The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Yoopskater

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Yoopskater » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am

I still say, it is either all right or all wrong to ‘recruit’ players in high school. Hermantown is doing what SCC and Greenway and others do (or have done). Either they are all losers or none of them are. Where do you draw the line?

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:37 am

Yoopskater wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am
I still say, it is either all right or all wrong to ‘recruit’ players in high school. Hermantown is doing what SCC and Greenway and others do (or have done). Either they are all losers or none of them are. Where do you draw the line?
MSHSL opened that pandora's box woth "open enrollment". Hermantown just takes it to level of the absurd by claiming little school status and trophy chasing.

xy

Post by xy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:14 pm

The MSHSL didn't create open enrollment; that primarily came from Gov. Rudy Perpich 30 years ago. Once that became the law it's hard to see what the MSHSL could have done. Barring everybody who open enrolls from athletics to prevent problems in high-profile sports would have victimized thousands of kids who are just having fun playing a sport with their friends at the high school they attend. The transfer rules are an attempt to address some of the problems that were created.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:28 pm

xy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:14 pm
The MSHSL didn't create open enrollment; that primarily came from Gov. Rudy Perpich 30 years ago. Once that became the law it's hard to see what the MSHSL could have done. Barring everybody who open enrolls from athletics to prevent problems in high-profile sports would have victimized thousands of kids who are just having fun playing a sport with their friends at the high school they attend. The transfer rules are an attempt to address some of the problems that were created.
Thanks for correction on ol Rudy Perpich, there is some irony :wink:

victimized? #-o

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:33 pm

You think they could maybe institute the NCAA rule where you sit out a year if you transfer? Or would that be too harsh on these poor innocent little kids?

xy

Post by xy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm

They do have that rule if you transfer after 9th grade (although interestingly, the NCAA is actually in the process of weakening, and may do away with, the rule about sitting out a year).

Focusing on high-profile hockey players loses sight of the many other kids who are just playing a sport during high school out of the spotlight and for fun. Many kids open enroll, for many different reasons, and the vast majority of them are not high-level athletes. Limiting their opportunities to take part in high school sports through an overbroad rule that attempts to combat excesses by a few in basketball and hockey doesn't seem like the best policy.

xy

Post by xy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:46 pm

"Victimized" might have been an imprecise word, but this is the example I have in mind: a kid who changes school districts for entirely non-athletic reasons, and who is what we might call a "recreational" athlete - no expectation of playing in college, just playing sports for fun. Any broad rule limiting athletic eligibility for open enrollees would affect literally thousands of kids like that. My point is only that any broad attempt by the MSHSL to combat the excesses by barring open enrolees would impact a great many kids of the kind I described, which they don't want to do.

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:55 pm

It’s not that difficult to see which ones are transferring for the sport and which ones are transferring for academics

Where is F3?

Post by Where is F3? » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Let's stop acting like the MSHSL makes decisions based on "what's good for kids".

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 pm

I probably won't even watch their games in the state tourney. From previous post..........

What would happen if all the fans who have had enough of Hermantown hockey all do “something” during their games at the X in unison during their games?

All turn around and boo at the start of the period of every game they play in,

Use flashlights on their phones at the start of each period and boo,

Thoughts fans?
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 pm

All wear the color of the opponent?

Or everyone could bring a AA battery and hold it up to start periods.

Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm

What if there was no moving up a class, what if all schools had to play where their enrollment dictates. That would put CEC and Grand Rapids in 7A. Then some of the kids(or should I say parents) couldn't just pick up and move to H-town aka Lake Superior Stars high school team for a 99.8% chance of going to state tournament. This would make 7A more competitive and maybe it wouldn't be as much of a guaranteed trip to the x. Might of been Rapids this year. Other sports don't have move ups. What do you guys think. 8A Roseau, Warroad EGF section would be awesome also.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm
What if there was no moving up a class, what if all schools had to play where their enrollment dictates. That would put CEC and Grand Rapids in 7A. Then some of the kids(or should I say parents) couldn't just pick up and move to H-town aka Lake Superior Stars high school team for a 99.8% chance of going to state tournament. This would make 7A more competitive and maybe it wouldn't be as much of a guaranteed trip to the x. Might of been Rapids this year. Other sports don't have move ups. What do you guys think. 8A Roseau, Warroad EGF section would be awesome also.
Pretty sure all sports in mshsl have move ups, see Totino Grace football for example. What would happen in this scenario is that everyone would revert to complaining about all of the private schools.. alongvwhith pointing fingers at the successful publics in class A. Whomever from 7 whent to state this year in that scenario would inevitably get to play Hill or STA or Blake.....no one would say a thing would they???
Really all that would happen is that AA would be a big public school league..
Otter Hockey Rocks

Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Where is F3? wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:58 pm
Let's stop acting like the MSHSL makes decisions based on "what's good for kids".
No truer words have ever been typed!!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Where is F3? wrote:
SHOW ME the $$$$ :lol: :lol: :lol:

defense

Post by defense » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Where is F3? wrote:
What theory do you have their decision making??
Otter Hockey Rocks

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am

I've come to the conclusion that Plante is the biggest problem, even more so than the privates, because he complained about the advantages the privates have, but refuses to move up himself. I believe if Hermantown makes it to the final it will be their 10th appearance.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:40 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am
I've come to the conclusion that Plante is the biggest problem, even more so than the privates, because he complained about the advantages the privates have, but refuses to move up himself. I believe if Hermantown makes it to the final it will be their 10th appearance.
Plante retired three years ago. It’s Beth Clark and Pat Andrews that won’t move up. They’re worried that their pipeline of recruits will dry up and stop coming if they don’t have a guaranteed trip to state. The recruits are the reason they are the top team in Class A every year.

Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:51 am

Exactly why we should have signs that read
Herm(Ely, Denfeld,Virginia, Hayward)antown

Or just have a sign with Virginia logo, Denfeld logo, etc at the X when they play. Acknowledge where the talent is from not where the talent transferred.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:40 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:17 am
Plante retired three years ago. It’s Beth Clark and Pat Andrews that won’t move up. They’re worried that their pipeline of recruits will dry up and stop coming if they don’t have a guaranteed trip to state. The recruits are the reason they are the top team in Class A every year.
But wasn't Plante in 8 or 9 finals by the time he retired?
I can splash in the rink puddles!

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm

HT PWAA team didn’t make it to state so good for another decade at HS playing A

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm
HT PWAA team didn’t make it to state so good for another decade at HS playing A
Their BantamAA squad will be a high seed to win the BantamAA state tournament this year. PeeweeAA team has a couple years of recruiting left before singleA high school hockey region and state tournament. I wonder if their Youth AA teams would dominate in youth regions and state if they were single instead of AA.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Yoopskater wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am
You do realize that every student in every desk at SCC is “recruited” right?

doghockey

Post by doghockey » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm

It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 pm

doghockey wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:40 pm
It never gets old watching the wannabe hockey purists whine about St.Thomas. And Blake. And Breck. And Hermantown. Eventually you crabby folks will get your way and there will be no talent in A hockey. Then you will undoubtedly have another thread complaining about the boring A tournament and how nobody shows up to watch the un-epic Dodge County-Pine City games.
People enjoy parity, not just overall talent level of teams. If you truly want to just watch hockey talent, then why are you wasting your time watching HS hockey at all? You should be watching the NAHL, no wait, the USHL, no wait, NCAA D3, no wait, NCAA D1, no wait, the AHL, no wait, the Olympics, no wait, the NHL, no wait, the NHL All-Star game. Finally, we got it! If you're only concern is watching the top talent play, then you should watch the NHL All-Star game on a loop, 24 hours a day. :D

Parity is what most people want to see. We have it in AA, where any team could make a run to the title and lower seeds actually win games at state. Just wanna see the same at the A level.