The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnmouth

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by mnmouth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:25 pm

Puck8 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:55 am
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am
something made plain by Gentry having an incredible team with an enrollment of only 54 kids!!!
Umm...Good example of how bad data that starts somewhere just carries through as fact. Probably doesn’t change the impression of those who see Gentry as an evil-doer, but enrollment is closer to 300. But why let facts muddy up the waters of opinion? Tip of the iceberg of the bad info that I’ve seen “out there”, but that’s a whole different discussion.

OK - resume whatever it is you were on the brink of solving.
Gentry enrollment listed at 109 below and that's for grades 5-12. Very difficult to find confirmation of this anywhere. Perhaps you can update with more specific and accurate information, Puck8?

Gentry Academy - School Profile (Private School)
School Directory Information
(2017-2018 school year)
GENTRY ACADEMY

Physical Address:
1420 COUNTY ROAD E E
ARDEN HILLS, MN 55110-

Phone: (651) 604-8300

County: Anoka
See All Schools In Anoka County

School Characteristics
Grade Span: (grades 1 - 12)
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Total Students: 109

Classroom Teachers (FTE): 9
Student/Teacher Ratio: 12.4

Student Body: Coed
Level: Mixed Grades
Type: Regular Schools
Days in Year: 170
Hours in Day: 7
Library: Yes

Affiliation: Other, Unclassified or Unknown

Enrollment Characteristics

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Puck8 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:55 am
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am
something made plain by Gentry having an incredible team with an enrollment of only 54 kids!!!
Umm...Good example of how bad data that starts somewhere just carries through as fact. Probably doesn’t change the impression of those who see Gentry as an evil-doer, but enrollment is closer to 300. But why let facts muddy up the waters of opinion? Tip of the iceberg of the bad info that I’ve seen “out there”, but that’s a whole different discussion.

OK - resume whatever it is you were on the brink of solving.
You must have some really good, super secret data, because all I have are the official MSHSL enrollment numbers for 19-20 and 20-21.

https://old.mshsl.org/mshsl/news/csp%20 ... 020-21.pdf

Scroll down the PDF and it says "Gentry Academy 54"

What was that you were saying about "bad data that starts somewhere just carries through as fact"?

And as far as what I'm solving, I'm just following Bruce Plante's lead. His whining got STA, Blake, HF, TG, and Gentry to opt up. But he had the advantage of doing his whining in front of TV cameras after the state A title games, or to newspaper reporters, or to other media outlets. All I have is this forum, while a wonderful place to discuss these issues, doesn't quite have the reach that Bruce had. But I'll keep trying.

But, for argument's sake, let's say your evidence-free assertion that Gentry has 300 students is correct. Ok, then my response is "Holy crap! Look what Gentry can do with less than half of the enrollment of Hermantown!!! Now that is some serious development!!!!" :D

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Getitright wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am
Circling back to the Joey pierce question. Missed the last half of the 1st denfeld game and don’t think he played last night. Anyone hear anything?
All I know is that he had a walking-boot and was using a crutch on the bench Thursday (2/25) night.

Puck8

Post by Puck8 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm
[
You must have some really good, super secret data, because all I have are the official MSHSL enrollment numbers for 19-20 and 20-21.

What was that you were saying about "bad data that starts somewhere just carries through as fact"?

And as far as what I'm solving, I'm just following Bruce Plante's lead. His whining got STA, Blake, HF, TG, and Gentry to opt up. But he had the advantage of doing his whining in front of TV cameras after the state A title games, or to newspaper reporters, or to other media outlets. All I have is this forum, while a wonderful place to discuss these issues, doesn't quite have the reach that Bruce had. But I'll keep trying.

But, for argument's sake, let's say your evidence-free assertion that Gentry has 300 students is correct. Ok, then my response is "Holy crap! Look what Gentry can do with less than half of the enrollment of Hermantown!!! Now that is some serious development!!!!" :D
Yes - I get my data from the same super-secret place that you get the info that tells you that Bruce Plante’s whining is influencing Gentry’s decision to opt up.

The number of high schoolers is more than 54 (less than my quote of ~300 as I was responding in the context of the school as a whole) but not enough more to change any impressions here. The 2 teams combined are more than that and there are students who do not play hockey ( :shock: ). I have no idea how/when the data is compiled so there certainly could be a mis-alignment there. The data further above that states 109 total students is 3 years old and before becoming a charter. Again, it’s probably quibbling and there are plenty of other larger inaccuracies out there about the school.

There’s a thread for Gentry discussion so let’s get back to the regularly scheduled angst against Hermantown.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:57 am

Puck8 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm
[

Yes - I get my data from the same super-secret place that you get the info that tells you that Bruce Plante’s whining is influencing Gentry’s decision to opt up.

The number of high schoolers is more than 54 (less than my quote of ~300 as I was responding in the context of the school as a whole) but not enough more to change any impressions here. The 2 teams combined are more than that and there are students who do not play hockey ( :shock: ). I have no idea how/when the data is compiled so there certainly could be a mis-alignment there. The data further above that states 109 total students is 3 years old and before becoming a charter. Again, it’s probably quibbling and there are plenty of other larger inaccuracies out there about the school.

There’s a thread for Gentry discussion so let’s get back to the regularly scheduled angst against Hermantown.
You're absolutely correct, Puck8. There is a Gentry thread. Then please post in the Gentry thread where you are getting your enrollment information for that school. I cannot find it.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:33 pm

If Hermantown doesn’t opt up to AA for the next 2 year cycle, they literally NEVER will. To say the HT school administration is SHAMELESS is a gigantic understatement...so I’m not holding my breath ☝️

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 am

GoldenBear wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm
Like Game Stop, I see this thread running!....enjoy the ride. GB
I never thought I'd see the day Hermantown would replace STA as the kings of stockpiling. :?

I know it's a pipe dream but long for single class. '91 was the end. I enjoyed consolation play.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:12 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:15 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 am
Wet Paint wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 am

In the end the QRF score is just a score. YOu still have to beat everybody in your section and then if/when you move onto state you have to win all of your games. What better way to find out how your team is than by taking on one of the top AA teams in the state? All areas of your game are tested. If you win or lose on the scoreboard is not really a big deal, you got a chance to see your team up against one of the best that can be put together from around northern mn and out of state to see what needs to be worked on before the games matter. AA teams are crazy not to schedule them.
You're missing the point. The point is that if 'everyone' or 'the vast majority' of people in the state feel Hermantown should be AA, then there's a simple solution: AA teams outside their conference shouldn't schedule them. But I guess 'everyone' or 'the vast majority' don't include decision-makers or influential folks in AA that have the power to put a hurt on Hermantown's ability to essentially only play A at the high school level.
It's not up to AA programs to 'force' Hermantown into AA. Those programs couldn't care less and why should they? They're looking to schedule a quality opponent to challenge their own team not to be social justice warriors. None of which has anything to do with Hermantown continually choosing to hide their program once it becomes playoff time.
We’ll find out soon how it works out for Rapids. Rapids and Andover neck and neck in QRF entering the stretch run. Rapids with a 1.2 lead. They have to win the rematch with Hermantown or they will take another big hit with probably no way to recover it. Not enough high ranking AA teams left on their schedule and one more A team which won’t provide much boost. Not sure a win at Wayzata will be enough. This assuming Andover holds serve against Centennial and Blaine and loses to Maple Grove. With no neutral sites this year, that could be huge. Big difference between hosting a win or go home at IRA then traveling to Andover’s home rink.

Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Schotzy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Getitright wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 am
Circling back to the Joey pierce question. Missed the last half of the 1st denfeld game and don’t think he played last night. Anyone hear anything?
All I know is that he had a walking-boot and was using a crutch on the bench Thursday (2/25) night.
Didnt see him skate any shifts tonite. Anyone know how long till he's able to go?
It is what it is!

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Redemption is sweet. The Sandbaggers couldn't even muster half of their average goals per game. Must be nice playing the Eveleths and Virginia's of the world all the time (no offense Eveleth and Virginia).
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 pm

north_bear wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 pm
Redemption is sweet. The Sandbaggers couldn't even muster half of their average goals per game. Must be nice playing the Eveleths and Virginia's of the world all the time (no offense Eveleth and Virginia).
Thanks a lot, GR. This loss just bought Hermantown another decade of "Class A is where we belong!" sandbagging. :D

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 pm

Yeah, I think this pretty clearly points out that a small school like h-town is not ready to play big-boy hockey. The thing I find puzzling is why people think good players from elsewhere would choose to go play little-boy hockey when they could stay home and do that, or move to one of the schools trying to compete at the highest level. Oh well, on to more important things than hermantown.
p.s. - Can we agree to not capitalize hermantown as long as they are a lowercase school?
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:42 pm

I'll throw a few thoughts into this thread- I disagree that Hermantown isn't ready for AA hockey based on last nights game. While it was a very good win for GR against a very talented opponent the game was, like the East game a couple nights prior, very much anybody's game until very late. Not exactly a terrible loss for the Hawks.

I believe GR is good enough to win the state tournament. I also would not be shocked if they were not able to get out of the section 7 tournament. Disappointed for sure but not shocked. There will be some great games played in sections as usual.

Rapids, East, and Cloquet could all play A hockey if they chose. While they would all be strong contenders there none of the three would be a shoe in to win 7A. That is just reality.

I know most people are assuming a Gentry/ Hermantown final. And that could well be. For what it's worth I think Warroad will be the A Champ this year.

I've always thought the difference between the top AA schools and top A schools was smaller than most think. I haven't seen anything this year to change my perception.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:42 pm
Rapids, East, and Cloquet could all play A hockey if they chose. While they would all be strong contenders there none of the three would be a shoe in to win 7A. That is just reality.
Not that it invalidates any of your other points, but East is AA by enrollment and does not opt up. Their MSHSL enrollment figure of 1363 is over 100 more than the largest A team, Sibley (1238).

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Thank you Stang. I thought I saw on here a few years back that they were opting up.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm
Thank you Stang. I thought I saw on here a few years back that they were opting up.
That was true prior to the closure of Duluth Central, but has not been the case for about a decade now.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
That was true prior to the closure of Duluth Central, but has not been the case for about a decade now.
Did not know this. Very interesting. How many years was East eligible to play Class A?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm
karl(east) wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Did not know this. Very interesting. How many years was East eligible to play Class A?
When you are my age a decade seems like last week. :)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:16 pm

rainier2 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Not entirely sure, but it was definitely true in my high school days in the late 00s. Enrollment was about 1,200 at the time (and significantly lower at the other two Duluth public high schools).

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:34 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:16 pm
rainier2 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

Not entirely sure, but it was definitely true in my high school days in the late 00s. Enrollment was about 1,200 at the time (and significantly lower at the other two Duluth public high schools).
That blows my mind. :shock:

Is this the root of the Randolph "not rewarding Hermantown with games" stance? Because East also could have been raking in some A hardware if they'd wanted to? I'm glad I can add yet another northern team to the list that have opted up at some point. 8)

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:35 am

Their Bantam AA and Pee Wee AA teams are cleaning up at regions and will be at state playing with the big boys. Then once they get to high school they will sandbag and play Litchfield-Dassel Kokato in the first round at state. Lol

icetime3

Post by icetime3 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 am

Does anyone have a list of all of the high school team in the state who currently qualify for single A based on enrollment but choose to opt up to AA playoffs? Thanks.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am

icetime3 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:12 am
Does anyone have a list of all of the high school team in the state who currently qualify for single A based on enrollment but choose to opt up to AA playoffs? Thanks.
It's mostly private schools, but Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Roseau are the publics that come to mind.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am

TheNightman wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am
icetime3 wrote:
It's mostly private schools, but Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Roseau are the publics that come to mind.
I think also: Bemidji, Totino, BSM, STA, Blake, HF, Duluth Marshall. Gentry next season.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:19 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am
TheNightman wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am
icetime3 wrote:
I think also: Bemidji, Totino, BSM, STA, Blake, HF, Duluth Marshall. Gentry next season.
Add CDH and HM, and I believe that is the complete list.