The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm

rainier2 wrote:Please stop with these empty statements that make it appear as though you're taking the high road in this debate. Your "stance" is that they shouldn't be forced to move up, that staying in single A is their decision, and that the rest of the state shouldn't have any say in that decision? That's not a stance, that's reality. They can't be forced to move up, staying in single A is their decision, and the rest of the state doesn't have a say in that decision. You might as well say your "stance" is that the sun will rise tomorrow!!
Exactly, if that's the reality, then maybe you should stop incessantly moaning about it on a message board?

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:I only knew there were 7. This guy knows more about it than any of us and he explains that the stat came from Scott Pionk in a meeting with the AD.
Net Presence wrote:First, I'm pretty sure I could name at least 7 or 8 of those kids from that roster but, I won't do so without being 100% sure beforehand. Still, I've known Scott Pionk for over 30 years and we're friends who've both been very fortunate to have experienced this game at almost every level and in almost every position imaginable. So, if he says 11 of those names are either tranfers who moved in after 9th grade or are from families who moved in prior to 9th grade but after they started playing youth hockey somewhere else, or simply open enrollees at the youth level who's families still live outside the Hermantown school district, then I'm confident he knows what he's talking about.
So if no one can name the 7 or 11 open enrollees/transfers from last year's team, then why is this constantly stated in this thread and other threads as a fact?

Net Presence - I definitely appreciate the additional insight you've provided and being friends with Scott Pionk obviously means you are more in the know than the rest of us (tone:sincere). It just gets very old seeing multiple people in various threads throwing out the # of open enrollees/transfers statement for all of Hermantown's successful teams with no facts to back it up. Everyone's sole reasoning in their argument for Hermantown needing to be in AA stems from these "non-Hermantown” players but no one is ever able to provide the actual proof.

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Net Presence wrote:
And yes, I do count Tyler as one of those 11 as he didn't start his youth playing career in Hermantown as a Mite 1. Did he "transfer" in the "honorable way" by having his parents actually move into the Hermantown school district? Absolutely. But, the point is, Hermantown gained a very talented player that didn't begin his youth "career" in Hermantown. In fact, as I've stated previously, even if a player does start his youth career as a first year Mite at Hermantown, if he had to open enroll to Hermantown due to living in a different school district, he or she still counts as a "transfer" as that player would otherwise have played for whichever high school is in the district his family resides in. Do I look at a player who open enrolls at kindergarten and starts playing in the Hermantown youth system his first year of organized hockey slightly differently than that of a player that transfers in as 3rd grader or older? Sure, because at least that decision was made at the outset versus after having played with their "friends" for 2 to 5 years in their original association that they live in and then open enrolling after their kid seems to be an above average player.
Yes, we know now after the fact that Hermantown gained a very talented player but do you honestly believe that anyone knew he would be a potential Mr. Hockey finalist his senior year upon moving to MN as a 5th grader? If you are able to accurately predict a player's skill trajectory seven years in the future, I truly wish the Gophers would've hired you over Bob Motzko.
Jeffy95 wrote:Tyler was one of the top players his age in Colorado. It's no surprise the family moved to Minnesota, more opportunities in Hockey for sure. Nothing wrong with that. His Dad was a Surgeon at the largest Hospital in Denver. He could have chosen any Hospital in Minnesota. He chose little old St. Luke's in Duluth and had his kid play for Hermantown. Not sure that's a career advancing move, but I'm not an expert on that. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, but has anyone ever moved to Eveleth, Greenway or Hibbing under similar circumstances?
Assuming Tyler was 11 years old when he moved to Hermantown, how do you know that he was one of the top players his age in Colorado? Did you look up the statewide Squirt hockey stats in Colorado to conclude this? I'm seriously interested. Also, are you related to the Watkins family or something? How do you know what hospital his Dad worked at in Denver? I cannot believe how petty these arguments have gotten where people are trying to use where an out-of-state player's parent gains employment and where they decided to buy a house as validation that Hermantown recruits all of their top players. It honestly is pretty sad how people have become so obsessed about this issue that they lookup/discuss where a high school hockey player’s parent works.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 am

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:8a is not a strong section. Not even close.
You might want to take a glance at the state tourney history. The 8 A rep has played in 10 state championship games in 25 years plus 4 third place finishes and a batch of Consolation titles. Every year but a few they've gone 2-1 or better in the Tourney with multiple teams getting to the Tourney. That sounds like a strong section by pretty much any way you'd measure it.
I've lived in the area for decades but thanks for the history lesson. Consolation titles ? Big deal, thats FIFTH place

Of course, since the original statement was 8a is very strong, not *has* been very strong, I'll stand by my statement, which includes the recently ended season.

:wink:
Sorry. I can’t help you.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
rainier2 wrote:Please stop with these empty statements that make it appear as though you're taking the high road in this debate. Your "stance" is that they shouldn't be forced to move up, that staying in single A is their decision, and that the rest of the state shouldn't have any say in that decision? That's not a stance, that's reality. They can't be forced to move up, staying in single A is their decision, and the rest of the state doesn't have a say in that decision. You might as well say your "stance" is that the sun will rise tomorrow!!
Exactly, if that's the reality, then maybe you should stop incessantly moaning about it on a message board?
I do it because Hermantown bobos such as yourself come on here and post the same tired defenses of your team staying in class A, such as:

-"We flat out belong in single A."
-"Hermantown only has 600 students."
-"Everyone talks about open enrollees and transfers but no one can ever name any."

If you read this entire thread, you will see the sane rebuttals to misleading comments like yours. This narrative that Hermantown is small town hockey that turns a tiny enrollment into hockey gold using only home-grown talent is a sham, and it needs to be pointed out as such, over and over until everyone understands what's really going on there.

I am happy that it appears that many in Hermantown are wanting to go to AA, but until that day I will moan incessantly as long as you guys keep trying to defend the Hawks staying in A. If it really bothers you that much, then I suggest you avoid this thread.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am

HHawks4Ever wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:I only knew there were 7. This guy knows more about it than any of us and he explains that the stat came from Scott Pionk in a meeting with the AD.
Net Presence wrote:First, I'm pretty sure I could name at least 7 or 8 of those kids from that roster but, I won't do so without being 100% sure beforehand. Still, I've known Scott Pionk for over 30 years and we're friends who've both been very fortunate to have experienced this game at almost every level and in almost every position imaginable. So, if he says 11 of those names are either tranfers who moved in after 9th grade or are from families who moved in prior to 9th grade but after they started playing youth hockey somewhere else, or simply open enrollees at the youth level who's families still live outside the Hermantown school district, then I'm confident he knows what he's talking about.
So if no one can name the 7 or 11 open enrollees/transfers from last year's team, then why is this constantly stated in this thread and other threads as a fact?

Net Presence - I definitely appreciate the additional insight you've provided and being friends with Scott Pionk obviously means you are more in the know than the rest of us (tone:sincere). It just gets very old seeing multiple people in various threads throwing out the # of open enrollees/transfers statement for all of Hermantown's successful teams with no facts to back it up. Everyone's sole reasoning in their argument for Hermantown needing to be in AA stems from these "non-Hermantown” players but no one is ever able to provide the actual proof.
Dylan Samberg - Proctor
Darian Gotz - Hibbing
Tyler Watkins - Denver
Dawson Pietrusa - Denfeld
Jacob Herter - Fargo
Logan Judnick - Proctor

The 7th one's transfer had nothing to do with Hockey, so I'm not going to name him.

Add in Wyatt Aamodt - Proctor and Eric Gotz - Hibbing from the Previous year's title team and they had even more. And this is small Potatoes compared to the Bantams, PeeWees and Squirts.

You'll have to get the other four from last year's team from Scott Pionk or the AD.

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:53 am

rainier2 wrote:
Puckguy19 wrote:
green4 wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:Stray comment. There's a lot of mentions of Hermantown getting stronger in 2019. The 2019-2020 Hawks squad looks like the weakest version of the Hawks in quite a while. That group would probably be pretty overmatched playing AA. Should Biondi end up leaving early that would have a significant impact as well.

It does look like things look up from there.
In 2019-2020 Biondi will be a Senior if he stays, but they will also have a group of Juniors and Sophomores who this year went to the Bantam AA state tournament. Included on that team would be Joey Pierce as a Junior who I have heard could be one of the best.
Biondi’s got a big decision to make, in short order.
Would he be the first Hermantown player to play for the NTDP?
Yes, I believe that’s the case.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:17 am

The questions is can anyone name the 7-11 future NHL players off that list?

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:30 pm

I can assure you Hermantown will have 8 kids on the elite league “north” team next fall.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 am

Net Presence wrote:Remember, the local hockey community is actually pretty small so, many people are reluctant to actually name kids whose parents they may be friends with or, even just acquaintances with.
This, this right here. Naming names is actually detrimental. These are minors, and do not need us traipsing their names around on this particular topic. It is one thing to speak positively about a kid, but there are other ethical issues when speaking about an actual kid's name on a topic such as this.

Yes, I know this is an informal forum, but we should refrain from such activity.

We are all pretty savvy about our hockey community. To suggest the argument of kids transferring, re-locating, or open-enrolling to Hermantown is untrue unless proven by naming names, is simply disingenuous. No one is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes on this topic.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:44 am

Schotzy wrote:
Net Presence wrote:Remember, the local hockey community is actually pretty small so, many people are reluctant to actually name kids whose parents they may be friends with or, even just acquaintances with.
This, this right here. Naming names is actually detrimental. These are minors, and do not need us traipsing their names around on this particular topic. It is one thing to speak positively about a kid, but there are other ethical issues when speaking about an actual kid's name on a topic such as this.

Yes, I know this is an informal forum, but we should refrain from such activity.

We are all pretty savvy about our hockey community. To suggest the argument of kids transferring, re-locating, or open-enrolling to Hermantown is untrue unless proven by naming names, is simply disingenuous. No one is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes on this topic.
You make a good point, but when someone is accusing you of making things up, what choice do you have?

Just to clarify, the above eight that were named are all adults except for one 17 year old. My Grandpa was getting shot at by Germans when he was 17 and turned out okay, so I'm assuming he wouldn't be too traumatized by it. On the slim chance that anyone under 30 is actually reading this board.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am

My Grandpa was getting shot at by Germans when he was 17 and turned out okay, so I'm assuming he wouldn't be too traumatized by it. On the slim chance that anyone under 30 is actually reading this board.

Now that is pretty funny stuff. This thread needs a little humor now and then.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 am

Schotzy wrote:

It would be nice if names never had to be mentioned, but, as you mention, every so often someone on the board demands to know who "all these transfers and open enrollees are", a request that is most often made by Hermantown fans, strangely enough.

However, as far as I can tell, players transferring or open enrolling is public information. For example, you can go to youth association websites to see rosters and you can go to a site such as St. Louis county Land Explorer to see who lives in what school district. It is never appropriate to criticize the players or their families for choosing to transfer or open enroll, but simply pointing out that, before appearing on a Hermantown roster, Timmy Toedrag played a year of varsity for North Shore or Freddy Fivehole was a star in squirts for Proctor seems pretty harmless.

Player movement is discussed on this forum all the time, and as long as the kids and their families aren't being criticized, and their private reasons for moving aren't discussed, then I don't see how it damages anyone in any way.

Revealing the extent to which open enrollment/transfers have contributed to Hermantown's success has been critical in changing public perceptions of their dominating run in Class A, which, in turn, has led to increased pressure on the Hermantown decision-makers, deservedly so.

If the MSHSL cannot enforce the spirit of the creation of Class A, then it is up to fans of high school hockey to use the court of public opinion as a way to effect positive change in the name of sportsmanship. As the "anti-Hermantown" voices have grown louder, we've seen Lou Nanne, Mike McGraw, and Mark Parrish publicly call out the Hermantown decision-makers, and along with them, now the vast majority of hockey fans, players, and parents in MN see the absurdity of Hermantown staying in A while beating or almost beating the state AA champs annually.

Again, I see no problem with simply mentioning which players have switched to which team. However, if you can explain to me specifically how mentioning names is damaging to players and their families, I'm happy to listen. Thanks.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

You make a good point, but when someone is accusing you of making things up, what choice do you have?

Just to clarify, the above eight that were named are all adults except for one 17 year old. My Grandpa was getting shot at by Germans when he was 17 and turned out okay, so I'm assuming he wouldn't be too traumatized by it. On the slim chance that anyone under 30 is actually reading this board.
No kidding. Bit hypocritical when some have no problem touting names when the kid has good news but somehow when it could be "bad" news the cries come out "they're only kids, be nice" :lol:

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Again, all the kids mentioned I'm sure will be on NHL rosters in the near future so their names will be publicized anyway. It's what the kids learn for themselves that's important. How good or what kind of kid will they be when Mommy and Daddy aren't directing their Hockey future. If your kid is good enough and truly has what it takes they will thrive in any hockey environment. Maybe the parents want to win more than the kids?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm

highgloveside wrote:Again, all the kids mentioned I'm sure will be on NHL rosters in the near future so their names will be publicized anyway. It's what the kids learn for themselves that's important. How good or what kind of kid will they be when Mommy and Daddy aren't directing their Hockey future. If your kid is good enough and truly has what it takes they will thrive in any hockey environment. Maybe the parents want to win more than the kids?
Words of Wisdom indeed. Parenting is the most competitive Sport there is nowadays.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm

highgloveside wrote:Maybe the parents want to win more than the kids?
Considering what hockey costs parents these days, and with the possibility of a D1 scholarship looming for the very top kids, they certainly have a lot at stake financially!

HHawks4Ever

Post by HHawks4Ever » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Net Presence wrote:Hawks -- First, thanks for the sincere appreciation of my insight. I actually need to contact Scott about something related to his summer camps tomorrow so, I'll ask him to tell me exactly who the 11 players were so I can feel comfortable mentioning them here. As for my talent identification chops, I would never put myself in Bob Motzko's league so I certainly can't say I predicted that Watkins would become the player he became when he was a 5th grader. Still, immediately after graduating from the college I played in a Frozen Four at, I spent the next 5 years as an assistant coach where I was responsible for almost all of our initial recruiting assessments. And, for 8 of the next 10 years we went to a Frozen Four so.... ;)

As for your statement that no one is ever able to provide the proof of who these "non-Hermantown" players are, well...to be honest, it was well know in these parts that Watkins was an above average player when he arrived. Remember, the local hockey community is actually pretty small so, many people are reluctant to actually name kids whose parents they may be friends with or, even just aquaintances with.
Ok fair enough, thank you for additional insight regarding Watkins and the naming of these players within the hockey community or on a public forum. Thanks!

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 pm

MNhockeyfan, I can assure you whats at stake is your own money, I don’t mean yours in particular but in a general sense. I guarantee if you add up what you pay for a kid to play hockey as a youth it will add up to more than a full D1 scholarship. I will say however it is a lot of fun watching the kids play and have fun even if it costs a lot of money. I’m just trying to put it all in perspective. Pay whatever it takes and move them wherever it takes but my caution is to not have the expectation they will pay you back with NHL earnings.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

highgloveside wrote:MNhockeyfan, I can assure you whats at stake is your own money, I don’t mean yours in particular but in a general sense. I guarantee if you add up what you pay for a kid to play hockey as a youth it will add up to more than a full D1 scholarship. I will say however it is a lot of fun watching the kids play and have fun even if it costs a lot of money. I’m just trying to put it all in perspective. Pay whatever it takes and move them wherever it takes but my caution is to not have the expectation they will pay you back with NHL earnings.
Agree on the NHL expectations, but a full D1 scholarship can save $30,000 up to $60,000 per year, or roughly $120,000 to $240,000 for four years. Figuring in all the expenses for youth association fees, equipment and sticks, camps, summer teams, tournaments including travel, etc., how much do you think all this totals up to his freshman year in college?
(And I know, most parents don't even want to think about it! :shock:)

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
highgloveside wrote:Maybe the parents want to win more than the kids?
Considering what hockey costs parents these days, and with the possibility of a D1 scholarship looming for the very top kids, they certainly have a lot at stake financially!
So. No one forced them into the game and it being a costly sport is not a secret.
And there's a LOT more money in academic scholarships available anyway.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Ok, I’ll bite. If you are planning on a school like Quinnipiac or some of the other schools out East the retail price tag is about 60k per year. Most of the Hockey players at a school like that will have grants and such to help even the half ride kids. Now, on the flip side the most expensive D1 school around here would be the U at approx 26k per year as of now for a total of about 104k to a max of about 110k for the 4 years. Now it gets tricky. ND, Bemidji, St.Cloud Mankato will all check in at about 12-14k per year for a total of 48k to say 55k. UMD is a bit more than those but less than the U. Those schools will also give you money for higher ACT scores, anything above a 25 at most but not all schools will give you thousands off tuition. In a nutshell it is very possible for a decent student to go to college for less than 12k per year. However I have had several dads roughly tally up the dollars they have spent on one kids hockey through High School and the totals of all of them exceeded 75k. Please don’t get me wrong here, earning a scholarship to play hockey is a very special thing but if you really do the math it’s not the financial windfall most would think. That being said, even if you are a walk on It’s still a cool thing to play D1 hockey.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Hey now, some of us on here don't have any grey hairs yet! For a couple more years, anyway. :?

I have mixed feelings about discussing the residency of individuals on this forum, but having been a fly on the wall for much of this discussion, I don't think anything here really crosses the line. We have been proactive in cleaning out posts that have details on kids' off-ice lives in the past. That issue has less to do with any "trauma" inflicted on the kid himself than the fact that it can be very difficult to tease out fact from fiction on an anonymous message board. We don't want to enable libel, and personally I don't want to be in the business of leaving a searchable record of kids' life choices while still in high school. (Their parents are a different story, which may be why I view this residency discussion differently from incidents in which kids get suspended or something.) I don't think anyone deserves to have that sort of record left by anonymous message board commentators, though the ease with which one can follow a digital trail of crumbs on a kid's youthful dalliances is much greater even when I was in high school 10-15 years ago. It's a lot harder to hide now, for good or ill (and it's often both).

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm

HHawks4Ever wrote:
When your Varsity team makes Class A State 10 years in a row, your AA Bantam team makes State & AA PeeWee team makes State & finishes 2nd...How in the world can you justify staying in Single A (after 2018-2019)??? Don’t you realize that your small mindedness is cheating some really talented players from a shot at playing for the BIG PRIZE? I was lucky enough to have a son play in the AA State Tourney & the accomplishment of GETTING THEIR...is what was most gratifying! To quote a line in a Tom Hanks movie “It’s suppose to be hard” (to advance to AA STATE) “The hard is what makes it GREAT!” It’s not a birth right for HT players to play for the little prize all 3 or 4 years of HS. Wake up and grow some stones...

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Hey now, some of us on here don't have any grey hairs yet! For a couple more years, anyway. :?

I have mixed feelings about discussing the residency of individuals on this forum, but having been a fly on the wall for much of this discussion, I don't think anything here really crosses the line. We have been proactive in cleaning out posts that have details on kids' off-ice lives in the past. That issue has less to do with any "trauma" inflicted on the kid himself than the fact that it can be very difficult to tease out fact from fiction on an anonymous message board. We don't want to enable libel, and personally I don't want to be in the business of leaving a searchable record of kids' life choices while still in high school. (Their parents are a different story, which may be why I view this residency discussion differently from incidents in which kids get suspended or something.) I don't think anyone deserves to have that sort of record left by anonymous message board commentators, though the ease with which one can follow a digital trail of crumbs on a kid's youthful dalliances is much greater even when I was in high school 10-15 years ago. It's a lot harder to hide now, for good or ill (and it's often both).
Oops, sorry Karl, forgot we had a Diaper Dandy on the board!