The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics
Stang5280

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Stang5280 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Getitright wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:47 pm
Ya. Just look how it hog tied Hill Murry, Minnetonka, and Grand Rapids whom I believe all played Hermantown and all won AA championships.
Only section 7AA uses QRF for seeding, and Grand Rapids won their championship prior to QRF implementation (arguably benefiting from being the 4 seed).

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 pm
And doesn’t that work great for Hermantown? They play AA teams and when they lose they can cry see we should stay in class A. And when they win they can screen from the class A hill and say look at us. Works perfect for them.
Tgat is another reason AA teams shouldn’t play them. There is plenty of good talent in class AA to challenge your team without giving in to Hermantown. Hermantown gets the perfect situation as long as class AA keeps playing them. Hermantown make your choice and live with it. If you want to be class A play class A teams. The coach and AD made their choice.
This shows how the beloved Coach Randolph's hardline decision means absolutely nothing.

Should they play Class AA? Yes. As long as they have the premier HS program in an area with a substantial population base and the ability to attract kids like Edina and Eden Prairie, yes.

They don't.

A stroll through this thread makes it clear who can't handle that.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:36 pm
However... whether or not you believe the feud to be petty, there is now a practical incentive for 7AA teams to avoid scheduling Hermantown. Given that QRF treats Class A opponents as second-class citizens, teams are basically shooting themselves in the foot for seeding purposes by playing single A opposition. A win does little since it doesn’t help your schedule strength, and a loss can drag down your QRF disproportionately.
Yeah, so build the season schedule around seeding for a Section tournament where a team still has to win three games in a week to reach the state tournament. :roll:

While your statement is accurate, let's not cloud the issue. The reason for Duluth East not playing Hermantown has not been QRF. As leader of the Hatfield clan (or are they McCoys?) the Duluth East coach doesn't want to.

Fuel's cheap so have at it as the bus passes by a logical rival for that exciting non-con game.

What if I told you that a HS coach in Florida only scheduled teams in their own class? You'd probably say that's stupid.
8A | ​7A | 6A | 5A | 4A | 3A | 2A | 1A
Be kind. Rewind.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Hunter. Everyone knows your opinion on the AA versus A issue with Hermantown. You’ve stated your opinion 1 or 2 times. I 100% agree with you and have expressed that opinion to many of my Hermantown friends. That was not my point. The fact is, playing Hermantown has had 0 negative effect for AA teams. That argument makes no sense. While I do not know 2/3 of the AA coaches personally, it certainly appears most have no issues putting them on their schedule. Whether AA coaches statewide choose to include Hermantown on their schedule is their decision not mine nor anyone else’ on this forum.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:47 pm

My point is, this.

Pick the class you want to be in which ever it is. And play in that class. If you want class AA competition. Be in class AA. Otherwise you have no business playing class AA. If someone states continually that they are class A program, well then play class A teams. It’s that simple. Call yourself what you want A or AA but then stick to what you call yourself! That’s my point!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Again. Your opinion is well known. Fact is it’s not our call. Period.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Well it is the choaches choice. So leave East alone for choosing to not play Hermantown. And I am very pleased with them standing on class AA hill saying choose a class and stick with it. And for all the class AA schools that make that choice thank you!

And class A schools who choose to play only class A thank you.

And to Hermantown choose a class and stay with it!

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:17 pm

At what point did I say anything about East? Here’s the facts. The rules allow them to play Aa teams. Many top AA teams choose to play them. regardless of what you , I or anyone else thinks. You and me and many others can cry all we want on here about them staying A. What are we accomplishing exactly?

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Previous poster did bring up East.

Why does anyone post on these sites..........
Cause we love high school hockey and want what is best for sport we love.

And thank the almighty that we live in a country that we are free to put our thoughts on a board like this.

AA teams that won’t play Hermantown. Thank you!
A teams that play only A teams thank you!
Hermantown pick a class!

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:47 pm
My point is, this.

Pick the class you want to be in which ever it is. And play in that class. If you want class AA competition. Be in class AA. Otherwise you have no business playing class AA. If someone states continually that they are class A program, well then play class A teams. It’s that simple. Call yourself what you want A or AA but then stick to what you call yourself! That’s my point!
If you think we’ll get dumber by the minute reading this drivel you may be right.

Is it your absolutely asinine made-up rule that A & AA teams can’t play each other? Admittedly very unfamiliar with MSHSL policies.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Hunters1993 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:32 pm
Hermantown pick a class!
They did.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:19 pm

Thank the almighty that we live in a country that allows people responsible for scheduling a high school activity to do as they see fit.
Be kind. Rewind.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 pm

Also thankful that a team can pick to play for the little boy trophy when they and everyone else knows that they could contend for the real trophy.

Hermantown king of the little boy hill. That’s all they ever will be!

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:12 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:36 pm
However... whether or not you believe the feud to be petty, there is now a practical incentive for 7AA teams to avoid scheduling Hermantown. Given that QRF treats Class A opponents as second-class citizens, teams are basically shooting themselves in the foot for seeding purposes by playing single A opposition. A win does little since it doesn’t help your schedule strength, and a loss can drag down your QRF disproportionately.
Yeah, so build the season schedule around seeding for a Section tournament where a team still has to win three games in a week to reach the state tournament. :roll:

While your statement is accurate, let's not cloud the issue. The reason for Duluth East not playing Hermantown has not been QRF. As leader of the Hatfield clan (or are they McCoys?) the Duluth East coach doesn't want to.

Fuel's cheap so have at it as the bus passes by a logical rival for that exciting non-con game.

What if I told you that a HS coach in Florida only scheduled teams in their own class? You'd probably say that's stupid.
8A | ​7A | 6A | 5A | 4A | 3A | 2A | 1A
Hey, don’t shoot the messenger, OTC! I am on your side of the idea of AA schools boycotting Hermantown, and think it’s silly that East has refused to play them. I was just pointing out a valid reason for the 7AA schools to not schedule high-end Class A opponents. Hermantown was ranked 15th in the final QRF, just behind Stillwater. Were there 14 teams in the state better than the Hawks? Doubtful.

You may scoff at the idea of schools scheduling to optimize their QRF, but at least one 7AA program (Forest Lake) seems to have figured out how to game the system by filling much of their non-conference slate with middling AA teams. FL has little chance of winning the section, but hosting a quarterfinal game and knocking off East were huge accomplishments for them. With the bottom of 7AA being so weak, avoiding the 4/5 and 3/6 matchups is a big incentive.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Stang, Forest Lake can play whoever they want. Nobody cares and there’s no great natural rival.

Imagine talking to an NHL scout or ECAC coach peppering you with questions about how great Minnesota HS hockey is saying they need to get to the state tournament some day to see it in person.

Oh yeah, it’s awesome! You should see the big rivalry games! Like when the Metro teams meet in sections or when Roseau plays Warroad.

“I bet! What’s that team that always wins the small school division? The one near Duluth that turns out all the good players?”

Hermantown.

“Yeah, that’s it. What happens when they play Duluth? I bet that’s insane. Must be a lotta bad blood from all those great games over the years!”

Uh, they don’t play.
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm

Is there anyone else that agrees Warroad shouldn’t play Roseau?
Be kind. Rewind.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:38 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm
The whole argument that a school should only play teams in their Class falls apart when it comes to conferences. Many have teams in both Class A and Class AA. What to do with those, disband the conferences? Yeah, good luck. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:57 pm

O-townClown wrote:
To whom are you referring in this question? I certainly did not make, or even imply such a statement, and I don’t think anyone else did, either.

I personally enjoy watching top A and AA programs meet up on the ice, and that includes Hermantown. I have been merely pointing out a quirk of the QRF rankings used for 7AA seeding, and you seem to be taking those statements way out of context and jumping down my throat for no good reason. Apparently it’s impossible to have a civilized conversation in this thread, even with one of the members of this forum whose opinions I respect most. I’m done with anything related to Hermantown, except when it comes to my weekly rankings.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:26 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:57 pm
O-townClown wrote:
To whom are you referring in this question? I certainly did not make, or even imply such a statement, and I don’t think anyone else did, either.

I personally enjoy watching top A and AA programs meet up on the ice, and that includes Hermantown. I have been merely pointing out a quirk of the QRF rankings used for 7AA seeding, and you seem to be taking those statements way out of context and jumping down my throat for no good reason. Apparently it’s impossible to have a civilized conversation in this thread, even with one of the members of this forum whose opinions I respect most. I’m done with anything related to Hermantown, except when it comes to my weekly rankings.
I think he is referring to Hunter (and some others) that have repeatedly made such statements.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:01 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:23 pm
Stang, Forest Lake can play whoever they want. Nobody cares and there’s no great natural rival.

Imagine talking to an NHL scout or ECAC coach peppering you with questions about how great Minnesota HS hockey is saying they need to get to the state tournament some day to see it in person.

Oh yeah, it’s awesome! You should see the big rivalry games! Like when the Metro teams meet in sections or when Roseau plays Warroad.

“I bet! What’s that team that always wins the small school division? The one near Duluth that turns out all the good players?”

Hermantown.

“Yeah, that’s it. What happens when they play Duluth? I bet that’s insane. Must be a lotta bad blood from all those great games over the years!”

Uh, they don’t play.
Do the NHL Scouts ask you what happens when Edina, EP, Minnetonka and Wayzata play Mahtomedi every year? That could be a hell of a rivalry!! Top Metro A team against top Metro AA teams. Why won’t those teams make it happen?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:01 pm
Do the NHL Scouts ask you what happens when Edina, EP, Minnetonka and Wayzata play Mahtomedi every year? That could be a hell of a rivalry!! Top Metro A team against top Metro AA teams. Why won’t those teams make it happen?
Why would they, Mahtomedi plays their natural geographic rivals Stillwater and Hill-Murray. Great games. Give the teams in the SW suburbs a strong Class A opponent and they'll play them too...evidenced by Edina girls facing Blake in the past and now Breck.

It really is hard to take anyone seriously that tries to defend Duluth East not playing Hermantown because the reasons thrown out get more stoopid by the day.

How hard is it to say, "they don't play. The coach thinks he's taking a high road. I can see both sides."?

I certainly don't expect anyone else to see the world the way I do, but when people have to lie to themselves to stay in their camp it's pathetic.

Lechner isn't embarrassed to play the Zephyrs. It is a hell of a rivalry.
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:32 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:01 pm
Why would they, Mahtomedi plays their natural geographic rivals Stillwater and Hill-Murray. Great games. Give the teams in the SW suburbs a strong Class A opponent and they'll play them too...evidenced by Edina girls facing Blake in the past and now Breck.

It really is hard to take anyone seriously that tries to defend Duluth East not playing Hermantown because the reasons thrown out get more stoopid by the day.

How hard is it to say, "they don't play. The coach thinks he's taking a high road. I can see both sides."?

I certainly don't expect anyone else to see the world the way I do, but when people have to lie to themselves to stay in their camp it's pathetic.

Lechner isn't embarrassed to play the Zephyrs. It is a hell of a rivalry.
Okay, so Eden Prairie can schedule Brainerd, Moorhead, East and Cloquet, but not Mahtomedi, because they aren’t in the SW Suburbs. Got it.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm
Okay, so Eden Prairie can schedule Brainerd, Moorhead, East and Cloquet, but not Mahtomedi, because they aren’t in the SW Suburbs. Got it.

You obviously don't got nothing. They can schedule Mahtomedi. Lee Smith isn't a PLEASE BAN ME, takes on all comers, and has a track record that shows the Eagles will play anyone. How in the hell do you arrive at the conclusion they aren't able to schedule Mahtomedi?
Be kind. Rewind.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:09 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm

You obviously don't got nothing. They can schedule Mahtomedi. Lee Smith isn't a PLEASE BAN ME, takes on all comers, and has a track record that shows the Eagles will play anyone. How in the hell do you arrive at the conclusion they aren't able to schedule Mahtomedi?
You said it. “Give the teams in the SW suburbs a strong Class A opponent and they'll play them too.”

They have one, 30 minutes away. State Semis last year and Champions this year. Why aren’t they scheduling them?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Dude, there is no good Class A team in SW suburbs. Grab a map. SW Christian Academy? Yeah. Have them play Chaska. That exciting Providence-Wayzata matchup? What are you wrangling for, Kennedy-Edina?

Mahtomedi is in no way, shape, or form a rival of any team is the SW suburbs.

Don’t hurt yourself craning your neck.
Be kind. Rewind.