The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by ClassAGuy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:36 pm

This was an article written last year by legacy.com before Duluth East played Hermantown for the 1st time in forever due to COVID. Some pretty telling Statements from both Coaches.

Hockey fans geeked out about the renewal of the series between Hermantown and Duluth East should be advised to savor every second of the northern Minnesota powerhouses’ two games this season.

Because that’s all they are going to get for the foreseeable future.

“We have 24 of our 25 games set already on our schedule for next year,” Duluth East coach Mike Randolph said. “They are not on it.”

“They” would be Hermantown, Duluth East’s opponent tonight at the Heritage Sports Center. Barring unforeseen circumstances — such as, say, a lingering global pandemic — the Hawks will not make an appearance on the Greyhounds’ schedule next year, the year after or the year after that. Or any year Randolph, in his 32nd season coaching the Greyhounds, remains in control of East’s storied program.

Randolph believes Hermantown, which competes for the Class 1A state title, has built what is, in effect, a Class 2A program. He says it would benefit high school hockey to have the Hawks opt up to play in the big-school playoffs, as many high-end northern Minnesota high schools do, thus opening the door for smaller programs with once-in-a-decade teams to reach the the state tournament (Hermantown has won six of the last seven Section 7A titles).

“They play double-A in youth hockey,” Randolph said. “They play a double-A schedule in high school hockey, then they go A come playoff time. And shellack everybody.”

School districts around the state have imposed travel restrictions on their athletic teams because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Duluth East was forced to slash most of its annual trips to the Twin Cities to face Class 2A competition. Hermantown had to cut most of its road trips, too.

Given the circumstances, and both teams’ desire to play the best competition available, both Randolph and Hermantown coach Pat Andrews welcomed the opportunity to have their teams play each other, thus renewing the decades-dormant series northland hockey fans have been so hungry to see.

How hungry? A petition for the game to be played was created on the online platform change.org and directed at Duluth East activities director Shawn Roed. Multiple columns imploring the two schools to give fans the event they so crave have been written in the Duluth News Tribune over the years. All to no avail, until this year.

Tonight's game should be highly competitive. Hermantown is 8-0-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class 1A. The Hawks feature the state's leading scorer in sophomore sensation Zam Plante and a leading Mr. Hockey candidate in bruising, high-scoring defenseman Joey Pierce. Duluth East is off to a 4-1-1 start and led by sophomore Cole Christian's 10 points.

“I think it will be fun,” said Andrews, a former Hawks player in his fourth season as head coach. “At the end of the day, it is just another game. The broader hockey community is way more excited than us, I think. People have wanted to see this game for years.”

Andrews, like legendary Hermantown coach Bruce Plante before him, has issued a standing request to Randolph to resume the series that ended after Hermantown’s 4-2 triumph on Jan, 28, 1999 — the Hawks’ first and only win over the Greyhounds.

Randolph counters with a standing reply: “Bruce Plante for years, until he gave up on asking me, would say, ‘Can we play you guys?’ ” Randolph said. “I said, ‘For sure, come on up to double-A. I’ll schedule you the next day. I told Andrews the same thing.

“I just feel they belong in (Section 7AA). We would have one more northern team in our section that can represent the northern part of the state.”

A Hermantown move up to Class 2A doesn't appear imminent.

“We’re OK with the status quo,” Andrews said last year before the state tournament. “Everyone pushing so hard to catch us in our section, the teams are becoming so much better.”

The Pat Andrews comment at the end is beyond a Brutal Statement wonder if he will say the same this year after pounding 7A 30-0 in the Sectional..... Randolph while has his own things really spot on...

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:57 pm

ClassAGuy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:36 pm

“We’re OK with the status quo,” Andrews said last year before the state tournament. “Everyone pushing so hard to catch us in our section, the teams are becoming so much better.”[/b]

The Pat Andrews comment at the end is beyond a Brutal Statement wonder if he will say the same this year after pounding 7A 30-0 in the Sectional..... Randolph while has his own things really spot on...
Wow, thanks for posting. Hadn't seen this before.

Agree completely with your take at the end. This is one of my questions when people say "your program needs to get better!". How good are 7A schools supposed to get? To be on par with Hermantown, they'd need to be able to compete with the very best in AA every year. No community school can do that. Not Roseau, not Warroad, not even GR, who isn't too far from having a AA enrollment and recently won a AA title, for cripes' sake. Community schools are at the mercy of talent cycles, no matter how good their program is.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 pm

I just don't get why there hasn't been a revolt by the players. They know they can play with the best in AA. They beat the #1 seed at the AA tourney 4-1! And they lost by a goal to the #2 seed in a game where Zam didn't even play!

They should be out front of the AD's office chanting "Let us play! Double A!" [-(

headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 pm
I just don't get why there hasn't been a revolt by the players. They know they can play with the best in AA. They beat the #1 seed at the AA tourney 4-1! And they lost by a goal to the #2 seed in a game where Zam didn't even play!

They should be out front of the AD's office chanting "Let us play! Double A!" [-(
The kids could care less, they just want to play. It’s the supposed adults in the conversation that are the issue, as it often is. Again, let’s hope Andrews finally pulls through so he can see the light.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:53 am

headsupsticksdown wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:54 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:13 pm

The kids could care less, they just want to play. It’s the supposed adults in the conversation that are the issue, as it often is. Again, let’s hope Andrews finally pulls through so he can see the light.
How about, let’s hope they don’t. Hopefully New Prague plays a physical style and punches them in the mouth. Wear them down a little, Alexandria or MPLS a little more and Warroad to finish them off.

Getitright

Post by Getitright » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:21 am

Appears Hermantown has less love in northern MN than the golden rodents who, despite all of their built in advantages, haven’t won anything in 30 years and at best have been the 4th best team in Minnesota over the past 10 years.

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:34 am

Getitright wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:21 am
Appears Hermantown has less love in northern MN than the golden rodents who, despite all of their built in advantages, haven’t won anything in 30 years and at best have been the 4th best team in Minnesota over the past 10 years.
:lol:

bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:19 am

Move up or move on. Hermantown bitched with the rest of us when St. Thomas dominated Class A and they moved up. It's like reverse sandbagging. The Hawks play a predominate AA schedule during the season then step down and play the Class A Tourney. Being a 25+ Bronco fan in dire need of a tourney appearance, I pulled for Hermantown against The Tommies at the "X". I hope The Warriors and Hawks are in the championship game this year and Warroad wins, but if Hermantown wins, that would put the issue over the top to move up. Going down tomorrow for the duration. Go 218Hockey.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:46 am

Hermantown will relax and watch the big boys play some hockey today. Any game could go either way. Much more fun to watch than play. I think I get why they stay single A now. I also wouldn’t want to miss the best of MN hockey on tv.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm

Now that Junior Class heavy team has won the title the question becomes do they all come back next year?

YHH says NO on Zam Plante & Ty Hanson and I have nothing but respect for their sources.

Even minus those two they are still a great team next year.

But IF they stay wow what a group.

Both Plante & Hanson are UMD recruits recently (Pierce, Biondi And Gotz) all stayed their Senior year. Will Zam and Hanson continue the trend?

Again I have no idea just was kind surprised to hear Karl and Tony say they were gone when history with that college team and HS Program says otherwise.

Another year for the Plante Brothers to play together...... Both Hanson and Plante could do before and after... Very similiar to the 2017 group of Samberg, Sandelin and Jasques all stuck around to go back to back....

If they stick which I have no idea on man they would maybe be the best Hawks version.... maybe EVER???

Fun offseason talk in Class A puck

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:51 pm

They could be the best team in the state regardless of class if everyone is back.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:30 am

Saw that Zam got a team USA invite. Will be tough to turn that down.

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:43 am

StanleyCup55 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:30 am
Saw that Zam got a team USA invite. Will be tough to turn that down.
You mean Max did.

Zam already turned down the USA Program.

Again I have no idea if Zam will be back but I know the USA Program is not the draw in Hermantown it is other places. Biondi turned it down a few years back to play for the Hawks.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Might the new Htown AD Alex White be more interested at some point in moving up and winning an AA title ?🤔