115
-Then you add 800 students from Maple Lake and Annandale high schools.

-The three high schools combine to form the MAML Moose hockey only program with 1915 students!

-Princeton and Milaca had a co-op of around 1380 students.. They had to drop Milaca a few years ago to play A with only 950 students..?..

Somebody did some trickery..

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:24 am

StarsHockey wrote:Ha! I highly doubt Torrel has ever looked at this garabge.
Oh but he has, and does. He's been a contributor since his oldest was playing. Hesse, also.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

jhpreus123 wrote:I too have watched this all year and while we live in Monticello our son does not play hockey there. I personally know "the family" that seems to be topic of so much of this rhetoric. I will go so far as to say they have been involved with hockey for many years in one way or the other (kids playing, coaching etc.). If this means that they are recruiting for the organization (which is NOT the case) I guess he's guilty cause they may look for a exchange student that plays hockey and with that said I know of some that have been FLOPS so the theory goes out the door. How bout if the 4 players that were of the 10 that went to Peewee A State "The Little Moose That Could Team" were still with the team? Some left for schooling, hockey and...... does that change the dynamic a little???? KUDOS TO MAML either way!!!!! Bottom line is the team that is there is the team they are playing with and I can tell you there are many hours over MANY years that have gone into building and as we all in the area know this team and their parents have worked hard!!!!! GO MOOSE!!!!
Good thing the other 3 exchange players were "flops" as descibed by this moticello poster... But they might not even need them! 2-0 SCC currently..

*MAML played Cathedral to a 2-4 the last game of the season and I believe they outshot them..

What a special gift given by the MSHSL to a 1915 student program.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
jhpreus123 wrote:I too have watched this all year and while we live in Monticello our son does not play hockey there. I personally know "the family" that seems to be topic of so much of this rhetoric. I will go so far as to say they have been involved with hockey for many years in one way or the other (kids playing, coaching etc.). If this means that they are recruiting for the organization (which is NOT the case) I guess he's guilty cause they may look for a exchange student that plays hockey and with that said I know of some that have been FLOPS so the theory goes out the door. How bout if the 4 players that were of the 10 that went to Peewee A State "The Little Moose That Could Team" were still with the team? Some left for schooling, hockey and...... does that change the dynamic a little???? KUDOS TO MAML either way!!!!! Bottom line is the team that is there is the team they are playing with and I can tell you there are many hours over MANY years that have gone into building and as we all in the area know this team and their parents have worked hard!!!!! GO MOOSE!!!!
Good thing the other 3 exchange players were "flops" as descibed by this moticello poster... But they might not even need them! 2-0 SCC currently..

*MAML played Cathedral to a 2-4 the last game of the season and I believe they outshot them..

When sections are reassigned I think Bo will one more reason to go nuts. I was told last night that a certain private school Class A semifinalist is moving to 5A. Can't wait to read your reaction. :twisted:

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:29 am

zooomx wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

When sections are reassigned I think Bo will one more reason to go nuts. I was told last night that a certain private school Class A semifinalist is moving to 5A. Can't wait to read your reaction. :twisted:
So...... Maybe on par with a finalist with 1915 students?

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 am

Will the mshsl be coming to burn down the small town 5A rinks.. Too?

I guess i can't put it passed them that they'll kill any sort of parity.. Their ultimate goal seems like they want to squash growing programs and create an elite few.

gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:24 am

Isn't it just "it is what it is?" If kids move in from other cities or countries, sh*t happens. If people have an issue with the MAML class A versus AA, I can get that. But with this, life isn't always fair and neither is hockey. Section 2AA and 6AA teams always get shorted at state tournament time. every year there are teams that cannot make it to state out of those sections that are better than teams that did make it. It aint fair but it is what it is.

I watched MAML waiting to see some break out superstars--I saw none. The section you complain of this year was waaayyyyy down. The played the hand dealt to them and made it to state. Hats off to MAML for having fun and catching lightening in a bottle. They aren't a top 10 teaming A and there are well over 30 AA teams that would be better than them that are at home watching them have the time of their life--is it fair? Depends on who you ask. They are playing today as the warm up act to the big show tonight and I wish them all the best to keep catching that lightening in a bottle--they will need it against this Hermantown team.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am

MrBoDangles wrote:Will the mshsl be coming to burn down the small town 5A rinks.. Too?

I guess i can't put it passed them that they'll kill any sort of parity.. Their ultimate goal seems like they want to squash growing programs and create an elite few.
This will be a very interesting section reassignment session. If it's true Hermantown is moving up? Will MSHSL move MAML back up. Will they let some other AA programs opt down (like the Cambridge/St. Francis type teams)? Then, if some of these moves are made, how do the redistribute teams for the sections?

All jabs aside, I do root for the North Branch and Princeton teams. I grew up in that area. North Branch didn't even have a team when I graduated. I think the youth hockey moving to AA/A has helped give some of these A programs a jump start as teams like NB get a taste of success in their districts, resulting in trips to Regions and State. They play in big games as Pee Wees and Bantams and now have a better chance an pulling upsets in high school.

Has North Branch gotten a rink yet? If not, is there hope? It is just crazy how they have built that program with no rink of their own.

Regarding parity, I am unsure the MSHSL really looks at that. Maybe they should, but it doesn't seem like they do. Honestly, I would be surprised if the rumor of Cathedral is true, as they do seem to historically load up the 6a section. With Apollo/Tech forming a co-op and now AA, I assumed they would move a big hitter into our section. It is a quite the section to get through with typically 2-4 top 10 teams and a lot of depth.