3A 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:Thursday 3A top team results:

New Prague: 4 Hutch: 1
Orono: 7 LDC: 1
They certainly both came crashing back to earth after last week’s performances. Class A is just all around messy this year.
Fun game to watch at the MAC tonight before the table was tilted.... A LOT!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

fastncrash wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:Thursday 3A top team results:

New Prague: 4 Hutch: 1
Orono: 7 LDC: 1
They certainly both came crashing back to earth after last week’s performances. Class A is just all around messy this year.
How'd they look?
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

GoldyGopher wrote:
fastncrash wrote:
Stang5280 wrote: They certainly both came crashing back to earth after last week’s performances. Class A is just all around messy this year.
How'd they look?
Players looked fine. The Officials set the legitimacy of MN High School Hockey back 30 years. But they secured the Win.
Edger

Post by Edger »

In the biggest 3A tilt today, Luverne leads LDC 3-2 at the end of 2.
Luverne jumped out 2-0 after 6 minutes, but Litch scored in the final seconds of the second to tighten things up.
Should be a fun third.

Luverne hangs on. 3-2 Final.
better late

Post by better late »

4-2 Luverne, empty netter at 16:59.
hawkeyguy2

Post by hawkeyguy2 »

better late wrote:4-2 Luverne, empty netter at 16:59.
poor job of refereeing tonight. 2 loose pucks that Luverne goalie didn't have in first period and ref blows the whistle.. probably wouldn't have led to goals but you never know. However, loose puck in 3rd with 6 or so minutes left and comes right to an LDC player with an open net and ref blows whistle again. Should have been a tie game. Luverne escapes this one.
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

hawkeyguy2 wrote:
poor job of refereeing tonight. 2 loose pucks that Luverne goalie didn't have in first period and ref blows the whistle.. probably wouldn't have led to goals but you never know. However, loose puck in 3rd with 6 or so minutes left and comes right to an LDC player with an open net and ref blows whistle again. Should have been a tie game. Luverne escapes this one.
Its funny you should say that. I feel like, and I could be wrong, both teams feel the refs were bad, equally.

I don't mean they agreed on that. You know what I mean. So, what I mean is, since being a ref sucks, and its really hard to be really good and be even 90% correct, the fact that both sides feel equally screwed, maybe they called it close to even....

That said. Disclaimer, biased opinion. Luverne is cheap, they interfere and elbow under the theory of they won't call them all so play the odds. Then when they do call it they throw hands and play victim, kinda sorry theatrics to be honest.

LDC does it too, all teams and kids do it. Woe is me when I'm done wrong but what we get away with never weighs to balance the scales.

So be it.

I thought it was a pretty good game today.

Luverne established their shark mentality off faceoffs, at a few inflection points could have ended the game in the second, LDC fortunate for some posts and bounces. LDC also unfortunate on some scrum whistles, second period and third. Again, depending on your bias you may not see even scales but I figure between the whistles and the puck bounces it played out pretty even and Luverne came out with a deserved 4-2 eng road win.

Should be a fun tourney if everyone plays their best, for now Luverne has defended it and appears poised to continue.

P.S. Whether Luverne got screwed in St. Cloud or not, and whether LDC and Hutch success was fluke or not, whether anyone respects 3A or not, good on ya for showing well. Maybe don't even worry what the haves say, just be proud you could make em sweat enough to say mean things about you.

If my wife is watching, I'll be home after the meeting...

And remember kids, keep your stick on the ice.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I caught the last 2 periods of Luverne vs Cathedral and agree the officiating wasn't very good. But that happens and you can't be that bad on the penalty kill. And you still blew a 3 goal lead.....I left thinking there isn't a class A team Luverne can't beat but they can lose to a bunch of them as well.

Hutch losing bad to Mayo threw me, then they come back and beat Lourdes handily....Honestly I don't know what to make of Wright County Conference teams. The results are hard to figure.....New Prague ties Hermantown, Cretin beats Holy Family by 9.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

goldy313 wrote:I caught the last 2 periods of Luverne vs Cathedral and agree the officiating wasn't very good. But that happens and you can't be that bad on the penalty kill. And you still blew a 3 goal lead.....I left thinking there isn't a class A team Luverne can't beat but they can lose to a bunch of them as well.

Hutch losing bad to Mayo threw me, then they come back and beat Lourdes handily....Honestly I don't know what to make of Wright County Conference teams. The results are hard to figure.....New Prague ties Hermantown, Cretin beats Holy Family by 9.
Having seen both the Hutch games in Rochester this weekend, they started #33 in net against Mayo and from people around me, it sounded like it was his first career start. They played #1 Saturday against Lourdes who is their usual starter looking at minutes on hockey hub.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

hawkeyguy2 wrote:
poor job of refereeing tonight. 2 loose pucks that Luverne goalie didn't have in first period and ref blows the whistle.. probably wouldn't have led to goals but you never know. However, loose puck in 3rd with 6 or so minutes left and comes right to an LDC player with an open net and ref blows whistle again. Should have been a tie game. Luverne escapes this

The only thing Luverne escaped was the DOUCHEBAG LDC JV team! What a bunch of disrespectful punks, absolutely classless group of young adults. I hope the parents of those thugs are proud!!
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Yuge wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote:
poor job of refereeing tonight. 2 loose pucks that Luverne goalie didn't have in first period and ref blows the whistle.. probably wouldn't have led to goals but you never know. However, loose puck in 3rd with 6 or so minutes left and comes right to an LDC player with an open net and ref blows whistle again. Should have been a tie game. Luverne escapes this

The only thing Luverne escaped was the DOUCHEBAG LDC JV team! What a bunch of disrespectful punks, absolutely classless group of young adults. I hope the parents of those thugs are proud!!
I saw a team get out to an early lead in TWO games by playing the way they are able to, and then let the foot off the gas, again, and left the door open. LDC has some players and seemed to be Coached well. Not sure on the D-baggery, but I almost respect a player/team that doesn't like being pushed around. From the drop... both sides had their hands too high on contact, JMO. At least the puck movement for LHS seems to be coming around. And LDC is very capable of moving the puck well. If you missed the first period in St. Cloud, you basically missed the game. But now that Template for attack is known at least.
Officiating is what it is... but a Check that doesn't even get a second look in AA is eventually "negotiated" into a 5 Min Major as the kid lays on the ice to seal the deal... (Thought maybe he was used up by it, but most likely just embarrassed on getting tagged with his head down). For a few seconds I thought maybe he was hurt?, but after the 5 was posted, he made an absolutely stunning and miraculous recovery AND ALSO the next shift and scored his goal... so egg on A LOT of faces at that point. Kudos to the kid knowing how to "Play the Softer/Gentler Class A game". And, regarding the officials at LDC, IF an Official is consistently caught on the OPPOSITE Blue Line trying to make below the Goalline calls because he is unable to move quick enough to keep up with the play, IT SHOULD raise a LOT of questions on why he is even there. Low Ref had his hands full just trying to stay out of the way. Not even going to comment on the Goal that did go in, but was not even seen. Bottom line in the St. Cloud game is that there is NO way the game was called the way it was from the second period on out, IF the score was reversed. And THAT is very SAD.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

fastncrash wrote:
Yuge wrote:
hawkeyguy2 wrote: poor job of refereeing tonight. 2 loose pucks that Luverne goalie didn't have in first period and ref blows the whistle.. probably wouldn't have led to goals but you never know. However, loose puck in 3rd with 6 or so minutes left and comes right to an LDC player with an open net and ref blows whistle again. Should have been a tie game. Luverne escapes this

I saw a team get out to an early lead in TWO games by playing the way they are able to, and then let the foot off the gas, again, and left the door open. LDC has some players and seemed to be Coached well. Not sure on the D-baggery, but I almost respect a player/team that doesn't like being pushed around. From the drop... both sides had their hands too high on contact, JMO. At least the puck movement for LHS seems to be coming around. And LDC is very capable of moving the puck well. If you missed the first period in St. Cloud, you basically missed the game. But now that Template for attack is known at least.
Officiating is what it is... but a Check that doesn't even get a second look in AA is eventually "negotiated" into a 5 Min Major as the kid lays on the ice to seal the deal... (Thought maybe he was used up by it, but most likely just embarrassed on getting tagged with his head down). For a few seconds I thought maybe he was hurt?, but after the 5 was posted, he made an absolutely stunning and miraculous recovery AND ALSO the next shift and scored his goal... so egg on A LOT of faces at that point. Kudos to the kid knowing how to "Play the Softer/Gentler Class A game". And, regarding the officials at LDC, IF an Official is consistently caught on the OPPOSITE Blue Line trying to make below the Goalline calls because he is unable to move quick enough to keep up with the play, IT SHOULD raise a LOT of questions on why he is even there. Low Ref had his hands full just trying to stay out of the way. Not even going to comment on the Goal that did go in, but was not even seen. Bottom line in the St. Cloud game is that there is NO way the game was called the way it was from the second period on out, IF the score was reversed. And THAT is very SAD.

[/quote
I should have clarified in my earlier rant that the behavior I was told about was taking place in the stands. Nothing to do with play on the ice
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Yuge wrote:
fastncrash wrote:
Yuge wrote: I saw a team get out to an early lead in TWO games by playing the way they are able to, and then let the foot off the gas, again, and left the door open. LDC has some players and seemed to be Coached well. Not sure on the D-baggery, but I almost respect a player/team that doesn't like being pushed around. From the drop... both sides had their hands too high on contact, JMO. At least the puck movement for LHS seems to be coming around. And LDC is very capable of moving the puck well. If you missed the first period in St. Cloud, you basically missed the game. But now that Template for attack is known at least.

[/quote
I should have clarified in my earlier rant that the behavior I was told about was taking place in the stands. Nothing to do with play on the ice
So........you're ranting about something you were told about but didn't see firsthand? doh-kay
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Corn Cobb wrote:
Yuge wrote:
fastncrash wrote: So........you're ranting about something you were told about but didn't see firsthand? doh-kay
Are you with the ranting police?? I did not realize I was not following ranting protocol, this is a forum is it not? Anyways, I was there and did see the behavior firsthand as well as being told of it by others. Am I clear to rant now??
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Yuge wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
Yuge wrote: Are you with the ranting police?? I did not realize I was not following ranting protocol, this is a forum is it not? Anyways, I was there and did see the behavior firsthand as well as being told of it by others. Am I clear to rant now??
You Luverne 'fans' are something else....
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

Corn Cobb wrote:
Yuge wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote: You Luverne 'fans' are something else....
please don't lump everyone into one group.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Litch at Marshall tomorrow night, winner likely locks up the two seed. Litch and Luverne played a competitive game last Saturday with Luverne hanging on for the win. Litch beat Monti Tuesday night which was considered a upset. Seeing Monti and LDC both play this year LDC is the better team IMO. Marshall has been beating up on weaker teams of late so this will be a good test for them, I would be surprised if this is not a close game

LDC 3 Marshall 2
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Yuge wrote:Litch at Marshall tomorrow night, winner likely locks up the two seed. Litch and Luverne played a competitive game last Saturday with Luverne hanging on for the win. Litch beat Monti Tuesday night which was considered a upset. Seeing Monti and LDC both play this year LDC is the better team IMO. Marshall has been beating up on weaker teams of late so this will be a good test for them, I would be surprised if this is not a close game

LDC 3 Marshall 2
I would say without a question LDC is better than Monticello. A quick glance and you can see Monticello lost over 150 points to graduation or juniors. They should still find a way back to the X but this isn't a team that has scoring to upset top teams like last year.

I like Litchfield to win tonight in a 5-2 type game against Marshall.
Thegoldenjet

Seeds today

Post by Thegoldenjet »

1. Luverne - not the 'hype' Luverne of years past but a product of it, hate to lose. Its not even really about winning, just don't lose.

2. LDC - they play a brand of hockey that we all aspire to. It does not discriminate, its hard and fast. Geographical association and schedule cannot be denied, the 3A tourney is a step down for them.

3. Marshall - young talent middling between cocky against lessers and capable against equals and betters. Wins are nice but not losing at GAC defines.

4. Hutch - plays hard, not enough skill to make effort count. Same geographical advantage as LDC, been beat up, looking to have some fun again, sleep on at your own risk.

5. New Ulm - Not the New Ulm I've grown to dislike, the effort isn't even there, feel sorry more than I feel mad. But, there is hockey there, where is Sticks?

6. Willmar - hard to progress when the gateway to Central Minnesota loses respect every year.

7. RWV - sad story, banner year for them, and the fall off has been bad. I was looking forward to Redwood being legitimate competition because geographically we need it.

8. Windom - could make someone sweat and frustrated.

9 the rest
Last edited by Thegoldenjet on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The Wright County Conference is better than a whole lot of other conferences, LDC and Hutch benefit from playing there over where Luverne plays. Luverne does a good job of trying to play a tougher schedule but geography holds them quite a bit.

Redwood Valley has a top player in the state no one knows about in Luke Ryan, I know their depth is lacking but I expected more from them.

I still think Luverne is the team to beat but any of the group of Marshall, LDC, and Hutch could win.......I probably shouldn't discount New Ulm either.
TrojanHockeyFan

Re: Seeds today

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

Thegoldenjet wrote:1. Luverne - not the 'hype' Luverne of years past but a product of it, hate to lose. Its not even really about winning, just don't lose.

2. LDC - they play a brand of hockey that we all aspire to. It does not discriminate, its hard and fast. Geographical association and schedule cannot be denied, the 3A tourney is a step down for them.

3. Marshall - young talent middling between cocky against lessers and capable against equals and betters. Wins are nice but not losing at GAC defines.

4. Hutch - plays hard, not enough skill to make effort count. Same geographical advantage as LDC, been beat up, looking to have some fun again, sleep on at your own risk.

5. New Ulm - Not the New Ulm I've grown to dislike, the effort isn't even there, feel sorry more than I feel mad. But, there is hockey there, where is Sticks?

6. Willmar - hard to progress when the gateway to Central Minnesota loses respect every year.

7. RWV - sad story, banner year for them, and the fall off has been bad. I was looking forward to Redwood being legitimate competition because geographically we need it.

8. Windom - could make someone sweat and frustrated.

9 the rest
Agree with 1-5 but Willmar over Redwood when Willmar has won one game and Redwood beat them? Not that it really matters, but just wondering.
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

You're right. I blanked on that and just went with inherent bias I guess. Wasn't to spite, flip them, or not, as you alluded probably doesn't matter, both about equally capable of giving a low seed home team fits and throwing a wrench.
TrojanHockeyFan

Post by TrojanHockeyFan »

Thegoldenjet wrote:You're right. I blanked on that and just went with inherent bias I guess. Wasn't to spite, flip them, or not, as you alluded probably doesn't matter, both about equally capable of giving a low seed home team fits and throwing a wrench.
The way that RWV has been playing lately, you actually may be correct. That loss to Fairmont was not pretty. A loss to Worthington Thursday, while unlikely, would seal the deal, sadly.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

New Ulm tied @ Northfield Monday night. Not what I would call a statement tie by any means but it's a step in the right direction. 2 games they should win and 2 50/50 games to close out the year remaining. If they can find a way to score some goals and win out the momentum should make sections a little more interesting.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

goldy313 wrote:The Wright County Conference is better than a whole lot of other conferences, LDC and Hutch benefit from playing there over where Luverne plays. Luverne does a good job of trying to play a tougher schedule but geography holds them quite a bit.

Redwood Valley has a top player in the state no one knows about in Luke Ryan, I know their depth is lacking but I expected more from them.

I still think Luverne is the team to beat but any of the group of Marshall, LDC, and Hutch could win.......I probably shouldn't discount New Ulm either.
Losing Sommers and then a coaching change with Stremcha coming to New Ulm can probably be attributed to a lot of the problems RWV has had. A simple glance leads me to believe that their conditioning is a big problem too. They are a -37 for 3rd period scoring. They were +6 in the third last year. The opponent PP percentage is up nearly 20% too. Obviously losing Sommers attributes to these numbers as well, unclear how much though.

I agree that Luke Ryan is one of the better players in the section, junior hockey may have been a better route to go this year, though.