Elite player to Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

longrebound

Re: Elite player to Hermantown

Post by longrebound » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:02 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:I don't think Hermantown should move up. I do believe Cloquet and Duluth Marshall should play where they belong: A. Cloquet and Marshall will never get a wiff of the state tourney playing with the big boys. If they do, it will be once every 10- 20 years. And no chance to win the ship at state.[/quote

That's quite a different thought then what you've said in the past with old regime.
Very true. Not only is CEC class A, but also CEC gets very, very rarely gets transfers in to play for them. It would sure be nice to see the kids in purple have a good chance year in and out make it to state. Play AA in youth, but A in high school. Kids work extremely hard and every year, generally fall way short of a state appearance. Hermantown would still be the favorite most years in 7A. But getting through East, Elk River, Grand Rapids, and big program Andover (enrollment) is generally not going to happen. Generally, CEC doesn't even play the schedule Hermantown or even Marshall play in the regular season. CEC girls are now in 7A. The boys should. E there as well.
Cloquet used to get many many transfers, 5 NHL players in a town that sized non of whom played A Hockey, UMD captain I salute that program not tear it down, good for them and 7AA, Look for Grand Rapids to take a big slide, I believe it was you that said Rapids does not lose players would not lose players, cannot remember last time Andover beat Cloquet, 1.elks 2.east. 3.cloquet
Going back nine years ... Andover beat Cloquet in 2008-09, 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2015-16. Cloquet won in 2010-11 and 2016-17. They tied in 2014-15.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:07 pm

With this elite player from Ely apparently going to H town ; my question to the experts is this: considering the schedule Ely played last year are all of you expecting him to jump onto the high school team and play well with their schedule?? There is a HUGE difference in the caliber of teams the two teams play.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Upfan111 wrote:With this elite player from Ely apparently going to H town ; my question to the experts is this: considering the schedule Ely played last year are all of you expecting him to jump onto the high school team and play well with their schedule?? There is a HUGE difference in the caliber of teams the two teams play.[/quote

He is ready as any 9th grader in the state to play Varsity hockey.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 pm

longrebound wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:
kniven wrote:I don't think Hermantown should move up. I do believe Cloquet and Duluth Marshall should play where they belong: A. Cloquet and Marshall will never get a wiff of the state tourney playing with the big boys. If they do, it will be once every 10- 20 years. And no chance to win the ship at state.[/quote

That's quite a different thought then what you've said in the past with old regime.
Very true. Not only is CEC class A, but also CEC gets very, very rarely gets transfers in to play for them. It would sure be nice to see the kids in purple have a good chance year in and out make it to state. Play AA in youth, but A in high school. Kids work extremely hard and every year, generally fall way short of a state appearance. Hermantown would still be the favorite most years in 7A. But getting through East, Elk River, Grand Rapids, and big program Andover (enrollment) is generally not going to happen. Generally, CEC doesn't even play the schedule Hermantown or even Marshall play in the regular season. CEC girls are now in 7A. The boys should. E there as well.
Cloquet used to get many many transfers, 5 NHL players in a town that sized non of whom played A Hockey, UMD captain I salute that program not tear it down, good for them and 7AA, Look for Grand Rapids to take a big slide, I believe it was you that said Rapids does not lose players would not lose players, cannot remember last time Andover beat Cloquet, 1.elks 2.east. 3.cloquet
Going back nine years ... Andover beat Cloquet in 2008-09, 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2015-16. Cloquet won in 2010-11 and 2016-17. They tied in 2014-15.
Do the playoff wins count? Cloquet is 2 and 0 vs Andover in playoffs. how about before 2009-2010 do those wins count? hardly makes Cloquet not competitive with Andover

BP

Post by BP » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Upfan111 wrote:With this elite player from Ely apparently going to H town ; my question to the experts is this: considering the schedule Ely played last year are all of you expecting him to jump onto the high school team and play well with their schedule?? There is a HUGE difference in the caliber of teams the two teams play.
Yes - he'll be ready to jump in and play well. And the point is another elite player moving in when most people from the town deny it.....

longrebound

Post by longrebound » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
longrebound wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:

Do the playoff wins count? Cloquet is 2 and 0 vs Andover in playoffs. how about before 2009-2010 do those wins count? hardly makes Cloquet not competitive with Andover
You said you couldn't remember the last time that Andover beat Cloquet so I provided a few examples. I didn't look up the playoffs and the Hockey Hub only goes back to 2009.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 pm

BP wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:With this elite player from Ely apparently going to H town ; my question to the experts is this: considering the schedule Ely played last year are all of you expecting him to jump onto the high school team and play well with their schedule?? There is a HUGE difference in the caliber of teams the two teams play.
Yes - he'll be ready to jump in and play well. And the point is another elite player moving in when most people from the town deny it.....
Zero programs would turn down talent.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am

kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
That may be true. But when open-enrollees and transfers are the reason you dominate Class A, not many programs would stay there either.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:30 am

kniven wrote:
BP wrote:

I agree 100%. It's just been the crying of years past that all their kids from the boarders of their "little" town. That's all. Can't have it both ways.
Last edited by BP on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:00 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
BP wrote:The biggest issue with Hermantown is that the top brass complained that they can't compete with "metro all-star teams" when they were losing to Breck and STA. They act like they are Ely or Kittson Central - a super small town with not a lot of numbers and can't compete with the big schools and ALL of their kids are from inside the borders of H'town - when everyone knows that is not the case. No one has an issue with them being good - it's being a hypocrite and the fact that they play AA all youth years AND have a predominately AA High School schedule. Combine with beating the past two AA champions - then you have an issue. EVERYONE loves the small town story - building into a power etc. They have done a great job in building a GREAT program, year in and year out - hats off to everyone that has done it. BUT, you can't say all those things, perform the way you do, LOADS of D1 guys, and stay in A without everyone being up in arms. End of the day - that is what it. AND - they had 8 guys in the Elite League this year - not bad for an A team.

Class A teams will have good groups coming through - no doubt (see EGF, SPA, Mahtomedi, Delano, etc). But to sustain it for over a decade, be in state title game for 8 straight years, have multiple kids from outside the district, play AA as a youth then A in HS, etc - that is the problem. I have nothing but respect for how the community and the previous staff did building what they have - it's awesome and other communities should model themselves after it. That said, move up and no one will say a word anymore and in fact - they will be the lovable northern team at State and everyone will be pulling for them like Rapids, Roseau, Warroad, etc.
This. Can't say it much better than that.
Agreed.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 am

IF this rumor is true...it will be interesting to see if the new coach insist he stay in Bantams as has been past practice with Plante. Big jump from the competition he saw playing in Ely HS or not.

Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
That may be true. But when open-enrollees and transfers are the reason you dominate Class A, not many programs would stay there either.
The reason we "dominate" is our program is very healthy, has a very high participation rate, excellent coaching, and lots of outside ice. Open enrollment and transferring is a by product of that. Get over it.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 am

Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
The reason we "dominate" is our program is very healthy, has a very high participation rate, excellent coaching, and lots of outside ice. Open enrollment and transferring is a by product of that. Get over it.
Agreed

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 am

Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
Of course, talent (from everywhere) has nothing to do with it. It's all because the program is "healthy."

rainier

Post by rainier » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am

Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
Your program is excellent for the reasons you gave, but they dominate because they can compete with the very best in AA, yet play A.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm

rainier wrote:
Hermhawkey wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:
BP wrote:
Your program is excellent for the reasons you gave, but they dominate because they can compete with the very best in AA, yet play A.
Agreed

BleedGreen5

Post by BleedGreen5 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Hermantown, Schmermantown, I have followed this conversation across multiple posts and agree that if I could just go grab what ever stud from whatever program I wanted, it would be a lot easier to increase the depth of my team.

However from a EGF point of view, I would much rather coach, train, and produce our own kids and give them the opportunity to learn the game of Hockey and learn success and defeat. We use the opportunity of playing the "Big Bad Teams and programs" as inspiration to go out and compete as hard as we can and improve, sometimes we compete just fine, others not.

The bottom line is your six better than my six, your 15 better than my 15, your program better than mine, there is a lot of things that can go into all of this, but am I better at bringing along player 6-15, and I would rather give our players this training and opportunity.

As a side note, EGF will have some players transfer in from other towns, these are people that move to EGF for whatever reason, but they are not encouraged or recruited, it is a cardinal sin for OLD TIME Grand Forks and EGF people to cross the river (and for most of Minnesota people they dont think they can play Hockey anyways) the new people that move to EGF and GF quickly find out these are the Mortal enemy.

By the way I'm not sure I would want to be on EGF's high school or Bantam schedule this year, just a little forewarning.

Sorry, just a little sick of the Hermantown debate.

Saturdays

Post by Saturdays » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:30 pm

BG5
you're kidding right? :oops:

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:19 am

BleedGreen5 wrote:Hermantown, Schmermantown, I have followed this conversation across multiple posts and agree that if I could just go grab what ever stud from whatever program I wanted, it would be a lot easier to increase the depth of my team.

However from a EGF point of view, I would much rather coach, train, and produce our own kids and give them the opportunity to learn the game of Hockey and learn success and defeat. We use the opportunity of playing the "Big Bad Teams and programs" as inspiration to go out and compete as hard as we can and improve, sometimes we compete just fine, others not.

The bottom line is your six better than my six, your 15 better than my 15, your program better than mine, there is a lot of things that can go into all of this, but am I better at bringing along player 6-15, and I would rather give our players this training and opportunity.

As a side note, EGF will have some players transfer in from other towns, these are people that move to EGF for whatever reason, but they are not encouraged or recruited, it is a cardinal sin for OLD TIME Grand Forks and EGF people to cross the river (and for most of Minnesota people they dont think they can play Hockey anyways) the new people that move to EGF and GF quickly find out these are the Mortal enemy.

By the way I'm not sure I would want to be on EGF's high school or Bantam schedule this year, just a little forewarning.

Interesting post, I've always admired the EGF program because they do it the right way. I think everyone admires them. Hermantown represents the opposite end of that spectrum. They recruit, and 40% of their top talent is from outside of their school district. But you guys proved that the right way can work, because you dominated them in two straight Title games at State. Cheers to EGF. I hope they have another special class come through, because they can't just grab all of the players they need.

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 am

The biggest recruiters for high school or youth hockey are the kids themselves. If you really want to see fewer top kids switching programs then you should argue for less off season hockey like selects, elite league, etc so these kids don't get an opportunity to play together.

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:02 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
BleedGreen5 wrote:Hermantown, Schmermantown, I have followed this conversation across multiple posts and agree that if I could just go grab what ever stud from whatever program I wanted, it would be a lot easier to increase the depth of my team.

Interesting post, I've always admired the EGF program because they do it the right way. I think everyone admires them. Hermantown represents the opposite end of that spectrum. They recruit, and 40% of their top talent is from outside of their school district. But you guys proved that the right way can work, because you dominated them in two straight Title games at State. Cheers to EGF. I hope they have another special class come through, because they can't just grab all of the players they need.
What a bunch of complete BS. Jeffy you actually know nothing about Hermantown, you are just a jealous bitter person. You need to move on.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

What a bunch of complete BS. Jeffy you actually know nothing about Hermantown, you are just a jealous bitter person. You need to move on.
LOL, truth hurts I guess. 😀

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Not the truth snowflake.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am

pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

Not the truth snowflake.
Name calling? Classic! 😂

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 am

Hermhawkey, you said open enrollment is closed, right? Then how did three more PeeWees from Proctor open enroll for next year? Two twin brothers in 6th grade and a 7th Grader? Is it only open to Hockey players???
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.