7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Immigrant Fan AD[/quote]

Not quite sure I understand your problem Northwoods Oldtimer. I'm definitely a GR homer - it is my hometown now, I think it is a great place to live, and I support the local teams. No apologies for that. I disagree with teen substance abuse, including alcohol. Unless you object to either of those positions, I'm not sure what is your issue.

Per your comment on a different thread, I can't imagine why anyone would suggest firing the GR Activities Director. All-in-all I think she's had a pretty good year overseeing the school programs: state tournament appearances in volleyball, boys basketball, girls basketball, and state championships in marching band... oh yeah, and boys hockey.

Lacking further elaboration, I suggest you lay-off the rice pudding and tapioca, eat some prunes, and drink more water. That should brighten your mood, or at least lighten your load.

I'm here to share interest in high school hockey, learn from many people who know much more about hockey than myself, and contribute where I can. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day and certainly won't let anyone ruin my day. This is for fun. Have a happy day and stay positive.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:16 am

Immigrant Fan wrote:Immigrant Fan AD
Not quite sure I understand your problem Northwoods Oldtimer. I'm definitely a GR homer - it is my hometown now, I think it is a great place to live, and I support the local teams. No apologies for that. I disagree with teen substance abuse, including alcohol. Unless you object to either of those positions, I'm not sure what is your issue.

Per your comment on a different thread, I can't imagine why anyone would suggest firing the GR Activities Director. All-in-all I think she's had a pretty good year overseeing the school programs: state tournament appearances in volleyball, boys basketball, girls basketball, and state championships in marching band... oh yeah, and boys hockey.

Lacking further elaboration, I suggest you lay-off the rice pudding and tapioca, eat some prunes, and drink more water. That should brighten your mood, or at least lighten your load.

I'm here to share interest in high school hockey, learn from many people who know much more about hockey than myself, and contribute where I can. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's day and certainly won't let anyone ruin my day. This is for fun. Have a happy day and stay positive.[/quote]

hahaha .....guilty as charged. as bugs bunny say: "what a maroon"

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:49 am

Duluth Marshall has looked the best early, early on in 7AA. Today’s game results should shed some more light early in the season.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:37 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:That was quite a hockey game. Looked like a couple of heavy weights going at it. Pretty impressive start to the season for the Bears. Down 3-0 to a team like that is tough to battle back from. East goalie really looked sharp in OT. That will be a factor later on this winter. Good stuff.
Gotta say I was shocked at what I saw last night. Started watching on the Horn at the first intermission. DE up 3 - 0 and I'm assuming this is going to be running time. All I've heard during the offseason was how good DE was and all these "elite" players they had. What was it, 7 that played this summer from Duluth? From my perspective, the Bears where the better team and got stronger as the game went on. They absolutely dominated the OT and had at least 4 grade A chances to win this one. The DE goalie was making save after save. Not sure if Duluth even had 1 good opportunity in the 2 1/2 periods that I watched.

Now the bad news. Given the two coaches that these teams have, DE will do nothing but get better from here on out, while WBL will stay stagnant and watch HM or SW knock them out in the sections.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 am

BodyShots wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:That was quite a hockey game. Looked like a couple of heavy weights going at it. Pretty impressive start to the season for the Bears. Down 3-0 to a team like that is tough to battle back from. East goalie really looked sharp in OT. That will be a factor later on this winter. Good stuff.
Gotta say I was shocked at what I saw last night. Started watching on the Horn at the first intermission. DE up 3 - 0 and I'm assuming this is going to be running time. All I've heard during the offseason was how good DE was and all these "elite" players they had. What was it, 7 that played this summer from Duluth? From my perspective, the Bears where the better team and got stronger as the game went on. They absolutely dominated the OT and had at least 4 grade A chances to win this one. The DE goalie was making save after save. Not sure if Duluth even had 1 good opportunity in the 2 1/2 periods that I watched.

Now the bad news. Given the two coaches that these teams have, DE will do nothing but get better from here on out, while WBL will stay stagnant and watch HM or SW knock them out in the sections.
Same exact situation for me. DE was up 3-0 when I started watching. I almost skipped it because I figured I could follow a better game. East is a very good team. They have most of last years team back and they were good last season. It will be interesting to see how the Bears do the rest of the way because they have looked good against some nice teams already. DE doesn't give up 3 goal leads very often.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:

Same exact situation for me. DE was up 3-0 when I started watching. I almost skipped it because I figured I could follow a better game. East is a very good team. They have most of last years team back and they were good last season. It will be interesting to see how the Bears do the rest of the way because they have looked good against some nice teams already. DE doesn't give up 3 goal leads very often.
After the 1st period it was all WBL. East looked like a team playing its 1st game of the year. Their power play was weak, they had very little presence in the offensive zone with almost no quality shots from the slot after the 1st. They failed badly on two breakaways, with Mageau and LaMaster putting up lame efforts. And while WBL picked up their game significantly in the 2nd and 3rd, East looked slow and disorganized. Credit the Bears with a great team effort, and some sweet individual games from Gallatin, Jennrich and Hamstad. That's a nice team!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes the Bears were impressive in both games, it will be interesting to see how far they improve in the polls

Like Zack and Danny said during the broadcast, Gallatin played way better than he did against cloquet . The kid looked like an upperclassman last night

Duluth backup goalie played great during overtime, and showed me he can withstand pressure against good opponent, which is something I wasn’t sure of about the hounds this year

Was Hard to tell on the live stream whether Mageau was 100% or not?
Last edited by WestMetro on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Well, for one period, East looked like they were worthy of all the hype. Credit to the Bears for flipping the switch during that first intermission. Their top line owned most of the rest of the game, while East's lost any measure of chemistry and ultimately wound up with zero points. The Hounds' inability to adjust was a bit disappointing, but hey, it's early December. As others have mentioned, Gallatin had a great night, too.

We'll see how East responds against Wayzata today. A little surprised to see Kleive get the start, but he did well under that late Bear barrage. Hanson will go today.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Did East and WBL end up tying or the bears win?

Not clear in any previous posts.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

TheMNhockey1

Post by TheMNhockey1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:25 pm

north_bear wrote:Did East and WBL end up tying or the bears win?

Ednded in a tie 3-3

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:41 pm

TheMNhockey1 wrote:
north_bear wrote:Did East and WBL end up tying or the bears win?

Ednded in a tie 3-3
Thank you
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:09 pm

boblee wrote:Grand Rapids is primed for one of its ugliest years in the past couple decades. Three stars have moved on to junior hockey. The head coach left. Last year's bantams weren't great. Last year's JV wasn't great. Rumor has it six players were recently caught drinking and have suspensions to serve.

Could get mighty ugly. Will the pride of the title help everyone through it?
I thought Boblee was being a little dramatic. Now, after 2 games, I believe he may have underestimated how the season may go.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Huge save by WBL tender on breakaway end of first, would have made it 4-0. WB came out about two to three mins after east to start 2nd period. [looking hungry and taking the body]. # 3 was the difference maker, played entire ot, and most of the third. Best D on the ice. He is the most polished 9th grade D I have seen. including espe, housley,brinkman, martin, ballard. Dad and uncle both played at WB. interested to see how long he stays with little cousin comingright behind him.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:37 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
boblee wrote:Grand Rapids is primed for one of its ugliest years in the past couple decades. Three stars have moved on to junior hockey. The head coach left. Last year's bantams weren't great. Last year's JV wasn't great. Rumor has it six players were recently caught drinking and have suspensions to serve.

I thought Boblee was being a little dramatic. Now, after 2 games, I believe he may have underestimated how the season may go.
If GR is cruddy for a few years its not the end of the world. Just remember, no matter what happens. The 2017 STATE CHAMPIONS will always be the GR Thunderhawks and until March they will be the defending state champs. The fans, players, and community will not soon forget that. It's all about perspective.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 am

Well said North Bear!!

I still find myself smiling every so often at the thought of that fantastic 7AA finish and their wins at the X. I got the feeling this is going to continue for a long long time!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:43 am

north_bear wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:

If GR is cruddy for a few years its not the end of the world. Just remember, no matter what happens. The 2017 STATE CHAMPIONS will always be the GR Thunderhawks and until March they will be the defending state champs. The fans, players, and community will not soon forget that. It's all about perspective.
That is a good point North Bear.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 am

With their tough schedule at least they will have a clear understanding of where they are as the season progresses. Though to be outshot 63-4 at home by a Benilde team that their coach readily admitted on KOZY is in "rebuilding mode", wow. I would be very surprised if that isn't an all time low in GRHS hockey history for total shots in a game and shot margin.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:

Shepard ate up about 65-68 SOG against Edina in the classic four years ago... Holum could easily see
75+ against the Hornets in a few weeks. Silver lining? his guys stay out of the way so he can see the pucks.

Gonna be a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggg season. Oh well, it's teaching them some life lessons, and I'll keep watching.
It is what it is!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Gonna be a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggg season. Oh well, it's teaching them some life lessons, and I'll keep watching.

I hear ya Bigcat. I'm going to learn a few myself.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Gonna be a looooonnnnnnnnnggggggg season. Oh well, it's teaching them some life lessons, and I'll keep watching.

I hear ya Bigcat. I'm going to learn a few myself.
Duluth Marshall and Andover getting a lot of love boys. Looks like 7AA is going to be crazy this year. Is Grand Rapids a better team this year than C/I, St. Francis, and Forest Lake ? It will be up to Holum. I’m sure he’s ready for the challenge. They could use Esse’s expertise this year winning with less talent...

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Really looking forward to the first QRF calculation, St. Francis might get out to and early lead with Marshall a close second. Hopefully there are enough AA hockey schools in the Mississippi 8 they can get wins against to be able to host East in the first round at the East Bethel meat locker.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm

WBL wore down Forest Lake. 4 - 1

boblee

Post by boblee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm

One of the players for Grand Rapids came at me on Twitter a few weeks before the season and said they are going to defend their title. Seems more likely that I'll die laughing.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 pm

boblee wrote:One of the players for Grand Rapids came at me on Twitter a few weeks before the season and said they are going to defend their title. Seems more likely that I'll die laughing.
It's a shame. Several years ago the Grand Rapids Player Development Committee was approached regarding the development of the young players - the junior class specifically. They said their choices were solid & there were no worries about the development of the youth - thanks for the concern but we know what we're doing. Yep- it shows. So through 3 gmes they appear solid
Character is who you are when no one is watching

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:47 pm

I was pretty concerned after the BSM game but after a little thought, I will give them a little slack. Let's see where they are later this winter.