Class A Rankings 12-17-2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who should be ranked #10?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:16 am

Monticello
12%
Sartell-St Stephen
41%
Mound Westonka
6%
Luverne
35%
St Paul Johnson
No votes
Someone else
6%

Total votes: 17

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 12-17-2017

Post by HShockeywatcher »

There's a new number 1!
At this point you could really pick one of the top 3 names out of a hat and be about to make a solid case for them.
Additionally, the only game between the 3 is Mahtomedi in Hermantown in early February. Lots of common opponents though.

We have a solid group of 9 teams with a lot of parity and a lot of common games.
Then another group of 5 who could be top 5 teams, but haven't had an opportunity to show they aren't.
The next 3 weeks has a lot of games between the top teams so things should shake up.

This week I added a second record, the record against Class A opponents, which is really interesting for some.
A lot is still up in the air, as there are still 8 teams who haven't lost to a Class A opponent yet.

Enjoy!

1. [3] Mahtomedi (4-0-1) (2-0)
The Zephyrs took care of business this week, including shutting out Greenway. They should stay unbeaten this week as they head into the Schwan's Cup next week.
This week: Tues @ Northfield, Thurs @ South St Paul

2. [2] Orono (5-1-1) (5-0)
The Spartans had an up and down week beating Breck then losing to a Blake team they would've beaten on paper. They play what could be an important section game Thursday against an inconsistent Minneapolis team that would love to steal one. With no holiday tournament, their next top Class A opponent is Delano the first week of January.
This week: Tues vs Litchfield, Thurs @ Minneapolis

3. [1] Hermantown (1-3-2) (0-0)
Playing 6 AA teams to start the season, the Hawks play their first Class A opponent this week. Then it's 3 AA teams in their holiday tournament before playing Cathedral in the first week of the new year.
This week: Fri vs Thief River Falls

4. [5] Greenway (6-1) (5-1)
The Raiders' lone loss is to Mahtomedi on the road. They rebounded with a win over Cathedral right after. Two games against the Bears this week before hosting both Delano and Alexandria next week.
This week: Tues vs Eveleth-Gilbert, Fri @ Eveleth-Gilbert

5. [6] Breck (2-4) (2-1)
The Mustang's record is bad, but they've only played 3 Class A games and picked up a close loss to Orono last week. They are idle this week then play in a holiday tournament where they will play 2 AA teams to start but are on the opposite side of the bracket as Mahtomedi and Minneapolis.
This week: Idle

6. [7] Delano (3-3) (3-1)
The Tigers picked up 2 close losses this week. Their record isn't great but their lone loss is to Breck. They have 2 section games this week, both against teams who've started strong.
This week: Tues @ Minneapolis, Fri vs Mound Westonka

7. [8] East Grand Forks (5-4) (5-3)
The Green Wave have 3 close road losses to Orono, Delano and Greenway, but just won in Alexandria and have a big win over Cathedral. They now enter the part of their schedule where the game against Hibbing in January and rematch with Alexandria Feb 10 are the only non-section 8 MN opponents left.
This week: Tues vs Bemidji, Thurs vs Warroad

8. [9] Cathedral (5-2) (5-2)
After the crushing win over Alexandria, it looked like a win over Greenway was possible, but they came up short. They have the schedule to still finish the season as the #1 team, with remaining games against all teams ranked above them except EGF, but that won't happen until January.
This week: Tues vs Denfeld, Fri vs St Paul Academy

9. [4] Alexandria (3-3-1) (3-2-1)
The Cardinals go from undefeated to .500 in 3 games. They have a section game this week, then the next four are Greenway, Hibbing, Virginia and Sartall, all on the road.
This week: Tues vs Fergus Falls, Thurs vs Brainerd

10. [10] Monticello (5-1) (5-1)
The Moose are in limbo right now. They have only lost to Orono, and if they can get by 1-6 Rogers this week, they should end up entering the new year 10-1 before hosting Buffalo early January. It's going to be hard to rank them higher than anyone currently above them ever and there's even a few teams below them that could overtake them even if Monticello keeps winning.
This week: Tues vs Becker, Thurs @ Rogers

[11] Sartell-St Stephen (5-1) (4-0)
The Sabre's only loss is to, what looks like, a good Brainerd team, but they haven't played many notable Class A opponents. They play Cathedral next week and Alexandria the following week.
This week: Tues @ St Cloud, Fri vs Willmar

12. [-] Mound Westonka (5-1) (5-1)
The White Hawks' only blemish on the season is the season opening road game in Coleraine losing to Greenway by 2.
This week: Tues vs Mankato East, Fri @ Delano

13. [12] Luverne (5-0) (5-0)
The Cardinals didn't play last week, but have 3 games this week, followed by a holiday tournament in South St Paul.
This week: Tues vs Windom, Thurs vs Worthington, Fri @ Totino-Grace

14. [13] Virginia (7-1) (6-1)
The Blue Devils lost early to Greenway and have won the rest. They play two AA teams at home this week followed by hosting Alexandria and Delano the following week.
This week: Thurs vs Cloquet, Fri vs Jefferson

15. [-] Paul Johnson (4-1) (4-0)
The close win over Detroit Lakes doesn't look good, but it's still a win after a two game road trip. The Governors don't have the toughest schedule and don't even play many of the top teams in their section, so not losing is key both for ranking here and come playoffs. The first of which is an important section game this Tuesday.
This week: Tues vs South St Paul, Thurs vs Holy Angels

Other noteworthy teams:

Northfield (5-1) (4-1)
This week: Tues vs Mahtomedi, Thurs vs Albert Lea

Albert Lea (4-1) (3-0)
This week: Thurs @ Northfield

Lake of the Woods (3-0) (3-0)
This week: Tues vs Kittson Central, Thurs @ Red Lake Falls
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Ugh, what a hot mess. I applaud you for trying to make some sense of this jumble. I believe I made the same statement last week, but it really seems like class A is down overall this year. I don’t think any of these teams would crack the AA top 20 right now. I also still feel like Alexandria is ranked too high, as they are slotted right behind a team that destroyed them 7-1 this past week. Alex may well end up as a top 10 team, particularly once Doherty returns, but their early results have been ugly.
elliott70

Re: Class A Rankings 12-17-2017

Post by elliott70 »

Mine

1. Mahtomedi (4-0-1) (2-0)
2. Hermantown (2-3-1) (0-0)
3. Greenway (6-1) (5-1)
4. East Grand Forks (5-4) (5-3)
5. Orono (5-1-1) (5-0)
6. Sartell-St Stephen (5-1) (4-0)
7. St. Cathedral (5-2) (5-2)
8. Mound Westonka (5-1) (5-1)
9. Virginia (7-1) (6-1)
10. Breck (2-4) (2-1)
11. Delano (3-3) (3-1)
12. Alexandria (3-3-1) (3-2-1)
13. Luverne (5-0) (5-0)
14. Northfield (5-1) (4-1)
15. Fergus Falls (3-2-2)

Other noteworthy teams:
Albert Lea (4-1) (3-0)
St Paul Johnson
Thief River Falls
Warroad
Minneapolis
Last edited by elliott70 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Greenway had a pretty good weekend with the split. The Mahtomedi game exposed Greenway's major weaknesses. First, Greenway's lack of size in the forwards. Greenway had a 5 on 3 because of two major penalites but they could not put a lot of pressure on the goalie. Mahtomedi players formed a nice shield around the goalie and Greenway was unable create much space. Maybe they need to put Miller in front of the net for some muscle. The forwards also took a physical beating. Mahtomedi took a lot of bad penalites but their penalty kill was excellent. Second, Greenway's defensemen have to realize you can't make soft passes across the offensive zone when you are on the power play. Mahtomedi had two short-handed goals and at least two other break-a-ways that Villy (Greenway's goalie) stopped. Also the defensemen were caught too deep in the offensive zone not only on the power play but at even strength. Didn't see the Cathedral game but was not surprised they were outshot in the first period. A bus ride and the physical beating they took would have made them sluggish. They recoverd nicely and the last two periods appeared to be more even. To their credit they bounced back and beat a top ten team on the road. Mahtomedi will be a serious challenge to Hermantown. Good size, speed and they pass the puck well. Wouldn't surprise me if they win it all. Greenway's Christmas "Tourney" games with Alexandria, Delano and Rosemount out to be dandies.

Also, I would give serious consideration to Mound-Westonka at the number 10 spot. It will be interesting to see how they do against Orono and Delano.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

This is good, right? It looks like any one of a dozen or so teams could be state champs at the end.
Be kind. Rewind.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

O-townClown wrote:This is good, right? It looks like any one of a dozen or so teams could be state champs at the end.
Agreed, looks like a lot of balance. Even with Hermytown.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
HShockeywatcher

3 Minneapolis
2 Orono
:shock:

3 Brainerd
1 Alexandria

3 Cloquet
2 Virginia

1 Warroad
1 EGF

6 Mahtomedi
1 SSP
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:3 Minneapolis
2 Orono
:shock:

3 Brainerd
1 Alexandria

3 Cloquet
1 Virginia

1 Warroad
1 EGF

6 Mahtomedi
1 SSP
Cloquet 3
Virginia 2

Virginia looked good against a team that recently tied DE. (Transitive property alert!) I have to believe the Blue Devils are a top ten team.
HShockeywatcher

Class A teams from PageStat2's Top 75:
(18 ) 1. Greenway
(20 ) 2. Mahtomedi
(26 ) 3. Hermantown
(29 ) 4. St Cloud Cathedral
(30 ) 5. Orono
(38 ) 6. Sartell-St Stephen
(39 ) 7. East Grand Forks
(43 ) 8. Breck
(46 ) 9. Virginia
(50 ) 10. Delano
(53 ) 11. Mound Westonka
(55 ) 12. Thief River Falls
(60 ) 13. Luverne
(64 ) 14. Crookston
(66 ) 15. Warroad

(68 ) 16. St Paul Johnson
(69 ) 17. Monticello
(70 ) 18. Alexandria
(71 ) 19. Simley
(72 ) 20. Little Falls
(73 ) 21. Hibbing
(75 ) 22. Northfield
HShockeywatcher

rainier2 wrote:Virginia looked good against a team that recently tied DE. (Transitive property alert!) I have to believe the Blue Devils are a top ten team.
This we also provides us with some more transitive property fodder with Orono losing to Minneapolis...which is why those are always nothing more than fun.

What stands out to me is the 5-2 win over a Warroad team that EGF just tied and the early 5-3 win over a Little Falls team that Alexandria tied early. I doubt I'll be making a huge jump with them this week, but winning all next week could put them in, or just outside, the Top 5.

There's also the fact that Monticello has only lost to Orono, Alexandria has only lost to EGF and SCC, Sartell hasn't lost to any Class A teams and beat Warroad by 3 as well, and Mound Westonka's only loss is in Greenway by 2. Lots to sort through...
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
rainier2 wrote:Virginia looked good against a team that recently tied DE. (Transitive property alert!) I have to believe the Blue Devils are a top ten team.
This we also provides us with some more transitive property fodder with Orono losing to Minneapolis...which is why those are always nothing more than fun.

What stands out to me is the 5-2 win over a Warroad team that EGF just tied and the early 5-3 win over a Little Falls team that Alexandria tied early. I doubt I'll be making a huge jump with them this week, but winning all next week could put them in, or just outside, the Top 5.

There's also the fact that Monticello has only lost to Orono, Alexandria has only lost to EGF and SCC, Sartell hasn't lost to any Class A teams and beat Warroad by 3 as well, and Mound Westonka's only loss is in Greenway by 2. Lots to sort through...
Yup, a lot of balance this year. Teams are up and down. Even Hermytown looks vulnerable at this time.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Week is not over but with Christmas and a road trip and a little break at work, I figured I may as well do it.
The big questions are:
Who is number 1? Who are the next 5?

1. Mahtomedi (6-0-1)
2. Hermantown (1-3-2)
3. Greenway (7-1-0)
4. East Grand Forks (6-4-1)
5. Sartell-St Stephen (5-2-0)
6. St. Cathedral (5-2) (5-2)
7. Virginia (7-2-0)
8. Orono (6-2-1)
9. Warroad (2-6-1)
10. Mound Westonka (5-1-1)
11. Crookston (5-3-0)
12. Delano (4-3-0)
13. Alexandria (4-4-1)
14. Minneapolis (6-5-0)
15. Breck (2-4-0)
16. Monticello (7-1-0)
17. Luverne (7-0-0)
18. River Lakes (4-4-0)
19. Fergus Falls (3-4-2)
20. Northfield (6-2-0)

Others:
Mankato East
Albert Lea
St Paul Johnson
Thief River Falls
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

What happens if you put George Graniss back on that Orono team? That kid is sick...
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

greenwayraider wrote:Greenway had a pretty good weekend with the split. The Mahtomedi game exposed Greenway's major weaknesses. First, Greenway's lack of size in the forwards. Greenway had a 5 on 3 because of two major penalites but they could not put a lot of pressure on the goalie. Mahtomedi players formed a nice shield around the goalie and Greenway was unable create much space. Maybe they need to put Miller in front of the net for some muscle. The forwards also took a physical beating. Mahtomedi took a lot of bad penalites but their penalty kill was excellent. Second, Greenway's defensemen have to realize you can't make soft passes across the offensive zone when you are on the power play. Mahtomedi had two short-handed goals and at least two other break-a-ways that Villy (Greenway's goalie) stopped. Also the defensemen were caught too deep in the offensive zone not only on the power play but at even strength. Didn't see the Cathedral game but was not surprised they were outshot in the first period. A bus ride and the physical beating they took would have made them sluggish. They recoverd nicely and the last two periods appeared to be more even. To their credit they bounced back and beat a top ten team on the road. Mahtomedi will be a serious challenge to Hermantown. Good size, speed and they pass the puck well. Wouldn't surprise me if they win it all. Greenway's Christmas "Tourney" games with Alexandria, Delano and Rosemount out to be dandies.

Also, I would give serious consideration to Mound-Westonka at the number 10 spot. It will be interesting to see how they do against Orono and Delano.
Is there a better Arena to watch a game than the Snake Pit? I really love that place.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Those boys from Cloquet can play some Hockey. Not sure why anyone is surprised here.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Those boys from Cloquet can play some Hockey. Not sure why anyone is surprised here.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I talked to some of my peeps tonight and it sounds like Proctor is getting ready to build a Powerhouse now that they have the shiny brand new Arena. If they keep kids home, Hermantown will be an afterthought, most of their good players have been Proctor kids.

Side note since it's an A thread. What if George Graniss played for Orono? That kid is a Beast out there for Marshall!
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Jeffy95 wrote:I talked to some of my peeps tonight and it sounds like Proctor is getting ready to build a Powerhouse now that they have the shiny brand new Arena. If they keep kids home, Hermantown will be an afterthought, most of their good players have been Proctor kids.
It would be interesting to see the result of Proctor keeping all their talent. I imagine this would bring parity back to 7A. Both Hermantown and Proctor would be strong teams, but going to state would once again become a reality for the other teams in 7A.

Instead of 9-0 blowouts, an I-Falls or North Shore could conceivably ride a hot goalie and some puck luck to state. And semifinal Saturday with four 7A teams all ranked in the top 10-15 would be a blast, as attendance would surely increase significantly.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Jeffy95 wrote:I talked to some of my peeps tonight and it sounds like Proctor is getting ready to build a Powerhouse now that they have the shiny brand new Arena. If they keep kids home, Hermantown will be an afterthought, most of their good players have been Proctor kids.

Side note since it's an A thread. What if George Graniss played for Orono? That kid is a Beast out there for Marshall!
"Most of their good players have been proctor kids" :lol:

More fake news from jeffy.

Don't worry you 2, I guessing Herm will be 2A in 2019-20 so you and rain 2.0 can quit your whining.