AA Championship Game: #5 Grand Rapids vs. #3 Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who you got?

Indians
52%
Spuds
48%

Total votes: 27

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:26 am

In last year's tourney it seemed like Micah Miller had the speed to just blow by people. I haven't seen that this year. Any Rapids fans that have watched all year have any insight on this? Has the speed been there during the season? He hasn't stood out as much as the other two in my opinion.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:29 am

Jeffy95 wrote:In last year's tourney it seemed like Micah Miller had the speed to just blow by people. I haven't seen that this year. Any Rapids fans that have watched all year have any insight on this? Has the speed been there during the season? He hasn't stood out as much as the other two in my opinion.
Been wondering that myself, Jeff. Maybe others have caught up???

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

mnmouth wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I hope no one is tuning out because Casey is done. As a unit, this GR group is just as compelling, and of course Moorhead is still looking for #1 in try #8.

Looking at the last seven, though: 2 were extreme longshots that had upset their way to the final (2001, 2009), 2 ran into the Jefferson dynasty, the really really good 95 team got Spehar'd, the 04 team was also very good but played that elite Centennial team...that leaves 2005 as maybe the only year where they really should have won. That team had a certain senior defenseman named Jon Ammerman on it...

My point: this Spuds team is a nice combination of talent and also lack of pressure or high expectations, given their youth. They're just out there playing very good hockey, and haven't had to endure anywhere near the roller coaster Rapids has. But Rapids is incredibly well battle-tested, on a roll, and seems to be putting it all together.

I'll be in the Spud camp tomorrow night--nice to root for a northern team that isn't a rival--but if I were a betting man, my money would be on Rapids right now.
Draw a line across the state from Duluth to Moorhead. Certainly no one is tuning out north of that line. Couldn't care less what those folks south of the line do. I tune out plenty when its two south/Metro teams playing for a title.

After 37 years, it's time an IRC team returns the championship to where it belongs. Moorhead will have their shot again in 2018 in another All-North final against Duluth East.

Go Rapids!!!
Yeah, I think you can draw a line from North Branch straight across the state and basically anyone north of the metro is watching. We are all fired up about an all north final. And... it's just been great hockey. Maybe you lose some metro fans, but probably not. Someone posted on Twitter yesterday that the Excel had the biggest crowd of all NHL venues hosting games yesterday. So cool!

Potatohead9

Depth vs top line

Post by Potatohead9 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:20 pm

If spuds can contain the GR top line they will wear down GR skating three lines to GRs two. Three games in three days will wear down anybody.
Spuds3-1 en[/code]
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!

north_bear

Re: Depth vs top line

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Potatohead9 wrote:If spuds can contain the GR top line they will wear down GR skating three lines to GRs two. Three games in three days will wear down anybody.
Spuds3-1 en[/code]
Eden Prairie contained the top line very well last night. How did that turn out?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:In last year's tourney it seemed like Micah Miller had the speed to just blow by people. I haven't seen that this year. Any Rapids fans that have watched all year have any insight on this? Has the speed been there during the season? He hasn't stood out as much as the other two in my opinion.
He definitely still has wheels. There weren't many opportunities when he had the puck to turn it on. Hopefully we see his patented blow by the defenseman and power turn across the goalie for an easy tap in. 8)
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

RoseauHockeyFan

Great finale!

Post by RoseauHockeyFan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:23 pm

It's been a great tournament so far. I'm happy to see these two teams in the championship. I'll be cheering for the Spuds, but it would be ok if Grand Rapids wins as well. My prediction is:

Moorhead 3
Rapids 2

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Ok, I must be old and out of touch, what is the glove off fist tapping the helmet thing supposed to mean? Reminds me of a WW2 GI tapping the magazine against the helmet before putting the clip in the rifle. Is it a sniper thing?

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Ouch, this could get pretty ugly. The Spuds look way outclassed in this one.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Rapids is playing to their full potential. Even from a hounds guy, it's great to see.

Especially since they are an "A" team who decided to play in the varsity league. 8) :lol:

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Way to make it interesting going into the 3rd, Spuds! I hope they can manage a quick one right after the break.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Fun game to watch. Moorhead had issues staying out of the penalty box early, then Grand Rapids had the same issue, which kept the game close. Rapids was able to get production out of the first line (8 points) and that was the difference. I'm glad the disallowed Moorhead goal on the quick whistle didn't come into play. That goal should have counted. Stejskal never had the puck covered. If there is one complaint in an otherwise well officiated tournament overall, was the number of quick whistles while the puck was loose in the crease in these games.