The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Upfan111

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by Upfan111 »

ironranger2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 am
BodyShots wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am Who cried more? The players or the parents! :oops:
I am guessing the school superintendent. Imagine the enrollment drop because of this. :roll:
AD? Maybe Kniven?
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

BodyShots wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am Who cried more? The players or the parents! :oops:
I'm guessing it's the Parents of the three sophomores who they pulled from their friends and communities for the auto trip to the X. Kids get to varsity and they miss for the first time in ten years. Had to have been a rough night for those folks......

The kids on the other hand showed very good sportsmanship on the ice after the loss.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I know my brother and sister in law and niece and her husband shed some tears.
But they deserve it. As well as all the other parents and family members out there whose hockey playing children's careers have finished.
Its a long journey from mini-mites to varsity.
Its tough to face the end.

But just think of all the great memories.
That's what it is all about.

To quote my brother, "Go Raiders!"
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 am I know my brother and sister in law and niece and her husband shed some tears.
But they deserve it. As well as all the other parents and family members out there whose hockey playing children's careers have finished.

Don't fret because it's over, smile because it happened! :)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

MWS coach wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:02 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 am I know my brother and sister in law and niece and her husband shed some tears.

Don't fret because it's over, smile because it happened! :)
exactly :D :D
kniven

Post by kniven »

So I suppose Hermantown boys High School hockey opts down to Bantam A. Or Junior Gold? They have state tournaments too.

When your eating anytime you want, you forget what it’s like to be hungry. You’ll do anything to eat when your hungry. You won’t when your just going to the restaurant again and again and again.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

It may seem counterintuitive, but perhaps Greenway's triumph will be the catalyst for a Hermantown opt-up, instead of evidence that the Hawks really should stay in A.

I know Hermantonians were stunned after the loss to Alex last year, but the Greenway loss is next-level disbelief. Many of their fans feel the same way as peky and Bigfoot. (may his forum account rest in peace) Essentially, that the rest of 7A has de-volved into dog crap while the Hawks have pretty much stayed the same. So, for their team to actually lose to one of those sad-sack Range teams that are too weak for the Hawks to schedule all throughout youth hockey, well, that's quite the tectonic shock.

Also, when the Hawks lose to Edina, EP, Tonka, etc. at the youth levels or in the HS regular season, they could always say "Hey, we're a small school, were not supposed to beat them anyway." But a loss to Greenway, a true small-town hockey program with an enrollment that is half of Hermantown's, that leaves them with no excuses, no emotional salve. They were heavy favorites versus a tiny school, and they got beat, fair and square.

Of course, the worst part for them is that the Hawks are not going to state. Hermantown has gone to state nine years in a row!! Let that sink in. They have gone to state 11 of the last 13 years. Over those 13 years at state, they never lost in the QFs, lost only twice in the semis, and took home three titles. The sophomores on Hermantown are likely too young to remember the last time Hawks didn't make it to state. Hermantown parents and fans make reservations at hotels near the X with the same level of annual expectation and certainty that ordinary people feel towards submitting their taxes. This loss has left a void in their lives that is as disorienting as it is frustrating.

To my point, I think this loss may spur the AA-resistant parents and fans to change their tune, for as they sit on their couches and watch other teams battle for the Class A title, they may realize that, compared to Class A teams, not only is it more fun to beat AA teams, it's also less painful to lose to them.

In the three seconds it would take for the AD to sign the opt-up form, the Hawks would go from reviled villains to feel-good story heroes.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

rainier2 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm It may seem counterintuitive, but perhaps Greenway's triumph will be the catalyst for a Hermantown opt-up, instead of evidence that the Hawks really should stay in A.

I know Hermantonians were stunned after the loss to Alex last year, but the Greenway loss is next-level disbelief. Many of their fans feel the same way as peky and Bigfoot. (may his forum account rest in peace) Essentially, that the rest of 7A has de-volved into dog crap while the Hawks have pretty much stayed the same. So, for their team to actually lose to one of those sad-sack Range teams that are too weak for the Hawks to schedule all throughout youth hockey, well, that's quite the tectonic shock.

Also, when the Hawks lose to Edina, EP, Tonka, etc. at the youth levels or in the HS regular season, they could always say "Hey, we're a small school, were not supposed to beat them anyway." But a loss to Greenway, a true small-town hockey program with an enrollment that is half of Hermantown's, that leaves them with no excuses, no emotional salve. They were heavy favorites versus a tiny school, and they got beat, fair and square.

Of course, the worst part for them is that the Hawks are not going to state. Hermantown has gone to state nine years in a row!! Let that sink in. They have gone to state 11 of the last 13 years. Over those 13 years at state, they never lost in the QFs, lost only twice in the semis, and took home three titles. The sophomores on Hermantown are likely too young to remember the last time Hawks didn't make it to state. Hermantown parents and fans make reservations at hotels near the X with the same level of annual expectation and certainty that ordinary people feel towards submitting their taxes. This loss has left a void in their lives that is as disorienting as it is frustrating.

To my point, I think this loss may spur the AA-resistant parents and fans to change their tune, for as they sit on their couches and watch other teams battle for the Class A title, they may realize that, compared to Class A teams, not only is it more fun to beat AA teams, it's also less painful to lose to them.

In the three seconds it would take for the AD to sign the opt-up form, the Hawks would go from reviled villains to feel-good story heroes.
Nah, they would still suck.
defense

Post by defense »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:24 pm
defense wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:07 pm
hockey59 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:49 am

For the 1,000,000 time...when your PeeWee AA team is consistently top 10 in MN...and your Bantam AA team is consistently top 10 in MN...there is NO INTEGRITY choosing to play HS single A hockey...And no PRIDE either...end of story! The sh-t storm of criticism they will be on the receiving end of (if they fail to come to their collective senses) and corresponding fail to move up to AA following the 2018-2019 season will be EPIC...to say the least. ☝️
This is very similar to what was said of Warroad in the 90's. We didnt have AA youth hockey and their youth teams weren't always that great. But they benefited
a lot from out of towners. Now Warroad and Hermantown are not the same situation, but in the 90's people were screaming for Warroad to move up. Because they were too good. Had players not from there. That they should have pride etc.
The integrity of the two class system is playing in a league based on your enrollment. Not the enrollment of the youth club. Not the domination you have had in your league. Not the success you've had at higher levels by
your local youth club. Hut based on enrollment of the school as judged by the governing body of that league.
They are playing within the rules and enjoy what they are doing so thumbs up to them.
So you're saying you'd welcome STA and all the other metro privates back to Class A with open arms? An STA-BSM Class A title game every season would be awesome!!! :o
Yep I would welcome them back. STA had a game or two on their hands at least in their run. And if the private schools dominated, then it would be oh so much sweeter for a Hermantown, or Warroad, or Mahtomedi, or whoever to win that tournament rather than to chase the big bad private school from the league. Hermantown had a few close calls with STA, Hermantown also had a few near misses with other teams those years. It evens out, why dilute it??
Otter Hockey Rocks
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

defense wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm
defense wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:07 pm

This is very similar to what was said of Warroad in the 90's. We didnt have AA youth hockey and their youth teams weren't always that great. But they benefited
a lot from out of towners. Now Warroad and Hermantown are not the same situation, but in the 90's people were screaming for Warroad to move up. Because they were too good. Had players not from there. That they should have pride etc.
The integrity of the two class system is playing in a league based on your enrollment. Not the enrollment of the youth club. Not the domination you have had in your league. Not the success you've had at higher levels by
your local youth club. Hut based on enrollment of the school as judged by the governing body of that league.
They are playing within the rules and enjoy what they are doing so thumbs up to them.
So you're saying you'd welcome STA and all the other metro privates back to Class A with open arms? An STA-BSM Class A title game every season would be awesome!!! :o
Yep I would welcome them back. STA had a game or two on their hands at least in their run. And if the private schools dominated, then it would be oh so much sweeter for a Hermantown, or Warroad, or Mahtomedi, or whoever to win that tournament rather than to chase the big bad private school from the league. Hermantown had a few close calls with STA, Hermantown also had a few near misses with other teams those years. It evens out, why dilute it??
You thought about this for 104 days and this is the answer you come up with? That STA, who is playing to go to the AA title game, should go back to single A? Maybe you should take another 104 days to revise your thoughts. :D
defense

Post by defense »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 pm

You thought about this for 104 days and this is the answer you come up with? That STA, who is playing to go to the AA title game, should go back to single A? Maybe you should take another 104 days to revise your thoughts. :D
Lol. I dont live on this board anymore. Though maybe i should 😁. But it is my argument. Rather see two top notch events than an A and B event. If ya cant see the light, i guess ya may never see it. I would rather see one tournament but it will never hapen again so..
Otter Hockey Rocks
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

defense wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:51 pm
Lol. I dont live on this board anymore. Though maybe i should 😁. But it is my argument. Rather see two top notch events than an A and B event. If ya cant see the light, i guess ya may never see it. I would rather see one tournament but it will never hapen again so..
You think Class A is the "B" event this year? There is this team called Greenway that is the darling of the tourney this year and is providing tons of excitement.

If "seeing the light" means having HM, BSM, STA, Blake, and HF dominate the A tourney every year, then I pray I stay in the darkness.
defense

Post by defense »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 pm

You think Class A is the "B" event this year? There is this team called Greenway that is the darling of the tourney this year and is providing tons of excitement.

If "seeing the light" means having HM, BSM, STA, Blake, and HF dominate the A tourney every year, then I pray I stay in the darkness.
Read prior posts. If every team that dominates class a goes to aa, you will have a b and a tourney. Take the sunglasses off bud.
Otter Hockey Rocks
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

defense wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Read prior posts. If every team that dominates class a goes to aa, you will have a b and a tourney. Take the sunglasses off bud.
Why do you think the Class A tourney is a "B" tourney?

Opting up to AA isn't permanent. Any team that feels they can compete in AA for a while is welcome to go back to A if they choose.
defense

Post by defense »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Opting up to AA isn't permanent. Any team that feels they can compete in AA for a while is welcome to go back to A if they choose.
Umm.........
Otter Hockey Rocks
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

defense wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:01 pm
rainier2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Umm.........
Please tell me why you think the Class A tourney is (or will be) a "B" tourney. I want to hear details, if you don't mind.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

This topic has taken an interesting turn. I wouldn't have thought in 100 years we'd be talking about whether STA, et al opting down would be a good thing!

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

east hockey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:08 pm This topic has taken an interesting turn. I wouldn't have thought in 100 years we'd be talking about whether STA, et al opting down would be a good thing!

Lee
Agreed. That is why I desperately want an explanation as to why this would be a good idea, and what a "B" tourney is.
BeauKnowsHockey

Post by BeauKnowsHockey »

Hi, new guy here... I was told I needed to post on this thread as some sort of strange right of passage?

My opinion in this matter is not set in stone. I don’t know the history very well. I am definitely an outsider. In fact, as someone from Southern Minnesota, does my opinion matter at all? 🤔

My initial reaction is that Hermantown seems to already consider themselves a AA team based on how they schedule their season. It seems farcical to me to schedule the way that they do and not opt up to AA. especially since they seem to have relatively good success against AA teams.

But like I said. I don’t know much of the back story of why Eagleton split from Pawnee. Was it because one of the McCoys stole a pig from the Hatfield’s?

Someone might need to enlighten me. I might be mixing up stories. I watch a lot of Parks and Rec while I sift through spreadsheets and websites in my dungeon.

-Beau
Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com
BeauKnowsHockey

As I sat awake in bed wondering what I had done by posting in this forum I thought to myself. “Self, why don’t they have a relegation and promotion system like Sweden does? Or the IIHF where depending on how well you do in the season you bump up or could potentially bump down for those bigger school that just don’t compete?”
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

BeauKnowsHockey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:06 am As I sat awake in bed wondering what I had done by posting in this forum I thought to myself. “Self, why don’t they have a relegation and promotion system like Sweden does? Or the IIHF where depending on how well you do in the season you bump up or could potentially bump down for those bigger school that just don’t compete?”
I have been saying this for years. There are many pros & cons, but most of all, it would require work by the MSHSL. For that reason, it won't happen.
BeauKnowsHockey

Schotzy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 am
I have been saying this for years. There are many pros & cons, but most of all, it would require work by the MSHSL. For that reason, it won't happen.
First of all... I like your style.

Second of all. If you are the Schotzy of Orono... I am still waiting to hear back from you on historic Orono stats. You said you would contact the Orono AD. ;)

If you are not this schotzy. Disregard this message.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

BeauKnowsHockey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 am

Second of all. If you are the Schotzy of Orono... I am still waiting to hear back from you on historic Orono stats. You said you would contact the Orono AD. ;)

I am not the Schotzy you are looking for.

I am the original Schotzy, all others are imitators, impersonators, generally poor manipulators.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Schotzy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 pm
BeauKnowsHockey wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 am

I am not the Schotzy you are looking for.

I am the original Schotzy, all others are imitators, impersonators, generally poor manipulators.
Greenway has single handily changed me on my tune as far a CEC dropping down to A in high school puck. We are a AA northern 218 hockey program. We need to leave the 218 single A hockey to the very small 218 towns. Thank you Greenway for kicking me in my ass😳😳. I admire the Greenway Hockey small town/program puck.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Hermantown has got 40 kids on the HP teams from HP14 up to HP17. Impressive 😳