The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by WestMetro » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:29 pm

All I can say is —- 37 page thread and still going strong!

Makes the drama in the west metro look like nothing by comparison

pekyman

Post by pekyman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 pm
O-townClown wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:06 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 pm
There is a fatal flaw in your argument: If you find it so devastating that rivalry games aren’t being played, then you should be leading the charge for Hermantown to move to AA.
Hermantown should play AA. I don't need to lead any charge, there are scores fighting that battle.

The issue is why doesn't Duluth East play Hermantown. Would it be a good game? Most years, yes. I think everyone agrees.

You can make up all the sorry reasons you want and climb aboard a high horse to delude yourself into feeling good about it.

OR

Duluth East could just put them on the schedule and have one more good game each year without bussing to the Twin Cities. Who loses in this scenario? The game would probably be great, it would no doubt be memorable, and the sport would be better off for it.

Instead there's that unforgettable January tilt against the (*asks friend*) Wildcats at Eagan. Hooray.
You're hilarious. Arguing that East is the bad guy when Hermantown is tearing HS ethics and sportsmanship to shreds is like trying to fix your clogged sink while your house is burning to the ground. :D
Rainier you are hilarious. I’m sure Randolph is a decent guy and all but was he not fired from the team for a physical altercation with one of his players a few years back? I think kicking was involved. Also parents of the many East players that lost their spot because of the recruits from all over the country in addition to the top players he takes from Denfeld would beg to differ. Most of the top players on the 2013 team should have been at Denfeld. East has been recruiting and housing players in the community for a long time. In addition, East regularly pulls 9 graders up to play HS Hockey. Is the talent pool so thin at East that they have to dip into the youth league for players? I am sure there are seniors that are cut to make room for the youngsters. All of this and East, who does not play A teams, still plays Class A Denfeld. Think about that for a minute. East gets most of Denfeld’s talent if the talent wants to move and much of it does. East then plays Denfeld, and beats them handedly with kids that should be on Denfeld’s team. The one time I remember Denfeld winning they were out shot something like 50-15. If there was an A team that East should not play, it would be Denfeld. You can’t tell me that Randolph could not end this if he wanted to. So Rainier, give me a break if you think East is on some kind of high horse. I think it’s more likely they invented recruiting in HS Hockey and will do just about anything to win.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 pm

pekyman wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 pm
O-townClown wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Hermantown should play AA. I don't need to lead any charge, there are scores fighting that battle.

The issue is why doesn't Duluth East play Hermantown. Would it be a good game? Most years, yes. I think everyone agrees.

You can make up all the sorry reasons you want and climb aboard a high horse to delude yourself into feeling good about it.

OR

Duluth East could just put them on the schedule and have one more good game each year without bussing to the Twin Cities. Who loses in this scenario? The game would probably be great, it would no doubt be memorable, and the sport would be better off for it.

Instead there's that unforgettable January tilt against the (*asks friend*) Wildcats at Eagan. Hooray.
You're hilarious. Arguing that East is the bad guy when Hermantown is tearing HS ethics and sportsmanship to shreds is like trying to fix your clogged sink while your house is burning to the ground. :D
Rainier you are hilarious. I’m sure Randolph is a decent guy and all but was he not fired from the team for a physical altercation with one of his players a few years back? I think kicking was involved. Also parents of the many East players that lost their spot because of the recruits from all over the country in addition to the top players he takes from Denfeld would beg to differ. Most of the top players on the 2013 team should have been at Denfeld. East has been recruiting and housing players in the community for a long time. In addition, East regularly pulls 9 graders up to play HS Hockey. Is the talent pool so thin at East that they have to dip into the youth league for players? I am sure there are seniors that are cut to make room for the youngsters. All of this and East, who does not play A teams, still plays Class A Denfeld. Think about that for a minute. East gets most of Denfeld’s talent if the talent wants to move and much of it does. East then plays Denfeld, and beats them handedly with kids that should be on Denfeld’s team. The one time I remember Denfeld winning they were out shot something like 50-15. If there was an A team that East should not play, it would be Denfeld. You can’t tell me that Randolph could not end this if he wanted to. So Rainier, give me a break if you think East is on some kind of high horse. I think it’s more likely they invented recruiting in HS Hockey and will do just about anything to win.
I'm not saying East should be on a high horse. I'm saying that, compared to the shameful depths Hermantown has sunk to in its quest for easy trophies, anyone looks good by comparison.

Pertyboy

Post by Pertyboy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Dog wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:45 am
pekyman wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Rainier you are hilarious. I’m sure Randolph is a decent guy and all but was he not fired from the team for a physical altercation with one of his players a few years back?

Translation: "I'm sure he's a good guy (but really he's a monster!)"

Also parents of the many East players that lost their spot because of the recruits from all over the country in addition to the top players he takes from Denfeld would beg to differ. Most of the top players on the 2013 team should have been at Denfeld. East has been recruiting and housing players in the community for a long time.

The HT guy writing (and very concerned no less...) about the fate of another program losing players to another program... seriously.... 0

In addition, East regularly pulls 9 graders up to play HS Hockey. Is the talent pool so thin at East that they have to dip into the youth league for players?

Correct here. The only time you get moved up at HT is when you're related to the old head HS coach. They tried with the player, who moved from Ely for various economic reasons to a wonderful neighborhood where all the kids are all very much above average, but that was shot down at the 11th hour after he was already enrolled.

I am sure there are seniors that are cut to make room for the youngsters.

If only you were so concerned about the four seniors who were cut at HT to make room for 5 of your top 6 leading scorers (who played elsewhere earlier in their hockey "career").

All of this and East, who does not play A teams, still plays Class A Denfeld. Think about that for a minute. East gets most of Denfeld’s talent if the talent wants to move and much of it does. East then plays Denfeld, and beats them handedly with kids that should be on Denfeld’s team. The one time I remember Denfeld winning they were out shot something like 50-15. If there was an A team that East should not play, it would be Denfeld.

And there it is! The typical Hermantownian shot at another program that they also benefit from with their current "arrangement". Suck the kids in from around the area because "your program sucks" and HT plays against and wins vs all the top AA teams in the state.. until it really matters.

You can’t tell me that Randolph could not end this if he wanted to. So Rainier, give me a break if you think East is on some kind of high horse. I think it’s more likely they invented recruiting in HS Hockey and will do just about anything to win.

#1 He doesn't want to. He's spoken on this and he doesn't care what HT people think. He feels his job is to get to state and see what happens. They play that (terrible) Denfeld program because they have to (dictated by the school district). Plus he likes the program because it's where he started. HT people like you don't understand this because you don't care about anyone else or the state of northern hockey (which is why root against East at state... even against STA unbelievably).
#2 They are on a high horse because they have success at the highest level and deserve respect for that. (He doesn't care if HT people don't respect him because he doesn't give them an unofficial banner of the best team in the north. He enjoys the fact that you guys are pissed that he won't give that game to you until you play AA. It's actually hilarious that he does it... and it pisses you guys off).
#3 Puleeeze don't even start with the "recruiting" nonsense. They play AA, some kids want to go from an A program to compete at that level (like you guys benefit from the same... play a AA schedule..... until it matters).

Btw if you don't want to be known for "recruiting" you probably shouldn't post your S3 Summer program.. at your rink... with new the senior kid listed on it before his school year was over. Big no no ("tampering with a currently enrolled student") as far as the state is concerned. But I'm certain the MSHSL would do nothing about it, it just makes you look like garbage. There's a lot of HT people before you who worked too hard to build a program over the years to have it soiled with that garbage.... (to get the "right" banner).

Merry Christmas

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Pertyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 pm
Dear DOG, This is Dowd here. Please leave me out of your dumbass conversations. I could care less about the subject p.s. dont hide behind your stupid moniker snd cast stones,,, leave me and my family out of your B.S.
Pertyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm
Dog wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 am
Pertyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:53 am
The great plains coach is from EGF, thus he cannot coach his own kids, they have to play on the north team, he and clafton have a wink wink to take as many of each others kids as possible. Thats the benefit of being the coach. If organizations want their kids on tge team the coaches need to get involved. The selection process is Not impartial
The HT guy crabbing about how unfair it all is... classic! :roll:
HT has loaded it up at the lower levels for years by inserting people in the selection process. The McClures from Denfeld were two of the best bantams in state but did not get an invite last year. Meanwhile, a load of HT kids recieved an automatic pass to the next round by a HT dad who was on the selection committee. One of the McClures made the national team this year....

HT only cares about HT.
Notice, no "Congrats to Rapids" or "good to see Eveleth represented"... or anything remotely dignified, just your typical HomerTown glorification. Maybe Clafton wasn't impressed with the junior class.. or maybe he doesn't like HT. Maybe HT got back what they've done at the lower level selections for years. I dont know but find it hard to feel empathy.
If you actually read this Dog it does mention Eveleth and Denfeld, Just used the HT numbers as an example, The piont was very few A players other than Greenways...who I believe will be behind Eveleth, Denfeld and Hermantown( you pick the order). The hatred for HT is old and tired. PS Not a HT Guy.
Hmmmmm, so you’re not a Hermantown guy, but now you are? What were you saying about hiding behind monikers, etc?

Dog

Post by Dog » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:27 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:50 pm
Pertyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 pm
Dear DOG, This is Dowd here. Please leave me out of your dumbass conversations. I could care less about the subject p.s. dont hide behind your stupid moniker snd cast stones,,, leave me and my family out of your B.S.
Pertyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm
Dog wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 am

The HT guy crabbing about how unfair it all is... classic! :roll:
HT has loaded it up at the lower levels for years by inserting people in the selection process. The McClures from Denfeld were two of the best bantams in state but did not get an invite last year. Meanwhile, a load of HT kids recieved an automatic pass to the next round by a HT dad who was on the selection committee. One of the McClures made the national team this year....

HT only cares about HT.
Notice, no "Congrats to Rapids" or "good to see Eveleth represented"... or anything remotely dignified, just your typical HomerTown glorification. Maybe Clafton wasn't impressed with the junior class.. or maybe he doesn't like HT. Maybe HT got back what they've done at the lower level selections for years. I dont know but find it hard to feel empathy.
If you actually read this Dog it does mention Eveleth and Denfeld, Just used the HT numbers as an example, The piont was very few A players other than Greenways...who I believe will be behind Eveleth, Denfeld and Hermantown( you pick the order). The hatred for HT is old and tired. PS Not a HT Guy.
Hmmmmm, so you’re not a Hermantown guy, but now you are? What were you saying about hiding behind monikers, etc?
Perty, I NEVER said anything about your family, EVER. Never once commented on that AT ALL. I just replied to YOUR comments about other programs. You were never impacted by it but I do feel for the kids who live in HT, played all the way up at HT, and won't play at HT this year and other years b/c of the "new guys".

It's not about you or your family or anyone's... it's really about what the winding carousel of HT hockey implants from other programs does to the state of other northern A programs. If you feel that your smearing other programs impacts your family, well them I'm afraid, my friend, that is on you.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:51 pm

I’ve heard whispers of Hermantown hockey becoming a Shattuck type, but at the same time keeping a high school program. Would that be possible?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:00 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:51 pm
I’ve heard whispers of Hermantown hockey becoming a Shattuck type, but at the same time keeping a high school program. Would that be possible?
C’mon kniven...between this post & “should HS players have agents” I’m starting to think someone spiked the brownies you ate this morning with THC (too) 😉 [-X :P Karl, if you’re back from Chicago, please check on kniven please :mrgreen:

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:51 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:51 pm
What is a Shattuck type?
Be kind. Rewind.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 am

Hermantown BantamAA and BantamA are #2 and #12 ranked in our state of hockey. #oly smokes 😳

NMNSUPPORTER

Post by NMNSUPPORTER » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 am

Why is it so difficult for people to realize that Hermantown does not have a magical potion or secret sauce, it is simply they have a good base program and then add a few of the areas top squirts, pee wees, bantams, and hs players every year. Simply put it is a numbers game. They take there base and bring in a few of the areas other top players every year and poooof there a winner. Hermantown was nothing more than a speed bump prior to the advent of AAA youth hockey. The Lake Superior Stars bring in a selection of local youth players that are above average and by doing so they create bonds with like skilled kids. Those kids and the parents see what happens when they come together and decide hey why not continue the summer success in the winter. Just to be clear when the HS went Tier I and Tier II Hermantown got placed in Tier I the first year and got crushed, the following year they requested to be the team the switched with Greenway as Greenway requested to play Tier I and Hermantown moved down to Tier II.

They have been playing at the lowest level they can forever and have taken advantage of the Summer Hockey Movement better than any other program.

That is why they win, not because of some special program. Bruce Plante was the benefactor of the AAA movement, his players were not all from the Hermantown Zipcode. In fact due to AAA and open enrollment Hermantown has raped a pillaged the Proctor/Twig program, the Denfeld program, and the Range programs ever since AAA started. Lets just leave it with they were smart enough to maximize AAA and not fight it. Heck the Hibbing brothers parents were anti AAA until there boys got selected and poof dad didnt get the HS job and they moved to there AAA home

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 am

No one is debating what you just stated (MnSupporter). Playing Single A hockey at the HS level when your Bantam AA team & Peewee AA team are among the best in MN is flipping sandbagging for tiny trophys (for a program of their stature) I repeat sandbagging, plain.& simple. Anyone who can’t see that or who disagrees with that obvious assessment...is essentially a MORON! This is especially evident with regard to the school administrators & AD at Hermantown, the people responsible for making the obtuse decision to milk playing in Single A to (evidently) maximize open enrollment 💵💰💴 along with booking their March trips to St Paul in August (with 95% certainly that they’ll advance & play in front of roughly 6,000 fans). Pathetic ☝️And for the record, I enjoy watching Hermantown play and support their players (kids). It’s the Adults who have allowed this to continue year after year after year with no end in sight.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am

NMNSUPPORTER wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:46 am
Why is it so difficult for people to realize that Hermantown does not have a magical potion or secret sauce, it is simply they have a good base program and then add a few of the areas top squirts, pee wees, bantams, and hs players every year. Simply put it is a numbers game. They take there base and bring in a few of the areas other top players every year and poooof there a winner. Hermantown was nothing more than a speed bump prior to the advent of AAA youth hockey. The Lake Superior Stars bring in a selection of local youth players that are above average and by doing so they create bonds with like skilled kids. Those kids and the parents see what happens when they come together and decide hey why not continue the summer success in the winter. Just to be clear when the HS went Tier I and Tier II Hermantown got placed in Tier I the first year and got crushed, the following year they requested to be the team the switched with Greenway as Greenway requested to play Tier I and Hermantown moved down to Tier II.

They have been playing at the lowest level they can forever and have taken advantage of the Summer Hockey Movement better than any other program.

That is why they win, not because of some special program. Bruce Plante was the benefactor of the AAA movement, his players were not all from the Hermantown Zipcode. In fact due to AAA and open enrollment Hermantown has raped a pillaged the Proctor/Twig program, the Denfeld program, and the Range programs ever since AAA started. Lets just leave it with they were smart enough to maximize AAA and not fight it. Heck the Hibbing brothers parents were anti AAA until there boys got selected and poof dad didnt get the HS job and they moved to there AAA home
Biggest difference this year is they didn’t even bother with the Base. Biondi and Pionk are the only two Hermantown kids who are contributing to the scoring. This is truly an All Northern MN AAA team.

The good news, (Hope) is that this rarely works when teams bring in these short term rentals to try to buy a championship. Great example is when the Lakers brought in Payton and Malone to a team that was already the favorite. For the sake of our game, let’s hope Hermantown and EP fall flat on their face at some point. Warroad and Andover are my teams this year! Bring it home boys!

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am
NMNSUPPORTER wrote:

Biggest difference this year is they didn’t even bother with the Base. Biondi and Pionk are the only two Hermantown kids who are contributing to the scoring. This is truly an All Northern MN AAA team.

The good news, (Hope) is that this rarely works when teams bring in these short term rentals to try to buy a championship. Great example is when the Lakers brought in Payton and Malone to a team that was already the favorite. For the sake of our game, let’s hope Hermantown and EP fall flat on their face at some point. Warroad and Andover are my teams this year! Bring it home boys!
It is possible that they will fall but you do have to remember that they do have a great youth program to build off of. Many people on here have talked about how good it is so I would assume that if their recruiting efforts were to start to not work out for them that they would fall into their base. A Hermantown team without the recruits might not be able to take on the big dogs of AA anymore but I suspect they could still give the A teams a run for their money as often as not since that base is strong. It will take years of failure for the memories of romping through to state to be wiped out of the mites and mini-mite parents who watching and starting now so I would not look for them to fall on their faces anytime soon since most of them will keep chasing the dream.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm

I couldn't agree more Jeffy.
But where is the love for the Halloween Machine?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:24 pm

hadenuf wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm
Obviously would love to see Rapids or East go, but those Huskies are damn good this year. I will be rooting for the North in the Section Playoffs but if Andover comes out they’re my team. Unless Roseau is there too.

NMNSUPPORTER

Post by NMNSUPPORTER » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:03 pm

That is my point exactly. There program at the youth level is no different than any others. No miracle drills here. They not only have there youth players but it begins very young moving in. There are not many squirt or peewee b players coming in but when you take 4-5 above average kids in your own program and add 4-5 above average from neighboring programs you have 10. Its a numbers game. They do not do anything different with there youth program than many other out there except they take in more outside talent than anyone. Wait till the day comes when a big influencer or financial sponsors kid gets cut so kid for denfled, proctor, twig, virginia, Hibbing, ely, ahsland etc has a spot. Watching Bruce Plante complain about private schools all the while he allowed kids to come in is pretty much hysterical. All the movement should open the eyes of usa hockey. Its time for a all season elite league where if you make it you play on your section all star team every year. Eight elite teams and outside of that we eliminate open enrollment. Hermantown is not the only one doing it, they are just the first, biggest, and most polished at doing it. Greenway and coach of the year Clafton did the same thing last year. No recruits to Greenway this year and you see what you get. Clafton is not some miracle worker either.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am
NMNSUPPORTER wrote:

It is possible that they will fall but you do have to remember that they do have a great youth program to build off of. Many people on here have talked about how good it is so I would assume that if their recruiting efforts were to start to not work out for them that they would fall into their base. A Hermantown team without the recruits might not be able to take on the big dogs of AA anymore but I suspect they could still give the A teams a run for their money as often as not since that base is strong. It will take years of failure for the memories of romping through to state to be wiped out of the mites and mini-mite parents who watching and starting now so I would not look for them to fall on their faces anytime soon since most of them will keep chasing the dream.
I meant fall flat this year and not winning State. Karma type thing. Yes, even with just Hermantown kids they would still be the favorite in 7A almost every year. But definitely not this year. And they couldn’t have won the two titles without the open enrollees and move-ins. Those two teams were loaded with them.

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:24 pm
hadenuf wrote:
Obviously would love to see Rapids or East go, but those Huskies are damn good this year. I will be rooting for the North in the Section Playoffs but if Andover comes out they’re my team. Unless Roseau is there too.
Alright, I can live with that.

NMNSUPPORTER

Post by NMNSUPPORTER » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 pm

No chance they would be the favorite every year with just there own players. When that was so they were a easy out. They would be competitive but not the favorite every year. They wouldn't be AA competitive every year at youth levels either

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:21 pm

hadenuf wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:10 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:24 pm
hadenuf wrote:
Alright, I can live with that.
Or CloquetEC 🤫

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm

NMNSUPPORTER wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 pm
No chance they would be the favorite every year with just there own players. When that was so they were a easy out. They would be competitive but not the favorite every year. They wouldn't be AA competitive every year at youth levels either

I have to admit that I have not dived that deep into Hermantown's youth program. I see on here that they have top ranked PeeWee and Bantam teams pretty much every year. I wonder if Proctor getting a new arena will help them keep some of those kids home that are transferring to Hermantown. It would not take very many of them to stay to start a trend. Hard to blame a kid for leaving the Duluth school system to go someplace else, hockey or not. That system is trashed and getting worse.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
NMNSUPPORTER wrote:

I have to admit that I have not dived that deep into Hermantown's youth program. I see on here that they have top ranked PeeWee and Bantam teams pretty much every year. I wonder if Proctor getting a new arena will help them keep some of those kids home that are transferring to Hermantown. It would not take very many of them to stay to start a trend. Hard to blame a kid for leaving the Duluth school system to go someplace else, hockey or not. That system is trashed and getting worse.
I’m not aware of any Proctor or Denfeld kids that have transferred in the last two years. That does coincide with the opening of the new arena in Proctor and the success of the two Denfeld Bantam groups. I wish it was just plain loyalty that kept these kids home but realize that isn’t what it used to be. I’m old school and don’t believe facilities should be the main factor. But having said that, I’ve been in Proctor’s Arena three times now. That place is immaculate and I can’t imagine any kid giving up the opportunity to grow up playing in there and on those outdoor rinks. I hope Denfeld can continue to keep everyone also.

Also, Scott Pionk coming back home to the Proctor Youth and High School Program can’t be overstated. People want their kids to be coached by him. That is probably just as important as the new Arena.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:30 pm

NMNSUPPORTER wrote:
Without outside talent, Hermantown would still be top 3 in 7A almost every season, but they would go to state only 4-5 times/decade instead of every year, and their semi and final games would be decided by 1-2 goals, not 7-8. In other words, the Hawks would be like every other 7A team that is decent in a given year: A really good top line, a good d-man or two, and perhaps a good-to-very good goalie.

The Hibbing-Greenway game yesterday really drives home the negative effect Hermantown has had in 7A. If the Hawks weren't sandbagging and dominating in A, I imagine the two excellent Hibbing forwards who left would have stayed, along with maybe the goalie, which would put Hibbing right there with Greenway, Denfeld, and Eveleth. The Virginia kids may have also stayed, knowing that they had a legitimate shot at going to state, even if they were the #4 seed. Sure, some years a 7A team would have such a good group come through that they'd roll to state for a year or two, but we'd see some great parity, especially once Proctor is rolling. Even I-falls would once again have a shot at state if they had a great class come through.

But, as it stands, some of these 7A top players would rather go to a different school or to AAA hockey instead of getting shellacked by the Hawks in the playoffs. It's lame, but it is what it is. #-o

defense

Post by defense » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:30 pm
NMNSUPPORTER wrote:
Without outside talent, Hermantown would still be top 3 in 7A almost every season, but they would go to state only 4-5 times/decade instead of every year, and their semi and final games would be decided by 1-2 goals, not 7-8. In other words, the Hawks would be like every other 7A team that is decent in a given year: A really good top line, a good d-man or two, and perhaps a good-to-very good goalie.

The Hibbing-Greenway game yesterday really drives home the negative effect Hermantown has had in 7A. If the Hawks weren't sandbagging and dominating in A, I imagine the two excellent Hibbing forwards who left would have stayed, along with maybe the goalie, which would put Hibbing right there with Greenway, Denfeld, and Eveleth. The Virginia kids may have also stayed, knowing that they had a legitimate shot at going to state, even if they were the #4 seed. Sure, some years a 7A team would have such a good group come through that they'd roll to state for a year or two, but we'd see some great parity, especially once Proctor is rolling. Even I-falls would once again have a shot at state if they had a great class come through.

But, as it stands, some of these 7A top players would rather go to a different school or to AAA hockey instead of getting shellacked by the Hawks in the playoffs. It's lame, but it is what it is. #-o
Agreed. But another thought: this is what two class hockey has done.
Otter Hockey Rocks