Double AA section finals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Double AA section finals

Post by elliott70 »

1 AA
2 Lakeville South 17-9-1
1 Lakeville North 20-5-2
North won 3-2 in OT and 6-2
Rivalry, but does South have a chance?

2AA
2 Holy Family Catholic 22-4-1
1 Eden Prairie 20-4-2
Did not play.
Every hockey fanatic wants to see Casey M at state.

3AA
6 Bloomington Jefferson 11-15-1
1 St Thomas Academy 22-4-1
STA won 6-2
What would be better than to see the Jags back at state?

4AA
semi game
6 Tartan 17-7-1
2 Hill Murray 17-5-4
3-3 tie and Hill winning he second game 6-1
vs 1 Stillwater 24-3-0
Did not play either of the other two.

5AA
2 Maple Grove 21-6-0
1 Centennial 22-4-1
Centennial lost early 5-3 won second meeting 5-0
Either would be a good entry but preference would be Centennial

6AA
3 Wayzata 9-17-1
1 Edina 20-6-1
Edina won both 4-1 and 3-1
It would be wild to see Wayzata back at the X, but the state tourney is not quite the same without the Hornets.

7AA
4 Grand Rapids 19-7-1
2 Duluth East 18-8-1
DEast won 5-0.
Unlikely seed of either team, but a chance for either to be in the finals.
Go figure.

8AA
3 Roseau 18-9-0
1 Moorhead 21-3-3
Roseau won back in December 3-2, then got smacked 7-0.
It would be nice to see Roseau back at the X, but Moorhead has a real chance at their first championship.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

How pathetic would the State Tournament be if Jefferson, Tartan, Wayzata, and Duluth East got in? Two teams with losing records and two teams without a legit win all season. :P
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

BodyShots wrote:How pathetic would the State Tournament be if Jefferson, Tartan, Wayzata, and Duluth East got in? Two teams with losing records and two teams without a legit win all season. :P
If they make it to State they would have at least one very legit win.
Goldyismoldy

Re: Double AA section finals

Post by Goldyismoldy »

elliott70 wrote:
8AA
3 Roseau 18-9-0
1 Moorhead 21-3-3
Roseau won back in December 3-2, then got smacked 7-0.
It would be nice to see Roseau back at the X, but Moorhead has a real chance at their first championship.

kidding...

Maybe if they recruited a 5th line center... :lol:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

cute dog
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Some say Holy Family may be the best team in the state.

They did manage a goal against Moorhead's six goals.

:lol:
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

elliott70 wrote:Some say Holy Family may be the best team in the state.

They did manage a goal against Moorhead's six goals. :lol:
Was at that game. HF was horrible and would have lost to Lesshead as well. Not sure it was a statement for Moorhead as much as HF being very bad for that game. That being said, I think any of the teams that make it this year have as good a chance as any teams in years past of pulling an upset title run.
Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy »

Some say Luverne too...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

redtundra wrote:

Was at that game. HF was horrible and would have lost to Lesshead as well. Not sure it was a statement for Moorhead as much as HF being very bad for that game. That being said, I think any of the teams that make it this year have as good a chance as any teams in years past of pulling an upset title run.
Jefferson, LS, Roseau and Tartan would be excluded from that statement from where I sit.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goldyismoldy wrote:

Some say Luverne too...
Yes, there are those folks.
They are a good team in the sw part of the state.
As good as Marshall, hmmmm.....
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

elliott70 wrote:
redtundra wrote:

Jefferson, LS, Roseau and Tartan would be excluded from that statement from where I sit.
- Agree... Assuming the chalk holds in most sections, with EP/HF, DE/GR, HM/SW being the most glaring toss-ups - and any of those 6 would suffice for a GREAT tourney.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

redtundra wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
redtundra wrote: Was at that game. HF was horrible and would have lost to Lesshead as well. Not sure it was a statement for Moorhead as much as HF being very bad for that game. That being said, I think any of the teams that make it this year have as good a chance as any teams in years past of pulling an upset title run.
- Agree... Assuming the chalk holds in most sections, with EP/HF, DE/GR, HM/SW being the most glaring toss-ups - and any of those 6 would suffice for a GREAT tourney.
YUP
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

The example I enjoy to bring up is Lakeville South upsetting Duluth East in 2012. For one night, the upset was great & fun to watch. The next night, Lakeville South lost to Benilde, 87-1, if I remember correctly.

Everyone loves an upset and they're fun......but be careful for what you wish for.

I would LOVE to see Jefferson back at state, and I think almost everyone else, minus STA players/relatives/students/fans would too. As long as everyone is willing to accept the possibility of someone completely boatracing them into a running time game on Thursday.

I can see Wayzata stealing it tonight vs. Edina & doing it once. But to do it 3 times in a row? No truer words have been spoken than Elliots "the state tourney is not quite the same without the Hornets."

Go favorites! As for 7AA....either team will make the tourney fun!
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

I, for one, have no interest in seeing the Jags in state this year. They would more than likely get whooped on Thursday. I don't want a Thursday like last year. 2 years ago was much better.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

50in15 wrote:I, for one, have no interest in seeing the Jags in state this year. They would more than likely get whooped on Thursday. I don't want a Thursday like last year. 2 years ago was much better.
I would love to see the Jags, regardless of what happens at the X.
Just for the simple reason if Jefferson is there STA is not.
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote:
50in15 wrote:I, for one, have no interest in seeing the Jags in state this year. They would more than likely get whooped on Thursday. I don't want a Thursday like last year. 2 years ago was much better.
I would love to see the Jags, regardless of what happens at the X.
Just for the simple reason if Jefferson is there STA is not.
Would be rather interesting if this Jefferson team is the one to finally make it back. Looking back at some of the talented teams they've had 2008-2012/2013. Would be interested to see how alums of those teams would feel if this less than stellar squad was the one to finally crack through. Especially those 2009 and 2010 teams that had to go through Edina instead of a much less difficult section they find themselves in this year
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I think you have to add Moorhead to that list.they do have a pretty team but they always choke at state.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Doc Holliday wrote:The example I enjoy to bring up is Lakeville South upsetting Duluth East in 2012. For one night, the upset was great & fun to watch. The next night, Lakeville South lost to Benilde, 87-1, if I remember correctly.

Everyone loves an upset and they're fun......but be careful for what you wish for.

I would LOVE to see Jefferson back at state, and I think almost everyone else, minus STA players/relatives/students/fans would too. As long as everyone is willing to accept the possibility of someone completely boatracing them into a running time game on Thursday.

I can see Wayzata stealing it tonight vs. Edina & doing it once. But to do it 3 times in a row? No truer words have been spoken than Elliots "the state tourney is not quite the same without the Hornets."

Go favorites! As for 7AA....either team will make the tourney fun!
It's better!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Is it shaping up to be a rematch of last years final on Thursday at the X?
Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

If Jefferson wins tonight (which is unlikely but stranger things have happened) there will be 2 sub .500 teams in the AA tourney. I'm guessing that has never happened before?
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Any idea what the worst record for a tourney team has been? Wayzata has the worst record I can recall. (Not that record matters at this point, because they are the defending champs and aren't going quietly into the night)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:Any idea what the worst record for a tourney team has been? Wayzata has the worst record I can recall. (Not that record matters at this point, because they are the defending champs and aren't going quietly into the night)
Rosemount 5-20-1
Of course it was tier 2.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:Any idea what the worst record for a tourney team has been? Wayzata has the worst record I can recall. (Not that record matters at this point, because they are the defending champs and aren't going quietly into the night)
i know in 2010 and 2013, Lakeville North came in with like 11 wins each of those years and were sub .500
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

bardown27 wrote:
i know in 2010 and 2013, Lakeville North came in with like 11 wins each of those years and were sub .500
2010 LN finished 11-15-2
2011 13-14-1
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

elliott70 wrote:
bardown27 wrote:
2010 LN finished 11-15-2
2011 13-14-1
2013 11-16-1