Hockey Hub Article on Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Hockey Hub Article on Hermantown

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 pm

Wow, even Scott Pionk, the Smartest Hockey Guy in Hermantown, has publicly called them out. Even Plante admits they're a AA program. Yet, they're staying in Class A. You couldn't make this stuff up.

http://m.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/s ... _id=869625

hockey59
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: Hockey Hub Article on Hermantown

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 am

Jeffy95 wrote:Wow, even Scott Pionk, the Smartest Hockey Guy in Hermantown, has publicly called them out. Even Plante admits they're a AA program. Yet, they're staying in Class A. You couldn't make this stuff up.

http://m.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/s ... _id=869625
To quote Andy Dufrane from Shawshank
Redemption...regarding Plante..."How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate?

rainier
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Earth

Post by rainier » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:22 am

Plante seems surprised that he and the program are getting hammered on so hard by just about every hockey fan in MN. He clearly is not aware of the concept of karma. It made perfect sense to him to bash STA and Breck every year, but why-oh-why are others doing that to us now?

It's great to see a prominent member of the Hermantown hockey community (Pionk) call out the powers that be. Complete insanity going on in the swamp behind the Miller Hill Mall.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

elliott70
Posts: 13703
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am

Who gets to make the decision for Hermantown?

The school board? AD?

Does anyone know for sure?

Goose21
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Post by Goose21 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 am

Interesting that Pionk said two-thirds to 75 percent of hockey parents want to stay A. They want the easy road to State. The comments go against the reports that the majority of parents/players want to move up.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:09 am

elliott70 wrote:Who gets to make the decision for Hermantown?

The school board? AD?

Does anyone know for sure?
School boards don't usually weigh in on things like this. It's the Administration and AD that makes the call. Plante said in the past that they left it up to him. Now that he's on board I have to assume it comes down to money. It's the only explanation left. They get $9,000 from the State for each of the open-enrolled kids that go there to play Hockey. I'm sure they're afraid that will dry up if they don't have the guaranteed State trip. At least that's the only thing I can think of.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:20 am

Goose21 wrote:Interesting that Pionk said two-thirds to 75 percent of hockey parents want to stay A. They want the easy road to State. The comments go against the reports that the majority of parents/players want to move up.
Of course they want the guaranteed trip to State, that's why they send their kids to Hermantown. But Hockey Associations and Schools have board members and Administration for a reason. 75% of sports parents are clueless, which matches the above.

Mite-dad
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 am

IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 am

Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
The U invented swagger.

SCBlueLiner
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
Yeah, he lost me on that one as well.

I understand the hate for the privates, they recruit, it's not community based, etc., etc., though I don't see how that argument flies anymore with open enrollment. But I don't see anyone advocating for allowing a private school to start their own youth hockey program and allowing the hockey playing kids in their feeder parochial elementary and middle schools to play for that program. Would that make things better instead of people just get mad at them for "recruiting"?

Hint: private schools have to recruit, they have to recruit every student they get, whether it is for athletics, debate, band, show choir, or plain academics. They have to recruit everyday or they close their doors.

Oh, and to the original point, aren't all these kids from St. Cloud, so they really have no other choice than to play for the local youth association? Unless, you are saying that private schools shouldn't be allowed to field hockey programs, because only publics should have programs otherwise it's not really community based.

GoldyGopher
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 am
Location: Not Luverne

Post by GoldyGopher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
Probably doesn't happen nearly as much as it does in the cities, but every kid that has ever put on the yellow and blue has not been a product of the SC youth program. I know a kid from when I was in school that went there to play hockey. I lived 30 miles east of SC at that point. So it does happen, just not nearly as much as other privates.

I don't mind the recruiting one bit. Like it was already stated, they need to fill chairs to keep the school open.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

Mite-dad
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
River Lakes and Sartell regularly lose kids to the program. Beltz I know is a RL kid. Karki was a Sartell kid. I understand that most of the kids are St. Cloud kids, but they regularly pull most of the best St. Cloud kids, I'm sure because of the better chance to make the tournament. There's a reason Apollo no longer exists and Tech can't consistently draw enough kids to compete in AA. And there's no reason a team from St. Cloud shouldn't occasionally compete for a AA section title.

MWS coach
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Post by MWS coach » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
There is a D man that was in the line up yesterday from STMA, another enrolled as 9th grader from Princeton that played this winter in St. Cloud youth so he is eligible to play Varsity as a 10th grader. May be others?

Hermhawkey
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Who gets to make the decision for Hermantown?

The school board? AD?

Does anyone know for sure?
School boards don't usually weigh in on things like this. It's the Administration and AD that makes the call. Plante said in the past that they left it up to him. Now that he's on board I have to assume it comes down to money. It's the only explanation left. They get $9,000 from the State for each of the open-enrolled kids that go there to play Hockey. I'm sure they're afraid that will dry up if they don't have the guaranteed State trip. At least that's the only thing I can think of.
Opting up wouldn't change the number of open enrollees and Jeffy you know it. That is ridiculous...just another way for you to keep saying "open enrollee". We will always fill the available slots (not many) and is not because of hockey but because of school reputation or proximity.

I disagree with Scott. Most parents I have talk to would like a move up now. This is alll falls on Beth Clark our AD who I have never actually seen anywhere near the rinks. Clearly out of touch. None of us hockey parents have been polled in any way. I did hear from a yourh hockey board member directly about a vote (or poll) that came back heavily in favor as I have mentioned before.

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 am

Mite-dad wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
River Lakes and Sartell regularly lose kids to the program. Beltz I know is a RL kid. Karki was a Sartell kid. I understand that most of the kids are St. Cloud kids, but they regularly pull most of the best St. Cloud kids, I'm sure because of the better chance to make the tournament. There's a reason Apollo no longer exists and Tech can't consistently draw enough kids to compete in AA. And there's no reason a team from St. Cloud shouldn't occasionally compete for a AA section title.
Is it Cathedral's fault that they get the best kids from their own city? What would you like them to do? Say "Nope, can't come here, you're too good. Go play for the St. Cloud team?" Yes there is a reason that Apollo and Tech have to combine to field a team, the numbers are down. Not because there is a lack of talent.
The U invented swagger.

SCBlueLiner
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
River Lakes and Sartell regularly lose kids to the program. Beltz I know is a RL kid. Karki was a Sartell kid. I understand that most of the kids are St. Cloud kids, but they regularly pull most of the best St. Cloud kids, I'm sure because of the better chance to make the tournament. There's a reason Apollo no longer exists and Tech can't consistently draw enough kids to compete in AA. And there's no reason a team from St. Cloud shouldn't occasionally compete for a AA section title.
Is it Cathedral's fault that they get the best kids from their own city? What would you like them to do? Say "Nope, can't come here, you're too good. Go play for the St. Cloud team?" Yes there is a reason that Apollo and Tech have to combine to field a team, the numbers are down. Not because there is a lack of talent.
And to that end, what you are really saying is there are not enough kids in St. Cloud playing hockey in order to field 3 decent teams. By your own admission, the two public schools only have enough to field one mediocre team combined and the private school has to recruit kids from outside the area to compete in 1A. Isn't the real issue that there are not enough kids playing hockey in St. Cloud to fill 3 HS teams? I'd say you guys are better off recruiting new mite players this off-season than complaining about SCC. Heck, you should maybe thank SCC because if the go on to win State at 1A that might just provide a boost to the St. Cloud youth program.

Hermhawkey
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 am

As a side note. It took us overtime to beat Luverne, with arguably the best team in our history. They have obviously rasied their game and so has Delano and a few others. Maybe it's time you from all the other associations start looking at how you can improve your situation and not worry so much about ours.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 am

Hermhawkey wrote:As a side note. It took us overtime to beat Luverne, with arguably the best team in our history. They have obviously rasied their game and so has Delano and a few others. Maybe it's time you from all the other associations start looking at how you can improve your situation and not worry so much about ours.
Yep, those teams are only 8 Straight State Championship games away! Things have really gotten tight at the A Level! We finally got Bruce on board and HermHawk is there to pick up the torch of excuses. Priceless!

:lol:

GoldyGopher
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 am
Location: Not Luverne

Post by GoldyGopher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
River Lakes and Sartell regularly lose kids to the program. Beltz I know is a RL kid. Karki was a Sartell kid. I understand that most of the kids are St. Cloud kids, but they regularly pull most of the best St. Cloud kids, I'm sure because of the better chance to make the tournament. There's a reason Apollo no longer exists and Tech can't consistently draw enough kids to compete in AA. And there's no reason a team from St. Cloud shouldn't occasionally compete for a AA section title.
Is it Cathedral's fault that they get the best kids from their own city? What would you like them to do? Say "Nope, can't come here, you're too good. Go play for the St. Cloud team?" Yes there is a reason that Apollo and Tech have to combine to field a team, the numbers are down. Not because there is a lack of talent.
He's not saying it's their fault. He's merely stating like I was that it's not all Saint Cloud youth program kids which was previously stated and incorrect.

Can't fault SCC one bit for taking talented players that want to play there.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

Mite-dad
Posts: 1113
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 am

It is what it is. SCC will always have advantages over surrounding 1A schools. A good private program drawing from a large metro area and surrounding smaller communities and stays at the 1A level so they can go to the state tourny most years. Very desirable situation for parents of hockey kids in the area. Very similar to Hermantown really.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 am

Mite-dad wrote:It is what it is. SCC will always have advantages over surrounding 1A schools. A good private program drawing from a large metro area and surrounding smaller communities and stays at the 1A level so they can go to the state tourny most years. Very desirable situation for parents of hockey kids in the area. Very similar to Hermantown really.
Except that tuition is free at Hermantown. Every private, with the possible exception of Hill-Murray, goes through ups and downs because of that. Hermantown is the only Class A school that doesn't have those cycles. SCC is the only private that made the Class A field this year. Hermantown beat them 7-1.

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Post by Goldy Gopher » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 am

Mite-dad wrote:It is what it is. SCC will always have advantages over surrounding 1A schools. A good private program drawing from a large metro area and surrounding smaller communities and stays at the 1A level so they can go to the state tourny most years. Very desirable situation for parents of hockey kids in the area. Very similar to Hermantown really.
Are you proposing that they should be forced to play AA because the best players in their youth feeder system choose to play there?
The U invented swagger.

elliott70
Posts: 13703
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:26 am

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:IMVHO, the saddest thing about the whole mess, is the weeny parents from other associations that move little "Johnny" to Hermantown to get to the tournament. Same can be said for SCC really. I highly doubt that little "Johnny" is begging his parents to leave his youth hockey friends to go to Hermantown.
Who on SCC is from outside of the St. Cloud Youth Hockey Association?
Who on Hermantown is from outside of the HYHA?

I have talked with many people in the know of this and they all say every varsity player has played in the youth program since at least peewees, most for their whole life.
If you live somewhere you can choose what school your child will attend, would you not take into consideration all factors?

I sit waiting to read the list from the roster of where these recruits are from.

Jeffy95
Posts: 891
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 am

elliott70 wrote:Who gets to make the decision for Hermantown?

The school board? AD?

Does anyone know for sure?
Oh well, they aren't going anywhere so I guess it's a dead issue. Time to move this thread to the Girls Forum and be thankful that the real Tournament starts today. Go Rapids!

Hermhawkey
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:As a side note. It took us overtime to beat Luverne, with arguably the best team in our history. They have obviously rasied their game and so has Delano and a few others. Maybe it's time you from all the other associations start looking at how you can improve your situation and not worry so much about ours.
Yep, those teams are only 8 Straight State Championship games away! Things have really gotten tight at the A Level! We finally got Bruce on board and HermHawk is there to pick up the torch of excuses. Priceless!

:lol:
Question. If HT leaves who could compete at State in 7A?

Post Reply