Early Departures 17-18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stromboli

Post by stromboli »

While I wasn't surprised that Portland signed a MN kid -- Moose Jaw? Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a team that team that is generally known for taking US skaters outside of an occasional kid or two from the west coast.

Is the WHL starting to make a few inroads. Is this just a coincidence / an aberration?

EO, pretty sure Hanus wouldn't be a Sr. 2001 birthdate.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Chris Dilks‏ @ChrisDilks 4h4 hours ago

Bemidji HS '99 D Chase Hartje has signed with Moose Jaw of the WHL. Great skater, '18 NHL Draft prospect.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I guess Hartje was already posted by XO on p. 1

Hanus would have been a sophomore next year. He will be sorely missed by the Skips.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:Some of these are actually funny...putting kids on here like Randklev and Frisch isn't even remotely possible.

From what I know, the only realistic departures at this point: Stejskal (even my GR people are saying he's gone) and Hartje (by all accounts is gone).

Next 5 with highest probability:

Tabor - played a regular shift with WAT last Fall, he's got a spot locked up.

McCabe - 5 years of HS hockey is a lot.

Walker - Edina guys are never picked as Mr. Hockey.

Grant Anderson - seems the most ready for a regular shift in USHL besides Tabor.

Perbix - if Green Bay drafts Nick...he gone - the Gambler scouts watched a lot of ER games this year.
He Gone listed but not your mention GB
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

The Exiled One wrote:I think Nick will be gone before Green Bay picks. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes #1 overall in Phase II of the draft.
I was close. He went 4th overall.
redtundra

Tournament past weekend

Post by redtundra »

There was a tournament this past weekend at Highland that had the Magicians and Blades from MN and then teams from IA, Omaha, Canada, etc... The Blades team looked pretty good - I saw a game at least where they looked pretty good. Curious if anyone else saw it? I was very impressed with Hanus. For a 9th grader he has great poise. Too bad he is leaving for Portland - would have been great to watch the next couple years for Tonka. Couple other very nice players for Blades.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Tundra

Didn't see tourney

Happy that Hanus is back in form following injury / condition correction after STA game early last season

He had huge Bantam success, and Skips HS will sorely miss him

Perhaps enough for some pundits to knock them out of top 5

Section 2 might be wide open , especially depending on possible HF and EP early departs also?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

XO, are we on track to possibly have the lowest modern era count of early departs?

Thoughts on reasons?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

WestMetro wrote:XO, are we on track to possibly have the lowest modern era count of early departs?

Thoughts on reasons?
It's too early to say. Some will do "B&A" with USHL, but may be talked into staying for the season.
Oldcoach63

Post by Oldcoach63 »

Jake Hale to Dubuque of USHL.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

stromboli wrote:While I wasn't surprised that Portland signed a MN kid -- Moose Jaw? Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a team that team that is generally known for taking US skaters outside of an occasional kid or two from the west coast.

Is the WHL starting to make a few inroads. Is this just a coincidence / an aberration?

EO, pretty sure Hanus wouldn't be a Sr. 2001 birthdate.

Hi Strombo, if more people watched WHL games and knew more about the education package there would be less fear of playing up there. My #2 kid leaves this month for camp and he can't wait to get back at it. Games are cheap to watch, 7 bucks Canadian (usd). Big difference between WHL and USHL. He's played in both.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Heard Hibbing's best player Lee is leaving for juniors. This really hurts the Bluejackets. Probably will have a real challenge to be a top four seed.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Hi Strombo, if more people watched WHL games and knew more about the education package there would be less fear of playing up there.
Your kid is going to be a high school senior, correct? Thankfully, he'll be able to earn four years of scholarship before he ages out of the WHL. After he ages out, he'll still have two years of college to finish. At that time, he'll have to decide whether to finish college or pursue a career playing hockey. Not that bad of a problem, I admit.

However, the nice thing about staying on the NCAA path is that you never have to make that decision. You can get a degree AND pursue a career playing hockey. I think that's why most kids go this route. To each his own.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

The Exiled One wrote:
imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Hi Strombo, if more people watched WHL games and knew more about the education package there would be less fear of playing up there.
Your kid is going to be a high school senior, correct? Thankfully, he'll be able to earn four years of scholarship before he ages out of the WHL. After he ages out, he'll still have two years of college to finish. At that time, he'll have to decide whether to finish college or pursue a career playing hockey. Not that bad of a problem, I admit.

However, the nice thing about staying on the NCAA path is that you never have to make that decision. You can get a degree AND pursue a career playing hockey. I think that's why most kids go this route. To each his own.

He actually just finished his HS this summer and got the diploma. Thank the Lord!! He received two years of college money the first year he played and if he plays 2 more years then all 4 years of post high school will be paid for. Another nice benefit is the team pays for any college classes the boys enroll in during the season. In fact this year the GM says it's mandatory for the HS grads to take some type of class. I agree with you, every kids path is his own. I do not push one over the other, but the Western League is a great fit for my kid.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Oldcoach63 wrote:Jake Hale to Dubuque of USHL.
Is he just playing until high school season starts or is he playing there all year?
Stang5280

Re: Early Departures 17-18

Post by Stang5280 »

The Exiled One wrote:

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player            HS Team              New Team               College
Sr    F   Sasha Shogren     Blake                Deerfield Academy
Sr    G   Andy Beran        St. Paul Academy     St. Paul's School, NH
FWIW, these two will be reclassifying as 2019 grads (i.e. repeating junior year) at their respective new schools. This is common among New England prep school athletes, particularly in hockey and lacrosse, although it is more frequently done as a freshman or sophomore.
BP

Post by BP »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Oldcoach63 wrote:Jake Hale to Dubuque of USHL.
Is he just playing until high school season starts or is he playing there all year?
He's FT in Dubuque. No before and after.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Gavin Enright (Senior Goalie) from Farmington to the NAHL.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The Dub is a better league than the USHL but inferior to NCAA div 1 if for no other reason than the age of the players. My only concern on the education package is that after a kid ages out if he signs a pro contract the educational package basically disappears. Tough to ask a 21 year old to quit playing hockey! Agree that the choice to go or stay is different for every kid but as a parent the USHL/NCAA route is more reassuring for life after puck.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Are Marooney and McGregor confirmed as early departs?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

W-Metro: Pretty sure Marooney is gone. Also happy to hear all three
Wayzata boys are staying for their senior year. GB
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good news!

( Except for the Hornets , who will be thinking Section curse all season long)
BP

Post by BP »

HF get a goalie in?