7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Return 7A semi to Hibing and Rapids and the 7a final to Hibbing. Enough with the Amsoil. Its a crappy environment for 7A hockey when nobody shows up to watch.
Totally agreed
Wrong, this is the "old-timer" and "old-fashioned" showing up. Comments like that make me think you are the type that listens to KOZY for the music. First of all Hibbing doesn't have the seating capacity anymore. Hibbing was a great venue in it's time, but it's 2018 now, move on to better things. Besides the difference in arenas, who would ever WANT to spend leisure time in Hibbing? Barf. The only change that needs to happen is to hopefully have all 4 games back on Saturday next season. There aren't many experiences in sports that rank up there with Duluth. As an example I'll give you going to a Wild game in Anaheim. Sure it is warm out and it's a very nice arena, but there is NOTHING to do in walking distance of that building. Amsoil Arena has better sight lines, better sound system, has a video board, etc, etc, etc.
7A belongs up north in the smaller barns where the fans show up to watch the teams battle it out. A semi final with Virginia at Greenway would be a packed barn in IRA Civic Center and its a nice revenue stream for the city.
When rapids hosted the semi finals it was electric in the building and a throw back to yesteryear of hockey. I do understand that you are too young to have experienced that so not much can be done about that. Amsoil is nice for a UMD game and a section AA final when it is 2 north teams going at it. Otherwise its a lame venue for HS hockey, The problem with today's amatuer sports is everything has to be the glitzy corporate dog an pony show but it ain't working.

KOZY music is some of the best music around. You prefer that so called country rap where all they sing about is shaking the money maker for the girls. Not very creative
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
northwoods oldtimer

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
green4 wrote:Every year during section time you can count on DJ to defend poor Amsoil arena.
For me, I would much rather watch big high school hockey games at Hibbing Memorial and the IRA versus Amsoil any day.
With Hibbing you have that awesome seating design of a walkway between the glass and the first row of seating. Who doesn't love having people constantly walking in front of you while watching a game?

Now don't get me wrong. IRA and Hibbing in their own right have been and are overall great venues for HS hockey. But they are not good enough for section playoffs. IRA probably has the best sight lines of any building. But again their just aren't enough seats. Amsoil Arena is the perfect venue to have all 4 games on the same day. And they should be in the same venue. I love the element of having multiple students sections bantering back and forth during the two-games-per-session like you do in St. Paul at state.
when did this happen at a 7A event? I must have missed that year. :shock:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote: Totally agreed
Wrong, this is the "old-timer" and "old-fashioned" showing up. Comments like that make me think you are the type that listens to KOZY for the music. First of all Hibbing doesn't have the seating capacity anymore. Hibbing was a great venue in it's time, but it's 2018 now, move on to better things. Besides the difference in arenas, who would ever WANT to spend leisure time in Hibbing? Barf. The only change that needs to happen is to hopefully have all 4 games back on Saturday next season. There aren't many experiences in sports that rank up there with Duluth. As an example I'll give you going to a Wild game in Anaheim. Sure it is warm out and it's a very nice arena, but there is NOTHING to do in walking distance of that building. Amsoil Arena has better sight lines, better sound system, has a video board, etc, etc, etc.
7A belongs up north in the smaller barns where the fans show up to watch the teams battle it out. A semi final with Virginia at Greenway would be a packed barn in IRA Civic Center and its a nice revenue stream for the city.
When rapids hosted the semi finals it was electric in the building and a throw back to yesteryear of hockey. I do understand that you are too young to have experienced that so not much can be done about that. Amsoil is nice for a UMD game and a section AA final when it is 2 north teams going at it. Otherwise its a lame venue for HS hockey, The problem with today's amatuer sports is everything has to be the glitzy corporate dog an pony show but it ain't working.
How old are you?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Because I completely agree.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

And DJ because you play(ed) certain music and grew up with certain music, does not mean the music is good.
northwoods oldtimer

elliott70 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Wrong, this is the "old-timer" and "old-fashioned" showing up. Comments like that make me think you are the type that listens to KOZY for the music. First of all Hibbing doesn't have the seating capacity anymore. Hibbing was a great venue in it's time, but it's 2018 now, move on to better things. Besides the difference in arenas, who would ever WANT to spend leisure time in Hibbing? Barf. The only change that needs to happen is to hopefully have all 4 games back on Saturday next season. There aren't many experiences in sports that rank up there with Duluth. As an example I'll give you going to a Wild game in Anaheim. Sure it is warm out and it's a very nice arena, but there is NOTHING to do in walking distance of that building. Amsoil Arena has better sight lines, better sound system, has a video board, etc, etc, etc.
How old are you?
58 years young and earned every one of them Elliot :D

To DJ defense, I agree that Amzoil for a AA final is very nice venue when you get 2 north teams going at it. But 7A belongs in the smaller barns. Give those i-Falls boys a shot at H-town at hodgins-berardo. Not saying they would win but it would energize the kids to play in a barn they have some experience playing in.
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:And DJ because you play(ed) certain music and grew up with certain music, does not mean the music is good.
Wrong, I got lots of compliments and really never any complaints about the music I played. It was current music with a small seasoning of classic rock. I also understood playing the right music for the right situation to get the crowd going. The Amsoil Arena DJ also understands this concept. Too many music guys out there just play the same dated list every night and in the wrong situations. I believe 7AA and 7A have long standing contracts in place with Amsoil so it is a pointless argument anyways.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: 7A belongs up north in the smaller barns where the fans show up to watch the teams battle it out. A semi final with Virginia at Greenway would be a packed barn in IRA Civic Center and its a nice revenue stream for the city.
How old are you?

To DJ defense, I agree that Amzoil for a AA final is very nice venue when you get 2 north teams going at it. But 7A belongs in the smaller barns. Give those i-Falls boys a shot at H-town at hodgins-berardo. Not saying they would win but it would energize the kids to play in a barn they have some experience playing in.
The energy is still better at Amsoil. I can still appreciate the idea of history and nostalgia of games played at the IRA and Hibbing. However, weighing everything involved, Amsoil is the better option. The small barns are enjoyed throughout the regular season many times. There is a better energy playing in a glitzy building like Amsoil Arena. Thank god the days of having to listen to "Danger Zone" and Bob Seger songs during warmups at Hibbing are over.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote: Totally agreed

KOZY music is some of the best music around. You prefer that so called country rap where all they sing about is shaking the money maker for the girls. Not very creative
Times have changed, Old Timer. I do remember the action from the 70s and early 80s at the Memorial Building, Hippodrome, Miner's Memorial, IRA, etc. Electric atmospheres to be sure.

It is working at Amsoil - and very well, particularly from a fan's standpoint. I'd much rather be in Duluth than either Rapids or Hibbing in February. Those towns both have their charms, but they ain't got nothing on Duluth. Treat it as an event that only comes up once per year. Get to the big town and have some different kind of fun for the day. Too bad all 4 games are not on the same day this year, but I plan on attending each night along with the same 5 dudes who have been attending since it moved to Amsoil. This would not happen if it were in Hibbing or Rapids.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

elliott70 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote: 7A belongs up north in the smaller barns where the fans show up to watch the teams battle it out. A semi final with Virginia at Greenway would be a packed barn in IRA Civic Center and its a nice revenue stream for the city.
How old are you?

58, old Northwoods guy but still a youngin'....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Amsoil is a great NEW rink, but skating where maybe your father or uncles played, maybe a grandfather, where Olympians played...
In a rink that has 'character', and yes character comes with age, has merit. Ask the boys up in Roseau what the attraction is in playing in Memorial versus the 'new' rink.

And playing where it is not glitzy and new and fancy and convenient is a good experience for hockey and beyond.
Leave the glitz for the finals or maybe for the state tourney.

And since my real age is only 31....
no I guess you are right, it is an old man's thoughts...
but old does not mean wrong.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:Amsoil is a great NEW rink, but skating where maybe your father or uncles played, maybe a grandfather, where Olympians played...
In a rink that has 'character', and yes character comes with age, has merit. Ask the boys up in Roseau what the attraction is in playing in Memorial versus the 'new' rink.

And playing where it is not glitzy and new and fancy and convenient is a good experience for hockey and beyond.

12-13 regular season games plus 1 QF game is enough to enjoy the nostalgia. 2 games at a glitzy new arena for the Big Stage of the semi's and finals is just right.

Oh and Northwoods, yeah...country rap money girls etc., boy you have me pegged.... :roll:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

"Wrong, I got lots of compliments and really never any complaints about the music I played. It was current music with a small seasoning of classic rock. I also understood playing the right music for the right situation to get the crowd going. The Amsoil Arena DJ also understands this concept. Too many music guys out there just play the same dated list every night and in the wrong situations. I believe 7AA and 7A have long standing contracts in place with Amsoil so it is a pointless argument anyways."

I am sure you did and I am sure they are deserved.

No arguing the opportunity but rather what each has to offer.
My argument is from the point of view of player (former), coach and fan of the game. (from my old perspetive)
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:"Wrong, I got lots of compliments and really never any complaints about the music I played. It was current music with a small seasoning of classic rock. I also understood playing the right music for the right situation to get the crowd going. The Amsoil Arena DJ also understands this concept. Too many music guys out there just play the same dated list every night and in the wrong situations. I believe 7AA and 7A have long standing contracts in place with Amsoil so it is a pointless argument anyways."

My argument is from the point of view of player (former), coach and fan of the game. (from my old perspetive)
And I am certainly not in any way trying to argue against the fact that these old buildings hold a special place in the hearts of HS hockey fans, and deservedly so. But for one day in the calendar year, to have a special event in the great city of Duluth and using a great venue like Amsoil makes all the sense in the world. Like I previously said, we get to enjoy these "Wrigley Fields" and "Fenway Parks" of HS hockey the entire regular season, which is awesome.
gitter

Post by gitter »

kniven wrote:
green4 wrote:Every year during section time you can count on DJ to defend poor Amsoil arena.
For me, I would much rather watch big high school hockey games at Hibbing Memorial and the IRA versus Amsoil any day.
Like watching the Girls state tournament at Xcel Center. What a great venue! So many bars and what a great area on 7th! Playing hockey in a giant cavern with no attendance is awful. If you cant fill it up move it elsewhere. Move it to Heritage if you like Duluth so much and care so much about sight lines.
northwoods oldtimer

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Amsoil is a great NEW rink, but skating where maybe your father or uncles played, maybe a grandfather, where Olympians played...

12-13 regular season games plus 1 QF game is enough to enjoy the nostalgia. 2 games at a glitzy new arena for the Big Stage of the semi's and finals is just right.

Oh and Northwoods, yeah...country rap money girls etc., boy you have me pegged.... :roll:
Too busy firing up a Camel dart to worry much about what you were spinning any ways. Single A hockey at Amsoil is LAME I tell you. L-A-M-E

okie- dokie that 7AA final is held at Amsoil. That seems to work
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

I know it’s been a while but when was the last year Rapids was out in the first round?
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

I believe in 2012 they lost at home to Forest lake. and in 2010 they lost to Forest Lake at Forest Lake. First round.
kniven

Post by kniven »

gitter wrote:
kniven wrote:
Like watching the Girls state tournament at Xcel Center. What a great venue! So many bars and what a great area on 7th! Playing hockey in a giant cavern with no attendance is awful. If you cant fill it up move it elsewhere. Move it to Heritage if you like Duluth so much and care so much about sight lines.[/quote

agreed
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
elliott70 wrote:"Wrong, I got lots of compliments and really never any complaints about the music I played. It was current music with a small seasoning of classic rock. I also understood playing the right music for the right situation to get the crowd going. The Amsoil Arena DJ also understands this concept. Too many music guys out there just play the same dated list every night and in the wrong situations. I believe 7AA and 7A have long standing contracts in place with Amsoil so it is a pointless argument anyways."

And I am certainly not in any way trying to argue against the fact that these old buildings hold a special place in the hearts of HS hockey fans, and deservedly so. But for one day in the calendar year, to have a special event in the great city of Duluth and using a great venue like Amsoil makes all the sense in the world. Like I previously said, we get to enjoy these "Wrigley Fields" and "Fenway Parks" of HS hockey the entire regular season, which is awesome.
Well, since you are giving in on the semis, I will give in on the finals.

:D
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Speaking of Semifinal sites elliot, when is 8AA gonna get their act together and stop this boring high seed hosts non-sense and put both semifinals at the Sanford Center?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

The only way you're 31 is if you were born on 2/29 :mrgreen:

lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

ndirishfighting wrote:I know it’s been a while but when was the last year Rapids was out in the first round?
2010 I think, 6-0 loss at Forest Lake if I remember correctly.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Scout716 wrote:I believe in 2012 they lost at home to Forest lake. and in 2010 they lost to Forest Lake at Forest Lake. First round.
Okay, yep this is right.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Speaking of Semifinal sites elliot, when is 8AA gonna get their act together and stop this boring high seed hosts non-sense and put both semifinals at the Sanford Center?
No thanks.