For GR Fans Only

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Immigrant Fan
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am
Location: G.R.

For GR Fans Only

Post by Immigrant Fan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Hah, that subject line ought to insure the haters and envious are compelled to look! A couple things.

First, a pleasant reminder during this disappointing season. My AA state tournament season tickets arrived a few weeks ago. The consolation bracket tickets have very nice pictures of Spuds players. The quarterfinal, semifinal and championship session tickets are adorned with pictures of GR players. After having to look at other teams on my tickets over the years, it is very nice to have this lingering reminder of last year.

Second, what are other fans' perspectives on how the team is doing? I thought that for the first time this season I saw some players not hustling during the game against H-M. It looked like some may be giving-up. What has everyone else observed? Does anyone have any insights into how HC Marinucci is handling the challenging season?

Third, I am perplexed by the upcoming schedule changes. The Wayzata game shifted from 7:00 this Saturday to 3:00. That sucks. I have unescapable commitments Saturday afternoon, so will miss it. Then the Bemidji game is rescheduled from Tuesday to Monday. I understand the rules restrictions forbidding the game on Tuesday, but wasn't that predictable?! It seems like a schedule should be pretty well set for the season, especially when you start selling tickets.

Finally, I miss the old team website. It was much more interesting, more active, and useful. It seems to have devolved to a dead-stick. Is there any possibility of it returning to the previous author? Was that Boblee? It was much more relevant back then, with previews of upcoming games, reporting on game results, etc.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

boblee
Posts: 9146
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Fargo, ND
Contact:

Re: For GR Fans Only

Post by boblee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Immigrant Fan wrote:Hah, that subject line ought to insure the haters and envious are compelled to look! A couple things.

First, a pleasant reminder during this disappointing season. My AA state tournament season tickets arrived a few weeks ago. The consolation bracket tickets have very nice pictures of Spuds players. The quarterfinal, semifinal and championship session tickets are adorned with pictures of GR players. After having to look at other teams on my tickets over the years, it is very nice to have this lingering reminder of last year.

Second, what are other fans' perspectives on how the team is doing? I thought that for the first time this season I saw some players not hustling during the game against H-M. It looked like some may be giving-up. What has everyone else observed? Does anyone have any insights into how HC Marinucci is handling the challenging season?

Third, I am perplexed by the upcoming schedule changes. The Wayzata game shifted from 7:00 this Saturday to 3:00. That sucks. I have unescapable commitments Saturday afternoon, so will miss it. Then the Bemidji game is rescheduled from Tuesday to Monday. I understand the rules restrictions forbidding the game on Tuesday, but wasn't that predictable?! It seems like a schedule should be pretty well set for the season, especially when you start selling tickets.

Finally, I miss the old team website. It was much more interesting, more active, and useful. It seems to have devolved to a dead-stick. Is there any possibility of it returning to the previous author? Was that Boblee? It was much more relevant back then, with previews of upcoming games, reporting on game results, etc.
I will only address the final item. Unfortunately, the beloved GRHS Hockey Online won't be coming back. A couple of parents and a former coach stole our model, stole our sponsors and delivered a crapper of a website and social media presence. They wanted to control the message and now there isn't a message. In fact, a current captain told a fan last year that what we did was nice but they GAINED NOTHING from it. The way we were just discarded after 11 years of commitment was about as cool as the performance on the ice this season.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 pm

I will jump on some of that. I'm not the most knowledgeable Rapids fan but I will offer up some opinion.

While it has been a somewhat different type of year, I have to give the team a ton of credit for battling on after losing some high end teammates. After a slow start they have been pretty competitive against a tough schedule.

I also give Coach Nuch a big nod for the improvement shown as the season has progressed. When it looked like the year would spiral out of control they regrouped and have become a team that has been fun to watch.

The forwards and the D crew have improved 10 fold and the goaltending has been off the charts. I grew up watching Clafton and Jetland and Casey... Dom and Sheperd and Stezskal and a few others were really good- but there is something about this Holum guy that stands out. I'm looking forward to watching him on Friday and Saturday nights in the next 4-5 years. Some school is going to be lucky to have him.

I guess I will always wonder what the season may have been if the seniors had returned but will always be grateful for what they did when they were here.

Always proud to be a Halloween Machine fan.

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:07 pm

I will also add that the web presence has definitely gone south. Not sure why that ever changed but Bobber had a nice site going for sure. I think most people would agree with that.

Wet Paint
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I will also add that the web presence has definitely gone south. Not sure why that ever changed but Bobber had a nice site going for sure. I think most people would agree with that.
OK. The title to the post made me look at the thread. If the old site was that good and followed that closely make it again. If the web site was that good and then got dumped and left for dead by the new group those sponsors are probably out there again to be picked up. Change the name, formatting is not something you can copy write and sponsors are fair game. Go for it.

Change the name to something that will show up in google and do your thing.

boblee
Posts: 9146
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Fargo, ND
Contact:

Post by boblee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 am

Wet Paint wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:I will also add that the web presence has definitely gone south. Not sure why that ever changed but Bobber had a nice site going for sure. I think most people would agree with that.
OK. The title to the post made me look at the thread. If the old site was that good and followed that closely make it again. If the web site was that good and then got dumped and left for dead by the new group those sponsors are probably out there again to be picked up. Change the name, formatting is not something you can copy write and sponsors are fair game. Go for it.

Change the name to something that will show up in google and do your thing.
If others have the time, go ahead! If someone wants to do it justice, I'll give them the name. I just won't be doing it. I've taken on other projects that have filled that void for me.

kniven
Posts: 2576
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Post by kniven » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm

I’ve watched Grand Rapids bantamAA Squad a couple of times this winter play CEC’s bantamAA. Some very nice pieces there for sure heading into high school puck next year. The goalie seemed like he might be a 3 year starter in high school? And we head up to Grand Rapids for the last HS game of the year. I’ll never feel comfortable playing the orange in your dome....that’s for sure.

Immigrant Fan
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am
Location: G.R.

Post by Immigrant Fan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Boblee, Moving on can be good. Nonetheless, thanks for the site you did run. I always enjoyed it. Perhaps whoever has the site now will find someone to step up. I wonder what they are getting from it now? Hopefully, more than they are putting into it...of course that would not be hard.

Grind, Thanks for the insights. I have been pleased with the progress over the course of the season. However, last Saturday I did see a couple times where some players seemed to be dogging it to the detriment of their line mates. Perhaps they were getting worn down as the game progressed.

If anyone goes to the Wayzata game tomorrow, I will be interested to hear how they look.

Kniven, I appreciate the comments on the bantams. The district continues to grow and gain population, so I have to believe the long term trajectory remains favorable.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Immigrant Fan wrote:Boblee, Moving on can be good. Nonetheless, thanks for the site you did run. I always enjoyed it. Perhaps whoever has the site now will find someone to step up. I wonder what they are getting from it now? Hopefully, more than they are putting into it...of course that would not be hard.

Grind, Thanks for the insights. I have been pleased with the progress over the course of the season. However, last Saturday I did see a couple times where some players seemed to be dogging it to the detriment of their line mates. Perhaps they were getting worn down as the game progressed.

If anyone goes to the Wayzata game tomorrow, I will be interested to hear how they look.

Kniven, I appreciate the comments on the bantams. The district continues to grow and gain population, so I have to believe the long term trajectory remains favorable.
Agree Immigrant- I do wonder about the crew sometimes. It seems if they laid off the penalties they would be better served. I'll go back to what I said earlier this winter- tough adjustment to playing without the couple guys they grew up with. When you look at what they did against Elk River, Duluth East, Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, and Moorhead in consecutive games, you realize just how good those kids were.

goldy313
Posts: 3274
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Post by goldy313 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 am

MSHSL rules hold schools with ethics hostage to those that don't.
If you held every team to equal standards you might have different state champs.......GR, Lakeville North.....but it is what it is.

WestMetro
Posts: 2527
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Have been following the Machine since my Hounds high school days in the late 60s. (What I remember most is a lot of cold bus rides up, losing, and then cold rides back. Same memories for Hibbing)

Lots of up and down cycles since, way more ups than downs, which very few programs can claim.

The great players ,teams, and games--too many to remember!

And the great dramas!

There will be ups again before you know it.

I still find myself once or twice a month smiling about their win at the X last March!! And the great Section 7 finals last couple years, thanks to Kniven livestream

And also still smiling that I happened to get the scoop on Blakes final decision before any of the pundits and writers

BobLee--was a regular follower of your site for years. It was great! Please make a comeback.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 am

If everyone had come back, all 3 players that left and Klatt, what type of season would Rapids be having?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

WestMetro
Posts: 2527
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Post by WestMetro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 am

Potential repeat team, for sure.

They might have had a tough time with the 2018 Edina team, but with some puck luck here and there you never know...

But the "what ifs" will drive a person nuts, time to luck forward to when the next great GR team will emerge.

mnmouth
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 am

WestMetro wrote:Potential repeat team, for sure.

They might have had a tough time with the 2018 Edina team, but with some puck luck here and there you never know...

But the "what ifs" will drive a person nuts, time to luck forward to when the next great GR team will emerge.
With those 3 players returning the potential for a repeat would have been there. But forget about Edina, even with those players Rapids would have their hands full getting by East, which has a more complete team than Rapids did last year. Goaltending, perhaps, aside.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 am

mnmouth wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Potential repeat team, for sure.

They might have had a tough time with the 2018 Edina team, but with some puck luck here and there you never know...

But the "what ifs" will drive a person nuts, time to luck forward to when the next great GR team will emerge.
With those 3 players returning the potential for a repeat would have been there. But forget about Edina, even with those players Rapids would have their hands full getting by East, which has a more complete team than Rapids did last year. Goaltending, perhaps, aside.
I kind of agree, but Hain and McLaughlin are at another level above any player on East's team. Mr. Hockey would have been one of those two players without a doubt. Against East's top line they would have dominated, however when they are off the ice that is when East would have looked like they were on the PP.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

mnmouth
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I kind of agree, but Hain and McLaughlin are at another level above any player on East's team. Mr. Hockey would have been one of those two players without a doubt. Against East's top line they would have dominated, however when they are off the ice that is when East would have looked like they were on the PP.
I'm glad this is a 'for GR fans only' thread because we can speculate on something that can never be free of folks complaining that we have gotten off topic. I doubt that Hain and McLaughlin would have dominated East's top line. I could just as easily see East's top line dominating them. They likely would have neutralized each other, leaving East to feast on Rapids' lower lines, as you alluded to. However, I wonder if Hain and McLaughlin would have seen more ice time with spot duty on those lower lines. That might have been a problem for East, if those two could handle the extra skating and wear-and-tear pounding that comes with increased time.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 am

mnmouth wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:I kind of agree, but Hain and McLaughlin are at another level above any player on East's team. Mr. Hockey would have been one of those two players without a doubt. Against East's top line they would have dominated, however when they are off the ice that is when East would have looked like they were on the PP.
I'm glad this is a 'for GR fans only' thread because we can speculate on something that can never be free of folks complaining that we have gotten off topic. I doubt that Hain and McLaughlin would have dominated East's top line. I could just as easily see East's top line dominating them. They likely would have neutralized each other, leaving East to feast on Rapids' lower lines, as you alluded to. However, I wonder if Hain and McLaughlin would have seen more ice time with spot duty on those lower lines. That might have been a problem for East, if those two could handle the extra skating and wear-and-tear pounding that comes with increased time.
McLaughlin is pretty close to Mittelstadt talent wise and is rated to be a late first or early second round draft pick. I know at times this season he has led the USHL in scoring. East's top line is very good, but if McLaughlin and or Hain had come back no one else would get any consideration for Mr. Hockey. It was like when Casey came back last year, the Mr. Hockey convo was over with. Hain and McLaughlin are just that good and the rest of their careers will continue to prove it.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

karl(east)
Posts: 6118
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 pm

GR fans, forgive this Greyhound for wandering into this thread to soothe his ego after a loss to Cloquet, but...no, GR with everyone back would not have been as good as East. They'd be a top 10 team with a healthy shot at knocking off the Hounds, but they would not be a dominant force.

These two played a dead-even game in the section final a year ago, and GR lost Miller and Stampohar while East lost no one whose production they haven't been able to replace. East's top line held its own against GR's for the most part last year. Donovan is going to be drafted, and perhaps highly; Worth may not project to higher levels the way others do but as a HS sniper he's one of the best this decade; and Mageau is much better than whoever would've been the third player on that GR line. (And for that matter, Randolph would almost certainly have matched the more defensive Baker line up against McLaughlin and Hain, not WMD, whom he'd have turned loose on the GR lower lines.)

If we're looking for comparisons for what GR could've been, Guyer-Sertich Greenway might be a decent guide, or a stronger version of Strand-Yon Roseau a few years back...awesome when the top two are on the ice, but beyond that, it got thin in a hurry. Bringing Stejskal back obviously wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would help drastically, considering how good Holum has been. Stampohar would have been the biggest loss, IMO...remember what East did to GR when they were down two lesser defensemen in the regular season game last year. It's hard to win many games if your breakout is reliant on two players going coast to coast, especially if you're playing a team that's playing sound system hockey.

Immigrant Fan
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am
Location: G.R.

Post by Immigrant Fan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Nice win for GR last night against Brrmidji (4-1). After a slow start, I thought they did a nice job of picking up the effort. I was especially impressed with Wyatt Miskovich - he showed a lot of energy and hustle. It was kind of reminiscent of the audacity and motor shown by Nate Mondry and Micah Miller in the past. Since he is just a sophomore it was encouraging to see him trying to step-up.

If the whole team skated with the energy and urgency of Jack Burnson (and Miskovich) they could be a real pest for the remaining games.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 am

karl(east) wrote:GR fans, forgive this Greyhound for wandering into this thread to soothe his ego after a loss to Cloquet, but...no, GR with everyone back would not have been as good as East. They'd be a top 10 team with a healthy shot at knocking off the Hounds, but they would not be a dominant force.

These two played a dead-even game in the section final a year ago, and GR lost Miller and Stampohar while East lost no one whose production they haven't been able to replace. East's top line held its own against GR's for the most part last year. Donovan is going to be drafted, and perhaps highly; Worth may not project to higher levels the way others do but as a HS sniper he's one of the best this decade; and Mageau is much better than whoever would've been the third player on that GR line. (And for that matter, Randolph would almost certainly have matched the more defensive Baker line up against McLaughlin and Hain, not WMD, whom he'd have turned loose on the GR lower lines.)

If we're looking for comparisons for what GR could've been, Guyer-Sertich Greenway might be a decent guide, or a stronger version of Strand-Yon Roseau a few years back...awesome when the top two are on the ice, but beyond that, it got thin in a hurry. Bringing Stejskal back obviously wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would help drastically, considering how good Holum has been. Stampohar would have been the biggest loss, IMO...remember what East did to GR when they were down two lesser defensemen in the regular season game last year. It's hard to win many games if your breakout is reliant on two players going coast to coast, especially if you're playing a team that's playing sound system hockey.
The overall team analysis I agree with. It’s just that, good as East’s top line is, Hain and McLaughlin compared to those 3 are on another level. Either of them come back and anyone else in the state is eliminated from Mr. Hockey contention.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:29 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:GR fans, forgive this Greyhound for wandering into this thread to soothe his ego after a loss to Cloquet, but...no, GR with everyone back would not have been as good as East. They'd be a top 10 team with a healthy shot at knocking off the Hounds, but they would not be a dominant force.

These two played a dead-even game in the section final a year ago, and GR lost Miller and Stampohar while East lost no one whose production they haven't been able to replace. East's top line held its own against GR's for the most part last year. Donovan is going to be drafted, and perhaps highly; Worth may not project to higher levels the way others do but as a HS sniper he's one of the best this decade; and Mageau is much better than whoever would've been the third player on that GR line. (And for that matter, Randolph would almost certainly have matched the more defensive Baker line up against McLaughlin and Hain, not WMD, whom he'd have turned loose on the GR lower lines.)

If we're looking for comparisons for what GR could've been, Guyer-Sertich Greenway might be a decent guide, or a stronger version of Strand-Yon Roseau a few years back...awesome when the top two are on the ice, but beyond that, it got thin in a hurry. Bringing Stejskal back obviously wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would help drastically, considering how good Holum has been. Stampohar would have been the biggest loss, IMO...remember what East did to GR when they were down two lesser defensemen in the regular season game last year. It's hard to win many games if your breakout is reliant on two players going coast to coast, especially if you're playing a team that's playing sound system hockey.
The overall team analysis I agree with. It’s just that, good as East’s top line is, Hain and McLaughlin compared to those 3 are on another level. Either of them come back and anyone else in the state is eliminated from Mr. Hockey contention.
We will never know.

Many think Walker will win this year and he would be in the running even if those two had returned.

mnmouth
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:The overall team analysis I agree with. It’s just that, good as East’s top line is, Hain and McLaughlin compared to those 3 are on another level. Either of them come back and anyone else in the state is eliminated from Mr. Hockey contention.
Hain and McLaughlin raised their game through Sectionals and the State title game. They would have returned on another level for their senior seasons. But, as Karl stated, East did well against them last season, and all 3 players on the Hounds' top line would also have another year of experience playing at a high level against top competition. They also would be better. I think any combination of Hain-McLaughlin-Whomever would have been successful against the WMD line in spots, and vice versa.

As far as Mr. Hockey goes, who cares? It's secondary to winning a State championship. Hain and McLaughlin, or any other player, would certainly not trade a championship medal for Mr. Hockey.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 am

mnmouth wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:The overall team analysis I agree with. It’s just that, good as East’s top line is, Hain and McLaughlin compared to those 3 are on another level. Either of them come back and anyone else in the state is eliminated from Mr. Hockey contention.
Hain and McLaughlin raised their game through Sectionals and the State title game. They would have returned on another level for their senior seasons. But, as Karl stated, East did well against them last season, and all 3 players on the Hounds' top line would also have another year of experience playing at a high level against top competition. They also would be better. I think any combination of Hain-McLaughlin-Whomever would have been successful against the WMD line in spots, and vice versa.

As far as Mr. Hockey goes, who cares? It's secondary to winning a State championship. Hain and McLaughlin, or any other player, would certainly not trade a championship medal for Mr. Hockey.
I never said Mr. Hockey was on the same level as a state title. Putting words in my mouth and changing the subject. Was just using it as a gauge to show that yes, Hain and McLaughlin are plain and simply both better players than any of the 3 on East’s top line. This was just a theoretical question on if they cane back. Given they won state and the situation I think they made the right decision to move on. However if they had come back it would have been fun to watch them dominate.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

mnmouth
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Post by mnmouth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 am

Agree, DJ. Just hope we don't have to wait another 37 years for a Rapids run to the title.

elliott70
Posts: 13231
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am

mnmouth wrote:Agree, DJ. Just hope we don't have to wait another 37 years for a Rapids run to the title.
We had to wait 29 years or just to get there.
Hope that does not happen again.
I only have about 45 years left in me.

Post Reply