Class A QF: Luverne vs. #1 Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Cardinals
34%
Hawks
66%

Total votes: 41

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Chicken Hawks - 11
Cards - 0

Prediction:

Brucie will run two lines during running time until each of the forwards on the top line polish off their Hat Tricks. He's ready to make a statement this year!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Jeffy95 wrote:Chicken Hawks - 11
Cards - 0

Prediction:

Brucie will run two lines during running time until each of the forwards on the top line polish off their Hat Tricks. He's ready to make a statement this year!
They will probably only have to run them for a period then. Brucie should just bring the JV down for Wednesday's game. :lol:
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

InigoMontoya wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:We know Hermantown is going to win.

BUT
Luverne has made HS hockey a bit more exciting.
Most of here like the Cards.
I'm thinking the most you're referring to are all from Luverne. If you're not affiliated with the city I'm guessing a double digit goal differential is at the top of your wish list.
3A came in under the radar last year and kept up with Hermantown pretty well until they ran out of gas (and Hermantown stepped on it) with about 5 left in the 2nd. 3A is all over the radar this year; I don't think Hermantown will get surprised. This game will be over early. Hermantown kids will be trying to keep pace with Delano point scorers to make the all-tourney team. Unless the loser of the #4-#5 game loses interest in the consolation bracket, the Cards could give up a couple dozen goals in a couple days.
You also picked LDC to hang a Touchdown on Luverne in the Section game, of which they didn't even make. Let's just let them play the game and see what happens.
BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

fastncrash wrote:

BUT
EVERYONE knew Atlanta was going to win the Superbowl at halftime.

"That's why we have to actually PLAY the games".
Do you think Luverne can come back from 17 down in 2nd period? :D
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I
I believe
I believe the
I believe the Cards

Forget about it.

HT 8
Luv 0

Does the clock stop for commercials?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

fastncrash wrote:

BUT
EVERYONE knew Atlanta was going to win the Superbowl at halftime.

"That's why we have to actually PLAY the games".
Are they the Thrashers?
Don't they play in a rink?

Moral of the story don't bet against Tom Brady; don't bet against Bruce Plante until the final game>
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

GoldyGopher wrote:

BUT
I'm thinking the most you're referring to are all from Luverne. If you're not affiliated with the city I'm guessing a double digit goal differential is at the top of your wish list.

You think hermantown is more liked than Luverne? You think Luverne keeps this close at the end the whole state won't be pulling for the upset? C'mon man.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

notTONIGHT wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:

BUT

You think hermantown is more liked than Luverne? You think Luverne keeps this close at the end the whole state won't be pulling for the upset? C'mon man.
I'm referring to people in southern MN who get the "privilege" of dealing with the Luverne hockey program.

" - denotes sarcasm.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

GoldyGopher wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: I'm thinking the most you're referring to are all from Luverne. If you're not affiliated with the city I'm guessing a double digit goal differential is at the top of your wish list.

I'm referring to people in southern MN who get the "privilege" of dealing with the Luverne hockey program.

" - denotes sarcasm.
Generally speaking those in southern Minnesota who deal with the Luverne hockey program share a common feeling with those that try and compete with Hermantown.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

notTONIGHT wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

" - denotes sarcasm.
Generally speaking those in southern Minnesota who deal with the Luverne hockey program share a common feeling with those that try and compete with Hermantown.
Yeah, totally. All 2 trips to state have Luverne on another level than the rest of the southern MN teams.....................................
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

How about congratulations to Luverne for getting back to the X and being the only 3A team (that I remember) that has had any success there. That game a couple years ago vs Htown was not close because Hermantown was surprised. It was close because Luverne had some good players that worked as a team and a very good powerplay. Hopefully it will be that way again. No one likes a blowout at state. I don't expect them to win, but you must play it out to see.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

hawkenjonny wrote:How about congratulations to Luverne for getting back to the X and being the only 3A team (that I remember) that has had any success there. That game a couple years ago vs Htown was not close because Hermantown was surprised. It was close because Luverne had some good players that worked as a team and a very good powerplay. Hopefully it will be that way again. No one likes a blowout at state. I don't expect them to win, but you must play it out to see.
Success isn't measured in terms of how close the game is. It's measured in wins and losses. That's piss poor logic you're using. Note that Hermantown lost by 4 goals to EGF that same year. If you want to use logic like that then you can congratulate New Ulm from 14-15 who lost to Mahtomedi in Rd 1 by the same 6-3 score.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

hawkenjonny wrote:How about congratulations to Luverne for getting back to the X and being the only 3A team (that I remember) that has had any success there. That game a couple years ago vs Htown was not close because Hermantown was surprised. It was close because Luverne had some good players that worked as a team and a very good powerplay. Hopefully it will be that way again. No one likes a blowout at state. I don't expect them to win, but you must play it out to see.
Yes, hats off to the cards, a true small town, successful program. But that team a couple years ago had a lot more talent and great goaltending. No, nobody likes a blowout at State. But that's most likely what you're going to get playing a Quasi-Private Metro team with free tuition.
I aint no Bender

Post by I aint no Bender »

Hermantown 9 to possibly 12

Luverne O to possibly 1

Whatever happens its not going to be close. Its the facts people. SWMN hockey still has a ways to go to catch up to the rest, but in the so distant future.....5.....6 years??? Lookout there is promise on the horizon. Trust me.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

I aint no Bender wrote:Hermantown 9 to possibly 12

Luverne O to possibly 1

Whatever happens its not going to be close. Its the facts people. SWMN hockey still has a ways to go to catch up to the rest, but in the so distant future.....5.....6 years??? Lookout there is promise on the horizon. Trust me.
Fill us in? The sun will come up again on Thursday right?
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

To be fair, Hermantown has blown out teams from all around the state.
I think if it does happen to be a blow-out that'll it say more about Hermantown than it will SWMN hockey, in this instance.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

My point, "faulty logic" aside, was that the game was not a blowout and the cardinals won a game and lost the third in OT at that state tournament which no other team from 3A has ever done. The growth of that program is something to smile about if you care about MN high school hockey. No argument here regarding the differences between this years team and that one.
fastncrash

Tourney

Post by fastncrash »

Luverne is so far out in the (Carbon Fibre) Sticks that the Entire Tourney is going to be on Cable TV here! :)
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

hawkenjonny wrote:My point, "faulty logic" aside, was that the game was not a blowout and the cardinals won a game and lost the third in OT at that state tournament which no other team from 3A has ever done. The growth of that program is something to smile about if you care about MN high school hockey. No argument here regarding the differences between this years team and that one.
No other 3A team has won a game? Or no other 3A team has lost the 3rd game in OT?
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Well as it happened a few years ago, when all the seeded teams got KO'd in the first round....

ANyone think the Cards have any chance at continuing the streak?

Me personally ,

7-1 Hermantown
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

GPGT wrote:Well as it happened a few years ago, when all the seeded teams got KO'd in the first round....

ANyone think the Cards have any chance at continuing the streak?

Me personally ,

7-1 Hermantown
Well did the game get cancelled? They have a chance!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Ha, Just dont know a ton about them.. Other than seeing their game schedule..
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

How many kids left Luverne that could still be playing?

How much closer would the score be?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Luverne doing a nice job in this game. Goal tender looks real confident. If they can keep this close after 2............It's only 1 period but it's the start they needed.

I have nothing against Hermantown but I hope this game stays tight all the way.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

MrBoDangles wrote:How many kids left Luverne that could still be playing?

How much closer would the score be?
Nelson would certainly make a difference.