Coaching Changes - 2017-18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

507Ole

Post by 507Ole »

When Don Lucia was asked what his dream job would be it was not the Olympics or NHL. He said it would be to coach a team from an orphanage so he would not have to deal with parents!
paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 »

Add Albert Lea to the list as Roy Nystrom retires after a 5 decade coaching career.

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2017/03 ... -2-states/
BP

Post by BP »

Albert Lea added......
Jim9000

Post by Jim9000 »

Saw this on the Twitter, another Section 1A coach

Jason Feldman @PBFeldy
Long-time @LaCrescentPuck coach JP Piche (@JeepPiche30) stepping down after 25 years with the Lancers program. He'll be missed

Great coach. Even better person. Cares about his players and the integrity of the game
BP

Post by BP »

Holy Angels added to the list......
BP

Post by BP »

LaCrescent added to the list.....
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Holy Angels- does anyone see Cephis or Hillen taking the reigns or is there other names that may come about?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Jim9000 wrote:Saw this on the Twitter, another Section 1A coach

Jason Feldman @PBFeldy
Long-time @LaCrescentPuck coach JP Piche (@JeepPiche30) stepping down after 25 years with the Lancers program. He'll be missed

Great coach. Even better person. Cares about his players and the integrity of the game
Also coached a kid who made it to the NHL......losing Nystrom and Piche in one off season :cry: two of the nicest guys you will ever meet in coaching. He is/was the soccer coach too I believe.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Sad to see Nystrom go. He ends with 705 wins, which is second-most all time to Lorne Grosso...that's 89 ahead of Willard Ikola, who is third, and 107 ahead of the next-winningest currently active coach, who is fourth. What a remarkable career, particularly in a place where he has not been blessed with heaps of front-end talent all that often.
BP

Post by BP »

ndirishfighting wrote:Holy Angels- does anyone see Cephis or Hillen taking the reigns or is there other names that may come about?

No - I heard entire staff is done and have opened up the search outside of current staff.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

BP wrote:
ndirishfighting wrote:Holy Angels- does anyone see Cephis or Hillen taking the reigns or is there other names that may come about?

No - I heard entire staff is done and have opened up the search outside of current staff.
This program has fallen very far in the last decade. I'm certainly not blaming it on the coaches, in fact I know nothing about any of the coaches since Trebil. I'm partial to the tradition of hockey in Richfield, whether it be the Spartans or Stars, so I'm hopeful the next coaching staff will be able to bring the program back to relevance.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

Is this cause a lack of kids or people not wanting to play at or for holy angels?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

BP wrote:

Expect drop to A to come next.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

BP wrote:

I have not heard anything yet, but as soon as I do I will let the board know.

I should take it.....
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

To get off topic... the perfect storm helped HA. Good coach Trebil. Was able to get Bloomington kids in the early days STA and benilde were Class A so they weren't Winning the recruiting battles for the Edina etc kids. Benilde going AA STA going AA has been their downfall in my opinion. GB
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

I would have to add that Holy Family was also instrumental in taking students from AHA. HF is a newer school in the western suburbs with a nice facility. AHA is an older school, that I am proud to be a part of, but it is much easier to travel 10 miles from Shakopee and other western suburbs that it would be to travel into Richfield. But until today I figured the slump would bursting. A new coach means a slide, but hopefully not far.

GO STARS
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Zam good point. I'm with u and hope HA can regroup! Go Stars! GB
612puck

Post by 612puck »

Not dropping to A - staying AA. They'll bounce back.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HA should be much improved next year with most of their team coming back..

Saw Macciocchi play a few days ago and he'll be big for them next year. Quick.

I'll give a wild and crazy 3 or 4 seed prediction.. Unless others are leaving besides seniors.
Dangler82

Holy Angels

Post by Dangler82 »

[quote="BP"][quote="ndirishfighting"]Holy Angels- does anyone see Cephis or Hillen taking the reigns or is there other names that may come about?[/quote]

No - I heard entire staff is done and have opened up the search outside of current staff.[/quote]

Pure speculation, does H.A. take a run at hiring Bernie? They have gone the non-traditional route before with Trebil and it worked for them.

No idea if this is something he would be interested in, but it would be a bold hire.
BP

Re: Holy Angels

Post by BP »

Dangler82 wrote:
BP wrote:

Pure speculation, does H.A. take a run at hiring Bernie? They have gone the non-traditional route before with Trebil and it worked for them.

No idea if this is something he would be interested in, but it would be a bold hire.
Interesting take, but Trent was a Bernie guy, so maybe some hard feelings there. Who knows though.
blueblood

AHA

Post by blueblood »

3 or 4 seed next year? Really?

Not with Edina, Wayzata, Cretin, BSM, SLP, and now Blake projected to join 6AA next year.
MrBoDangles

Re: AHA

Post by MrBoDangles »

blueblood wrote:3 or 4 seed next year? Really?

Not with Edina, Wayzata, Cretin, BSM, SLP, and now Blake projected to join 6AA next year.
They only lose a couple and will be *Loaded with upper classmen. Their top tender is also returning.

They played Cretin to a 5-6 section game and I could see them in the mix with CDH and BSM next year... And any of the top teams are beatable at times as we've seen..

Good luck HA!
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

I believe that the school wants to move to A. All the talks I had during the season with people that have the insight want to move to A. By school size they should be in A, but I am one of those people that feel all privates should be in AA. But there is also a no compete clause in my book. They should drop down for a couple of years and allow other schools (Blake) take their spot in the section. I do know that there are a couple of freshman that played their bantam programs staying in school at AHA and playing next year. Also some freshman coming from Mpls also.
As far as coaching they have a teacher at AHA who is a coach at another school in the metro, but he has been pasted on twice already. He would be a good fit, already knows the players and has a similar schedule, WHich the players need to get back to.
612puck

Post by 612puck »

HA is NOT moving to A - it is staying AA. It was decision made with input from many constituencies. Players and families have already been told. They will be fine - strong returning players and others rising from bantams or enrolling as 9th graders. New staff will have HA competing well next year.