Top Privates

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

formersection3Afan

Top Privates

Post by formersection3Afan »

As a current body of work and future

1. Holy Family trending upward
2. STA maintain
3. Hill Murray maintain
4. BSM decline
5. SCC trending upward
6. Duluth Marshall trending upward
7. Breck trending upward
8. Blake trending upward
9. Holy Angels decline
10. TBD
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Holy Family might be trending upward but not #1

HM is #1

STA maybe #2
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

By current body of work do you mean last season or the historical accomplishments for each school?

If the latter, how on earth can you have Holy Family first?
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

hockeyfan893 wrote:By current body of work do you mean last season or the historical accomplishments for each school?

If the latter, how on earth can you have Holy Family first?
dude probably sends his kids to HF
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

Entirely depends on recruiting…Period. End of story.
BP

Post by BP »

He obviously doesn't know the landscape......list is way off.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

BP wrote:He obviously doesn't know the landscape......list is way off.
Lol yeah these guys don't like talking about HF at all, I didn't even care to mention that HF's Brady Ziemer committed to SCSU and HF alum Jaxson Stauber committed to Mankato State these past few weeks. Only other commit recently is Brady Meyer from North Branch going to UMD. HF is the private top dog especially since they know what the kids want. Those blind to social media stay blind.
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

HockeyonFire wrote:
Lol yeah these guys don't like talking about HF at all, I didn't even care to mention that HF's Brady Ziemer committed to SCSU and HF alum Jaxson Stauber committed to Mankato State these past few weeks. Only other commit recently is Brady Meyer from North Branch going to UMD. HF is the private top dog especially since they know what the kids want. Those blind to social media stay blind.
The problem is we aren't clear in the initial premise. No one would deny that Holy Family is a top-tier private school at the present moment. The initial question, however, was ambiguous, in asking about "current body of work." Does this mean the the historical body of work up to the present, or simply the body of work over the past season?
BP

Post by BP »

HockeyonFire wrote:

Easy tiger :). I wasn't talking about Holy Family - They are doing a nice job of getting guys to the next level. Talking about others on the list.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Hermhawkey wrote:Entirely depends on recruiting…Period. End of story.
Absolutely! Nobody knows more about recruiting than a Hermantown guy. You're living it every day.
HockeyonFire

Re: Top Privates

Post by HockeyonFire »

As of entering this upcoming year
1. Holy Family trending upward
2. STA maintain
3. Hill Murray maintain
4. ST. Cloud cathedral Great abundance of talent will make A final
5. Cretin. Young talent, trending up
6. SPA. Senior talent
7. Breck trending down too young, new coach
8. BSM trending down too young
9. Duluth Marshall. Maintain
10. Holy Angels. Too young, new coach
11. Blake will be better eventually with move to AA
12. Minnehaha Academy. New coach
13. Totino Grace. New coach
14. Providence Academy. Can stick to tennis
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

If you base it off the article in Lets Play Hockey which shows which schools produce the most D1 players Benilde is top school. Taking a look at programs right now, the top programs are BSM, HM, and St Thomas. Doesn't mean these are top teams this year but overall have best programs and results.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

minnscout wrote:If you base it off the article in Lets Play Hockey which shows which schools produce the most D1 players Benilde is top school. Taking a look at programs right now, the top programs are BSM, HM, and St Thomas. Doesn't mean these are top teams this year but overall have best programs and results.
which one had the leading goal scorer in the stanley cup playoffs?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Watch Helgeson draft stock jump next year just because of that!
(Scouts will also note his Roseau roots)
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Absolutely! Nobody knows more about recruiting than a Hermantown guy. You're living it every day.
So do we make them an honorary private school then? If so they have to be ranked 2nd right behind HF based on their recruiting prowess.
BP

Post by BP »

HockeyonFire wrote:As of entering this upcoming year

Added info in bold below -

1. Holy Family trending upward - 2 new national camp "transfers" this year
2. STA maintain - loaded group - can they finally get over hump?
3. Hill Murray maintain - Not a ton return outside BH - but Lechner always finds a way!
4. ST. Cloud cathedral Great abundance of talent will make A final - will win Class A this year
5. Cretin. Young talent, trending up - Great soph class
6. SPA. Senior talent - what seniors? They have zero. Solid young D core - need to find scoring.
7. Breck trending down too young, new coach - last year of them being relevant in A
8. BSM trending down too young - lots of new faces coming in
9. Duluth Marshall. Maintain - young team - will look to take next steps
10. Holy Angels. Too young, new coach - a load of seniors and some good young talent coming in as 9th and 10th graders this season
11. Blake will be better eventually with move to AA - good young talent in 9th and 10th grade class
12. Minnehaha Academy. New coach - lost a ton by graduation and 4-5 returners transferring out
13. Totino Grace. New coach - New coach will build these guys back up
14. Providence Academy. Can stick to tennis - Not real deep
15. Rochester Lourdes - new coaching staff - but good talent coming from youth programs - they will have a cake walk to state with RW and Northfield in different section.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Wet Paint wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
So do we make them an honorary private school then? If so they have to be ranked 2nd right behind HF based on their recruiting prowess.
They've been an Honorary Private since 2010 if I remember correctly. I'd have to look it up though.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

HockeyonFire wrote: Added info in bold below -

7. Breck trending down too young, new coach - last year of them being relevant in A
This. As an alumnus I hate to say it, but Blake is poised to overtake my Mustangs within the near future. Over the past few years there was a conflict between Breck's administration and a sizable contingent of the hockey parents and staff over a potential jump to AA. Not only did the administration eventually win this battle, I have it on good authority that they went a step further and made it clear that hockey would be deemphasized, particularly with regard to recruiting. Coach Larson's departure can be at least partially attributed to this shift in priorities, and Breck's era of dominance over its metro Class A counterparts seems poised to be coming to an end.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

Holy Family should make it to one State Tournament before being put at the top of any list.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Are there still people naive enough to think only private schools recruit?
East Side Pioneer Guy

BP wrote:

[/b]13. Totino Grace. New coach - New coach will build these guys back up
[/b]
"Back up"??? Refresh my memory, when were they "up"?
BP

Post by BP »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
BP wrote:

[/b]
"Back up"??? Refresh my memory, when were they "up"?[/quote

You are a AA guy, so you don't follow Class A Hockey. But there were a lot of years where they were a top 5-6 team in the state for many years, but in a section with either STA, Breck, Blake, or Mahtomedi. They've had a lot of good Class A teams over the past 15 years.
East Side Pioneer Guy

BP wrote:
BP wrote: "Back up"??? Refresh my memory, when were they "up"?[/quote

You are a AA guy, so you don't follow Class A Hockey. But there were a lot of years where they were a top 5-6 team in the state for many years, but in a section with either STA, Breck, Blake, or Mahtomedi. They've had a lot of good Class A teams over the past 15 years.
The thing is, the drop off from1-2 down to 5-6 in Class A is a whole lot bigger than the that of Class AA. So getting "back up" to 5-6 in Class A, well that's not that high of a bar. And that's one reason why you are absolutely correct in saying I don't follow Class A. It's next to impossible to see the 5, 6, 7, & 8 seeds advancing to the quarterfinals in A, as has actually happened in AA.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

BP wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:As of

Code: Select all

entering
this upcoming year

[/b]
"Back up"??? Refresh my memory, when were they "up"?
Totino Grace history

Aside from the last few years, does this look like a program that has experienced a lack of success over the past two decades? The recent struggles can also be partially attributed to the move to the NW Suburban Conference and playing a largely AA schedule.
East Side Pioneer Guy

If one defines success as being a Class A section runner-up, knock yourself out.

I wish the Eagles all the best in coming years.