Ryder Donovan

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Usthockey13

Ryder Donovan

Post by Usthockey13 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Looks like he just gave his verbal to UND

kniven

Re: Ryder Donovan

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:Looks like he just gave his verbal to UND
Nice! I really want to meet a lot of those East hockey players this winter. Seem like a nice bunch of kids.....

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 pm

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:02 pm

I sure wish CEC could keep their D1 talent through their senior season like Duluth East does year in an Year out. It's frustrating as a fan. -just being honest.

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 am

I know the Jacks have seen some departures in the past but there isn't any reason to expect there will be anyone leaving early from the next two or three real talented classes are there Kniven?

On a side note......I was fairly surprised to see there weren't any Cloquet players attending the upcoming Model Camp.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 am

kniven wrote:
I sure wish CEC could keep their D1 talent through their senior season like Duluth East does year in an Year out. It's frustrating as a fan. -just being honest.

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.
Pretty amazing what they've been able to do. They've built one of the best programs in the history of MN High School Hockey. They've kept Northern Hockey relevant for 25 years. Now, we have Rapids with back to back 3rd and 1st place finishes. Hopefully, Cloquet can get to that level the next few years as well to give us a third top notch program. Good times.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Pretty amazing what they've been able to do. They've built one of the best programs in the history of MN High School Hockey. They've kept Northern Hockey relevant for 25 years. Now, we have Rapids with back to back 3rd and 1st place finishes. Hopefully, Cloquet can get to that level the next few years as well to give us a third top notch program. Good times.

Ya its been 67 straight years without a losing record for Duluth East

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Conor Valasano. Now there was a great East hockey player. I liked his game. I actually walked up to him in my purple gear at an east/Cloquet game at the Heritage during the JV game. He was on his cell phone, and I just stood there by him waiting for him to get off the phone. He kept looking up at my Lumberjack cap probably wondering what the heck I was doing. Well Conor got off his phone. I shook his hand and introduced myself as a Jacks Hockey huge fan, but that I totally respected the vaunted Duluth East hockey program and that I loved his game. He was literal shocked the entire time, literally. -true story. Ask him if u know him.

Anyway, he left the Greyhounds early. I remember really hoping he would stay. I don't know. Those were some great hockey days with the whole Esse/Randolph CEC/East rivalry. In my opinion will never be quite like when those 2 led their squads into battle.

Anyway....

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm

kniven wrote:Conor Valasano. Now there was a great East hockey player. I liked his game. I actually walked up to him in my purple gear at an east/Cloquet game at the Heritage during the JV game. He was on his cell phone, and I just stood there by him waiting for him to get off the phone. He kept looking up at my Lumberjack cap probably wondering what the heck I was doing. Well Conor got off his phone. I shook his hand and introduced myself as a Jacks Hockey huge fan, but that I totally respected the vaunted Duluth East hockey program and that I loved his game. He was literal shocked the entire time, literally. -true story. Ask him if u know him.

Anyway, he left the Greyhounds early. I remember really hoping he would stay. I don't know. Those were some great hockey days with the whole Esse/Randolph CEC/East rivalry. In my opinion will never be quite like when those 2 led their squads into battle.

hmmm

Anyway....

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Congrats to Ryder! He might have snuck up on a few people given his two-way game, but to play that way as a sophomore centering a top line, and to do it as a big kid who seems to expend little effort, is pretty impressive. By all accounts he's had an excellent summer so far, so I'm looking forward to getting a look this weekend in Edina. Great kid, too.

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 pm

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to Ryder! He might have snuck up on a few people given his two-way game, but to play that way as a sophomore centering a top line, and to do it as a big kid who seems to expend little effort, is pretty impressive. By all accounts he's had an excellent summer so far, so I'm looking forward to getting a look this weekend in Edina. Great kid, too.
thumbs up arambi up agree

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:38 pm

kniven wrote:Conor Valasano. Now there was a great East hockey player. I liked his game. I actually walked up to him in my purple gear at an east/Cloquet game at the Heritage during the JV game. He was on his cell phone, and I just stood there by him waiting for him to get off the phone. He kept looking up at my Lumberjack cap probably wondering what the heck I was doing. Well Conor got off his phone. I shook his hand and introduced myself as a Jacks Hockey huge fan, but that I totally respected the vaunted Duluth East hockey program and that I loved his game. He was literal shocked the entire time, literally. -true story. Ask him if u know him.

Anyway....
Is there a correlation between these two events?

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm

kniven wrote:

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.[/quote

Have you ever thought of a reason why they leave?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Has any DE players ever left early?

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm

mulefarm wrote:Has any DE players ever left early?
Pat Finnegan, Cade Fairchild & Keegan Flaherty to name a few.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Since Randolph has been there.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm

kniven wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Yes, all 3 played for Randolph, Finnegan in the State Tourney in 1998, Fairchild & Flaherty in the State Tourney in 2005.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 pm

kniven wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Zach Fitzgerald, Jon Hedberg and Josh Turnbull, to name three more.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:06 am

Derek Forbort left for the US National Development and Mike had an opinion about it in the local papers.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... pment-team

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:37 am

It's crazy how many great hockey players have come out of Duluth East.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 am

kniven wrote:It's crazy how many great hockey players have come out of Duluth East.
Knivvy, East has long been a magnet program for the North, drawing in many great players from the area. To their credit they have maintained their status as elite program even with the rise of Htown becoming the second magnet program in the area. Clearly Randolph is not for everyone hence the movement to Hermantown for some prominent hockey families.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 am

alcloseshaver wrote:
kniven wrote:It's crazy how many great hockey players have come out of Duluth East.
Knivvy, East has long been a magnet program for the North, drawing in many great players from the area. To their credit they have maintained their status as elite program even with the rise of Htown becoming the second magnet program in the area. Clearly Randolph is not for everyone hence the movement to Hermantown for some prominent hockey families.
Agreed. When you step back and actually look at all the great players coming out of both programs the last 10-20 years.....it's jaw dropping ! I mean, I'm a huge CEC fan, but let's be honest. We don't belong in the same conversation. Maybe on a player hear and there. But oly smokes, it's not even in the same area code.....the talent coming through these 2 power houses wether it's kids moving in from other areas, open enrolling, or the kids from the school district. I don't blame, at all, kids and their parents, for wanting to play for East or Hermantown.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

alcloseshaver wrote:
Surprisingly, East hasn't had a whole lot of transfers over the years. Much fewer than you would expect. They've had a few Denfeld kids and the occasional kid from outside Duluth. But nothing like Hermantown. It's probably 10 to 1 Hermantown. East has ALOT more people and kids than Hermantown, but only three PeeWee teams last year, compared to four for Hermantown. That shows the lopsided transfer ratio.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:

A great read for sure. This kid has a plan and coach Mike Randolph. Very impressive, the Hounds system is.[/quote

Have you ever thought of a reason why they leave?
Enlighten us why