AA Tourney Picks

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cougaralumni14

AA Tourney Picks

Post by Cougaralumni14 »

Quarterfinals

#2 St. Thomas Academy v. Lakeville South- STA 7-1
I don't see this one being a close one, certainly the easiest matchup in the quarters. I've seen STA play and overall the speed and defensive responsibility bodes well for the cadets to make a deep run. Kelly's play will help down the line I feel.

#3 Moorhead v. Hill Murray- Hill Murray 4-3
Have not seen either of these two play though I feel Hill Murray gets the edge in the rematch. I think it comes down to experience in this one. Like Tony Scott said in the podcast I also believe Moorhead is a year away from dominating this tournament. Begley is the X- factor (Irony) although Randklev, Stetz, and O'Connell may have something to say about that. This one will be the best matchup of the quarters and has instant classic potential.

#1 Eden Praire v. Wayzata- EP 5-1
Hard to pick an upset here with a team who has won a total of 10 games this season. The returning state champs will hang in there through the first, but after that the depth of EP is simply too much. I expect Mittlestadt and company to have a productive day.

#4 Maple Grove v. #5 Grand Rapids- Rapids 5-3
This one comes down to two things, how well can the big three play (Hain, Miller, Mclaughlin) and how well freshman Ethan Haider can stand up to the pressure of the biggest stage in high school hockey. I think that experience really favors the Thunder hawks and that is what will give them the edge. Maple Grove's play style doesn't favor this matchup. Their run and gun offense I feel will back fire and Rapids will be able to counter and convert more often than the Crimson.

Semi Finals

#2 St. Thomas Academy v. Hill Murray - STA 3-2
Battle of the private schools and Metro East rivals this one really could go either way. Having split the regular season series I think the cadets take the third meeting between the Pios. Both teams have solid goaltending and strong defensive systems although I believe STA has more of a scoring punch. Reim, Stucker, and the Christy's will be the most important players for STA to come away with this one.

#1 Eden Praire v. #5 Grand Rapids - EP 5-4
A shootout at its finest will be the storyline of this matchup between the two most talented top lines in the tourney. The big three will do all they can to carry the scoring for the Thunder hawks but in the end I think depth will be the decider. It's hard to pick against the prodigal son and the Eagles. I feel Jensen and Leivermann will be important in this one as a member of the supporting cast.

Final

#1 Eden Praire v. #2 St. Thomas Academy - EP 3-1
Casey completes his dream of winning a state high school championship with a 3 to 1 win over the cadets. Overall the Eagles have the complete advantage over the whole field in all facets of the game. The experience the Eagles posses having made it to the championship game last year and returning much of that very same squad bodes well to support their victory in the final. The shoring up of their achilles heel in goal this season also solidifies that notion.

3rd place

The Thunder hawks will represent the northland well and come back with the hardware from St. Paul with a 3-1 win over the Pioneers. Hill Murray's roller coaster year will end on a low. Jake Begley will have a great tournament I just think the pioneers scoring depth will be their downfall after the opening round.

Consolation

Moorhead will clean house at Mariucci and win the consolation championship against Wayzata in a 5-2 final score. Maple Grove will continue the struggle of 5AA at the state tournament and under represented 1AA will be handedly dealt with throughout the tournament.

Anyways these are my predictions and analysis, let me know your guys thoughts. Happy Tourney everyone its bound to be a good one!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I mean, I don't see anything that makes me crap my pants with shock. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see an STA EP final.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I wrote up a Class AA tourney preview with my picks here:

http://minnpuck.blogspot.com/2017/03/20 ... ament.html
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

STA 3 LVS 1
MHD 2 HM 3 ot
EP 4 WYZ 1
MG 2 GR 4

STA 2 HM 3
EP 5 GR 3

EP 5 HM 2
Go Zephyrs
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

STA 4 - LS 2
MHD 3 - HM 1
EP 6 - WZTA 2
Rapids 5 - MG 3

STA 3 - MHD 2 OT
Rapids 5 - EP 4 OT

STA 4 - Rapids 3
sparty

Post by sparty »

First-round:
Lakeville South beats overconfident former Class A STA
Moorhead dismantles Hill-Murray in a way that shocks fans
Wayzata puzzles Eden Prairie and repeats state dominance over them
Maple Grove tired of being overlooked dispatches Grand Rapids quickly

Semi-finals:
Moorhead romps as Lakeville South's lack of state experience emerges
Maple Grove defeats Wayzata with talent, depth, and determination.

Championship:
Moorhead smashes Maple Grove into crimson spuds.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

I love the dis-respect for Lakeville South, I hope STA is overlooking them too! I'm not predicting a victory but STA 7-1 :shock: I think it goes either way by 1 goal, possibly overtime. STA 7-1 :shock: Wow ... shaking my head.

For the rest of my picks, I'll go with Hill-Murray by a goal, Ep by 3 and Grand Rapids by 2 with and EN. Whoever wins between LVS and STA will lose to Hill by 2 goals and Grand Rapids in a stunning upset over EP by 2 goals. Grand Rapids wins over Hill-Murray for their 4th Championship.

Class A - East Grand Forks in a stunner over Hermantown in the Semi final and Delano the Champs!! :lol: I can dream can't I ??
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

sparty wrote:First-round:
Lakeville South beats overconfident former Class A STA
Moorhead dismantles Hill-Murray in a way that shocks fans
Wayzata puzzles Eden Prairie and repeats state dominance over them
Maple Grove tired of being overlooked dispatches Grand Rapids quickly

Semi-finals:
Moorhead romps as Lakeville South's lack of state experience emerges
Maple Grove defeats Wayzata with talent, depth, and determination.

Championship:
Moorhead smashes Maple Grove into crimson spuds.
0fer
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

hill to beat Wayzata in the final
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

STA over Lakeville
HM over Mhead
EP over Wayz
MG over GR

STA over HM
EP over GR

STA takes the prize.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

STA 7 LVS 1, remember that one?? Lol, oops I guess not, keep dis respecting :lol:
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB