The Hermantown Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Re: The Hermantown Thread

Post by hockey59 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Bigfoot12 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Scott is more qualified than anyone to call out Hermantown on their sandbagging and hordes of open-enrollees and transfers. He really gets it.
You seem confused, sandbagging is a golf term whereas a good player plays bad to get in a lower flight to then beat the bad golfers. At no time has Hermantown played bad on purpose
They just have a better handicap than the rest of 7A
As do Montecello, Alex, Maht, SCC, Orono and many others I would be happier if you people would just admit that 7A has been a weak conference for years
SANDBAGGING is a perfect metaphor for whoever is making the Final Decision on playing single A. They know darn well what caliber team they’ve had for 10+ years, but CHOOSE to play in the lower flight (Single A). If you don’t get that Bigfoot...than you’re DUMBER than Sasquatch! ☝️

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Bigfoot12 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
Scott is more qualified than anyone to call out Hermantown on their sandbagging and hordes of open-enrollees and transfers. He really gets it.
You seem confused, sandbagging is a golf term whereas a good player plays bad to get in a lower flight to then beat the bad golfers. At no time has Hermantown played bad on purpose
They just have a better handicap than the rest of 7A
As do Montecello, Alex, Maht, SCC, Orono and many others I would be happier if you people would just admit that 7A has been a weak conference for years
Bigfoot and peky’s most cherished belief is that Hermantown’s 7A dominance isn’t due to the Hawks improving that much over the years, it’s just that the rest of 7A has degenerated into a steaming pile of hockey garbage. I, and other forum members who choose to live in reality, disagree. So, while just calling these bobos delusional would be sufficient, it is far more fun and effective to prove it.
Let’s start with the past, since apparently Bigfoot can’t remember what happens 10 minutes ago, much less ten years. The numbers next to Hermantown are (overall PageStat ranking/Class A PageStat ranking), other 7A teams have just Class A PageStat ranking.

10-11: Herm (19/2), Hibbing (6), DM (9), Virginia (13)
11-12: Herm (14/2), DM (7), Hibbing (15)
12-13: Herm (9/2), DM (10), Denfeld (11)
13-14: Herm (21/4), DM (6), Denfeld (14)
14-15: Herm (4/1), DM (7), Denfeld (8)
15-16: Herm (1/1), Hibbing (7), Greenway (10)
16-17: Herm (7/1), Greenway (9), Hibbing (10)
17-18: Herm (19/1), Greenway (4), Virginia (12)

So, over the years Hermantown has grown to become a lock for #1 in Class A, spent 3 of the last 4 years in the top 10 overall, and achieved #1 overall in 15-16, yet Bigfoot and peky would have us believe Hermantown hasn’t gotten any better. And, while they say 7A has gotten progressively worse, the record shows there is at least one other 7A team in the top 10 every season, even after DM went AA.

Now, let’s look to the future, which Bigfoot seems to feel he can read. According to our hairy, mythical friend who haunts the swamp behind the Miller Hill Mall, the rest of 7A sucks and can’t compete with his new hockey-crush programs. (Orono, Alexandria, Monticello) Setting aside the fact that this is a stupid reason to justify keeping Hermantown in Class A, it is patently false, for if you look at the YHH Bantam A rankings, this is what you find (I removed A teams that will play AA in HS from the rankings, such as OMG, Edina, Rogers, etc.):

2. Duluth Denfeld
5. Hibbing
9. Virginia
11. Alexandria
19. Monticello
20. Orono

And while yes, a couple of his favorite squads are indeed at the top of the PWA rankings, lurking close behind are some 7A teams:
1. Orono
5. Alexandria
9. Greenway
13. Proctor
14. Virginia
20. Monticello

Taking into consideration that, in Hermantown, the meaning of the phrase “compete with” means, “beat every team every single time forever”, then yes, I suppose one may think the 7A youth teams can’t compete with his new besties. But if, again, you live and receive your mail in this place called reality, you are more likely to conclude that the 7A teams, while perhaps not winning every time, certainly can compete most years. Also, Alexandria, Monticello, and his other favorite, Mahtomedi, are all near the AA enrollment cutoff and getting closer, so the whole beating these teams in the future argument may likely become moot.

I’m beginning to think Bigfoot is not a person, but an actual Bigfoot, who, instead of being wowed by the magic of a cigarette lighter, has discovered, now that his kid is in HS and gets to play small school teams come playoff time, the even more amazing, ego-inflating joy of woofing about his kid’s hockey success on Facebook. Except, when he then tried to expand this braggadocio to the forum, he was met with a lukewarm response very different from the fawning Facebook back-pats he’d grown accustomed to. In a nutshell: “Look, Hermantown hockey Dad, we wish your kid and his teammates the best as they are clearly hard-working and talented, but your team has been as good as the AA champ every season for 4 years running, so forgive us if we are less than impressed.” This can be a bitter pill to swallow. Perhaps, in your search for truth, you can turn to the wisdom of Lou Nanne, Mike McGraw, Mark Parrish, Scott Pionk, and other highly respected MN hockey minds who have publicly called out Hermantown’s sandbagging.

We get that it is embarrassing to admit that, because of the athletic director, your kid’s team has been put in a position of “interscholastic bullying”, but, what you have to realize is that the only thing more embarrassing than this is closing ranks, putting your Hawk heads in the sand, and pretending that you’re the normal ones, while everyone else is crazy. 8)

Dog

Post by Dog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:00 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 pm

I’m beginning to think Bigfoot is not a person, but an actual Bigfoot, who, instead of being wowed by the magic of a cigarette lighter, has discovered, now that his kid is in HS and gets to play small school teams come playoff time, the even more amazing, ego-inflating joy of woofing about his kid’s hockey success on Facebook.
That's good stuff right there...

Dog

Post by Dog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:06 pm

Go Raiders!!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

Lol! It's been some good entertainment watching HermHawkey/Bigfoot and Perky try to debate with people over the years. Ever since they started posting, nobody claims to transfer to Hermantown for the schools/education anymore. 😂

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:43 am

When did beeombe start playing at Hermantown?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

BulldogGuy

Post by BulldogGuy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Go Greenway !

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:15 pm

BulldogGuy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:50 pm
Go Greenway !
Yes, yes, yes, yes.........

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 pm

http//youtu.be/vikqR8zsCxM&app=desktop Link isn’t working but search Greenway Denfeld on YouTube for some great highlights.
Last edited by greenwayraider on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Well I got my Sunday comics today for sure. It’s the only reason I look at this site.
I get my laughs at the folks who hate Hermantown, the people in it, the Coaches, families moving into it and it seems, even the people who drive thru it, just because the Hawks AD wouldn’t pull the trigger and move a great team up. I still don’t know the reason why, I’m like you, I can only guess.
But here’s the deal. You play to win no matter who it is. In Texas, divisions are set by school enrollment and not a “You can move up if you want to option”. Pretty cut and dry
Here’s a quick story. There’s a couple of a huge football program down here in Austin, that some of you may know of. The schools are Westlake and Lake Travis. You might even know some of the QB from these two schools that currently play in the NFL. Now Lake Travis (LT) was state champions for 4 years in a row and trying to make it five. Their average point spread in the playoff was 42-11. In the first round of the playoffs in 2012, they had to play a crappy program that normally has a sub .500 season and doesn’t even make the playoffs most years. Yes down here not everyone gets a participation ribbon. But that year, this crappy school where Friday Night Lights was filmed and that looses great players to another local school, well, they were 8-4 with one of the crushing loses to Westlake and another lose to a cross town, in-district rival team lead by running back Samaje Perine. (NCAA rushing record holder) Now LT was 25-1 the past two years and was looking for another state championship. Each playoff game they would bring all their football players from 7th grade up to Varsity to stand on the sidelines. That’s 8 teams and well over 300 players, all wearing the same uniform, forming a player wall on the sidelines, intimidating the other team. This crappy team from Pflugerville was only down 7-6 at the half and the 360 to 405 pound linemen were feeling pretty good at that point. With less than a minute to play facing 4th and 12, P-Ville pass the ball to wide open player who hadn’t played a down all year besides special teams and he gains 13 yards. Two plays later the underdog got the go ahead TD making it 23-20. LT got the ball back and can only hope for a Hail Mary. The pass is caught but the player had step out of bounds in the end zone on the final play. The crappy underdog team, which since then only wins 2-3 games a year, beat the state favor 23-20. Guess who the QB was that year for Lake Travis. Hint- He’s a Heisman trophy winner and there is a rule name after him.
So the point is, play the team who is in front of you and don’t make excuses for why you can’t win. No team in Austin can beat these two teams and no one ever cries foul over it. With all the TV time outs, the Raiders should make it a great game against the Hawks.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am

Zeke wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Well I got my Sunday comics today for sure. It’s the only reason I look at this site.
I get my laughs at the folks who hate Hermantown, the people in it, the Coaches, families moving into it and it seems, even the people who drive thru it, just because the Hawks AD wouldn’t pull the trigger and move a great team up. I still don’t know the reason why, I’m like you, I can only guess.
But here’s the deal. You play to win no matter who it is. In Texas, divisions are set by school enrollment and not a “You can move up if you want to option”. Pretty cut and dry
Here’s a quick story. There’s a couple of a huge football program down here in Austin, that some of you may know of. The schools are Westlake and Lake Travis. You might even know some of the QB from these two schools that currently play in the NFL. Now Lake Travis (LT) was state champions for 4 years in a row and trying to make it five. Their average point spread in the playoff was 42-11. In the first round of the playoffs in 2012, they had to play a crappy program that normally has a sub .500 season and doesn’t even make the playoffs most years. Yes down here not everyone gets a participation ribbon. But that year, this crappy school where Friday Night Lights was filmed and that looses great players to another local school, well, they were 8-4 with one of the crushing loses to Westlake and another lose to a cross town, in-district rival team lead by running back Samaje Perine. (NCAA rushing record holder) Now LT was 25-1 the past two years and was looking for another state championship. Each playoff game they would bring all their football players from 7th grade up to Varsity to stand on the sidelines. That’s 8 teams and well over 300 players, all wearing the same uniform, forming a player wall on the sidelines, intimidating the other team. This crappy team from Pflugerville was only down 7-6 at the half and the 360 to 405 pound linemen were feeling pretty good at that point. With less than a minute to play facing 4th and 12, P-Ville pass the ball to wide open player who hadn’t played a down all year besides special teams and he gains 13 yards. Two plays later the underdog got the go ahead TD making it 23-20. LT got the ball back and can only hope for a Hail Mary. The pass is caught but the player had step out of bounds in the end zone on the final play. The crappy underdog team, which since then only wins 2-3 games a year, beat the state favor 23-20. Guess who the QB was that year for Lake Travis. Hint- He’s a Heisman trophy winner and there is a rule name after him.
So the point is, play the team who is in front of you and don’t make excuses for why you can’t win. No team in Austin can beat these two teams and no one ever cries foul over it. With all the TV time outs, the Raiders should make it a great game against the Hawks.
I have to agree with a lot of what Zeke says here. Plenty of AA teams over the years are tired of not getting by the Edina's and the EP's and the Hill Murray's, etc. It is what it is. You have to find a way or you have to watch on TV. Hermantown has done it well no matter on opinion of whether they should move up or not.

My first memories of high school hockey were listening to Iron Range games on AM radio in the late 60's. Even though I grew up on the GR/Greenway line near Trout Lake I was a huge Greenway Raider fan. The Antonovich and Peluso and Lawson and Troumbly, etc names were all well known in the hockey community. Then the Guyer's and Guentzel's and Vekich's etc. became well known later. I see a lot of those names on the current Greenway roster again the last couple of years. Those teams played some great hockey.

One thing I don't agree with at all on when it comes to peoples perceptions is the "Big boy"- Little boy" rhetoric on A and AA. I get it that AA has more depth and has deeper teams. (Usually) A lot of the greatest teams and players from Minnesota have and currently play for A teams. Calling the A tournament the Little boy tournament is not only a slap in the face but is also flat out wrong. Look back at the names of the greatest players ever from Minnesota and where they grew up. Plenty of small town teams on that list.

I don't what will happen Thursday but if Hermantown wins I will give them their due for making another run to state. Regardless of opinion it's a great accomplishment.

It will be a tall order to take down a very good Hawks team. No question about it. It will take a monumental effort and a couple breaks to do it.

This Greenway team has the players and the history behind them to do it.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 am

Zeke wrote:
I got my Tuesday comic reading in. Thanks!! =D> =D> =D>

StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 am

I’ll never have much interest in the A tourney because the difference in skill between the seeded teams and the unseeded teams is too great. Friday games are sometimes good. Finals are usually good but Wednesday quarters are a mess. Mostly all blowouts. I know last couple years been good but that’s a mirage not a trend. Mostly for that reason alone I don’t like it the whole tourney. Would much rather see a team that went 0-25 make a run and get blown out at state than teams that have good seasons, then get smoked by AA caliber teams. Class A and AA is bad for MN HS hockey. Tier 1 and Tier 2 system saves it.
You can call Tier 2, Class A and Tier 1 can be called Class AA.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am

You know what? I am going to trust Scott Pionk on this one. He knows Hermantowns politics, personalities, hockey, and hockey up in the north as best or better than anybody. I’m taking his opinion, 110% 🤓

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:54 am

kniven wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am
You know what? I am going to trust Scott Pionk on this one. He knows Hermantowns politics, personalities, hockey, and hockey up in the north as best or better than anybody. I’m taking his opinion, 110% 🤓
Yes, he is definitely the most qualified on the subject by far. He may have miscalculated by focusing on how they're ruining the game and all of the other programs because of the flood of top Hockey players open-enrolling and transferring in though. The Administration loves that. It makes their team better and they keep that Per Pupil State Aid flowing in. (Around $9,000 per kid) School Districts are not in the business of turning down money. He probably should have focused on how they're teaching their students that it's okay to be happy with underachieving in life. Maybe something like that gets through to a Superintendent type?????

Either way, I've given up on them. Eveleth/Virginia and hopefully Hibbing someday are our only hope for more Northern AA teams.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Zeke wrote:
Pionk = a conscience and has a pair
Zeke = a pillager and split bottom

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:54 am
kniven wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 am
Yes, he is definitely the most qualified on the subject by far. He may have miscalculated by focusing on how they're ruining the game and all of the other programs because of the flood of top Hockey players open-enrolling and transferring in though. The Administration loves that. It makes their team better and they keep that Per Pupil State Aid flowing in. (Around $9,000 per kid) School Districts are not in the business of turning down money. He probably should have focused on how they're teaching their students that it's okay to be happy with underachieving in life. Maybe something like that gets through to a Superintendent type?????

Either way, I've given up on them. Eveleth/Virginia and hopefully Hibbing someday are our only hope for more Northern AA teams.
Agreed.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:14 pm

I don't see the new Eveleth/Virginia ever going to AA. Hibbing a slim chance and only if their graduating classes stay at or near 200 for an extended period of time. Unless the mines get going again (and maybe even not then) I just don't see any Range team moving to AA. This is Greenway's last legitimate shot at State and it is a small chance. Hermantown will have to have an off night, Greenway's goalie will have to be outstanding, penalties will have to favor Greenway and lot of stoppage in play. Biondi is the difference maker. Two thing going for Greenway is they are not intimidated by Hermantown and Clafton will have a great game plan. I think the Raiders can do it but everything will have to align right for them.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:14 pm
I don't see the new Eveleth/Virginia ever going to AA. Hibbing a slim chance and only if their graduating classes stay at or near 200 for an extended period of time. Unless the mines get going again (and maybe even not then) I just don't see any Range team moving to AA. This is Greenway's last legitimate shot at State and it is a small chance. Hermantown will have to have an off night, Greenway's goalie will have to be outstanding, penalties will have to favor Greenway and lot of stoppage in play. Biondi is the difference maker. Two thing going for Greenway is they are not intimidated by Hermantown and Clafton will have a great game plan. I think the Raiders can do it but everything will have to align right for them.
True understatement greenwayraider. I sure would like to see Greenway get to St. Paul would be so good for their program and nice reward to enjoy a state trip for all the hard work folks put into volunteering in the Greenway program.

They sure have a handful in stopping / solving that young Biondi kid he's the best kid I have seen in the north, not even close.

Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Does this mean greenway is a AA school? Lol congratulations Raiders.

Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:09 pm

I heard Hermantown is petitioning MSHSL to be moved back to 5A, because section 7 competition is unfair, since it is all those teams' fans against their poor beleaguered system in the deep woods and swamps.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:22 am

Couldn't be happier for Greenway fans! The feeling after your team pulls off an upset against a dominant rival is unmatched. Hope to see u in St. Paul if Alex can knock off SCC tonight. Raider, I will buy u a pint. Congrats Greenway! =D>

GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 am

Immigrant Fan wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:09 pm
I heard Hermantown is petitioning MSHSL to be moved back to 5A, because section 7 competition is unfair, since it is all those teams' fans against their poor beleaguered system in the deep woods and swamps.
Lol. Although that would make for a better state tournament. Move the Hawks or SCC back to 5 throw one of the western suburbs into 3 and move New Prague back down to 1A.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am

Who cried more? The players or the parents! :oops:

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 am

BodyShots wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 am
Who cried more? The players or the parents! :oops:
I am guessing the school superintendent. Imagine the enrollment drop because of this. :roll: