Class AA QF: Hill-Murray vs. #3 Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Pioneers
40%
Spuds
60%

Total votes: 48

karl(east)

Class AA QF: Hill-Murray vs. #3 Moorhead

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:00 pm

HILL-MURRAY VS. #3 MOORHEAD
1:00 Thursday
Two State Tournament regulars meet in a quarterfinal with great potential. Moorhead won a February meeting between these two 4-3 in OT. Hill leads the State series 2-1, the most recent meeting being their 2-1 OT win in the 2012 semis.

Hill-Murray (19-5-4, #12, 2-seed in 4AA)
State appearances: 27 (first since 2015)
State championships: 3 (1983, 1991, 2008)
Key section win: 6-3 over #4 Stillwater
-This certainly isn’t the most talented Hill squad ever, but they play coach Bill Lechner’s signature tight defensive style. They do have a few flashy forwards, including Wisconsin recruit Ben Helgeson (14), the diminutive Brock Bremer (20), and Kyler Yeo (9), the son of the former Wild coach. Emmet Nath (27) has also had a productive year. The defense lacks a real standout, though Joey Petronack (12) was the most productive of the bunch, and they all know what to do within the system. Backing it all up is Jake Begley (1), arguably the top AA goaltender this season. This all makes the Pioneers a nasty draw, and if they can score enough, they’re a threat to go a long way.

Moorhead (22-3-3, #9, 1-seed in 8AA)
State appearances: 15 (first since 2013)
Key section win: 6-0 over #25 Roseau
-The Spuds are back at State after a three-year absence, and upsets have cleared their way to a top-3 seed. The offensive production is not especially deep, but Carter Randklev (6), Cole O’Connell (11), and Jack Stetz (21), make up a very dangerous top line. Sophomore North Dakota recruit Ethan Frisch (5) is one of the silkiest defensemen on display, and with Carson Kosobud (2), Parker Larson (22), and Carter Howell (13), the Spuds can lock down in back, as evidenced by three straight shutouts in the 8AA playoffs. Lance Leonard (30) had a strong season in net. They’ve been on a roll, and are undefeated in their last 18 games; if this young group can handle the bright lights, they have the pieces to play on Saturday night.
Last edited by karl(east) on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:24 pm

This one screams one goal game. Hill led the regular season game halfway through the third and lost in OT. I think Begley will be the difference this time around as Hill takes step 2 of their revenge tour.

SPUDNUT

Re: Class AA QF: Hill-Murray vs. #3 Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:26 pm

karl(east) wrote:HILL-MURRAY VS. #3 MOORHEAD

-The Spuds are back at State after a three-year absence, and upsets have cleared their way to a top-3 seed. The offensive production is not especially deep, but Carter Randklev (6), Cole O’Connell (11), and Jake Stetz (21), make up a very dangerous top line. Sophomore North Dakota recruit Ethan Frisch (5) is one of the silkiest defensemen on display, and with Carson Kosobud (2), Parker Larson (22), and Carter Howell (13), the Spuds can lock down in back, as evidenced by three straight shutouts in the 8AA playoffs. Lance Leonard (30) had a strong season in net. They’ve been on a roll, and are undefeated in their last 18 games; if this young group can handle the bright lights, they have the pieces to play on Saturday night.
Jack Stetz maybe won't see much humor in ya' calling him Jake.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

I always like Lex' chances in a re-match.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Stars alums post to Slapshooter...
starsalum wrote:I dare you to save your 3,00th post for Moorheads championship, DOUBLE dare.
Starsalum, Zamman, kodiakchew....

I miss AHA posters. Class acts all.
Last edited by Goldyismoldy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Moorhead has been as good as anyone for many weeks now. Hill has been as good as anyone most of the year. Should be a game that comes right down to the buzzer. Spuds by a goal late.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Art Ross Trophy: boblee
Bill Masterson Memorial Trophy: elliot70
Calder Memorial Trophy: Statechamp97
Conn Smyth Trophy: slapshooter
Hart Memorial Trophy: East Hockey
Lady Byng Trophy: Lundy
Images/Emoticons/Humor: Nuetron14
Boxscores: Stich Lips
Video production: Stich Lips
Must Read: Packerboy
Lifetime Achievement Award: EREmpire, ChrisK, Angus Young, Zamman, Goldy 313

Poster of the Year: The kid from that Mankato school who got busted calling out his coach on that interesting January Monday evening.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:26 pm

SPUDNUT wrote:

-The Spuds are back at State after a three-year absence, and upsets have cleared their way to a top-3 seed. The offensive production is not especially deep, but Carter Randklev (6), Cole O’Connell (11), and Jake Stetz (21), make up a very dangerous top line. Sophomore North Dakota recruit Ethan Frisch (5) is one of the silkiest defensemen on display, and with Carson Kosobud (2), Parker Larson (22), and Carter Howell (13), the Spuds can lock down in back, as evidenced by three straight shutouts in the 8AA playoffs. Lance Leonard (30) had a strong season in net. They’ve been on a roll, and are undefeated in their last 18 games; if this young group can handle the bright lights, they have the pieces to play on Saturday night.
Typo repaired, thanks.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Poster of the Year: The kid from that Mankato school who got busted calling out his coach on that interesting January Monday evening.

SynergyStud if my memory is correct. That was funny that night.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Poster of the Year: The kid from that Mankato school who got busted calling out his coach on that interesting January Monday evening.

Give that man a cigar.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Many great Hill posters over the years. Sparlimb, hillhockey, sachisi, pioneers, pioneerprideguy, imgayimloudandimproudguy, and the rest.

But the greatest ever was Ankles Pierre Jr.

He'd say stuff that would make the aforementioned cringe.

He was Elliot's best fiend.

I'm rooting for Ankles in this matchup.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:05 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Poster of the Year: The kid from that Mankato school who got busted calling out his coach on that interesting January Monday evening.

Are you coming over for Thursday?

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm

karl(east) wrote:
SPUDNUT wrote:

Typo repaired, thanks.
That's OK - too much time on my hands !

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:27 am

Goldyismoldy wrote:

Work won't allow me too. I'm not even going to be able to watch the afternoon games Thursday on the web. Should be able to catch the evening session. I knew this a few weeks ago so thats why I made the 1 night round trip to Amsoil the other night.

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 am

The other side of the bracket (EP, GR, MG, Wayzata) is much harder IMO. I'm not saying Hill can go on a run, but the bracket set up gives them their best shot to get to Saturday night. An even OT game with the spuds to end the regular season, and a season split with STA. I like their odds.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am

Moorhead 4
HM 2

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:

Work won't allow me too. I'm not even going to be able to watch the afternoon games Thursday on the web. Should be able to catch the evening session. I knew this a few weeks ago so thats why I made the 1 night round trip to Amsoil the other night.
There are other jobs you know...

8)

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:01 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:Moorhead 4
HM 2
Penalties in the first period?

spudnik

Post by spudnik » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Moorhead outplayed HM a couple weeks ago, but the third spud goal probably shouldn't have counted. Puck loose out front and the whistle never came. Begley was pissed. This is going to be a close game, I'll say 3-2 Spuds OT.

blueblood

Potatoes vs Pioneers

Post by blueblood » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Potatoes by 2

BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Fun facts about spuds:

Minnesota ranks 7th in the nation in potato production.

The vast majority of potatoes harvested in Minnesota will be turned into delicious fries.

On average, you can get 5-10 potatoes per plant.

That is all. I'm very bored waiting for Wednesday. Isn't there some medication that can speed up time? Oh yeah, booze. Pass out, wake up on Wednesday! I kid. I kid.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:Many great Hill posters over the years. Sparlimb, hillhockey, sachisi, pioneers, pioneerprideguy, imgayimloudandimproudguy, and the rest.

flattered 8)
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:41 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:I'm very bored waiting for Wednesday. Isn't there some medication that can speed up time? Oh yeah, booze. Pass out, wake up on Wednesday! I kid. I kid.
I'm usually that way until the first 5 minutes of the first Class A QF, and then I remember how awful the Class A QFs are every year. Then I put it back on mute and go back to work...

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
Goldyismoldy wrote:Many great Hill posters over the years. Sparlimb, hillhockey, sachisi, pioneers, pioneerprideguy, imgayimloudandimproudguy, and the rest.

flattered 8)
Dammit! I didn't think you were still around.... :lol:

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I picked the Spuds in a tight one the other day but something is telling me Hill wins a nail biter now. In my opinion this game is large because I believe that the winner is going to be playing Saturday night.