7A and 7AA Live Stream

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Duluthguy

7A and 7AA Live Stream

Post by Duluthguy »

On its newscast tonight, WDIO in Duluth announced it’s going to live stream the semis and the finals in both 7A and And 7AA. They said more details would be released next week.

I wonder what the charge to watch will be. My understanding is that the region has expressed concern that streaming will reduce its ticket revenue.
kniven

Re: 7A and 7AA Live Stream

Post by kniven »

Duluthguy wrote:On its newscast tonight, WDIO in Duluth announced it’s going to live stream the semis and the finals in both 7A and And 7AA. They said more details would be released next week.

I wonder what the charge to watch will be. My understanding is that the region has expressed concern that streaming will reduce its ticket revenue.
That is hilarious! It will not reduce ticket revenue but it will promote our 218 around the state, countr, and world. These people can’t make the Amsoil.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I wouldn't think streaming would change ticket sales by much. The people who go to that event will continue to go. The stream will be viewed by those who can't get there. Not sure if that will be many or not. I will certainly pay for the stream.
Duluthguy

Re: 7A and 7AA Live Stream

Post by Duluthguy »

kniven wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:On its newscast tonight, WDIO in Duluth announced it’s going to live stream the semis and the finals in both 7A and And 7AA. They said more details would be released next week.

That is hilarious! It will not reduce ticket revenue but it will promote our 218 around the state, countr, and world. These people can’t make the Amsoil.
I’m inclined to agree with you, but their main concern is the lost revenue from folks from Elk River or Andover, for example—or Coleraine or Virginia on the 7A side—who may decide to watch the stream instead of making the 2-4+ hour round trip to Amsoil. I’d guess there would be some of those, but that revenue would be fairly small.

Maybe they’ll surprise us and make it free. But there is a charge for the state tournament stream, and I’m guessing that generates decent dough.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

It is not Coleraine. It is Greenway. The Greenway school district consists of 7 towns and numerous townships. Your slight to everyone else in the district is more annoying than you can imagine. Being from Duluth I thought you’d be more informed.
grindiangrad-80

Maybe they’ll surprise us and make it free. But there is a charge for the state tournament stream, and I’m guessing that generates decent dough.

I pay for the state tournament stream every year. I bet most ex Minnesota residents do the same. It's in our blood.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I'm surprised so many people feel the broadcast rights for big HS hockey games have no value. Of course it could reduce attendance. No way of knowing really. You could have an idea comparing year over year, but there are other factors.
Be kind. Rewind.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

greenwayraider wrote:It is not Coleraine. It is Greenway. The Greenway school district consists of 7 towns and numerous townships. Your slight to everyone else in the district is more annoying than you can imagine. Being from Duluth I thought you’d be more informed.
I understand. I was giving an example of where folks might drive from, like Elk River, Virginia, etc. which are locations on a map. Since Greenway isn’t a city, I went with Coleraine, which is. I have known many from Marble, Bovey, Taconite, and Calumet, I had a pretty good friend from Lawrence Lake back in the day. No offense intended.

Oh....and I almost forgot Pengilly. I know a couple of Pelusos.
Last edited by Duluthguy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Duluthguy wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:It is not Coleraine. It is Greenway. The Greenway school district consists of 7 towns and numerous townships. Your slight to everyone else in the district is more annoying than you can imagine. Being from Duluth I thought you’d be more informed.
I understand. I was giving an example of where folks might drive from, like Elk River, Virginia, etc. which are locations on a map. Since Greenway isn’t a city, I went with Coleraine, which is. I have known many from Marble, Bovey, Taconite, and Calumet, I had a pretty good friend from Lawrence Lake back in the day. No offense intended.

Oh....and I almost forgot Pengilly. I know a couple of Pelusos.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I will remain vigilant and hope to inform as many people as I can about the makeup of the school district. I don’t mean to sound so picky and critical but it is a sore spot to the rest of the towns. As you might guess I’m from one of those other towns (Bovey). 😀
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

I think charging the cost of a ticket to view an online stream seems fair to me. But if it's free I won't be complaining.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This is perfect. First year since 2010 that I won't be making the trip to Minnesota for the games in Duluth. Since 2003, 2009 and 2010 were the only years I didn't go to Duluth for the semifinals. I think those were the two years GR lost in the quarters at home to Cloquet and at Forest Lake.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Well count one less for the 6A Championship in St Cloud. I was planning on going to that but I will probably be staying home to watch the 7AA feed.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

Is this the end Kniven's annual coverage of that really awesome choir concert?
kniven

Post by kniven »

ZachHalverson wrote:Is this the end Kniven's annual coverage of that really awesome choir concert?
probably. i might be at amsoil for the semi and final too depending how we do against Duluth Marshall on Tuesday.
grindiangrad-80

Any chance for a video feed for Tuesday night in Duluth?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Wdio is $10 per game

Kniven will you be having a choir concert, or should I go ahead and register
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

$35 for the entire 7A/7AA tournament. Not a bad deal at all.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Wdio is $10 per game

Kniven will you be having a choir concert, or should I go ahead and register
Register for the feed.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Based on the current weather forecast, the metro could get some decent snow Saturday, so the 7A/AA streaming option might be the only way to go to catch some HS hockey since getting around town could be a nightmare.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Here's some info from WDIO:

The direct link to the stream is wdio.com/liveplus. The registration hyperlink is in the upper righthand corner.

When you click on the little TV icon next to each game, the pricing pops up, which is $9.95 per game, or $14.95 for a semi-final double-header, or $34.95 for all six games.

The games will also be available as Video On Demand. Once the game has aired, registered users can watch the game again as many times as they would like. Also if you missed the game, you can purchase an On Demand ticket and view the game(s) later.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Duluthguy wrote:Here's some info from WDIO:

The direct link to the stream is wdio.com/liveplus. The registration hyperlink is in the upper righthand corner.

When you click on the little TV icon next to each game, the pricing pops up, which is $9.95 per game, or $14.95 for a semi-final double-header, or $34.95 for all six games.

The games will also be available as Video On Demand. Once the game has aired, registered users can watch the game again as many times as they would like. Also if you missed the game, you can purchase an On Demand ticket and view the game(s) later.
Ridiculous. It costs more to watch the games online than in person…

What else do you get with a purchase of the games?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Traxler wrote:
Duluthguy wrote:Here's some info from WDIO:

What else do you get with a purchase of the games?
That is only taking into consideration ticket price. If you factor gas and food costs then online is cheaper. That doesn't factor in your driving time and parking. If you think your time isn't worth anything then I have a job opening for you.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Tickets for you and the wifey... $14.00

Eating out in Duluth... $50.00

Drive to Duluth from twin cities... $ 25.00

Watching the game from home in your Lazy-Boy... Priceless!
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Traxler wrote:
A ticket for last night's East/Rapids game was $10, so the per game price for the stream is the same....

Granted, you get both semi-finals when you buy one ticket to attend in person, but we don't know those prices yet. I'm guessing that ticket price is in the $15 range. And you get all 6 games for $35, which would be a lot cheaper, so it may depend on how you buy.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

For those in the Cities, or live 2-3 hours away from Amsoil, the streaming package is a steal. Looking at the Friday/Saturday semifinal alone, you either have two separate round trips for gas each day (~$40/round trip), or have to factor in overnight lodging (~$125). That's before ticket and parking costs and whatever your time is worth. Even if you just drive up for Saturday's games, you're looking at costs well beyond the $15 online price for the semifinal pair.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy