7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
Immigrant Fan
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am
Location: G.R.

Post by Immigrant Fan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Happy that GR got their first win tonight, against Roseau in overtime. I'm sure that will take some pressure off.

Things would probably not seem so sparse for talent if McLaughlin, Hain, and Stejskal were still around - taking nothing away from Holum.

Hopefully, this will help build some confidence going forward.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Immigrant Fan wrote:Happy that GR got their first win tonight, against Roseau in overtime. I'm sure that will take some pressure off.

Things would probably not seem so sparse for talent if McLaughlin, Hain, and Stejskal were still around - taking nothing away from Holum.

Hopefully, this will help build some confidence going forward.
Huge win. Probably more for the fans than the players.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:00 pm

I am really curious to see how the Andover at Duluth East game turns out in Duluth today.

elliott70
Posts: 13668
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:57 pm

kniven wrote:I am really curious to see how the Andover at Duluth East game turns out in Duluth today.
East by 4

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Really? Wow! I guess we will see. I'm hoping to get down there for at least a period.

Immigrant Fan
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am
Location: G.R.

Post by Immigrant Fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Grind, You are probably right, but I don't have any internal contacts with the team. The fans will certainly be relieved with the win.

One thing where I suspect you are on-target since before the season started is that this will be a different team in February then it is now. It will be fun to see how they gel and settle once they figure out who is and isn't here, and who will be The Guys to step-up.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

GR3343
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 pm

Post by GR3343 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:28 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Happy that GR got their first win tonight, against Roseau in overtime. I'm sure that will take some pressure off.

Things would probably not seem so sparse for talent if McLaughlin, Hain, and Stejskal were still around - taking nothing away from Holum.

Hopefully, this will help build some confidence going forward.
Huge win. Probably more for the fans than the players.
Beat two low level teams because of Holum. Out shot badly by both. Edina Classic will test them bigtime. Gabe will see 60 sog per game. Their goal should be to keep every game out of running time. If they do - it will only be because of Gabe
Character is who you are when no one is watching

karl(east)
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm

East beat Andover with a 9-3 fireworks display...the Hounds' offense really got rolling in this one. Andover was pesky for a while and I think is a little better than this scoreline showed, but once the floodgates opened, East was impressive.

Tonka over Marshall 5-3...was 3-0 Tonka early, then Marshall clawed its way back to tie it before the Skippers won late. All in all, not a bad showing for the Hilltoppers.

Centennial over Elk River 6-3...convincing showing by the Cougars.

GR with a couple of Holum-heavy wins...we'll see if that can be the start of something.

FL's early scores appear respectable; Cloquet is blasting their weaker opponents but hasn't done much against the two better teams they've played.

Tentative rankings right now:

1. DE
2. DM
3. ER
4. CEC
5. Andover
6. FL
7. GR

Still lots of moving parts here. East plays Cloquet and Marshall in the next two weeks, so that should help some.

alcloseshaver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Met Center Press Box

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:53 pm

As we wait with bated breath for the first QRF calculation. I like it just for the fact that it takes a piece of control from the coaches. Coaches coach, players play and computers rank. And of course parents just sit back and enjoy the games...

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 pm

karl(east) wrote:East beat Andover with a 9-3 fireworks display...the Hounds' offense really got rolling in this one. Andover was pesky for a while and I think is a little better than this scoreline showed, but once the floodgates opened, East was impressive.

Tonka over Marshall 5-3...was 3-0 Tonka early, then Marshall clawed its way back to tie it before the Skippers won late. All in all, not a bad showing for the Hilltoppers.

Centennial over Elk River 6-3...convincing showing by the Cougars.

GR with a couple of Holum-heavy wins...we'll see if that can be the start of something.

FL's early scores appear respectable; Cloquet is blasting their weaker opponents but hasn't done much against the two better teams they've played.

Tentative rankings right now:

1. DE
2. DM
3. ER
4. CEC
5. Andover
6. FL
7. GR

Still lots of moving parts here. East plays Cloquet and Marshall in the next two weeks, so that should help some.
Agree with you KarlEast. CEC hasn’t beat anybody yet with a real heartbeat.

mnmouth
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 pm

karl(east) wrote:East beat Andover with a 9-3 fireworks display...the Hounds' offense really got rolling in this one. Andover was pesky for a while and I think is a little better than this scoreline showed, but once the floodgates opened, East was impressive.
Andover was better than the final score indicated. They controlled play for 2/3 of the 1st period, and had a number of good chances throughout the 2nd and 3rd. Hanson looked quick and solid, except on Andover's funky 3rd goal.

East's top line was fast and lethal, but other Hounds stepped it up. Ricky Lyle was a bull, at one time taking out 3 Huskies in succession while on the penalty kill. And who's this Jonathon Jones kid? Is he 7 ft. tall in skates??

Also, it appears Randolph is doing a lot of early season experimenting with line combinations and his forecheck. Donavon, then later, Mageau, were off the top line, each for a shift. They were a little disorganized at times in their own end, and a team with better finishers might have put 2 or 3 more past Hanson. But they can score quickly in a number of ways.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:16 am

Immigrant Fan wrote:Grind, You are probably right, but I don't have any internal contacts with the team. The fans will certainly be relieved with the win.

One thing where I suspect you are on-target since before the season started is that this will be a different team in February then it is now. It will be fun to see how they gel and settle once they figure out who is and isn't here, and who will be The Guys to step-up.
These kids have grown up playing with some of the best players this country has produced in recent times. Like you said, there is going to be a period of time that passes while they find someone who can be the go to guy. If you pull a couple of players, with the talent of the those who left early from any team, it would have a huge impact on them.

It is good to see them making that adjustment.

elliott70
Posts: 13668
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:24 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Grind, You are probably right, but I don't have any internal contacts with the team. The fans will certainly be relieved with the win.

One thing where I suspect you are on-target since before the season started is that this will be a different team in February then it is now. It will be fun to see how they gel and settle once they figure out who is and isn't here, and who will be The Guys to step-up.
These kids have grown up playing with some of the best players this country has produced in recent times. Like you said, there is going to be a period of time that passes while they find someone who can be the go to guy. If you pull a couple of players, with the talent of the those who left early from any team, it would have a huge impact on them.

It is good to see them making that adjustment.
I would not count GRIndians out of a top 4 seed.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 am

GR3343 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Happy that GR got their first win tonight, against Roseau in overtime. I'm sure that will take some pressure off.

Things would probably not seem so sparse for talent if McLaughlin, Hain, and Stejskal were still around - taking nothing away from Holum.

Hopefully, this will help build some confidence going forward.
Huge win. Probably more for the fans than the players.
Beat two low level teams because of Holum. Out shot badly by both. Edina Classic will test them bigtime. Gabe will see 60 sog per game. Their goal should be to keep every game out of running time. If they do - it will only be because of Gabe
No question that Holum is going to carry a heavy workload this year. He has been fun to watch the last two seasons.

While I do agree that Roseau and Warroad are more average than some of the powerhouse teams they have churned out, GR did find a way to get 2 wins up there. After the Benilde game I didn't believe that was even possible. They are going to take a few lumps with their schedule. I do think that whoever ends up with 2 or 3 seed in 7AA is going to have a tough quarterfinal game though.

alcloseshaver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Met Center Press Box

Post by alcloseshaver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:48 am

Rapids will be 5 or 6 seed at best, games w Flake and Andover will be important. They have 6 single A schools on the schedule which doesn't help their case with the QRF.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Post by kniven » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:06 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Rapids will be 5 or 6 seed at best, games w Flake and Andover will be important. They have 6 single A schools on the schedule which doesn't help their case with the QRF.
What about a 3 or 4 seed?

mulefarm
Posts: 1675
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Grind, I know you love the Indians, but to say they have produced some of the best players in the country in recent times might be an exaggeration!

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm

mulefarm wrote:Grind, I know you love the Indians, but to say they have produced some of the best players in the country in recent times might be an exaggeration!
It looks like the type of year that will need a little sunshine sprinkled in once in awhile. :)

alcloseshaver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Met Center Press Box

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:12 am

elliott70 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Immigrant Fan wrote:Grind, You are probably right, but I don't have any internal contacts with the team. The fans will certainly be relieved with the win.

One thing where I suspect you are on-target since before the season started is that this will be a different team in February then it is now. It will be fun to see how they gel and settle once they figure out who is and isn't here, and who will be The Guys to step-up.
These kids have grown up playing with some of the best players this country has produced in recent times. Like you said, there is going to be a period of time that passes while they find someone who can be the go to guy. If you pull a couple of players, with the talent of the those who left early from any team, it would have a huge impact on them.

It is good to see them making that adjustment.
I would not count GRIndians out of a top 4 seed.
:shock: First QRF calculation on Monday.

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:56 pm

For the balance of the season, how many times will ER score 7 goals and lose?

karl(east)
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm

The first QRF ranking (which will, as a reminder, decide the section seedings):

1. Duluth East
2. Andover
3. Duluth Marshall
4. Elk River
5. Cloquet
6. St. Francis
7. Forest Lake
8. Grand Rapids
9. Cambridge

Presumably Andover will come back to earth some from their current #7 in the state ranking when they play a few more difficult games...otherwise, I can't see Smalley or Gustafson being too pleased with that 4/5 game. And if Rapids doesn't pick it up and St. Francis gets enough wins against a much weaker schedule, a section final rematch in the quarterfinals isn't out of the question.

alcloseshaver
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Met Center Press Box

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Only complaints accepted will be from the 2 schools that voted against it. We're the 2 schools East and Cloquet Karl?

karl(east)
Posts: 6250
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:Only complaints accepted will be from the 2 schools that voted against it. We're the 2 schools East and Cloquet Karl?
East and Marshall. The old regime in Cloquet was out by the time they voted.

greenwayraider
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 pm

The QRF is the easy way out for coaches. They don’t have to make the hard choices come seeding time.

SpOilerfan
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Post by SpOilerfan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm

karl(east) wrote:The first QRF ranking (which will, as a reminder, decide the section seedings):

1. Duluth East
2. Andover
3. Duluth Marshall
4. Elk River
5. Cloquet
6. St. Francis
7. Forest Lake
8. Grand Rapids
9. Cambridge

Presumably Andover will come back to earth some from their current #7 in the state ranking when they play a few more difficult games...otherwise, I can't see Smalley or Gustafson being too pleased with that 4/5 game. And if Rapids doesn't pick it up and St. Francis gets enough wins against a much weaker schedule, a section final rematch in the quarterfinals isn't out of the question.

haha good one. section 7AA is not using computer rankings, coaches vote as always

Post Reply