Mr Hockey top 10

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Usthockey13

Mr Hockey top 10

Post by Usthockey13 »

Ben Almquist
George Grannis
Demetrios Koumontzis
Luke LaMaster
Luke Loheit
Lucas McGregor
Carter Randklev
Colin Schmidt
Sammy Walker
Garrett Worth
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Strange to see only 1 defenseman, but this senior crop of D men is pretty weak.

Thought Daly, Ziemer, or Jack Olsen might make it over Loheit or Koumo.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

All of these are great players. The only problem I have with the list and it's not a reflection on the kid or his abilities because he is a terrific player and seems like a likeable leader on the team. Should Koumo with only 1 year of high school hockey be considered?
hockey59

Re: Mr Hockey top 10

Post by hockey59 »

Sammy Walker - the front runner
Garrett Worth
Demetrios Koumontzis
George Grannis
Carter Randklev
Lucas McGregor

The winner will be one of the above, most likely Sammy Walker

Ten best players (all grades) I've seen this year:

Sammy Walker - F
Garrett Worth- F
Demetrios Koumontzis - F
George Grannis -F
Lucas McGregor - F
Ryder Donovan - F
Josh Luedke Tonka -D
Ben Brinkman - D
Ethan Fritch - D
Charlie Glockner - G
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ill just say, Imho there were 3 more deserving finalists than 3 who did made the list

Also, I don’t like the trend of first year AAA transfers being eligible and not picking any A finalists . Both bad for mshsl hockey future
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Not completely sure who I would take out but I really think Jake Seitz of Virginia deserves to be on this list.
2015-2016 Regular Season Pick 'em Champion
boblee

Post by boblee »

hockey9011 wrote:Not completely sure who I would take out but I really think Jake Seitz of Virginia deserves to be on this list.
No.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Usthockey13 wrote:Ben Almquist
George Grannis
Demetrios Koumontzis
Luke LaMaster
Luke Loheit
Lucas McGregor
Carter Randklev
Colin Schmidt
Sammy Walker
Garrett Worth
If this is the final top ten, all are clearly deserving of this honor. Like every year, there’s a handful of other kids who are deserving too who aren’t named as top 10 finalists.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Ill just say, Imho there were 3 more deserving finalists than 3 who did made the list

Also, I don’t like the trend of first year AAA transfers being eligible and not picking any A finalists . Both bad for mshsl hockey future
Agreed
kniven

Post by kniven »

hockey9011 wrote:Not completely sure who I would take out but I really think Jake Seitz of Virginia deserves to be on this list.
Agreed. Jake Seitz of Virginia is the best player I have seen this year play CEC.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Not a single player not on a AA top 15 team got nominated.

As usual, there's an eternal debate here as to what exactly this is an award for. Is it for the players with the most high-end potential, regardless of performance? Is it an award for the most productive senior seasons, regardless of high-end potential? An MVP award? A lifetime achievement award? You could make a case that it should be any of these things, but most of the time, it's pretty clearly the first of the four.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

hockey59 wrote:Sammy Walker - the front runner
Garrett Worth
Demetrios Koumontzis
George Grannis
Carter Randklev
Lucas McGregor

The winner will be one of the above, most likely Sammy Walker

Ten best players (all grades) I've seen this year:

Sammy Walker - F
Garrett Worth- F
Demetrios Koumontzis - F
George Grannis -F
Lucas McGregor - F
Ryder Donovan - F
Josh Luedke Tonka -D
Ben Brinkman - D
Ethan Fritch - D
Charlie Glockner - G
Agree with you 59. Watching a game with Walker in it is like watching a game with Casey Mittlestadt in it. Those guys stand out quickly as the best guy on the ice almost every game.

As for Worth- last years run for GR was great, but I will never forget as long as I live seeing Worth go in on Stezskal with seconds left in regulation, and whistle a wrister upper right that just grazed off the goaltenders glove and inches over the crossbar. 7,500 heartbeats stopped for an instant on that play. I think that watching him and Walker go at it at the X would be a memorable night.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

These 10 are all great seniors, but I’d sure like to know who the next 3 vote getters were
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

[quote="kniven"][quote="hockey9011"]Not completely sure who I would take out but I really think Jake Seitz of Virginia deserves to be on this list.[/quote]

Agreed. Jake Seitz of Virginia is the best player I have seen this year play CEC.[/quote]

Not every year, but every 2 or 3 there is a Class A player that is very deserving of a Mr. Hockey nod. But they very rarely get the recognition that they deserve . I understand that the majority of the Mr Hockey candidates come from the top AA schools but I can't remember the last time a class A player was even in the top 10.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Hockeylogger wrote:
kniven wrote:
Agreed. Jake Seitz of Virginia is the best player I have seen this year play CEC.
Not every year, but every 2 or 3 there is a Class A player that is very deserving of a Mr. Hockey nod. But they very rarely get the recognition that they deserve . I understand that the majority of the Mr Hockey candidates come from the top AA schools but I can't remember the last time a class A player was even in the top 10.
Class A finalists in recent years:

2017: Dylan Samberg and Ryan Sandelin from Hermantown

2016: Wyatt Aamodt from Hermantown and Chase Ellingson from Breck.

2015: Dixon Bowen of EGF

2014: None

2013: Adam Johnson of Hibbing and TJ Roo of Totino Grace
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

I can’t say I agree with Colin Schmidt being a Mr. Hockey Finalist. I think he has great potential but after watching him several times I do not Think he is Mr. Hockey Finalist good.

Would love to see Sammy Walker be the first Edina guy to win Mr. Hockey! Not an Edina fan, but I think he’s by far the best candidate to win and he plays with great character.

I’m also surprised to not see Bobby Brink on the Top 10 best players in the state. I’d put him in the top 5.

..On another note, does anyone know how to reply to someone else’s specific reply?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:I can’t say I agree with Colin Schmidt being a Mr. Hockey Finalist. I think he has great potential but after watching him several times I do not Think he is Mr. Hockey Finalist good.

Would love to see Sammy Walker be the first Edina guy to win Mr. Hockey! Not an Edina fan, but I think he’s by far the best candidate to win and he plays with great character.

I’m also surprised to not see Bobby Brink on the Top 10 best players in the state. I’d put him in the top 5.

..On another note, does anyone know how to reply to someone else’s specific reply?
Click on the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner. And Brink is not a senior, so therefore not eligible.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

karl(east) wrote:
GottaloveHShockey wrote:I can’t say I agree with Colin Schmidt being a Mr. Hockey Finalist. I think he has great potential but after watching him several times I do not Think he is Mr. Hockey Finalist good.

Click on the "quote" button in the upper right hand corner. And Brink is not a senior, so therefore not eligible.
i think he was suggesting Brink for the best players any grade that he has seen. See post. I would add Mike Koster from Chaska to the any grade list.
GottaloveHShockey

Yes I was referring to the 10 best players of all grades. Thanks for the tip tho!
Last edited by GottaloveHShockey on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:Yes I was referring to the 10 beat players of all grades. Thanks for the tip tho!
Brink is a really creative player, I’ve seen him play 4 times this season. But he lacks top end speed. Luedke, Doctor, Molinear, Bayless, Lolheit, Brink & Glockner are all GREAT players...but top 10 in all grades? Just #3
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

i think he was suggesting Brink for the best players any grade that he has seen. See post. I would add Mike Koster from Chaska to the any grade list.
Way too early to start talking seriously about it, but since it was brought up, next year's mr hockey should be quite the battle between Donovan, Luedtke, Brinkman, Frisch, and Koster. Obviously another 5 to be added (ie Jensen), and who knows how many stay or go, but certainly some great defenseman candidates!
GottaloveHShockey

[quote="hockey59"][quote="GottaloveHShockey"]Yes I was referring to the 10 best players of all grades. Thanks for the tip tho![/quote] Brink is a really creative player, I’ve seen him play 4 times this season. But he lacks top end speed. Luedke, Doctor, Molinear, Bayless, Lolheit, Brink & Glockner are all GREAT players...but top 10 in all grades? Just #3[/quote]

I 100% disagree. You don’t need top end speed to be one of the best players in the state. We all know Casey Middelstadt isn’t the best skater. Not only does Brink have top end creativity but he has top end vision, is an expert at making plays and walks guys left and right. I do agree Luedke is top 10 tho. Guy is a game changer for Minnetonka...just look at how the game at Edina without Luedke ended vs the game at Tonka with him ended. Not saying it was all him, but a huge game changer. Solid & Reliable.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

GottaloveHShockey wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
GottaloveHShockey wrote:Yes I was referring to the 10 best players of all grades. Thanks for the tip tho!
Brink is a really creative player, I’ve seen him play 4 times this season. But he lacks top end speed. Luedke, Doctor, Molinear, Bayless, Lolheit, Brink & Glockner are all GREAT players...but top 10 in all grades? Just #3
I 100% disagree. You don’t need top end speed to be one of the best players in the state. We all know Casey Middelstadt isn’t the best skater. Not only does Brink have top end creativity but he has top end vision, is an expert at making plays and walks guys left and right. I do agree Luedke is top 10 tho. Guy is a game changer for Minnetonka...just look at how the game at Edina without Luedke ended vs the game at Tonka with him ended. Not saying it was all him, but a huge game changer. Solid & Reliable.
Casey not a great skater...what sort of huka pipe are U smoking? 😉 Casey & Sammy Walker were the 2 best skaters in HS hockey in 2017 & Casey is one of the best skaters on the Gophers as a freshman. Brink is "REALLY GOOD & agree he has great vision. But to call him top 5 in the State as sophomore? Seeing as this was your 5th post, I suspect you are one of his buddies :wink: 😉😎
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Brink and another sophomore CDH Matt Gleason have both had amazing years. Lots of similarities in their strengths.

Both great at passing the puck to open spaces on the breakout and neutral ice, and instinct where to go to anticipate receiving the puck in O zone, or where it will end up off the boards. Both are good forecheckers, although Id give the edge to Gleason there who is relentless. Also both have phenomenal puck vision, footwork and stick control in tight spaces in corners and low slot. Not to mention put puck in net when opportunity is there. Huge points as sophomores!

Both have bright futures, I only hope they both stick around.

Sophs Michaelis and Pino have also had great seasons! LaVelle close behind.
GottaloveHShockey

Ha ha! Nope I don’t know him at all. I just truly think he’s a phenomenal player. I can’t say I’d compare Casey’s skating to Walker’s. I’m not saying Casey is a bad skater, obviously he’s good. Just not the best. He had the best hands tho. Now Walker, that guy is the best skater I’ve seen in a long time.

I have not seen Gleason play yet, unfortunately.