8aa SECTION PREDICTION

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

8aa SECTION PREDICTION

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm

1. Moorhead
2. STMA
3. Brainerd
4. St. Cloud
5. Roseau
6. Bemidji
7. Buffalo
8. Rogers

Rogers 0 - Moorhead 8
Roseau 5 - St Cloud 3

STMA 6 - Buffalo 1
Bemidji 3 - Brainerd 4 OT

Roseau 2 - Moorhead 6
Brainerd 4 - STMA 3 OT

Brainerd 4 - Moorhead 6 ENG

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Moorhead 10 - Rogers 1
St. Cloud 4 - Roseau 2
STMA 3 - Buffalo 2
Brainerd 4 - Bemidji 1

Moorhead 5 - St. Cloud 2
Brainerd 3 - STMA 1

Brainerd 4 - Moorhead 3 (OT)

What the heck, I’ll go bold and go with the Warriors to finally make state.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm going Edina/Duluth East with Moorhead as my dark horse to win it all.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Moorhead 7 - Rogers 0
St. Cloud 2 - Roseau 4
STMA 5 - Buffalo 2
Brainerd 6 - Bemidji 1

Moorhead 2 - Roseau 3
STMA 5 - Brainerd 4 OT

Roseau 5 - STMA 2
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

CornerBar

Post by CornerBar » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am

1. Moorhead
2. STMA
3. Brainerd
4. St. Cloud
5. Roseau
6. Bemidji
7. Buffalo
8. Rogers

Moorhead 9 - Rogers 0
Roseau 3 - St. Cloud 4 OT
STMA 4 - Buffalo 2
Brainerd 3 - Bemidji 0

STMA 1 - Brainerd 4
Moorhead 5 - St. Cloud 2
Moorhead 5 - Brainerd 1

jdh

Post by jdh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Any news on Section 8 games?[/b]

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 pm

jdh wrote:Any news on Section 8 games?[/b]
Roseau lost 7-1 to St. Cloud.

Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

warriors41 wrote:
Ouch #-o

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am

Syd Barrett wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Ouch #-o
Syd,
Did you find someone to take you out of the home and wheel you in your chair over to the arena to watch the game?

BobSaget

Post by BobSaget » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:03 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Syd Barrett wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Ouch #-o
Syd,
Did you find someone to take you out of the home and wheel you in your chair over to the arena to watch the game?
I was at the game...probably could have been worse. Roseau had a few nice forwards but didn't appear to have much on the back end.

St. Cloud has talent in their top 6 forwards and top 3 or so D...but not much depth after that. Noah Bissett was injured in the second period and did not return to the game. I think they'll need him healthy to give Moorhead much of a run. That said, Pete Matanich is an exceptional high school hockey coach who always has his teams ready this time of year.

On another note, it doesn't look like the St. Cloud co-op will end anytime soon. I think it's time to dump the references to Apollo/Tech and just roll with St. Cloud. Rolls off the tongue a little easier.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:47 pm

That was a pretty uneventful quarterfinal round. Buffalo was the only lower seed to put up much of a fight, and that was only thanks to a Braccini brothers scoring binge after STMA went up 4-0. Too bad the semis aren’t at a neutral site, since they should be better matchups.

Definitely not this season the Bison were hoping for given the high expectations surrounding the young players, but they return nearly everyone of consequence for next year and should at least be in mix to host a QF.

Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Syd Barrett wrote:
warriors41 wrote:
Ouch #-o
Syd,
I'm saving my kitchen pass to go up to Bemidji and watch the Moorhead vs Brainerd game and see if the Wizard of Aus can lead the Worriors down the Yellow Brick Road to St. Paul. I'll have the young bucks wheel me and the Shady Bunch to the Geriatric Section so we can watch the game with you :-s

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Will Roseau be in the mix anytime soon for a action title?

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm

mulefarm wrote:Will Roseau be in the mix anytime soon for a action title?
They should at least compete for one again relatively soon. Their bantam team, while not insanely good, is probably the best in section 8 this year. And that is without two of their best forwards that have been injured most of the year and the best bantam age player moving up early to varsity(the younger Huglen brother). Of course you never really know how talent will translate to the high school level or who will stick around(for example this team noticeably misses Ben Helgeson from the youth squads), but at this time I would say in 2-3 years they should be as competitive as far as a section title is concerned. After that group I haven't seen a lot so far however...........................................One question on the comment that it could have been a lot worse for Roseau. I wasn't at the game but I saw the final shots were 28-24 St Cloud. Do you feel St Cloud still got a lot of bad bounces and Roseau got a lot of good bounces that kept this game closer than 7-1? It is just hard for me to believe that St Cloud can look back on that game and say we should be scoring more than 7 goals on those 28 shots. Seems like Roseau should be the one looking back saying that should have been a lot closer game. Especially given that their previous worst section loss was to Moorhead by 4 and the teams played a very even regular season game.

CornerBar

Post by CornerBar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Will Roseau be in the mix anytime soon for a action title?
They should at least compete for one again relatively soon. Their bantam team, while not insanely good, is probably the best in section 8 this year. And that is without two of their best forwards that have been injured most of the year and the best bantam age player moving up early to varsity(the younger Huglen brother). Of course you never really know how talent will translate to the high school level or who will stick around(for example this team noticeably misses Ben Helgeson from the youth squads), but at this time I would say in 2-3 years they should be as competitive as far as a section title is concerned. After that group I haven't seen a lot so far however...........................................One question on the comment that it could have been a lot worse for Roseau. I wasn't at the game but I saw the final shots were 28-24 St Cloud. Do you feel St Cloud still got a lot of bad bounces and Roseau got a lot of good bounces that kept this game closer than 7-1? It is just hard for me to believe that St Cloud can look back on that game and say we should be scoring more than 7 goals on those 28 shots. Seems like Roseau should be the one looking back saying that should have been a lot closer game. Especially given that their previous worst section loss was to Moorhead by 4 and the teams played a very even regular season game.
I was at the game, I couldn't see the Roseau offensive end well for two periods because I was sitting behind the net, but from what I saw they didn't have many good chances. In fact their only goal was an insanely good (also maybe a little lucky) play from the forward on a 1-on-1 where he spun around like twice and roofed it. But other than that they didn't have many rushes. I can't recall a single 2-on-1 from them the entire game.

On the St. Cloud side of things they definitely could have scored a few more. I would say 10 goals for them was easily possible, they had a couple of breakaways and odd man rushes where they just didn't finish or missed the net.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am

Taking nothing away from St. Cloud, who played with much more hustle and heart, but that was the worst Roseau performance of any game this season. I have no answer as to why every area played so lifeless and effortless. I am quite sure we had more power plays than shots generated on the power play. It was an embarrassing night. With that said, I don't think we have to wait 2-3 years to compete for a section title. I will predict now that Roseau will be in the thick of it next year with a chance to get to the state tournament.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 am

I don't know why Roseau played so lifeless and effortless either but being around the game for many years I know if you don't have players that play with passion you will not go very far in the playoffs.Passion, determination and effort have won many games and tournaments over the years.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:53 am

Green and White Fan wrote:Taking nothing away from St. Cloud, who played with much more hustle and heart, but that was the worst Roseau performance of any game this season. I have no answer as to why every area played so lifeless and effortless. I am quite sure we had more power plays than shots generated on the power play. It was an embarrassing night. With that said, I don't think we have to wait 2-3 years to compete for a section title. I will predict now that Roseau will be in the thick of it next year with a chance to get to the state tournament.
That's what I like to hear!!!

March Madness

Post by March Madness » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am

I saw the game as well and as ugly as the score sounds I don't think the netminder played poorly. Like someone mentioned here it could of been worse. He kept the game 0-1 till about a third of the way into the second period with little signs of life from the skaters in front of him. The 2nd and 3rd goals were rebounds off of breakaway's which led to a Ram timeout but nothing changed and the lifeless effort went into a full coma. St. Cloud definitely had a game plan for Huglen bumping and shadowing him at all times. Shots on goal at 28-24 are not indicative of how this game played out. The game was dominated by St. Cloud. The key for me was Roseau's inability to capitalize on numerous power play opportunities and instead, giving up a shorty as well.