Aldrich Arena

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

Aldrich Arena

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:50 pm

So has anybody heard if there is any consideration of moving section 4 and 5 finals to Mariucci sometime soon? I think its ridiculous that they are holding these at Aldrich and turning people away. I love Aldrich for games but for section finals its not the right place. They should do sections 2/6 on Wednesdays and 4/5 on Thursdays.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

gitter

Post by gitter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 am

I have not heard, but I agree with you. I tried to go to the HM-Stillwater game last year, only to find they presold all the tickets. Living in the SW metro, its not like its easy for me to drive all the way over there the day before the game just to buy a ticket so I can drive back the next day.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 am

That arena is in terrible need of renovating. They need a big addition to the lobby/entrance. Ridiculous that people have to lineup outside before the doors open. Also who is the jackass that decided chainlink fence on the ends of the arena would be pleasant to view the ice thru? SMH
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 am

While I realize both the Section 4 & 5 Finals will likely sell out and some people will unfortunately get turned away, having watched the Section 5 final the past 2 years...the atmosphere was simply ELECTRIC in Aldrich, very loud, very emotional, better because the fans are so close to the ice compared to the State Fair Coliseum. But if you don't get a pre-sold ticket, you might not get in Thursday nights night. Ridder might be big enough, they use it for 3AA , as the best alternative down the road.

PaynePhalenGuy

Post by PaynePhalenGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 am

I was at one of the 4A games there last week, and there were signs stating you could buy 4AA tickets in advance, if that helps anybody out.

And as far as I'm concerned, Aldrich is still the best rink in town to watch a game (despite the fact that that green team shoved everybody out). The only thing it needs is a fresh coat of paint. Whatever eggnog looking crap they splattered on the walls there ain't working. Maybe some pine paneling...

DaggerzReady34

Post by DaggerzReady34 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 pm

gitter wrote:I have not heard, but I agree with you. I tried to go to the HM-Stillwater game last year, only to find they presold all the tickets. Living in the SW metro, its not like its easy for me to drive all the way over there the day before the game just to buy a ticket so I can drive back the next day.

So I live south of Lakeville some and am wanting to attend the game Friday night.... are you saying I need to probably buy tickets before Friday to get in the arena? where can I buy them? if I do end up buying tickets before Friday what time do you suggest I get to the arena to ensure I get a seat?? never been to a section final here, only heard that its a great time... any info would be greatly appreciated guys.

tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:59 pm

DaggerzReady34 wrote:
gitter wrote:I have not heard, but I agree with you. I tried to go to the HM-Stillwater game last year, only to find they presold all the tickets. Living in the SW metro, its not like its easy for me to drive all the way over there the day before the game just to buy a ticket so I can drive back the next day.

So I live south of Lakeville some and am wanting to attend the game Friday night.... are you saying I need to probably buy tickets before Friday to get in the arena? where can I buy them? if I do end up buying tickets before Friday what time do you suggest I get to the arena to ensure I get a seat?? never been to a section final here, only heard that its a great time... any info would be greatly appreciated guys.
Ticket sale info 9AM to 2PM on Thursday and beginning at 3PM on Friday at Aldrich box office.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I understand the point about people getting turned away but I think I would rather have a super packed Aldrich than a half empty mariucci.

The51

Post by The51 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Wblhcky2424 wrote:I understand the point about people getting turned away but I think I would rather have a super packed Aldrich than a half empty mariucci.

I think Ridder would be the perfect size in terms of capacity, and if I'm not mistaken isn't an Olympic size sheet which I would rather watch the games on too. They should have double headers 3 nights in a row for Sections 1-6. And just make the section 1 game one of the friday night ones so in the rare case that a rochester team makes it their students can make the one hour drive each way without getting home late on a school night

Cougaralumni14

Post by Cougaralumni14 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm

The reason for it being at Aldrich is due to money, for section 5AA in my understanding at least. I agree 100% it should be played in the bigger venue, Ridder would be a perfect fit.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 pm

I think a positive to ridder is there is a lot more room for standing room only, you can stand around the entire rink without having to look through a chain link fence like someone mentioned earlier

ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:52 pm

For those of you who get turned away at the door and have that long drive home, Kevin Gorg and myself will be calling the game on KFAN FM 100.3 and http://kfan.com/listen

Also, my Target Center solves these issues. 4AA actually looked at it before getting discouraged because of the ice quality. The Target Center is replacing their refrigeration system and I feel if it's good enough for the freaking NCHC it should be good enough for high school hockey.

http://zachhalverson.kinja.com/zach-hal ... 6055211608

The51

Post by The51 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 pm

ZachHalverson wrote:
For those of you who get turned away at the door and have that long drive home, Kevin Gorg and myself will be calling the game on KFAN FM 100.3 and http://kfan.com/listen

Also, my Target Center solves these issues. 4AA actually looked at it before getting discouraged because of the ice quality. The Target Center is replacing their refrigeration system and I feel if it's good enough for the freaking NCHC it should be good enough for high school hockey.

http://zachhalverson.kinja.com/zach-hal ... 6055211608
2010 the ice quality was beyond terrible

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm

The51 wrote:
Wblhcky2424 wrote:I understand the point about people getting turned away but I think I would rather have a super packed Aldrich than a half empty mariucci.

I think Ridder would be the perfect size in terms of capacity, and if I'm not mistaken isn't an Olympic size sheet which I would rather watch the games on too. They should have double headers 3 nights in a row for Sections 1-6. And just make the section 1 game one of the friday night ones so in the rare case that a rochester team makes it their students can make the one hour drive each way without getting home late on a school night
Capacity at Ridder is actually less then Aldrich. It is also not Olympic size.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm

pioneers wrote:
The51 wrote:

But with the way it's configured with seats circling the entire night rink and greater standing room potential, hard to believe you can't get more people into Ridder than Aldrich. And Ridder is NHL size, like Aldrich. I actually think Aldrich is fine for 5AA since it's a true neutral site for all teams, but for 4AA...it's HM's home rink.

The51

Post by The51 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm

pioneers wrote:
The51 wrote:

That's what I meant was it was not Olympic size which is what I wanted. I made that comment in terms of moving the ones on Mariucci over to Ridder to give the more packed feel than as was said earlier in the thread "a half empty Mariucci"

As for the capacity of Aldrich v. Ridder I could be wrong but I find it tough to believe Aldrich can hold more than 3,500 people. If it can I'll be shocked and admit my mistake.

Either way whether it's Ridder or Mariucci, I would love to see this idea of back to back to back double headers happen as they would all be true neutral sights as well as relatively centrally located for all involved and serve as a "one stop shop" for fans interested in watching these games

Edit: To clarify I'm fine with the games being at Mariucci but I agree with the comments of Ridder having a more intense feel with the slightly smaller size and the NHL sized rink compared to Olympic at Mariucci would be an added benefit.

Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Ridder Arena (from Wikipedia)

The arena seats about 3,400 people; included in that total are the occupants of about 200 club seats and nine sky boxes.

Aldrich (from the maplewood mn.gov site)

Built in 1962, Aldrich is a historic building at over 53 years old. The arena has one regulation sheet of ice measuring 200’ x 85’. Aldrich serves as the classic host site for more than 100 high school hockey league and play-off games. It went down in history when it also hosted the first two High School Girls' Hockey State Tournaments. At full capacity, Aldrich has seating for over 3,400,

It appears to me to be a wash, with Ridder having more standing room but less actual seating if you exclude the clubs seats and sky boxes.

If you want to avoid early sell outs it's either Mariucci or Target Center.

The51

Post by The51 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Rich Clarke wrote:Ridder Arena (from Wikipedia)

The arena seats about 3,400 people; included in that total are the occupants of about 200 club seats and nine sky boxes.

Built in 1962, Aldrich is a historic building at over 53 years old. The arena has one regulation sheet of ice measuring 200’ x 85’. Aldrich serves as the classic host site for more than 100 high school hockey league and play-off games. It went down in history when it also hosted the first two High School Girls' Hockey State Tournaments. At full capacity, Aldrich has seating for over 3,400,

It appears to me to be a wash, with Ridder having more standing room but less actual seating if you exclude the clubs seats and sky boxes.

Wow, I stand corrected. In that case yes I agree I think Mariucci is the way to go Wednesday: 2AA/6AA, Thursday: 3AA/5AA, Friday: 1AA/4AA

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Ok, we're all in agreement, lets get the petition started!! :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:34 pm

I believe HM's preference would be to play section games at the X. It's where they belong.

<ducks>

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
<ducks>
Sparlimb the wise! :lol:

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:57 am

The51 wrote:
Rich Clarke wrote:Ridder Arena (from Wikipedia)

Wow, I stand corrected. In that case yes I agree I think Mariucci is the way to go Wednesday: 2AA/6AA, Thursday: 3AA/5AA, Friday: 1AA/4AA
It is my understanding that Friday's at Mariucci are off limits due to potential conflict with the Rodents' schedule. Same all nights for the Target Center and the Timberwolves whoever they are.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 am

I've been going to Aldrich since the Bonk\Yackel days.

Great venue.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Nothing was better than a Friday night double-header at the Coliseum (5AA at 6PM and 4AA at 9PM). If they can put refrigeration in for an outdoor game in Stillwater, how expensive could it be to put it in the Coliseum!

Just my two cents.

The51

Post by The51 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:09 pm

BodyShots wrote:Nothing was better than a Friday night double-header at the Coliseum (5AA at 6PM and 4AA at 9PM). If they can put refrigeration in for an outdoor game in Stillwater, how expensive could it be to put it in the Coliseum!

Just my two cents.
I've wondered this too. Loved Coliseum and wish it could make a return

As to WarmUpTheBus, I'm not surprised but jeez they send the Wild on a road trip every March for the girls and boys tourneys you'd think they could make sure the Gophers were always away that weekend :roll: