The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by TheNightman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am
TheNightman wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am
icetime3 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 am
Does anyone have a list of all of the high school team in the state who currently qualify for single A based on enrollment but choose to opt up to AA playoffs? Thanks.
It's mostly private schools, but Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Roseau are the publics that come to mind.
I think also: Bemidji, Totino, BSM, STA, Blake, HF, Duluth Marshall. Gentry next season.
Is Gentry moving up to AA next year a 100% sure thing? Not questioning just curious if it's been confirmed or is speculation based on past comments.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:02 pm

TheNightman wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm
rainier2 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

It's mostly private schools, but Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Roseau are the publics that come to mind.
I think also: Bemidji, Totino, BSM, STA, Blake, HF, Duluth Marshall. Gentry next season.
Is Gentry moving up to AA next year a 100% sure thing? Not questioning just curious if it's been confirmed or is speculation based on past comments.
Someone had posted it, so I can't say if it's 100% true.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:10 pm

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned yet that both the Hermantown BAA and PWAA teams are in state. Homegrown talent, baby! :wink:

Simple

Post by Simple » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:28 pm

With the bantam goalie a transfer from Hibbing.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:10 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:10 pm
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned yet that both the Hermantown BAA and PWAA teams are in state. Homegrown talent, baby! :wink:
StanleyCup55 posted this on the previous page: "Their Bantam AA and Pee Wee AA teams are cleaning up at regions and will be at state playing with the big boys. Then once they get to high school they will sandbag and play Litchfield-Dassel Kokato in the first round at state. Lol"

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Simple wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:28 pm
With the bantam goalie a transfer from Hibbing.
Hibbing's sophomore goalie had a .935 sv% against teams other than Hermantown this season, so I'd imagine the goalie that transferred would have had a tough time getting playing time before his senior year.

Goalie does seem to be the one spot that Hermantown has had difficulty developing. Hawks get a solid goalie to fill a need, and the kid gets to play, everybody wins. The only annoying part will be Hermantown bobos claiming they "developed" him when the absolutely loaded team goes 25-0 in HS. #-o

arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:19 pm
rainier2 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

Add CDH and HM, and I believe that is the complete list.
AHA

rainier

Post by rainier » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:50 am

So I see Hermantown has East's former goalie.

Anybody know what other free agents they were able to acquire this offseason?
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm

rainier wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:50 am

Believe he's the only one. The rest of the fallout from the East kids ended up at GR and Northstar, I believe....

Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am

headsupsticksdown wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm
rainier wrote:

Believe he's the only one. The rest of the fallout from the East kids ended up at GR and Northstar, I believe....
I only count 9 transfers on their Roster this year, including the top two Goalies. Most came in Youth. That’s typically about what they have. Maybe a few more on the two Championship teams.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:20 am

Rails Hockey wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am
headsupsticksdown wrote:
rainier wrote:

I only count 9 transfers on their Roster this year, including the top two Goalies. Most came in Youth. That’s typically about what they have. Maybe a few more on the two Championship teams.
Thanks for the intel. Surprised they didn't pick up a few more older free agents for this group over the past few years.

Should be another fun season of watching Hermantown play a mostly AA schedule, beat the eventual AA champ, and then win their first five playoff games 75-0 before maybe getting a challenge in the title game.

These kids went 79-16-2 in two years of AA bantams, against a schedule as difficult as any in the state. Now they get to varsity and for the first time in their hockey lives will play against Class A teams.

The HS decision-makers continue to do the players a disservice by not allowing them to compete against appropriate competition after all the success they've had over the years in AA. :oops:

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am

Rails Hockey wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 am
headsupsticksdown wrote:
rainier wrote:

I remember a social media post from Hermantown hockey last year. It was about Joey Pierce, and it was to the effect of "Joey is what Hermantown Hockey is all about!!!" I immediately thought: "This is insane, even for Hermantown. That kid was already a full-grown, sure-fire D1 prospect when he first put on a Hawk jersey at the ripe old age of 15. There are cans of nacho cheese sauce in the concession stand that have spent more time in the Hermantown program than he did."

But then I realized, wait, no, he is exactly what Hermantown Hockey is all about : Collecting players that are already great, then claiming them to be further proof of the superiority of your program's ability to develop. :D

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 pm

While I continue to agree they should be AA and have expressed that many times to powers to be , I also feel some comments are not fair. A vast majority of the players going back 15 years who have played or will pay D1 hockey have gone to school and played hockey in their program pretty much from the onset.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 pm

Getitright wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 pm
While I continue to agree they should be AA and have expressed that many times to powers to be , I also feel some comments are not fair. A vast majority of the players going back 15 years who have played or will pay D1 hockey have gone to school and played hockey in their program pretty much from the onset.
Fair enough, I'd agree the majority are actually from Hermantown, I disagree that the "vast majority" are. Off the top of my head:

Herm D1 live in-and-play talent: Thomas, Kolquist, Pionk, Koepke, Sandelin, Jacques, Plante, Hanson

Outside D1 talent: Skrbich, Gotz, Gotz, Samberg, Aamodt, Watkins, Pierce

Plus very good outside talent such as: Judnick, Kilen, Kramer, Callaway, Lund, Antcliff

Again, take away outside talent, and Hermantown is still a very good program, but not the juggernaut they are now. The only problem I have with their talent-collecting habits is that they do it in A, not AA.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Samberg and Aamodt never went to school or played anywhere but Hermantown. They are as much Hermantown as anyone.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:51 pm

Question I was discussing with a friend yesterday: if Hermantown hadn’t become the hockey destination that it is, would East still be struggling to the same extent? I understand there are other reasons for young families to move to Hermantown rather than Duluth, but it seems like the trajectories of the respective programs are linked, since there is only so much talent to go around in the area. 10 to 15 years ago there was plenty of talent to stock East, Marshall, and Hermantown (less so Denfeld), but it seems those days are a distant memory.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 pm

Also add both Krause boys, Leblanc, Huttel.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Biondi

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Getitright wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm
Samberg and Aamodt never went to school or played anywhere but Hermantown. They are as much Hermantown as anyone.
Both lived in Proctor.

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Getitright wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 pm
Also add both Krause boys, Leblanc, Huttel.
Not going back that far. It's generally accepted that the transfer era in Hermantown started with Skrbich, so around 2010-ish.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:36 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Question I was discussing with a friend yesterday: if Hermantown hadn’t become the hockey destination that it is, would East still be struggling to the same extent? I understand there are other reasons for young families to move to Hermantown rather than Duluth, but it seems like the trajectories of the respective programs are linked, since there is only so much talent to go around in the area. 10 to 15 years ago there was plenty of talent to stock East, Marshall, and Hermantown (less so Denfeld), but it seems those days are a distant memory.
I think to some extent that Hermantown’s rise is related to East’s Decline. Hermantown has drawn talent from other places. While some of that talent may have played for East, some likely would have stayed home or found other programs. Hermantown deserves credit for developing talent, especially with their offseason programs and influence.
The East program and DAHA also need to have some accountability in not keeping up or taking the steps need to be a top program.
Finally, I think the ever increasing requirements to be an upper tier program has hit East like it has many other out-state programs.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm

They lived in pike lake and twig. Never set foot in a school in proctor. Never skated in proctor arena other than with a Hermantown jersey on. They have both been life long members of the Hermantown community. If you know there story, samberg dad never played hockey and Aamodt never played beyond jv. Point is they did not enroll in Hermantown school because of the hockey program. Neither is a byproduct of another associations development. While there are stories of moves directly due to hockey after having started elsewhere (ie gocz brothers, Pierce , and to a less extent Watkins), these two guys are Hermantown thru and thru.

rainier

Post by rainier » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Getitright wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:59 pm
They lived in pike lake and twig. Never set foot in a school in proctor. Never skated in proctor arena other than with a Hermantown jersey on. They have both been life long members of the Hermantown community. If you know there story, samberg dad never played hockey and Aamodt never played beyond jv. Point is they did not enroll in Hermantown school because of the hockey program. Neither is a byproduct of another associations development. While there are stories of moves directly due to hockey after having started elsewhere (ie gocz brothers, Pierce , and to a less extent Watkins), these two guys are Hermantown thru and thru.
Ok, understood. But, these players are technically open enrollees, and my point has always been "how good would Hermantown be without transfers and open enrollees?" For most community teams, transfers and open enrollment play a tiny role in the fortunes of their programs, yet it is huge for Hermantown. I think it is important to continually keep that in mind when people are comparing other A schools to Hermantown, and to not expect Hermantown's model as the standard for other A programs to aspire to.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:34 pm

74 page thread and still going strong ! Well done boys !

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:35 pm

rainier wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm
For most community teams, transfers and open enrollment play a tiny role in the fortunes of their programs, yet it is huge for Hermantown.
For all community teams the additions and subtraction at HS level plays a massive role. Not tiny at all. Departures to Midget/Junior hockey, private schools, open enrollment, and kids moving in/out. Huge all the way around.
Be kind. Rewind.