The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:I have a question for those in the 'know'.

How many players on this year's varsity roster do not live in the Hermantown school district?

How many started playing for Hermantown youth hockey in
Bantams?
Peewees?

How many came to Hermantown when they were in high school?

Not debating whether HT should play AA or A, just trying to see if all these kids that move in there are the reason they are so good.
Gotz and Watkins arrived as Pee Wees. Take them off this year's team and Hermantown drops significantly.
But not open enrollees. Moved to Duluth area for Dad's jobs and moved into Hermantown.

So where should they have moved?
East end of Duluth? Perhaps.
West end of Duluth? Not likely.
Proctor, Two Harbors, Esko?

Take them off the roster? Take Grannis off DM? Take Worth off DEast?
You can say that about most good teams?

Any others?
Didn't Warroad used to get a slew of those back about 15-20 years ago? They were the original "should opt up!" rant on this Board. Then Breck, then STA, now Hermantown. In 2030, there will be complaints about Luverne. Okay, kidding on that one. :mrgreen:

Lee

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

zooomx wrote:A Hermantown dad, a Moose Lake dad, and a Proctor dad each walk into a rough bar. Who walks out?

Three Hermantown dads
This is a great one!
Be kind. Rewind.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
rainier2 wrote: Gotz and Watkins arrived as Pee Wees. Take them off this year's team and Hermantown drops significantly.
But not open enrollees. Moved to Duluth area for Dad's jobs and moved into Hermantown.

Any others?
Didn't Warroad used to get a slew of those back about 15-20 years ago? They were the original "should opt up!" rant on this Board. Then Breck, then STA, now Hermantown. In 2030, there will be complaints about Luverne. Okay, kidding on that one. :mrgreen:

Lee

Lee
Yes, some rightfully so, but most moved to Warroad for the opportunities that Marvin's provided. A lot of people (lots here in Bemidji) screamed about it.
But I can see teams on the fringe of metro areas or where some industry springs up and needs people called out on the same thing.
Not Luverne, though.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

kniven wrote:The Edina of northern Minnesota but better.
This is priceless.
Be kind. Rewind.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier2 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
rainier2 wrote: Gotz and Watkins arrived as Pee Wees. Take them off this year's team and Hermantown drops significantly.

Any others?
Why didn't their families move to Coleraine, or TRF, or I-falls? Because it's not a large metro area, which makes it orders of magnitude easier for families to move there and find employment.

Also, the examples you gave, East and Marshall, are AA. Myself, and most people, understand that open enrolling and transferring are commonplace in AA, not in A.

The fact remains that if you take away the talent the open enrolls and transfers to Hermantown, their team is much less potent. How many A schools can you say this for? Little Falls? Hibbing? Luverne? It happens in these places, but it's not business as usual as it is in Hermantown.
Families moved to Hermantown and bought houses. Why are these even talked about? How many families buy houses in the cities to play for a different school? How many famalies buy houses to play for a private? What are the stats at Mahtomedi a class A school in the mega metro area that is almost AA size? Lets put the microscope on the problems up in Hibbing that caused a family to move and many to complain when I talked to them at the state tourney a few years ago. Why don't you deal with your own crap?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

pekyman wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: But not open enrollees. Moved to Duluth area for Dad's jobs and moved into Hermantown.

Any others?
Why didn't their families move to Coleraine, or TRF, or I-falls? Because it's not a large metro area, which makes it orders of magnitude easier for families to move there and find employment.

Also, the examples you gave, East and Marshall, are AA. Myself, and most people, understand that open enrolling and transferring are commonplace in AA, not in A.

The fact remains that if you take away the talent the open enrolls and transfers to Hermantown, their team is much less potent. How many A schools can you say this for? Little Falls? Hibbing? Luverne? It happens in these places, but it's not business as usual as it is in Hermantown.
Families moved to Hermantown and bought houses. Why are these even talked about? How many families buy houses in the cities to play for a different school? How many famalies buy houses to play for a private? What are the stats at Mahtomedi a class A school in the mega metro area that is almost AA size? Lets put the microscope on the problems up in Hibbing that caused a family to move and many to complain when I talked to them at the state tourney a few years ago. Why don't you deal with your own crap?
Because I'm too busy posting on the Hermantown thread! :D

How good would Hermantown be without the open enrollees and transfers? Regardless of why or how they got there, how good would the Hawks be without Gotz and Watkins? How good would they have been the last 3-4 years without Aamodt, Gotz x2, Samberg, Watkins, Judnick? State champs?
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier2 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier2 wrote: Why didn't their families move to Coleraine, or TRF, or I-falls? Because it's not a large metro area, which makes it orders of magnitude easier for families to move there and find employment.

How good would Hermantown be without the open enrollees and transfers? Regardless of why or how they got there, how good would the Hawks be without Gotz and Watkins? How good would they have been the last 3-4 years without Aamodt, Gotz x2, Samberg, Watkins, Judnick? State champs?
Ask that about any team.

Aamodt is another one the haters bring up.
Never went to Proctor lives on Pike Lake which is in the Proctor School district.
Why is that? You have to drive through miles of Hermantown and past the Hermantown school to get to the Proctor HS. Makes no sense. Aamodt is a Hermantown boy always will be.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Because I'm too busy posting on the Hermantown thread! Very Happy

:D :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

How good would Hermantown be without the open enrollees and transfers? Regardless of why or how they got there, how good would the Hawks be without Gotz and Watkins...

No open enrollees playing on the varsity that I know of.

And these two came in as peewees not the full-blown players they are now.
There is no question that the HT youth program improved them.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

pekyman wrote:
rainier2 wrote:
pekyman wrote: Families moved to Hermantown and bought houses. Why are these even talked about? How many families buy houses in the cities to play for a different school? How many famalies buy houses to play for a private? What are the stats at Mahtomedi a class A school in the mega metro area that is almost AA size? Lets put the microscope on the problems up in Hibbing that caused a family to move and many to complain when I talked to them at the state tourney a few years ago. Why don't you deal with your own crap?

Ask that about any team.

Aamodt is another one the haters bring up.
Never went to Proctor lives on Pike Lake which is in the Proctor School district.
Why is that? You have to drive through miles of Hermantown and past the Hermantown school to get to the Proctor HS. Makes no sense. Aamodt is a Hermantown boy always will be.
Does not change the fact that he is an open enrollee. Again, how good would Hermantown be if they did not have transfers and open enrollees?
Feel free to answer that question.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

It’s the Hermantown community, great schools, all sports not just Hockey, and the hockey program that attract families to the area. Hermantown Hockey is successful because of its hockey program. The Hermantown hockey program is setup to support a player to become the best player they are motivated to become. If the player has the drive, the Hermantown program has options for that player 12 months out of the year. If fact, Hermantown hockey has done more for the area hockey players that any program around. From the summer programs, Guy and Scotts camps and more. Look on any AAA area team like the Stars and the Wings and guess what you will find? A Hermantown coach or 3 running the program. These things are available to all the players in the area not just Hermantown boys. What does East do? Pretty much nothing but take care of their own. Marshall? Jesus they don’t even have a youth program all their players come from other organizations. Do we even need to mention Proctor and Denfeld… They do nothing but lease ice to Hermantown boys who are running programs and camps that all area kids participate in.
Did you know that Hermantown Hockey has the highest percent of boys playing hockey per/capita than any other program in the state? I’m sure you didn’t. Take the Peewees this year. Jeffy said there were 65 which spans 2 grades. That’s roughly 32 players per grade and Hermantown has roughly 75 boys per grade. Do the math and you will find that is about 42%. Let that sink in. A little less than half the boys in that peewee class play hockey and the other grades are similar. That’s what it takes for a small school to be competitive with the big boys. Get 40% of the boys in Hibbing playing and you will see your success grow. No matter what your school size, I think that if you can get enough players to field 3 bantam teams you can be successful at AA if you have a good program to back it up. So what does Hermantown Have to support these players? Pretty much every based covered, but this is where it starts. In addition to a large pleasure ring, Hermantown has 4 full sheets of outside ice meticulously maintained by volunteers that is on the school campus. 1 entire rink is dedicated just to rink ratting. From grade school on up kids can walk to the beautiful warming shack, lace on the skates and play until the lights go out at 10. After that, youth hockey parent flood teams takeover. The wonderful thing about Hermantown is that a Zamboni takes care of the ice throughout the evening and there are enough parent flood crews so you don’t need to flood more than a few times per season. It’s a serious responsibility at Hermantown and you don’t miss your flood night. As a parent, no need to worry about your youngster after school. The Hockey players, Parents, Tim, bless his soul all look out for each other. Most likely someone will bring your player home at the end of the night for you and you will do the same for other players on another. The Hockey community at Hermantown is second to none. I can’t imagine a better place to raise kids especially if Hockey is your thing or you want it to be. This is what attracts players of all ages to Hermantown and what builds the Hermantown player. As far as the coaching at the youth levels I will say this. I have talked to many players that have extended their careers past HS and many will say that some of the best coaching they have ever had was the volunteer coaches at the peewee and bantam levels. Mike Sertich even coached bantams there for a few years.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Rainier and Jeffy neither of you know diddly squat about the Hermantown Community or Hockey program. As a matter of fact, I don’t think you have the slightest idea what the word community even means and that is pretty sad actually.

Go ahead and tear me apart now :roll:
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Peky, others

I was slated to announce a game last week and wanted to highlight some illustrious graduates of each school. Hermantown stumped me. Jessica Lange - no. Gena Lee Nolin - no. The list went on and on with people from the Duluth region but none were actually from Hermantown.

Can you think of any notable alumni?
Be kind. Rewind.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

pekyman wrote:Rainier and Jeffy neither of you know diddly squat about the Hermantown Community or Hockey program. As a matter of fact, I don’t think you have the slightest idea what the word community even means and that is pretty sad actually.

I have no interest in tearing you apart, but I do want to know how good you think Hermantown would be without open enrollees and transfers.

And I love how you rip Hibbing, who has had top 5 and top ten teams the last few years, producing players like Adam Johnson, Scott Perunovich, Ryan Ullan, Jarrett Lee, and yes, the Gotz brothers, who both arrived in Hermantown well after they were already top end players.

Again, how good would Hermantown be without the open enrollees and transfers?
Last edited by rainier2 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kniven

Post by kniven »

pekyman wrote:Rainier and Jeffy neither of you know diddly squat about the Hermantown Community or Hockey program. As a matter of fact, I don’t think you have the slightest idea what the word community even means and that is pretty sad actually.

Many CEC youth hockey players are in summer hockey camps in Hermantown. I’m surprised more of our kids don’t play for Hermantown.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Doesn't Mr Gotz drive back up to Hibbing for work?
Yoopskater

Hermantown

Post by Yoopskater »

hadenuf wrote:Doesn't Mr Gotz drive back up to Hibbing for work?
Who cares where he works?

I find it odd that nobody really knows who these phantom open enrollees are.. Duluth area hockey community isn’t that big.

A or AA? What if the state set the rule that if your team has 3 or more open enrollees, you are automatically in AA.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier2 wrote:

I have no interest in tearing you apart, but I do want to know how good you think Hermantown would be without open enrollees and transfers.

And I love how you rip Hibbing, who has had top 5 and top ten teams the last few years, producing players like Adam Johnson, Scott Perunovich, Ryan Ullan, Jarrett Lee, and yes, the Gotz brothers, who both arrived in Hermantown well after they were already top end players.

Again, how good would Hermantown be without the open enrollees and transfers?
I didn't rip Hibbing I am just saying what Hibbing parents told me. I really wish Hibbing would get their program back on track. It's too bad you couldn't keep the brothers. It's not Hermantown's fault.
Depth is always an issue in a small school, but I imagine they would still be good enough to beat Hibbing consistently not so sure about Greenway.
How good would Hibbing be if they could keep their players and got more of their kids involved in the sport?
Is Hermantown the only community in the state that people move into? Just curious. Watkins came in as a peewee from out west and he keeps being brought up. Do your parents parents have to be born in Hermantown to escape your list? Most of the kids you talk about LIVE in Hermantown and their families own a house here. Open enrollment in the school is extremely limited and it's tough to get in. You wanna play a sport in Hermantown, your best and maybe only chance is to move here and some do.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

kniven wrote:

Many CEC youth hockey players are in summer hockey camps in Hermantown. I’m surprised more of our kids don’t play for Hermantown.
Why would you say this? Surprised more of Cloquet kids don't play for Hermantown? Why would they want to leave, to play siingle A?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Just saying kids are impressionable and their skating in Hermantown all summer. Who knows what kids and their hockey parents think. We actually haven’t had any kids defect since I’m around that I know of. Kids just want to have fun.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote:Just saying kids are impressionable and their skating in Hermantown all summer. Who knows what kids and their hockey parents think. We actually haven’t had any kids defect since I’m around that I know of. Kids just want to have fun.
MSHSL opened this stupid pandoras box with a ridiculous open enrollment. It is a complete $#%^ Show!!

Minnesota parents are insane to move their little goal scorers for a 25 game season, what a joke!!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:MSHSL opened this stupid pandoras box with a ridiculous open enrollment.
From a Minnesota Post article:

What we’re talking about here is the open enrollment program which became law in Minnesota in 1988 and that allows families to enroll their children in nearby school districts outside the neighborhoods where they live.

Pretty sure MSHSL didn't come up with open enrollment.
Be kind. Rewind.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

O-townClown wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:MSHSL opened this stupid pandoras box with a ridiculous open enrollment.

What we’re talking about here is the open enrollment program which became law in Minnesota in 1988 and that allows families to enroll their children in nearby school districts outside the neighborhoods where they live.

Open enrollment is allowed in 46 states.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

O-townClown wrote:

Thanks for the correction. Open enrollment = open recruiting which leads to what we see today in sports. Parents "moving" their kids for sports under the guise of educational "choice".
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Again, who are the open enrollees?

From what I can tell thre maybe 1 on he current varsity and he may live in side the HT school district.

The 2 mentioned earlier are not open enrolled.