Any upsets inthe early rounds starting today?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Any upsets inthe early rounds starting today?

Post by elliott70 »

International Falls (5) vs Duluth Denfeld (4)
Winona/Cotter (10) vs Austin (7)

Hibbing/Chisholm (7) vs Greenway/Nash-Kee (2)
North Shore ( 8 ) vs Hermantown (1)

Bagley/Fosston (10) vs Kittson Central (7)
Red Lake Falls (9) vs Park Rapids Area ( 8 )

Eveleth-Gilbert Area (6) vs Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl (3)
Wadena-Deer Creek vs St. Cloud Cathedral

Hopkins vs Armstrong/Cooper
Red Wing vs Minnehaha Academy

Rogers vs Moorhead
Bemidji vs Brainerd

Buffalo vs STMA
River Lakes vs Little Falls

Fergus Falls vs Alexandria
Prairie Centre vs Sartell-St. Stephen

Fairmont vs Willmar
Worthington vs Windom

Forest Lake vs Elk River
St. Francis vs Andover

Duluth Marshall vs Cloquet-Esko-Carlton
Becker/Big Lake vs Northern Lakes

Moose Lake Area vs Sauk Rapids-Rice
Legacy Christian vs Mora/Milaca

La Crescent vs Faribault
Dodge County vs Hastings

Roseau vs St. Cloud
Grand Rapids vs Duluth East

East Ridge vs Park of Cottage Grove

BOLD 4 - 5 games
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat »

Northshore taking down the Hawks would be a big upset but it’s not going to happen. Hibbing or Eveleth could play spoiler but highly unlikely. I’ll go with the broncos vs the hunters. Not really an upset but if they advance to the next game and win, that my friends will be an upset.
backrinkrat

Post by backrinkrat »

Northshore taking down the Hawks would be a big upset but it’s not going to happen. Hibbing or Eveleth could play spoiler but highly unlikely. I’ll go with the broncos vs the hunters. Not really an upset but if they advance to the next game and win, that my friends will be an upset.
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

I suppose Hibbing and Eveleth could keep it close if they stay out of the penalty box and get great goal-tending. I think the first lines of Greenway and Virginia is just going to be too much though.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Setting aside the 5 vs 4 seed contests, which are typically a toss up anyway, I think two of the games with significant upset potential are in 8AA: #7 Buffalo vs #2 STMA and #6 Bemidji vs #3 Brainerd. Both are rivalry games where the teams know each other extremely well, and the lower seed in each case features a strong goalie who could steal a game. The major question is whether Buffalo or Bemidji can generate enough offense to pop a few goals, but both should be able to keep things close and at least make the favorites sweat.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I think due to goaltending both Grand Rapids and Forest Lake are possible section quarterfinal upsets.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Traxler wrote:I think due to goaltending both Grand Rapids and Forest Lake are possible section quarterfinal upsets.
Either would be a 'shocker'.
Both would be unbelievable, but the other top 3 would be awful excited.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

elliott70 wrote:
Traxler wrote:I think due to goaltending both Grand Rapids and Forest Lake are possible section quarterfinal upsets.
Either would be a 'shocker'.
Both would be unbelievable, but the other top 3 would be awful excited.
I would say that is the understatement of the year Elliott. Most people knew this quarterfinal was likely around Christmas time. I'm pretty sure East won't be overlooking the orange and black. As a matter of fact, I'm guessing East will come out with a barrage.

If GR is still in the game half way through the 1st they will be doing okay. Holum is one of the best net minders I have watched at this level. Hoping he can keep them in this one is asking an awful lot.
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

Geez Elliott I figured you would have picked Bemidji to upset Brainerd :-k
Wouldn't be the 1st time Brainerd lost a home sectional game :oops:
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

If Greenway doesn’t bring their “A” game this could be a candidate for an upset. Any team that can beat Alexandria and Virginia and tie Marshall is dangerous. Eveleth does not have a signature win so don’t see them hanging with Virginia.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Syd Barrett wrote:Geez Elliott I figured you would have picked Bemidji to upset Brainerd :-k
Wouldn't be the 1st time Brainerd lost a home sectional game :oops:
It might happen but the Jacks will need to stop on the way down somewhere and pick up a sniper and one more D.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

My 4-5 upsets are the Falls and Roseau.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

greenwayraider wrote:If Greenway doesn’t bring their “A” game this could be a candidate for an upset. Any team that can beat Alexandria and Virginia and tie Marshall is dangerous. Eveleth does not have a signature win so don’t see them hanging with Virginia.
Green Machine 6
Hibbing 1
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:If Greenway doesn’t bring their “A” game this could be a candidate for an upset. Any team that can beat Alexandria and Virginia and tie Marshall is dangerous. Eveleth does not have a signature win so don’t see them hanging with Virginia.
Green Machine 6
Hibbing 1
You were right on about the five goal margin. Greenway’s speed was too much for Hibbing. Good goaltending and good puck movement. Raiders took way too many penalties. Can’t do that against Virginia and expect to win.
kniven

Post by kniven »

I’m looking forward to the Virginia vs. Greenway game the most then Marshal vs. East. I’m going to go with Virginia and Duluth Marshall. I’ll also take the Elk River Elks in the game vs. Andover. That’s some great hockey!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

More like running time. :oops: