Edina at Minnetonka, round 3

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Rich Clarke

Edina at Minnetonka, round 3

Post by Rich Clarke »

Edina comes into Minnetonka without two key players (Koumantzis and Vorlicky) for the second time this year against the Skippers, while the one game they were at full strength (winning 8-2) Minnetonka lacked its top defenseman. The game was even at 1-1 before Brinkman broke a skate and was off the ice for five minutes, during which time the Skippers scored two and dominated, demonstrating how important Brinkman is to the Hornets (especially when they are already down a starting D). Two late goals cut it to 4-3 and Minnetonka got an empty-netter with a second or two on the clock.

Interesting that Koumontzis has been out for both Edina losses along with another key player (Crosby in the first game, Vorlicki in this game), and Minnetonka lacked Luedtke in both its two losses (to Edina and Duluth East).

It'll be interesting if both teams can get to state and play each other fully healthy.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Correction: I believe both Crosby and Koumontzis started the first game despite being down with the flu and were pretty ineffective. But either way I'd like to see these two teams at their full strength best in March.
LetMeEatCake

Post by LetMeEatCake »

Rich Clarke wrote:Correction: I believe both Crosby and Koumontzis started the first game despite being down with the flu and were pretty ineffective. But either way I'd like to see these two teams at their full strength best in March.
Komountzis was out due to a one-game academic probation. Agreed that this rubber-match should be a wanted game in State.

I think it will light a fire under Edina just like the last loss to the Skippers did. I also think that the game could have gone either way as the first two periods showed.

Tonka is a legitimate team and have a defense that no one should want to face this time of year!
I can have my cake and eat it too.
Rich Clarke

Cake

Post by Rich Clarke »

When Tonka is on its game, it is as good as anyone. Do you know what the story was on Vorlicky?
LetMeEatCake

Re: Cake

Post by LetMeEatCake »

Rich Clarke wrote:When Tonka is on its game, it is as good as anyone. Do you know what the story was on Vorlicky?
Word is mild concussion. Shouldn't be anything too serious thankfully and he should be back sometime this week. His absence was definitely felt.
Rich Clarke

Vorlicky

Post by Rich Clarke »

Thanks Cake. If the top teams get upset (or lose to an arguably equal team), it's nice if they lose with all their guns and no excuses. It looks like we may get that at state if the top four all make it.
LetMeEatCake

Re: Vorlicky

Post by LetMeEatCake »

Hopefully! I would love to see a Round 4 of this rivalry this year. As much as I want to avoid it too haha. Tonka is scary good with defensemen who move the puck well and big forwards. They both have to navigate sections though which is tricky in 2AA and 6AA.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Agreed. It's a long way for any of the top four to the state semis.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Great game !

Kuomo- a one game issue

Vorlicky slip and fall, non hockey related

Skips benefited more from Luedtke back than Hornets suffered due to Kuomo out

Walker keeps scoring, even with heavy shadowing

Huge game for Glocks

Pagel hasn’t seen a crowd like that since Gardiner era?

Forum Sherwood : keep running into you, wife, and baby daughter!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:Great game !

Kuomo- a one game issue

Vorlicky slip and fall, non hockey related

Skips benefited more from Luedtke back than Hornets suffered due to Kuomo out

Walker keeps scoring, even with heavy shadowing

Huge game for Glocks

Pagel hasn’t seen a crowd like that since Gardiner era?

Forum Sherwood : keep running into you, wife, and baby daughter!
Glockner with a HUGE game! With #3 back, Skippers are a different team! He was sorely missed against DE! Any team with 2 wins over Edina, no matter the circumstance...is pretty fricken GOOD! If Tonka wins out next week & then wins 2AA...they will be the #1 seed at Xcel in March.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree on that 59, as I always do with your Excellent observations!
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

Glockner is #1 on the roster Howe is #30 number 30 was playing last night. So unless I’m missing something Howe had a great game last night! If someone knows more please explain
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

sherwood wrote:Glockner is #1 on the roster Howe is #30 number 30 was playing last night. So unless I’m missing something Howe had a great game last night! If someone knows more please explain
Glockner was in the nets. I was at the game, sitting near some Tonka parents. He is their #1 goalie...nobody was commenting on Howe (who is likely a very good goalie) being in the nets.
LetMeEatCake

Post by LetMeEatCake »

hockey59 wrote:
sherwood wrote:Glockner is #1 on the roster Howe is #30 number 30 was playing last night. So unless I’m missing something Howe had a great game last night! If someone knows more please explain
Glockner was in the nets. I was at the game, sitting near some Tonka parents. He is their #1 goalie...nobody was commenting on Howe (who is likely a very good goalie) being in the nets.
Definitely Glockner for a game of that magnitude. He is part of the reason Tonka's Bantam AA teams won back to back titles. Can be scary good in net.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Tonka’s goalie was wearing #1. The video can be found online.
blueblood

Tonga v Edina

Post by blueblood »

Howe played in the Tonka v Edina JV game, earning a 1-0 shutout
Play Like a Champion Today
CakeScout17

clarity or more confusion?

Post by CakeScout17 »

Again, these teams have provided best hockey matchups Ive seen live at HS level in maybe 3-4 years...so evenly balanced w/ Tonka having the edge in net for sure.
I was behind Tonka net for Edina double-attack and that was Glockner in net - unless he and Atticus Kelly swapped teams for the weekend...? He's just solid. As was Luedtke - yes one player can make the difference.

With these 2 squads whomever seems to possess the full roster with the right mental approach/motivation for the game will win. Tonka motivated to take down the juggernaut Hornets in Schwans Cup and Edina not at full health that game. Tonka wins. Match 2 at Braemar? Payback for Hornets in a 8-2 drubbing on home ice...albeit no Luedtke for Skips. Rubber match? at Tonka and Edina w/o Koumantzis and Vorlicky. Arguably thats your 2nd best 2-way player (top 4 scorer) and your 2nd best D-man. Ouch. Not good.

The fact that Edina was right there at 1-1 deep into 3rd, goes down 4-1 as Brinkman off ice for extended time w/ a bad wheel (blade issue)....then claws back to 4-3 with :16 sec left? Thats good to see some fire and maybe this was a good loss at the perfect time for the Hornets?
Put down the cake, be humbled, regroup and get after it with some hunger fueled by that precious motivation.

Now? IF a couple players can avoid bone-head mode and get their homework in on time to avoid an Incomplete assignment and newsflash! Nextt time you bump your head? Go see the school nurse or your on Family practitioner! IF you go to the team athletic trainer? Automatic 2 weeks off-ice. That said,
DK will/should be back for EP/Wayz end of season run. But no Vorlicky until sections. Bummer. C'mon guys. Even tho you're both committed your college and pro scouts are watching - don't fall into the Bram Scheerer cosmic bunnyhole. Takes awhile to climb back up...and then out.
LetMeEatCake

Re: clarity or more confusion?

Post by LetMeEatCake »

CakeScout

Your takes are golden!
SquirtC'00

Re: clarity or more confusion?

Post by SquirtC'00 »

CakeScout17 wrote:Nextt time you bump your head? Go see the school nurse or your on Family practitioner! IF you go to the team athletic trainer? Automatic 2 weeks off-ice.
I trust their judgment on this one and doubt that he went to the athletic trainer given his family's background....
CakeScout17

Trust is almost as tough to...

Post by CakeScout17 »

come by as a true love.

Yeah - I tilted my head like a newborn beagle then lowered it in a state of speechlessness (rare for me) when I heard MV went to the team trainer/team doc for a 'slip and noggin bump' - on the car door? A-pillar of car door frame? Huh? Wha? - this from not one source, but three. 2 of which have kids in the deep in the vast Hornet program. So - thats 2 weeks out.
(Although Koumantzis missed only 10 calendar days and just 1 game being the CDH tilt and was back for 12/26 versus Mtka - albeit at about 50-60% by eye test).

Shelf the trust my friend. Tangible proof first then open the gates to the "trust building bridges". I guess we will see this Thursday at EP... If MV is out there...? Then my sources can't be trusted anymore and I'll revoke their privileges accordingly... IF MV out for EP & Wyz and not back 'til Sectionals?

Well, "stay GOLD pony boy"! LetMeEatCake and I will be...
SquirtC'00

Re: Trust is almost as tough to...

Post by SquirtC'00 »

CakeScout17 wrote:come by as a true love.

Yeah - I tilted my head like a newborn beagle then lowered it in a state of speechlessness (rare for me) when I heard MV went to the team trainer/team doc for a 'slip and noggin bump' - on the car door? A-pillar of car door frame? Huh? Wha? - this from not one source, but three. 2 of which have kids in the deep in the vast Hornet program. So - thats 2 weeks out.
(Although Koumantzis missed only 10 calendar days and just 1 game being the CDH tilt and was back for 12/26 versus Mtka - albeit at about 50-60% by eye test).

Shelf the trust my friend. Tangible proof first then open the gates to the "trust building bridges". I guess we will see this Thursday at EP... If MV is out there...? Then my sources can't be trusted anymore and I'll revoke their privileges accordingly... IF MV out for EP & Wyz and not back 'til Sectionals?

Well, "stay GOLD pony boy"! LetMeEatCake and I will be...
Yea so ummm Google who his dad is. I trust Vorlicky's family's judgement on this one if he did not play and also think he may have seen someone other than the team's trainer about this one.
CakeScout17

Google Schmoogle

Post by CakeScout17 »

ummmm yeah - nobody arguing who his Daddy is or getting 2nd opinions on the 'diagnosis'...just reporting that 'word on the street' collectively stated that when YOU DO GO DIRECTLY to the team trainer opposed to the school nurse or family Dr. its different protocol. Apparently, once to team trainer and its head related - you automatically follow 2 weeks off-ice protocol. Granted, you can't take any chances with the head/brain, ever. Health before anything for the young man is the precedent, no question - Im sure V family did all the right things. I heard they did as well - one of my ex-collegaues' wife? is related to the V family and I heard synopsis in too much detail earlier today. Small world, small town here in the TC.

But its downright odd when you hear about somebody hitting their head on a car door? and subsequently missing two weeks for 'concussion protocol' yet is well enough to attend the game, walking around with ear buds in listening to music and laughing/joking w/ fellow teammates and JV friends during the entire game - all under the bright lights of Pagel. All of that defies any and all concussion symptoms - thats why it appeared slightly ironic. In addition, no marks, no bruises, no scratches, not even one Flinstone band-aid...just smiles - and good for him.

As stated, I hope it is flawed info and he's back this week - he is/was missed.
If they give award for Most Improved Player on Hornets? Just might be MV...he is leaps and bounds improved from last year - Godspeed to MV!
Goal_Judge

Post by Goal_Judge »

Fun game to watch. Tonka rebounded well from the recent game at Braemar. And with a packed house at Pagel, the atmosphere was great.

What wasn't so great was Tonka having a scorekeeper (looked like a student) who apparently had no idea how to run the clock. Coincidental penalties going up on the board; penalties being put up under the wrong team (with then no idea how to fix the issue); failing to start the clock for several seconds (twice) when Tonka was on a power play, and then not disabling the penalty clocks when there was a carryover penalty between periods. All of these led to numerous delays, which detracted from the flow of the game. Not knowing how to work a clock happens in Squirt B tournaments--it shouldn't happen in a marquis game between #1 and #2 in the State. Not blaming the kid as much as Tonka school administration, who put him in a position to fail and then had no one there to help him when it was obvious there were difficulties.

If Tonka had lost, it could have fallen on the clock operator, as his failure to start the clock during power plays actually came back to bite Tonka (Edina scored with two seconds left in a period, which time never would have existed if the clock issue hadn't happened). For a game like this, it is up to the school to make sure the best personnel are in place to run the game.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree on that Goal Judge

Totally embarrassing!

Could have cost someone the game !
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I had to time shift this game not being available in the afternoon. Thanks to YHH for the archived stream. Fun game to watch.

As others have stated, I would love to see this matchup at state with full, healthy rosters to really prove who the top team really is. Too easy to make excuses or what-ifs when top players are gone. "Well, if they had Player A in the lineup, they would have won" and so on.

I was wondering what the delays were with the administration of penalties and before the start of the periods. On the stream, I wasn't sure if it was the stripes that were having the difficulties, or if there was some newb on the Daktronics console. Kind of killed the pace of the game a little bit, especially in the opening period, for what was all intents and purposes, a meeting of 1 vs 2.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy