7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Elks will need to win some games this week to keep ahead of Franny in the QRF rankings. Minnesota-Scores didn't take a holiday and did the calculation on Monday as scheduled.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:20 am

Forest Lake beats Andover 2 - 1, Head for Rapids Friday. Rangers Brady Peterson is the best goalie in 7AA.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 am

I see that the Forest Lake netminder is having a nice season. No doubt about it. I will have to add, though, that the GR goalies are playing well also. And after watching them a few times I can say that they are definitely facing their share of quality scoring chances.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm

grand, I see having Brunson back from his secret government mission is paying immediate dividends.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:grand, I see having Brunson back from his secret government mission is paying immediate dividends.
Inspired win tonight for the Thunderhawks 5-3
Elks all over Stilly 4-1 win
Toppers drop a tough one to "Sandbagtown"

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:grand, I see having Brunson back from his secret government mission is paying immediate dividends.
Inspired win tonight for the Thunderhawks 5-3
Elks all over Stilly 4-1 win
Toppers drop a tough one to "Sandbagtown"
Let's drop East from the section and really have some fun.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 pm

careful there alcloseshaver :wink:
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:59 pm

careful alco :wink:
Elks put 59 SOG tonight, Offense not an issue.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
February 3rd will be interesting game!

Trout

Post by Trout » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 am

[quote="alcloseshaver"][quote="northwoods oldtimer"][quote]Let's drop East from the section and really have some fun.[/quote]

careful alco :wink:[/quote]Elks put 59 SOG tonight, Offense not an issue.[/quote]

No doubt ... Elks were definitely better than Stillwater tonight and their strategy to hit everything that moved was a good one against the "little ponies". Credit should go to them for a nice win.

With that said I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the 58 shots. The majority were from the point and not difficult saves. The running around hitting everything will work against a small freshman/sophomore-laden inexperienced team like Stillwater. Play anyone with experience and the elks will be giving up 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's all game.

Note...One of the goals was a terrible bounce off the back boards right into the slot and one was an empty-netter. Without that bounce, this is a nailbiter. The good net front got them their other 2 when the ponies took multiple penalties in a row.

Play like that against East, Cloquet, Marshall or even Andover and the results would likely be different.

Also note, if they play the hit everything that moves game (I think everyone in the stands heard "take the body!" from the coaching staff 300 times!) the elks captains should expect to get hit back and not get bent out of shape when the other team pushes back. Their lack of composure was evident and could have cost them in the end.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 am

Trout wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
No doubt ... Elks were definitely better than Stillwater tonight and their strategy to hit everything that moved was a good one against the "little ponies". Credit should go to them for a nice win.

With that said I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the 58 shots. The majority were from the point and not difficult saves. The running around hitting everything will work against a small freshman/sophomore-laden inexperienced team like Stillwater. Play anyone with experience and the elks will be giving up 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's all game.

Note...One of the goals was a terrible bounce off the back boards right into the slot and one was an empty-netter. Without that bounce, this is a nailbiter. The good net front got them their other 2 when the ponies took multiple penalties in a row.

Play like that against East, Cloquet, Marshall or even Andover and the results would likely be different.

Also note, if they play the hit everything that moves game (I think everyone in the stands heard "take the body!" from the coaching staff 300 times!) the elks captains should expect to get hit back and not get bent out of shape when the other team pushes back. Their lack of composure was evident and could have cost them in the end.
They have Been giving up the odd man rushes against the good teams, the SOG was tongue in cheek looking for a little silver lining. Sarcasm hard to decipher on the forum. Elks are exactly who we thought they would be.

Trout

Post by Trout » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 am

[quote="alcloseshaver"][quote="Trout"][quote="alcloseshaver"][quote="northwoods oldtimer"][quote]Let's drop East from the section and really have some fun.[/quote]

careful alco :wink:[/quote]Elks put 59 SOG tonight, Offense not an issue.[/quote]

Also note, if they play the hit everything that moves game (I think everyone in the stands heard "take the body!" from the coaching staff 300 times!) the elks captains should expect to get hit back and not get bent out of shape when the other team pushes back. Their lack of composure was evident and could have cost them in the end.[/quote]They have Been giving up the odd man rushes against the good teams, the SOG was tongue in cheek looking for a little silver lining. Sarcasm hard to decipher on the forum. Elks are exactly who we thought they would be.[/quote]

I got it...and agree.

No doubt they could sting someone. My guess is East will put a hurting on both Stillwater and ER in the next month or so!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 am

ImmigrantADfan in hibernation? Thought maybe she would be on the forum talking up the big win Friday night. Conducting too many banner interviews?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:58 am

What got into Rapids last night? Was it just an effort thing and/or playing better within their systems? I hope they can keep that going and possibly make a 7AA quarterfinal game interesting.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:41 am

Holum gets red hot and leads Rapids against East in the section final this year. And then has a run at state like East had a few years back with less talent.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:21 pm

kniven wrote:Holum gets red hot and leads Rapids against East in the section final this year. And then has a run at state like East had a few years back with less talent.
I will take 2 of whatever Knivvy has in his coffee this morning.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:07 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
kniven wrote:Holum gets red hot and leads Rapids against East in the section final this year. And then has a run at state like East had a few years back with less talent.
Laughing on line! :) I just wanted to if the orange faithful believe that could happen. Marshall beat by Hermantown, Superior beat CEC, Andover beat by Flake, Orange beat Flake, and The Elk’s, well they struggle at Amsoil.

oldgoalie85

Post by oldgoalie85 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 pm

The best section in the world !!! [to me]

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
Chances are much better they don’t make the semifinal Saturday. They did make it to State in 2006 & 2007. Lost a ton of talent, but were decent in 2008...point is this years Orange team isn’t as good as the 2008 team that made the semi’s & then lost 6 donut.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:14 pm

oldgoalie85 wrote:The best section in the world !!! [to me]
Agreed

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:51 pm

East 2, Blaine 2, Final. 64 saves for Blaine's Joe Daninger. This game wasn't much fun to watch. East spent basically the entire game in possession of the puck, sometimes cycling well, sometimes cycling for the sake of cycling, and but never quite looking like the well-oiled machine we've seen at times, despite the seeming total domination. A goal was waved off with about 2 minutes left in OT; I didn't see the goalie interference, but whatever. They shouldn't have needed that anyway. The trip to Minnetonka next week will be an adventure.

Andover 6, Grand Rapids 1...reality check in that one. Andover atones for its Forest Lake loss, though all of that matters much less in the world of QRF.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:57 pm

Much less is correct Karl, the day of the "big section game" are numbered. Marshall lost to and tied a 5-3-2 class A team, should drop. Elks beat an undefeated AA team should move up ahead of Franny.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:04 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:grand, I see having Brunson back from his secret government mission is paying immediate dividends.[/quote

He definitely helps the offense out there. His speed is noticeable when he's out on the ice. It looks like they outshot the Rangers last night. I believe that would be the first game of the year they did that as a team.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Andover 6, Grand Rapids 1...reality check in that one. Andover atones for its Forest Lake loss, though all of that matters much less in the world of QRF.

Agree Karl, it looks like the season will go this way for the Rapids this year. They have been outplayed in most games by a decent margin but have been able to sneak in a win every now and then. Those wins were important given the schedule they have from here on out.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 pm

karl(east) wrote:East 2, Blaine 2, Final. 64 saves for Blaine's Joe Daninger. This game wasn't much fun to watch. East spent basically the entire game in possession of the puck, sometimes cycling well, sometimes cycling for the sake of cycling, and but never quite looking like the well-oiled machine we've seen at times, despite the seeming total domination. A goal was waved off with about 2 minutes left in OT; I didn't see the goalie interference, but whatever. They shouldn't have needed that anyway. The trip to Minnetonka next week will be an adventure.

East peppers the net a lot with easy save shots hoping for a juicy rebound. That is their game. SOG overated stat when it comes to East.