Osseo/Maple Grove - What Happens at High School

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

You are either a good coach or you are not. Simple as that. Parent, non-parent, I don't care. I just want the best coach available. If they happen to be related to a kid on the team, okay, if not, that's fine too. Bottom line is do they get the job done, are they developing the players and turning them into well rounded hockey players as well as fine young adults.

It's the parents in the stands that see things that don't exist. I've heard parents run down a parent-coach with the "coach's kid" mantra. I've heard the same parents run down a non-parent coach the next season. Two different coaches, neither one of them good enough for the parents. You know what the common theme was? The parents. Maybe it was the parents that were the issue all along.

I would not say there is any hard/fast rule about at what age a parent-coach is disqualified from coaching. In fact, no such rule exists in my book.

Now, back to the subject at hand.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Didn't OMGHA have a dustup within the last two years where the MG side wanted to break off from the Osseo side and the Osseo kids would have ended up at North Metro? Seem to recall the reason it didn't happen was a lack of ice in MG.
This is correct. North Metro used to feed Park Center HS, but Park Center now co-ops with Osseo HS, so North Metro now feeds Osseo HS.

I'm sure it doesn't help the team dynamic at Osseo HS to be drawing kids from two different associations. To your point, Osseo and North Metro should split off from Maple Grove and combine forces at the youth level, but there's a bunch of infighting around arenas that's preventing that from happening.
The Exiled One

Re: Osseo/Maple Grove - What Happens at High School

Post by The Exiled One »

Stang5280 wrote:TG mainly had a recruiting base in the nearby northern suburbs like Brooklyn Park, New Brighton, Mounds View, Spring Lake Park, etc. The drop off in youth talent from those areas over the past decade has coincided with TG’s own downturn. I know that the current TG roster has several kids from Rogers, due to family connections and/or the weak Rogers HS program.
TG alum Sam Hentges came from New Brighton and played Irondale Youth Hockey. TG raided Irondale talent for a long time. Irondale HS did a good job keeping most of their talent this season, added a rock star coach, and are having their best season in decades. Not saying there's a lot of talent there, but what talent they have they're starting to keep.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

The Exiled One wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:TG mainly had a recruiting base in the nearby northern suburbs like Brooklyn Park, New Brighton, Mounds View, Spring Lake Park, etc. The drop off in youth talent from those areas over the past decade has coincided with TG’s own downturn. I know that the current TG roster has several kids from Rogers, due to family connections and/or the weak Rogers HS program.
TG alum Sam Hentges came from New Brighton and played Irondale Youth Hockey. TG raided Irondale talent for a long time. Irondale HS did a good job keeping most of their talent this season, added a rock star coach, and are having their best season in decades. Not saying there's a lot of talent there, but what talent they have they're starting to keep.
Good points, and I shouldn’t have undersold the fact that Irondale, MV, and SLP have been respectable of late and do have some talent in their systems.

On a side note, I don’t know what the heck is going on with Rogers. The high school team fell off the map in a hurry, and they aren’t even fielding a Bantam AA team this year. The PeeWee AA team is doing well, so hopefully that is a good sign for the future.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

The Exiled One wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:Didn't OMGHA have a dustup within the last two years where the MG side wanted to break off from the Osseo side and the Osseo kids would have ended up at North Metro? Seem to recall the reason it didn't happen was a lack of ice in MG.
This is correct. North Metro used to feed Park Center HS, but Park Center now co-ops with Osseo HS, so North Metro now feeds Osseo HS.

I'm sure it doesn't help the team dynamic at Osseo HS to be drawing kids from two different associations. To your point, Osseo and North Metro should split off from Maple Grove and combine forces at the youth level, but there's a bunch of infighting around arenas that's preventing that from happening.
Actually, it is even more complicated than that. North Metro youth hockey draws from kids who live within the boundaries of Park Center, Brooklyn Center, Fridley, and Columbia Heights high schools. Only Park Center co-ops with Osseo HS, not the whole North Metro association. Fridley co-ops with Irondale, while Brooklyn Center and Columbia Heights are SOL. So unfortunately it isn’t as easy as simply combining the two youth hockey programs.

I believe that Park Center typically only contributes two or three boys to the Osseo cooperative, so the impact is pretty minimal. The Osseo atmosphere still has to be strange since some of the kids may have played at different levels within the OMG youth ranks, along with the addition of the PC players.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hockey59 wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

I spoke with a MG player who left there a few years ago to play Tier 1, Omaha, I believe. I asked him why he would leave MG, if you are good player in the Metro there will be opportunities, was my reasoning. He said it isn't all it appears to be, coaching and development was really lacking. Leaving was the best option for him and he was glad he did it.

Solid Bantam squad from OMGHA this year. Will be interested to see how they progress through the years.
You are correct about MG wanting to separate from Osseo a few years back and the main reason why it didn’t happen. In fact, at the school district level you could go back years ago and there were numerous discussions about breaking the district in half between the Brooklyn Park (Park Center) and Osseo sides, well before Maple Grove HS even existed.

I still think it was a mistake for MG to fire their former head coach, Gary Stefano, who basically was the fall guy for off ice indiscretions. He was an outstanding coach and basically put the program on the map from scratch. I have also heard from friends who have kids at MGHS that it is a rather toxic atmosphere in general at the school, particularly in terms of wealth disparities.
Nothing against Stefano, he did a good job in their early years, but Bergland has got them to a section final as the 4 seed & a State Tourney as the 2 seed. They are young this year, but next year will be the favorite to win the Section. And wealth disparities are present at most of the large suburban schools, I don’t see MG as being all that much different in that regard. And the kid SC Blueliner is referring to who left for Omaha AAA for development purposes?..LOL Pretty sure I know who he isn’t talking about...and I doubt the other MG players missed him much when he left 😉

Favorite to win the section?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Stang5280 wrote: Actually, it is even more complicated than that. North Metro youth hockey draws from kids who live within the boundaries of Park Center, Brooklyn Center, Fridley, and Columbia Heights high schools. Only Park Center co-ops with Osseo HS, not the whole North Metro association. Fridley co-ops with Irondale, while Brooklyn Center and Columbia Heights are SOL. So unfortunately it isn’t as easy as simply combining the two youth hockey programs.

I believe that Park Center typically only contributes two or three boys to the Osseo cooperative, so the impact is pretty minimal. The Osseo atmosphere still has to be strange since some of the kids may have played at different levels within the OMG youth ranks, along with the addition of the PC players.
Columbia Heights is with North Metro for youth and with Irondale for high school.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Stang5280 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:

Actually, it is even more complicated than that. North Metro youth hockey draws from kids who live within the boundaries of Park Center, Brooklyn Center, Fridley, and Columbia Heights high schools. Only Park Center co-ops with Osseo HS, not the whole North Metro association. Fridley co-ops with Irondale, while Brooklyn Center and Columbia Heights are SOL. So unfortunately it isn’t as easy as simply combining the two youth hockey programs.

This is getting as interesting as the other hot thread.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

The Exiled One wrote:
Stang5280 wrote: Actually, it is even more complicated than that. North Metro youth hockey draws from kids who live within the boundaries of Park Center, Brooklyn Center, Fridley, and Columbia Heights high schools. Only Park Center co-ops with Osseo HS, not the whole North Metro association. Fridley co-ops with Irondale, while Brooklyn Center and Columbia Heights are SOL. So unfortunately it isn’t as easy as simply combining the two youth hockey programs.

Columbia Heights is with North Metro for youth and with Irondale for high school.
I was going by the MSHSL page, which lists the co-op as being Irondale, Fridley, and St. Anthony. Perhaps there are currently no CH kids participating? In any event, North Metro splits between Osseo and Irondale at the high school level, which complicates matters.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Stang5280 wrote: You are correct about MG wanting to separate from Osseo a few years back and the main reason why it didn’t happen. In fact, at the school district level you could go back years ago and there were numerous discussions about breaking the district in half between the Brooklyn Park (Park Center) and Osseo sides, well before Maple Grove HS even existed.

I still think it was a mistake for MG to fire their former head coach, Gary Stefano, who basically was the fall guy for off ice indiscretions. He was an outstanding coach and basically put the program on the map from scratch. I have also heard from friends who have kids at MGHS that it is a rather toxic atmosphere in general at the school, particularly in terms of wealth disparities.
Nothing against Stefano, he did a good job in their early years, but Bergland has got them to a section final as the 4 seed & a State Tourney as the 2 seed. They are young this year, but next year will be the favorite to win the Section. And wealth disparities are present at most of the large suburban schools, I don’t see MG as being all that much different in that regard. And the kid SC Blueliner is referring to who left for Omaha AAA for development purposes?..LOL Pretty sure I know who he isn’t talking about...and I doubt the other MG players missed him much when he left 😉

In 2018-2019...without a doubt...look at their Bantam AA team this year.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Stang5280 wrote:I was going by the MSHSL page, which lists the co-op as being Irondale, Fridley, and St. Anthony. Perhaps there are currently no CH kids participating? In any event, North Metro splits between Osseo and Irondale at the high school level, which complicates matters.
That is correct. There are no CH players on the Irondale HS teams. In fact, there is only one Fridley player on the Irondale boys' JV team. The youth numbers in CH and Fridley are pretty low.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hockey59 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
hockey59 wrote: Nothing against Stefano, he did a good job in their early years, but Bergland has got them to a section final as the 4 seed & a State Tourney as the 2 seed. They are young this year, but next year will be the favorite to win the Section. And wealth disparities are present at most of the large suburban schools, I don’t see MG as being all that much different in that regard. And the kid SC Blueliner is referring to who left for Omaha AAA for development purposes?..LOL Pretty sure I know who he isn’t talking about...and I doubt the other MG players missed him much when he left 😉

I'd have to think Blaine is the clear favorite with the ton of sophomores they have playing this year. Next year will be the same group that was back and forth with Minnetonka's #1 bantam team a couple years ago. Youngest team Blaine has had in over a decade and they're still head to head with other 5AA teams this year..
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

Stang5280 wrote: On a side note, I don’t know what the heck is going on with Rogers. The high school team fell off the map in a hurry, and they aren’t even fielding a Bantam AA team this year. The PeeWee AA team is doing well, so hopefully that is a good sign for the future.
Their squirt teams at the A, B1 and B2 levels are all solid this year. Looks like lots of depth in that group.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
I'd have to think Blaine is the clear favorite with the ton of sophomores they have playing this year. Next year will be the same group that was back and forth with Minnetonka's #1 bantam team a couple years ago. Youngest team Blaine has had in over a decade and they're still head to head with other 5AA teams this year..
That’s assuming Brodz & Hillman stick around next season. Heard from a pretty good source that if the 1st leaves...the 2nd is bolting too 😎 Agree that if both stay the edge goes to the Bengals in 18-19
victor maitland

Post by victor maitland »

[quote="MrBoDangles"][quote="hockey59"][quote="Stang5280"][quote="SCBlueLiner"]Didn't OMGHA have a dustup within the last two years where the MG side wanted to break off from the Osseo side and the Osseo kids would have ended up at North Metro? Seem to recall the reason it didn't happen was a lack of ice in MG.

I spoke with a MG player who left there a few years ago to play Tier 1, Omaha, I believe. I asked him why he would leave MG, if you are good player in the Metro there will be opportunities, was my reasoning. He said it isn't all it appears to be, coaching and development was really lacking. Leaving was the best option for him and he was glad he did it.

Solid Bantam squad from OMGHA this year. Will be interested to see how they progress through the years.[/quote]
You are correct about MG wanting to separate from Osseo a few years back and the main reason why it didn’t happen. In fact, at the school district level you could go back years ago and there were numerous discussions about breaking the district in half between the Brooklyn Park (Park Center) and Osseo sides, well before Maple Grove HS even existed.

I still think it was a mistake for MG to fire their former head coach, Gary Stefano, who basically was the fall guy for off ice indiscretions. He was an outstanding coach and basically put the program on the map from scratch. I have also heard from friends who have kids at MGHS that it is a rather toxic atmosphere in general at the school, particularly in terms of wealth disparities.[/quote] Nothing against Stefano, he did a good job in their early years, but Bergland has got them to a section final as the 4 seed & a State Tourney as the 2 seed. They are young this year, but next year will be the favorite to win the Section. And wealth disparities are present at most of the large suburban schools, I don’t see MG as being all that much different in that regard. And the kid SC Blueliner is referring to who left for Omaha AAA for development purposes?..LOL Pretty sure I know who he isn’t talking about...and I doubt the other MG players missed him much when he left 😉[/quote]
Favorite to win the section?[/quote]

Centennial
Maple Grove
Champlin Park
Blaine