Trent Klatt stepping down at GR....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slammer

Trent Klatt stepping down at GR....

Post by Slammer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:25 am

Wow. What a shocker this morning. Seems to have come out of nowhere.

Klatt is stepping down to pursue his college degree this year. I'm assuming he's doing this so he can coach at the U of M.

Link- https://twitter.com/tklatt26/status/871014835634536449

Usthockey13

Re: Trent Klatt stepping down at GR....

Post by Usthockey13 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:33 am

Slammer wrote:Wow. What a shocker this morning. Seems to have come out of nowhere.

Klatt is stepping down to pursue his college degree this year. I'm assuming he's doing this so he can coach at the U of M.

Not really a shocker. Miller is gone, Stejkal/Hain/ Mclaughin most likely not coming back and losing most of his D to graduation he saw the writing on the wall.

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:43 am

Usthockey13 wrote:
Slammer wrote:Wow. What a shocker this morning. Seems to have come out of nowhere.

Not really a shocker. Miller is gone, Stejkal/Hain/ Mclaughin most likely not coming back and losing most of his D to graduation he saw the writing on the wall.
True.
Last edited by Slammer on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:29 am

Usthockey13 wrote:

^^^^^^
agree with US. Top guys must not be coming back

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 am

Always sell high
It is what it is!

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:

I disagree. Those boys are coming back. Just my opinion. Coach Klatt a great guy who has other priorities more important in his life, and he can't commit 100%, which a great program like Rapids needs from its leader. There are droves of fine coaches getting in line to coach this team.

And to say coaches come and go depending on talent? Hogwash. Coaches want to be there through lean and good years: builds character:). Rapids will be just fine. S/H/M will be back. Rapids doesn't loose many pucksters early.....

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Word on the street in Rapids is Zack Stejskal is leaving. I expect the the two will follow.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:02 pm

kniven wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:

I disagree. Those boys are coming back. Just my opinion. Coach Klatt a great guy who has other priorities more important in his life, and he can't commit 100%, which a great program like Rapids needs from its leader. There are droves of fine coaches getting in line to coach this team.

And to say coaches come and go depending on talent? Hogwash. Coaches want to be there through lean and good years: builds character:). Rapids will be just fine. S/H/M will be back. Rapids doesn't loose many pucksters early.....

Agree 100%. Coaches don't jump ship just because a team is going to go through some lean years. Its the way high school hockey works. Get a few years of talent coming through then they graduate and need to wait a few years before the next wave comes through.

Sad to see you go Trent. Really thought and was hoping you were in it for the long haul. Thanks for your time here and for bringing a title back to GR, it was a heck of a ride!! Good luck at the U and your future endeavors.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:08 pm

north_bear wrote:
kniven wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:

Agree 100%. Coaches don't jump ship just because a team is going to go through some lean years. Its the way high school hockey works. Get a few years of talent coming through then they graduate and need to wait a few years before the next wave comes through.

Sad to see you go Trent. Really thought and was hoping you were in it for the long haul. Thanks for your time here and for bringing a title back to GR, it was a heck of a ride!! Good luck at the U and your future endeavors.
From what I heard, all three are leaving. I know it's hard to hear as a rapids fan....

But the Duluth East era is back. 8)

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Word on the street in Rapids is Zack Stejskal is leaving. I expect the the two will follow.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Heard same thing from Rapids fans. The top guys are leaving and there isn't a lot in the cupboard. May not be the entire reason Klatt is leaving but I would bet it was a big part of it!

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:38 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:Heard same thing from Rapids fans. The top guys are leaving and there isn't a lot in the cupboard. May not be the entire reason Klatt is leaving but I would bet it was a big part of it!
Really starting to show how little you know.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Sad to see you go coach!

Had a great time with many other buddies following you around the metro in the last couple years, and many occasions yelling out "good luck coach" with a thumbs up when you were nearby

Great memories! Great drama ! Great kids ! Great life guiding principles, and the courage to express them!

Your Section 7 finals were among my top 10 50 year hockey watching memories, thanks to Knivens excellent live streaming . The title at the X was just the frosting on the cake .

See you in the driver or asst seat at mariucci in a couple years!

Btw , Moorhead's top five/top 3 status has just further improved, as unfortunately there will be Early Departs here as well as a couple other top five Metro teams!

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Bluelightspecial-II wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:Heard same thing from Rapids fans. The top guys are leaving and there isn't a lot in the cupboard. May not be the entire reason Klatt is leaving but I would bet it was a big part of it!
Really starting to show how little you know.
Oh great bluelight special please inform us as to the ins and outs of Rapids hockey. As I said before the cupboard is bare there for the next few years. That's a fact

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 pm

hadenuf wrote:Word on the street in Rapids is Zack Stejskal is leaving. I expect the the two will follow.
Where is he going?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:01 am

Slammer wrote:
north_bear wrote:
kniven wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:

From what I heard, all three are leaving. I know it's hard to hear as a rapids fan....

But the Duluth East era is back. 8)
Yeah, it's awful being a GR fan. :)

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 am

Injuns have won 4 titles with 4 different coaches. Looking forward to the next phase.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:45 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Injuns have won 4 titles with 4 different coaches. Looking forward to the next phase.
When you stop and think, that is very impressive. Hopefully the next one won't be a 30 year wait.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:48 pm

If Hain and McLaughlin don't come back it will be a long time before Rapids gets back to state. There is not the high end talent in their youth program to be at the same level as the better 7AA teams which may soon include Hermantown. Who they will get to coach is also a big factor. If they can steal Clafton from Greenway that will improve the odds but I don't think Clafton will be a good fit at Rapids.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 pm

greenwayraider wrote:If Hain and McLaughlin don't come back it will be a long time before Rapids gets back to state. There is not the high end talent in their youth program to be at the same level as the better 7AA teams which may soon include Hermantown. Who they will get to coach is also a big factor. If they can steal Clafton from Greenway that will improve the odds but I don't think Clafton will be a good fit at Rapids.
Doesn't Grand Rapids get a fair amount of kids moving/transferring in over the years? I have no clue. But Rapids would be very appealing to any hockey players I'd think.

skatez

Post by skatez » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 pm

How many of their variety players moved in at some point? How many of this year's championship team played somewhere other than Rapids in pee wees or later?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 pm

skatez wrote:How many of their variety players moved in at some point?
Not sure, but they did add a good mix of different skill sets to what was already there. :wink:

norcon

Post by norcon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:50 pm

I personally spoke to one of the top guys today and he informed me that he hasn't decided yet as to where he will be playing next fall and it sounds like the same for the others as well. Trent did a nice job with the team this season but remember this same group won the state AA bantam championship just a few years ago. Not like he turned the program around. Plenty of capable candidates available, just in GR alone. Life will go on for the Halloween machine.

norcon

Post by norcon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm

skatez wrote:How many of their variety players moved in at some point? How many of this year's championship team played somewhere other than Rapids in pee wees or later?
I pretty sure none.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:06 pm

norcon wrote:
I personally spoke to one of the top guys today and he informed me that he hasn't decided yet as to where he will be playing next fall and it sounds like the same for the others as well. Trent did a nice job with the team this season but remember this same group won the state AA bantam championship just a few years ago. Not like he turned the program around. Plenty of capable candidates available, just in GR alone. Life will go on for the Halloween machine.
I don't think GR would have won the title without Trent.